Dark Matter now has more streams on Spotify (4.3 million) than

Take The Long Way (3.7 million) 
    River Cross (3.9 million) 
    Buckle Up (4 million) 
    Comes Than Goes (4.1 million) 
    Never Destination (4.2 million)
    How many streams does Johnny Guitar have?  ---just for comparisons sake
    5.7 Million 

Give it 3-4 more weeks and it will be there!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,352

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    5.7 Million 

I don't know. I don't see any song eclipsing that number. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 334

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    138,000,000, and counting🤟🤟
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,481
    More better comparison would be with Dance of the Clairvoyants. After 41 days DOTC had over 6.38 million plays. Right now DM has been out 1 month.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Haijay said:

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    138,000,000, and counting🤟🤟
    This seems about right with the overall hugeness of JG back in Pearl Jam's glory days of 2009/2010. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,811

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    5.7 Million 

5 million of those are from @mcgruff10
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,944
    D-Rod said:

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    5.7 Million 

Could be top three songs of all time! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    D-Rod said:

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    5.7 Million 

It's between Johnny Guitar or Black amongst most knowledgeable PearlJaManiacs (that's what we call ourselves).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,944
    mcgruff10 said:
    D-Rod said:

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    5.7 Million 

It's between Johnny Guitar or Black amongst most knowledgeable PearlJaManiacs (that's what we call ourselves).
    I don't even know how this could be up for debate, johnny guitar by a country mile over black.  it's not even close.  Case closed, end of discussion.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,495
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    D-Rod said:

Buckle Up (4 million) 
    5.7 Million 

I don't even know how this could be up for debate, johnny guitar by a country mile over black.  it's not even close.  Case closed, end of discussion.
    Fun fact about Johnny "Guitar" Watson: his highest-charting song on the Billboard Hot 100 peaked at No. 41, just one spot shy of having his name read from coast to coast by Casey Kasem.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Original post updated for charts for week ending March 23, 2024.

In its fifth week, "Dark Matter" shows staying power by holding steady atop three charts. It also reaches a new peak on the Alternative Airplay chart.

• Options
    DM will need about 1.5 million more Spotify plays in the next 7 days to match what DOTC after 44 days. And about 700k more youtube views. But it's definitely getting more rock airplay.

I guess it helped DOTC that they released the 3 music videos.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 651
    igotid88 said:
    DM will need about 1.5 million more Spotify plays in the next 7 days to match what DOTC after 44 days. And about 700k more youtube views. But it's definitely getting more rock airplay.

I guess it helped DOTC that they released the 3 music videos.
    I know it doesn’t count for charts but the hockey promo and ncaa bumper music usage is pretty high too. I’m encountering this one in the wild more often than anything they’ve done since at least Just Breathe
  • Options
    I was wondering if they would count the 30 seconds we heard on the website we used?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    It would suck if after all the vinyl variants and all the hype over the first single if it doesn't sell at least the same amount the first week
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    It would suck if after all the vinyl variants and all the hype over the first single if it doesn't sell at least the same amount the first week
    That's tough just because of the trajectory of physical album sales. Selling 40,000 would be a 30 percent decline but still a really good number. I don't think the variants will make that much of a difference. Maybe it boosts it by a thousand. Not many people are going to buy more than two variants.

igotid, I think you know this, but I just want to be sure so that you don't go into a deep depression when the May 4 charts come out: there is no way this album is going to debut at number one. Taylor Swift probably pre-sold more copies of her album on the night of the Grammys than Dark Matter will sell in its entire shelf life.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's tough just because of the trajectory of physical album sales. Selling 40,000 would be a 30 percent decline but still a really good number. I don't think the variants will make that much of a difference. Maybe it boosts it by a thousand. Not many people are going to buy more than two variants.

igotid, I think you know this, but I just want to be sure so that you don't go into a deep depression when the May 4 charts come out: there is no way this album is going to debut at number one. Taylor Swift probably pre-sold more copies of her album on the night of the Grammys than Dark Matter will sell in its entire shelf life.
    I know. I don't expect it in the top 5 even. Taylor also has 5 versions with a different bonus track in each one 
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I do expect it to be No. 2 in sales. Where it lands on the Billboard 200, who knows? Top 5 would be a nice achievement under the current rules.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I do expect it to be No. 2 in sales. Where it lands on the Billboard 200, who knows? Top 5 would be a nice achievement under the current rules.
    I was hoping for a Billboard 200 #1 for every decade they've been around
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Take solace in the fact that the Billboard 200 is a joke, and it has been so since 2014.
  • Options
    I'm really glad to see Pearl Jam still has very significant influence nearly 33 years after releasing Ten. Of course, having their own SiriusXM channel in North America doesn't hurt. I feel comfortable saying that I believe Pearl Jam is the best American rock band of all time, especially considering how the band has tweaked their sound in various ways over the decades. 🥑 
  • Options
    All 11 Pearl Jam studio albums have reached the top five on the Billboard 200 chart. Two of them, Riot Act and Gigaton, debuted at number five. The other nine albums were either first or second on the Billboard 200. I feel like Dark Matter will debut somewhere between third and fifth on that chart. We'll find out in about a month! 
  • Options
    All 11 Pearl Jam studio albums have reached the top five on the Billboard 200 chart. Two of them, Riot Act and Gigaton, debuted at number five. The other nine albums were either first or second on the Billboard 200. I feel like Dark Matter will debut somewhere between third and fifth on that chart. We'll find out in about a month! 
    The formula for the chart changed in 2014. If the pre-2014 formula had been in place in 2020, Gigaton would have debuted at No. 2 instead of No. 5. Dark Matter will face the same chart-formula headwinds as Gigaton.

By the way, in addition to the new Taylor Swift album, there is also a new Springsteen greatest-hits album being released on April 19. With there already being multiple "best of" Springsteen sets on the market, I'm not totally sure what to expect from this new one, but Bruce is not someone to be underestimated when it comes to placement on the album chart (though he faces the same headwinds as Pearl Jam under the current formula).
  • Options
    So far on Spotify "Running" isn't doing as well as DM. The visualizer video is blocked in the U.S.. So that's probably 100k viewers lost
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I wonder how it will do at radio? Surprised there wasn't a music video for DM. Maybe there is and they haven't released it. Like with Getaway 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Yeah, what's up with that video? At first I thought it was because it wasn't midnight yet in my time zone, but that's obviously no longer true.

I'm not entirely sure that this song has been serviced to radio. Radio stations won't just spontaneously play it (unless there was some sort of groundswell of listener demand for it), and they need an edit because of the naughty language. I checked the playlists of the local L.A. "alternative rock" stations last night, and neither had played it, but both are still playing "Dark Matter." KROQ played "Dark Matter" three times yesterday, if I recall correctly.

A video for "Dark Matter" would have fit in nicely on MTV Live but, alas, there isn't one.
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,199
    Maybe Running isn’t being sent as a radio single, but it’s just a song released for consumption?

On another note, both Running and Dark Matter on in the top 8 of the top songs on the PJ artist page in Apple Music. Those songs haven’t changed in a long time.
  • Options
    edited March 25
    Maybe Running isn’t being sent as a radio single, but it’s just a song released for consumption?

On another note, both Running and Dark Matter on in the top 8 of the top songs on the PJ artist page in Apple Music. Those songs haven’t changed in a long time.
    Yes, that's what I'm assuming. They released it as a teaser for the album, but it's not really a "single" in the conventional sense. (Technically, singles in the conventional sense generally don't exist anymore, but an emphasis track for radio is serving the same purpose that singles served.)

Are the other six songs the ones I'd expect (i.e., the six songs that still get played regularly on the radio): "Alive"; "Even Flow"; "Jeremy"; "Black"; "Daughter"; and "Better Man"?
  • Options
    I would think Running would not do well on the radio. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,199
    edited March 25
    BF25394 said:

Yes, that's what I'm assuming. They released it as a teaser for the album, but it's not really a "single" in the conventional sense. (Technically, singles in the conventional sense generally don't exist anymore, but an emphasis track for radio is serving the same purpose that singles served.)

Are the other six songs the ones I'd expect (i.e., the six songs that still get played regularly on the radio): "Alive"; "Even Flow"; "Jeremy"; "Black"; "Daughter"; and "Better Man"?
    Well, almost, it was Elderly and YL instead of daughter and betterman. Although it’s shifted again and they’ve dropped down to #10 or so. Still nice to see them so high up in the count for new tracks!