Options

"Dark Matter" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,328
    edited March 25
    BF25394 said:
    Maybe Running isn’t being sent as a radio single, but it’s just a song released for consumption?

On another note, both Running and Dark Matter on in the top 8 of the top songs on the PJ artist page in Apple Music. Those songs haven’t changed in a long time.
    Yes, that's what I'm assuming. They released it as a teaser for the album, but it's not really a "single" in the conventional sense. (Technically, singles in the conventional sense generally don't exist anymore, but an emphasis track for radio is serving the same purpose that singles served.)

Are the other six songs the ones I'd expect (i.e., the six songs that still get played regularly on the radio): "Alive"; "Even Flow"; "Jeremy"; "Black"; "Daughter"; and "Better Man"?
    Well, almost, it was Elderly and YL instead of daughter and betterman. Although it’s shifted again and they’ve dropped down to #10 or so. Still nice to see them so high up in the count for new tracks!
    I actually asked a friend about this after that post and, when he looked, I thought he said that "Just Breathe" was one of the two songs (with "Yellow Ledbetter").

EDIT: I now realize that it's not necessary to have Apple Music to be able to see this, so I can see that the current top ten are: 1) "Even Flow"; 2) "Black"; 3) "Alive"; 4) "Just Breathe"; 5) "Jeremy"; 6) "Yellow Ledbetter"; 7) "Better Man"; 8) "Daughter"; 9) "Running"; 10) "Dark Matter."

It's interesting that "Just Breathe" and "Yellow Ledbetter" are clearly very popular but get practically no airplay on the stations that play the other six songs. It makes sense why "Ledbetter" isn't played since it wasn't a single and because of the way it's sung. And "Just Breathe" doesn't fit the oldies format that a lot of these "modern rock" stations now have (although it is, incredibly, 15 years old now). Maybe in another fifteen years when people who are 25-39 now become nostalgic for the 2010s.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,147
    Speaking of radio, I have an alternative “oldies” station that is seriously good. No ads or djs, just great music. Atlanta, 97.5

They  play SOLAT, Garden, and Deep a decent amount!  Nice to hear those non single tracks get played! They also play the standards too.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,422
    I think Running is the actual 2nd single. Not just a random release. It still can be played on radio. I mean have you heard some of these newer pop songs with tons of profanity. It'll just be muted. Sure they're sending radio an edited version 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Original post updated on Tuesday, March 26, 2024. "Dark Matter" remains number one on the Mainstream Rock Airplay and Canada Rock charts but falls down to No. 2 (behind Linkin Park's "Friendly Fire") on Hot Rock & Alternative Airplay while reaching a new peak of No. 7 in Alternative Airplay. The song also slips a notch from last week's peak of No. 19 on the Triple-A chart.
  • Options
    Running has not been added to any stations as far as I've seen
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    igotid88 said:
    I remain baffled as to why this was released when it was. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 615
    igotid88 said:
    I remain baffled as to why this was released when it was. 
    I think they had a different single in mind for radio but DM is doing better than they expected so they decided to hold off and went with a deep cut instead of stepping on it
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,186
    Just heard DM on 100.1 in NH. It’s a modern/classic rock hybrid station.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,574
    igotid88 said:
    What's the dirty version?
  • Options
    In the clean version, the sewage has been removed from the plumbing.
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    igotid88 said:
    They muted out "shit" and "fucking"
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,910
    igotid88 said:
    Spunkie said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's no fun.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    igotid88 said:
    Spunkie said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's no fun.

It's for radio airplay or for montages that they'll probably do for March Madness 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,910
    igotid88 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    igotid88 said:
    Spunkie said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's no fun.

It's for radio airplay or for montages that they'll probably do for March Madness 
    I know. I always used to hate the radio edits when I actually listened to the radio.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    spankyMP said:
    Just heard DM on 100.1 in NH. It’s a modern/classic rock hybrid station.

New England for the win

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    My favorite radio edit was the clean version of Tool's "Aenema" (from the album Aenima). In the chorus, where it goes, "Any fucking time, any fucking day, learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay," the expletives are dropped out and it creates a kind of rhythmic silence that goes, "Any [pause] time, any [pause] day," etc. Describing it doesn't do it justice. If you know the song, you know.

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,759
    BF25394 said:
    My favorite radio edit was the clean version of Tool's "Aenema" (from the album Aenima). In the chorus, where it goes, "Any fucking time, any fucking day, learn to swim, see you down in Arizona Bay," the expletives are dropped out and it creates a kind of rhythmic silence that goes, "Any [pause] time, any [pause] day," etc. Describing it doesn't do it justice. If you know the song, you know.

I dont think I heard this version before. I always had the CD playing in my car.  That doesn't happen too often anymore though, considering most cars don't even have CD players these days.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    edited March 28
    The last part of "Killing in the Name" by RATM is always funny on the radio. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

I dont think I heard this version before. I always had the CD playing in my car.  That doesn't happen too often anymore though, considering most cars don't even have CD players these days.
    Ha ha. I see what you did there.
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    (silence) YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME!
    MOTHER(silence)!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,495
    edited March 28
    BF25394 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    MOTHER(silence)!
    That's mostly it but the version I heard took Zachs last scream and put it after "Mother", so you heard it twice. Haha
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    Yeah, my 2020 Pacifica has a CD player. I made sure to purchase one with movie screens, because I can play my CDs like the old days. Between my CDs and SiriusXM channels 22 (Pearl Jam) and 34 (Lithium), I'm as happy as a pig in fecal matter. 
  • Options
    Damn, it's hard to believe that I'm actually approaching 300 comments on this site. I can't understand how some members have more than 30,000 comments. Wow! 
  • Options
    Original post updated for charts for week ending April 6, 2024. "Dark Matter" spends a fourth week at No.1 in Mainstream Rock Airplay and on the Canada Rock chart. "Running" debuts on the charts, but is not getting much airplay.
  • Options
    Original post updated for charts for week ending April 13, 2024. "Dark Matter" falls out of the number one spot at Mainstream Rock Airplay. It remains number one on Canada Rock.

"Running" exits the download charts after one week. It has not gotten any airplay traction.
  • Options
    Original post updated for charts for week ending April 20, 2024. "Dark Matter" is no longer number one on any chart, but still remains in the upper regions of several different charts.
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 615
    Honestly kinda impressive 2 months later
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    Still shocked Running was a single.....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Still shocked Running was a single.....
    I'm not sure it really was a "single" in the conventional sense (which is sort of obsolete now anyway). It wasn't worked to radio at all. It was just more of a teaser for the album.