So, how do you grade Dark Matter?

Comments

• AA295481AA295481 Posts: 108
    3 - In the middle of the pack of Pearl Jam songs
    I would rate it a middle of the pack song, I've only listened to it about 5 times, I don't plan on listening to it again, i would perfer to wait until the whole album comes out, I would rather hear it in context of the album
  • my_wavemy_wave Posts: 346
    2 - Below average Pearl Jam song
    I think like most pearl jam songs it will be better live, but it falls short for me as an overall song, the last minute is epic, aside from that it's ok, it just seems empty and overproduced/compressed like it's missing something... but my opinion may change over time, the sound quality on youtube doesn't help my opinion, maybe I'm not able to hear what others can yet
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • rahjiimrahjiim Posts: 147
    4 - One of the greater Pearl Jam songs
    I'm at 3.5, so that makes it 4. I like it a lot, but had no time to listen with nö distraction. 
  • LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 810
    edited February 14
    I don't love it.  Might grow on me.  Had similar feeling when MYM came out.  DOTC on the other hand I loved quickly, and still do. 
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • Busch896Busch896 Posts: 52
    I think it will be awesome live, with the chorus becoming a sort of chant from the crowd. Shows promise for the new album. Really wish you could hear Ed a little clearer. The Record Store Day clip sounds much better than on Spotify/Youtube. 
    Philly 4-29-2016 ● NYC 9-11-2022 ● Camden 9-14-2022 ● Ft Worth 9-15-2023 ● Austin 9-18-2023 ● Philly 9-7-2024 ● Philly 9-9-2024 
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    Probaby a more honest reflection for me is between 3 and 4.  I never know the lyrics until they are published so that part doesn't bother me. It's always hard to decode Ed until I can sing along while reading the lyrics then start picking it up

Just love the riff, guitar solo, drum work.  top notch.  my favorite studio first single off an album since spin the black circle. - yeah im gonna go back that far.
  • VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,816
    I like it as much as Dance of the Clairvoyants which was a great single for the last record, and is already Pearl Jam canon, and I think this one will be too.  One reason I really like this one is that while I'm technically not able to rank it as a strong choice for a single vs the rest of the album, I do think it's one of the best lead singles they've put out in 12 albums of material.  I can compare how much I enjoy it versus their other lead singles, with all of those songs having the distinct advantage of feeling like old friends :)  

For me, compared to the other lead singles:
    DM = DOTC, STBC, NAIS (some of my all time favorites)

DM > The Fixer, MYM, WWS, I am Mine (By a lot)

DM < Given to Fly, Who You Are, Go, Alive  (some of my all time favorites)

I'm the type of guy that would have a hard time picking my top 25 PJ songs, and the next 25 would be still hard to choose.  But I really like this one a lot already.  It has me more excited than any of these since Yield.
  • HenriettaLowellHenriettaLowell Cologne, Germany Posts: 125
    edited February 14
    JPPJ84 said:
    It’s good but I miss a melody. It just doesn’t get stuck in my head
    It‘s the opposite for me: I‘ve not been able to get the intro and first verse out of my head since listening for the second time. So much so that I‘ve been worried I might get sick of it

Overall, to me, it‘s not on a par with the first two Gigaton singles, but it‘s a really solid song. Great energy and I love Ed‘s vocals, especially in the verses. As often for me with Ed in the current phase, the little cracks and weird enunciation to go with the melody arcs make the difference

Edit: typo
    Post edited by HenriettaLowell on
  • lazyjc22lazyjc22 Posts: 130
    I like the song, but honestly, it didn't give me the same feeling DoTC did when I first heard that.  That one really made me excited to hear the new album.  Like, I couldn't wait for Gigaton to come out after hearing Dance. But this one - meh..  And I feel bad that's how I feel about it bc I truly am excited for some new Pearl Jam. I don't dislike it, but, as someone else said, it's not "stuck in my head"....  Reminds me of how I felt when Mind Your Manners was released.  Though now I really really dig MYM, so maybe this one will grow on me like that one did.  Definitely can see where live this one could be killer though - kind of like the album Quick Escape Mike vs the live Quick Escape Mike...
    Mike's solo at the end does get washed out a bit in the mix, but I could see it killing live. 
  • bonebone Posts: 498
    edited February 14
    After 24+ hours of absorbing it, I've got it middle of the pack overall. 

My biggest concern with Watt being involved was that it would sound like an Andrew Watt album, and unfortunately this is drenched in Watt-isms.  Overdriven drums and too much of the low end coming from a guitar tone drenched in Watt's signature fuzz tone rather than Jeff.  Even picking up a little too much auto tune on Eddie, though not as much as some of the other Watt albums where it's to the point of being distracting.  

It's good enough for me to be excited for the album though.  
    Post edited by bone on
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Habit4meHabit4me Posts: 155
    edited February 14
    I'll be brutally honest. I know we are only 2 days in since it was released, but after 20+ spins, this song is just BLAH to me. I can't even see it growing on me, because as others have said, there really is no melody at all to it. I can't understand a damn thing Eddie is singing and the song is just really repetitive. I told my wife last night that this is hands down, my new #1 ''bathroom break'' song. 

That said, I'm looking forward to hearing the next single and the rest of the album. But this song aint doing it for me. 
    Post edited by Habit4me on
  • GhostChileGhostChile Posts: 1,140
    a little better than Ole
    Mexico City 17/7/2003 Mexico City 18/7/2003 Mexico City 19/7/2003 Santiago Chile 22/11/2005 Santiago Chile 23/11/2005 Buenos Aires Argentina 13/11/2011 Santiago Chile 16/11/2011 Lima Perú 18/11/2011 Sao Paulo Brasil 31/3/2013 Buenos Aires Argentina 03/4/2013 Santiago Chile 06/5/2013 Santiago Chile 4/11/2015 Buenos Aires Argentina 7/11/2015 Porto Alegre Brasil 11/11/2015 Sao Paulo Brasil 14/11/2015 Brasilia Brasil 17/11/2015 Belo Horizonte Brasil 20/11/2015 Rio de Janeiro Brasil 22/11/2015 Bogota Colombia 25/11/2015 Mexico City 28/11/2015 Ft. Lauderdale, FL 8/4/2016 Miami, FL 9/4/2016 Tampa, FL 11/4/2016 Santiago Chile 13/3/2018 Santiago Chile 16/3/2018 Rome Italy 26/6/2018 Prague Czech Republic 1/7/2018 Krakow Poland 3/7/2018 Berlin Germany 5/7/2018 Barcelona Spain 10/7/2018 Dana Point, CA 1/10/2021 Dana Point, CA 2/10/2021 Seattle, WA 28/05/2024 Seattle, WA 30/05/2024
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    I’m not expecting it to become a big favorite but it made me more excited for hearing the rest of the album so I guess it’s an effective 1st single.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I think it's too soon to grade against other songs.  I need to hear it live first.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,493
    I've done another few listens . It's very thin and empty as a song I actually saw a black circle cover that sounded more full and better. I like the feel of it but the guitars need more full chords or thicker sound . To  me it still is like a one finger on one fret guitar playing if that makes sense. Prob not
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • GetRight13GetRight13 Posts: 587
    Like the song, just don't like the sound of the mix, especially on the snare drum and eds vocals in parts.  I think its gonna sound great Live though, cant wait to hear it!
    2023 Austin 1 & 2
    Ottawa 09/03
    MSG 1 & 2
    2013 Brooklyn (10/18, 10/19) Philadelphia (10/21, 10/22)
    2012 Atlanta 09/22
    2009 Albany 06/08 (Eddie Solo)
    2008 Bonnaroo 6/14
    2006 Albany 05/12
    2005 Philadelphia 10/03
    2000 Saratoga Springs 08/27
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 651
    I graded it mostly as a first single from an album. Still way too early to rate it against the rest of their catalogue. I find it to be quite groovy and melodic. I'm also digging the snare fill (drums overall) building into the solo into the last chorus. The bridge is not my favorite.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,830
    For the purposes of getting excited about a new album, it's on point. Like DotC, I'll listen to it so much that hearing the rest of the album will likely make me downgrade it (Retrograde & Quick Escape are my top 2 from Gigaton).

It's a strong first impression and I'm already certain Dark Matter will be my Spotify "Most played" track this year, but I have a feeling we're in for even better tracks come April 19th
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,613
    Its a 3.5. But most of their songs are. will rip live

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    1 - In the bottom tier of Pearl Jam songs
    I didn't expect to be the only negative Nelly.  Sorry.  Maybe it will grow on me.  I can only hope.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • eloviateeloviate Posts: 58
    4.2 - love it. Sounds vital. Athletic even. MC is on a charge, and perhaps signalling a changing of the guard… Muffly Ed: don’t care, love Riot Act. Seems they love what they’ve done, imagine the shows later to come
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited February 14
    I love it but playing it safe and giving it a 3 for now. We’ll see how it holds up after the excitement of new music and tour starts to settle in. It has the potential to be a 4.
  • Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 159
    edited February 14
    Blah for me. I had such high hopes but that just isn't the sound I'm looking for. I want more of Mike and Stone, not the metal riff sound. A lot of the other snippets of songs from the back door sound good though. I heard one of them say Dark Matter is the best song they have done in a while and I am pretty shocked that they feel that positive about it. The other thing is, the last couple years they have been trying to save Ed's voice on tour, but I find it hard to believe they would play this every night. 
    Edit: I hate even typing this on this forum. 
    Post edited by Jcanr20 on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think it's too soon to grade against other songs.  I need to hear it live first.
    Agreed, and they need time to work it out live, too. The first time they played Lightning Bolt at Wrigley in 2013, it wasn't very good. Over time though it has become a great live song. 

Interested to hear how much of what people don't like about Watt on the recording disappears on the stage. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    Like the song, just don't like the sound of the mix, especially on the snare drum and eds vocals in parts.  I think it’s gonna sound great Live though, cant wait to hear it!
    Yeah with the exception of Can’t Deny Me, this is their worst “sounding” song. Hopefully the entire album isn’t like that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • retroponyretropony Posts: 350
    Middle of the pack for me. I don't know why, but Eddie adding a W to words that don't have one is distracting to me.....that second line. It seems he does it a lot more often now
    Washington DC 2008
    Charlotte NC 2013
    Greenville SC 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
  • hugepjfanhugepjfan Posts: 114
    4. Love it. Listened all day on repeat. Still have a couple questions about lyrics despite what has been posted thus far. 
    HugePJFan
    "...You try it, I give you the room, you try..."
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,335
    hugepjfan said:
    4. Love it. Listened all day on repeat. Still have a couple questions about lyrics despite what has been posted thus far. 
    The official lyrics were posted on Apple Music (and reposted here in a separate thread). That should answer your questions.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,007
    Wow, people really aren't getting this one stuck in their head??? you just haven't listened enough...

I found myself screaming "IT'S.... STRANGE.... THESE DAYS..." at work today in my head and played the song at least 5 times throughout the day. I don't even care if those are the right lyrics. 

That phaser on the guitar, which is very prominent after the first chorus, reminds me of No Code/Binaural eras of song writing. They seem to be going out there, even if this is a little quick song they decided to throw at us first. The taste they've given us gives me hope for the album, and I think thats all you really need from the lead single.

The lyrics are more ominous and could be about a variety of things, unlike Gigaton which felt like a "hate" letter to the then U.S. administration. 

That scream from Eddie??? I mean come on!!! He's not getting any younger. And Mike's solo is absolutely unreal. I have a feeling this one will rip live, and isn't that like 50% or more the reason we love them??? 

is it the best PJ song ever? By no means. Will it fit with their catalogue and stand out in a setlist lets say sandwiched between career spanning songs like Why Go and Lightning Bolt? 100%. 

"STILL EVERYBODY ELSE PAYS.....
    FOR SOMEONE ELSE'S MISTAKE!" 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I rated it a 3, kind of mid?  It doesn't suck, but it's not near the most amazing things in their catalog. It's ok.   Kind of missing a good course or melody to sing a long to.   It's also possible it'll grow on me, I've only listened to it a half dozen times so far :)