Options

"Dark Matter" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,331
    we're over 3 million streams on Spotify after yesterday.... give it another day or 2 and it will have more streams in 3 weeks than "Take The Long Way" has had since it's release lol
    "Take the Long Way" is taking the long way...
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,249
    we're over 3 million streams on Spotify after yesterday.... give it another day or 2 and it will have more streams in 3 weeks than "Take The Long Way" has had since it's release lol
    wow, interesting 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 582
    edited February 28
    Edit: NM, I made the mistake here
    Post edited by BloodMeridian80 on
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,424
    Singles usually do better than album tracks. I thought Take the Long Way should have been a single
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Singles usually do better than album tracks. I thought Take the Long Way should have been a single
    Yup, but Take The Long Way has had 4 years to marinate... 

Dark Matter could have been a slow burn, especially with the streaming services. Instead it seems to have gained mega attention with Playlist Creators and Radio.

By all means, i know singles, especially lead singles tend to do wayyyy better than album tracks that were all dropped at one time, but Pearl Jam's "Unplugged" album that was released to streaming in 2020 during the heart of the pandemic did crazier numbers than Gigaton that was released like 5-6 months before it, if that says anything about who is streaming these songs and what they prefer to hear consistently...

Dark Matter currently sits at 3,171,477 streams just on spotify vs Take The Long Ways 3,769,721... 

Not long before Dark Matter catches up to River Cross total of 3,909,168.... which I thought was a stand out track on Gigaton, but i know it was not a single (even though Eddie did play it solo on TV a few times during the pandemic....) 

I personally think it's doing very well for the lead single to the album. Not sure what DOC or Superblood Wolfmoon had 3 weeks after release, but if PJ could get Dark Matter on a movie or TV sound track, you might see those numbers for DM double or triple over night...
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Yup, but Take The Long Way has had 4 years to marinate... 

Dark Matter could have been a slow burn, especially with the streaming services. Instead it seems to have gained mega attention with Playlist Creators and Radio.

By all means, i know singles, especially lead singles tend to do wayyyy better than album tracks that were all dropped at one time, but Pearl Jam's "Unplugged" album that was released to streaming in 2020 during the heart of the pandemic did crazier numbers than Gigaton that was released like 5-6 months before it, if that says anything about who is streaming these songs and what they prefer to hear consistently...

Dark Matter currently sits at 3,171,477 streams just on spotify vs Take The Long Ways 3,769,721... 

Not long before Dark Matter catches up to River Cross total of 3,909,168.... which I thought was a stand out track on Gigaton, but i know it was not a single (even though Eddie did play it solo on TV a few times during the pandemic....) 

I personally think it's doing very well for the lead single to the album. Not sure what DOC or Superblood Wolfmoon had 3 weeks after release, but if PJ could get Dark Matter on a movie or TV sound track, you might see those numbers for DM double or triple over night...
    I posted what DOTC and Dark Matter did their first 10 days on Spotify and YouTube. And DoTc was slightly ahead. I don't remember Unplugged doing crazy streaming numbers. I mean most of us had some form of that album for 27 years at the time. But that said those songs are familiar.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

I can't speak to the streaming numbers specifically, but if you follow the link in the original post to the Gigaton chart thread, you can see where those songs placed on various charts upon release and for weeks thereafter.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,910
    March 1st. Pearl Jam Hits No. 1 For The First Time On Two Billboard Charts

• Options
    demetrios said:
    These articles are misleading. They've had number 1s on rock and alternative charts. Just not this particular chart. Daughter,  Better Man,  World Wide Suicide,  Given to Fly,  Just Breathe, and Sirens are some for example that wentbto #1 on a Billboard chart
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    demetrios said:
    These articles are misleading. They've had number 1s on rock and alternative charts. Just not this particular chart. Daughter,  Better Man,  World Wide Suicide,  Given to Fly,  Just Breathe, and Sirens are some for example that wentbto #1 on a Billboard chart
    And "Who You Are," of all songs!
  • Options
    Original post has been updated to reflect complete information for week ending March 9, 2024.

"Dark Matter" falls from No. 1 to No. 2 on the two charts it topped last week. Linkin Park's new song supplants Pearl Jam at the top of the Rock & Alternative Airplay chart by debuting at No. 1. A song by Bad Omens that has been on the chart for 77 weeks replaces "Dark Matter" atop the Hot Hard Rock Songs chart.

"Dark Matter" makes a nice move from No. 39 to No. 26 on the Triple A chart. The song seems a bit heavy for Triple A so I'm not sure how much more room there is to improve, but it has already done better at Triple A than I would have expected, so who knows?
  • Options
    That Linkin Park song's video has 4.1 million view in 11 days. Dark Matter just got to a million after almost a month. Even after good reviews and word of mouth. I've heard of Bad Omens but haven't heard a song. Not sure which song it is. I heard a few on YouTube. Sounds similar. Not something I would think would be on the chart for 77 weeks. Especially doesn't sound Hard Rock
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    That Linkin Park song's video has 4.1 million view in 11 days. Dark Matter just got to a million after almost a month. Even after good reviews and word of mouth. I've heard of Bad Omens but haven't heard a song. Not sure which song it is. I heard a few on YouTube. Sounds similar. Not something I would think would be on the chart for 77 weeks. Especially doesn't sound Hard Rock
    The Bad Omens song is "Just Pretend."

The Linkin Park song ("Friendly Fire") is getting more airplay at alternative rock stations (No. 9 to Pearl Jam's No. 10), while Pearl Jam is getting more airplay at Mainstream Rock stations (No. 3 to Linkin Park's No. 8). You would think this would give Pearl Jam the overall edge for Hot Rock & Alternative Airplay, but it doesn't, presumably because the Alternative Airplay panel is bigger than the Mainstream Rock Airplay panel.

With respect to the YouTube numbers, Linkin Park is more popular than Pearl Jam. But it also has something to do with the fact that "Friendly Fire" is a ballad, whereas "Dark Matter" is hard and heavy. Ballads will always have greater crossover/mainstream potential. This is further illustrated by the fact that the Linkin Park has enough overall consumption, including digital sales, to rank at No. 2 on the Bubbling Under the Hot 100 chart. This effectively means that it is No. 102 across all genres. "Dark Matter" likely never even got to the top 200 across all genres.
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 328
    Linkin Park, thought we got rid of these knobs🤮🤮🤮🤮
  • Options

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Original post updated for airplay charts for week ending March 16, 2024. Thanks, igotid88, for the heads-up on the Apple/Amazon thread.

Additional info from the article linked to in the other thread: last week (i.e., reflected on the charts for the week ending March 9, 2024), "Dark Matter" was streamed 876,000 times and digitally downloaded 1,000 times. In case anyone wonders, the most-streamed song in the U.S. that week ("Carnival") was streamed 32.2 million times.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Original post updated with all information for charts for week ending March 16, 2024. Congratulations, Canada, for getting with the program.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312
    So it's doing pretty well then?

I am more than ready for the next single to drop at this point. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Hopefully they release a music video to give it another boost. Or an SNL appearance 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

Number one on three different rock charts in two countries? Pret-tay, pret-tay, pret-tay good, indeed.

I'm not sure they would want to cannibalize their own airplay by dropping another single right now. Having said that, "Superblood Wolfmoon" was released four weeks after "Dance of the Clairvoyants," so repeating that would mean a second song should be dropping... well, now.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:

Number one on three different rock charts in two countries? Pret-tay, pret-tay, pret-tay good, indeed.

I'm not sure they would want to cannibalize their own airplay by dropping another single right now. Having said that, "Superblood Wolfmoon" was released four weeks after "Dance of the Clairvoyants," so repeating that would mean a second song should be dropping... well, now.
    I like it better with at least 2 months between singles. I guess releasing more singles early helps with the streaming numbers but it didn't with Gigaton.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

I like it better with at least 2 months between singles. I guess releasing more singles early helps with the streaming numbers but it didn't with Gigaton.
    Me, too. I liked the old days when singles would be at least 12 weeks apart.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,562
    Great read. Happy Dark Matter is doing well. 
    I haven't heard it yet.. For once I keep away to get everything exposed to me in the first full album listen. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    Niko80 said:
    I haven't heard it yet.. For once I keep away to get everything exposed to me in the first full album listen. 
    Hearing the first single before an album release is not a bad thing 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 616
    If they are more concerned with promoting the single that would be a possible concern, but if they are more interested in pushing the full album then another single is the way to go. If DM is getting airplay because people just love that song, a second single shouldn’t impact it much. And perhaps the goodwill DM has built will prime the pump for a bigger hit next.
    We are pretty much halfway between the announcement and the street date, I’d expect a second single sooner than later.
  • Options
    kmcmanus said:
    If they are more concerned with promoting the single that would be a possible concern, but if they are more interested in pushing the full album then another single is the way to go. If DM is getting airplay because people just love that song, a second single shouldn’t impact it much. And perhaps the goodwill DM has built will prime the pump for a bigger hit next.
    We are pretty much halfway between the announcement and the street date, I’d expect a second single sooner than later.
    We should possibly get another single at least a week before the album release 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 575
    They released 3 before Gigaton release, hopefully one more soon
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,562
    igotid88 said:
    Niko80 said:
    Hearing the first single before an album release is not a bad thing 
    Yeah, I know it is not a bad thing. That is the way I have always done it. I don’t know, I just feel like consuming this one differently. Never done it before. 
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    edited March 13
    Dark Matter now has more streams on Spotify (4.3 million) than

Take The Long Way (3.7 million) 
    River Cross (3.9 million) 
    Buckle Up (4 million) 
    Comes Than Goes (4.1 million) 
    Never Destination (4.2 million)
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,312