Sleight of Hand is phenomenal

eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004
I think this is an absolute masterpiece of a song. Could be one of the bands most underrated songs. Absolute gem of a song

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops

Comments

• I like this song a lot, particularly on the 2000 boots.  Not sure it is A tier though.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    I absolutely love this song. But they really have to nail it, for it to come off well. Sure hope they play it at one of my shows this year. Missed it in 2022.

I went to 7 Euro shows in 2000, hoping to hear this song. They played it the second show after I came home. But I got it later, a few times.
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 796
    The winery named after it is also pretty rad.
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    eboweddie said:
    I think this is an absolute masterpiece of a song. Could be one of the bands most underrated songs. Absolute gem of a song

100% agreed. Was listening to Binaural yesterday. The whole album is SO good and this song is at the top. What a shame it gets so little love. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Yeah it is. One of my favorites for sure. 
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,441
    This and parting ways are my two favorite PJ songs. Love binaural!
  • The song sounded 'off' to me when Binaural first came out, but then I remember cleaning my apartment with that House of Blues stream they did through the.. ??Real Media player?? in, like '03 or something and everything about it just "clicked."  Been lucky enough to hear it a couple times live. The first time I did, on the Riot Act tour, it near cleared out the pavilion, sending everyone on a beer/bathroom run, and I was just like "Y'all dont get it!"
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Didn’t they play it at the Apollo show?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    Love this song. I was in GA for the 2022 rescheduled OKC show. Before the show as we were waiting, I spent some time talking to a couple from Texas who were next to me. We got around to asking what songs we really wanted to hear that night. My answer was Sleight of Hand. Sure enough, a few songs in they played it. The guy who I had been talking to slapped me on the back and had the biggest smile on his face. I think he was as happy for me getting the song I wanted to hear as much as I was getting to hear it.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    It took me years to appreciate this song, but it is now one of my favorites, as is Binaural.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • It's my white whale song.  63 shows and......nothing.  Hoping I get lucky this year.  
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    yes.....i was blown away, Parachutes as well
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,441
    Sleight, parachutes, HTI back to back to back was an incredible moment. I feel extremely fortunate to have been there. 
  • AB285441AB285441 Posts: 201
    edited February 29
    One of my absolute favorite songs by them...the song can really grip you and take you away...I first heard it live at Beacon Theatre show and was hooked - Coupled with Harvest Moon cover and Undone, I was in PJ bliss..  Caught it in Brooklyn in 2013 again...it is a true masterpiece of theirs.  
    Post edited by AB285441 on
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    steven87 said:
    Sleight, parachutes, HTI back to back to back was an incredible moment. I feel extremely fortunate to have been there. 
    the open bar was a nice touch ;) ....i feel same way

Robin from Stern show, running into Baba Booey in parking garage on way home......seeing all the portraits of the great Apollo performers on the way up the stairs to the balcony.....tremendous 

I found out i was in night before...an awesome dude Named Andy offered my GF his extra, they know each other....she then offered to me cause she did a club show @ the Fonda in LA years back and wanted me to experience one  :ohstop:

It was one of the best weekends ever, next night I was in GA @ MSG on emotional 9/11 show with all the 1st responders.....truly blessed

• DEGBTIDEGBTI Posts: 964
    one of my favorites for sure. Time is running out, please play in Vegas!!
  • Got it in Manchester a few years ago

OK, just checked and it was 2009, man time is flying
  • 77777777 Posts: 163
    This song is fantastic.  I especially like the faint bell jingle, it's like a slow-motion horse gallop. Just sick!

• It’s also so satisfying to play on the guitar!
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    Yes. I heard it from outside (😥). Live stream. Tears stream.
  • bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 761
    OP - Couldn’t agree more 😘
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Posts: 14,352
    Definitely one of their best. It's like poetry.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,462
    eboweddie said:

Agreed!
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    eboweddie said:

☝️I have always thought this too.
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    Love it live! As mentioned, especially on the 2000 boots. 

Not so much into the studio version.
    I will swallow poison
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,842
    Niko80 said:
    Love it live! As mentioned, especially on the 2000 boots. 

Not so much into the studio version.
    same here 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    When I finally caught it at OKC in 2022 it changed my opinion on the song.  Ed talked about it and it really hit home on life after 2020.  A mere 22 years after release it became an instant favorite and powerful song for me.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    Yes. Yes it is.
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    I love this song and Ed at his best lyrically.  Only heard it live once.  
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    The song sounded 'off' to me when Binaural first came out, but then I remember cleaning my apartment with that House of Blues stream they did through the.. ??Real Media player?? in, like '03 or something and everything about it just "clicked."  Been lucky enough to hear it a couple times live. The first time I did, on the Riot Act tour, it near cleared out the pavilion, sending everyone on a beer/bathroom run, and I was just like "Y'all dont get it!"
    Damn, that is sad.  It is so powerful.