Options

So, how do you grade Dark Matter?

So, a day after release. How do you sum the single up?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

So, how do you grade Dark Matter? 293 votes

5 - Top Tier Pearl Jam song
4%
droptheleash2216bigbiggzyGo AnimalrmachughDC29940BH107178CM189191BG285137Stixumdrummer1D-RodSugarloafer04wilson25JmCat46 14 votes
4 - One of the greater Pearl Jam songs
24%
YoyomaVedd Heddigotid88jack cameronEdVedder_1VINNY GOOMBAhalvsmalltownfateDevilsCotbucklyshranknooramsachtrivhugepjfanon2legsforiginalsinvedpunkshadowcastSPJjust_oneChazz 73 votes
3 - In the middle of the pack of Pearl Jam songs
59%
CantKeepmedowncincybearcatboneAmple JarhenchmanNewJPagenot4u10evenflow82SOLAT319primussucksTheSkyEtcHorse2345AllNiteThingNiko80scorp65A.G. PennypackerLedbetterman10stateofloveandpjHailHailVitalogyohdeardad 173 votes
2 - Below average Pearl Jam song
10%
mca47fall by the waysidemy_waveTheGossmansmile6680DPrival78mckayDP13nadahombreprlLiftedtexasistheSTEVENpledgeagrievanceHabit4meFlying MXZfrisbiecFW46778SputNicksaldingjv76 30 votes
1 - In the bottom tier of Pearl Jam songs
1%
ceskaewok pantsddeschler 3 votes

Comments

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,336
    I've listened a fair bit. This is my take.
    I love the drums. I can't hear the bass.
    I love Ed's voice but I'm not a fan of stretching words like heart in second line.on reflection when the excitement of new music settled I find it a bit of an empty one string guitar riff I would like more meat to that guitar. I like it. Interested to hear more to see where this leads. Just my worthless opinion though.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 701
    I like it. It's a good song, but it will work better within an album amongst a few songs with hopefully a little more substance.

I like that the guitars are heavier and that Matt doesn't sound so restrained.
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    I think there should be a 3.5 option that is "A good Pearl Jam song".

Instrumentally I like it. Lyrically, from what I gather, I like it. It doesn't exactly sound typical of Pearl Jam, so I dig the Soundgarden-esque departure.

Hard to hear EV in the mix, which made it harder to discern the lyrics. Perhaps a smidge repetitive. I wonder if a Jeff/Matt power section or additional soloing would've created more balance.

That being said, I'm a big fan of respecting artistic decisions. This song is a banger, and I ike it. Is it great? Maybe. For now, I know it's really good. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,442
    It’s good but I miss a melody. It just doesn’t get stuck in my head
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,650
    edited February 14
    JPPJ84 said:
    It’s good but I miss a melody. It just doesn’t get stuck in my head
    This exactly for me as well.  I’ve listened to it like 20 times and feel like I haven’t really memorized a line of it.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,010
    Love the guitar solo and drumming. It's definitely not a sing along type song. Gives me a bit of Cant Deny Me vibes, though its a better song than Cant Deny Me. Overall I would rate it as solid.

• Options
    MH143221MH143221 Posts: 37
    edited February 14
    It’s exactly what I want in a rock hard/rock song. The drums, the riff, the solo. I can totally see the crowd bouncing and screaming “for someone else’s mistake.” I will be at least. 
    Post edited by MH143221 on
    Charlotte 96
    Greenville 98
    Knoxville 98
    West Palm 00
    Atlanta 03
    MSG 03
    Asheville 04
    Camden 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Columbia 08
    Atlanta 09 (EV Solo)
    Seattle 09
    Seattle 09
    MSG 10
    MSG 10
    Pensacola 12
    Wrigley 13
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,378
    Good song yes but like someone else stated it’s not sticking in my head even after 10 listens! I’m not walking around humming or trying to sing it but it’s probably just me! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    I think it’s one of their best songs since yield, I love it.  Overall wouldn’t make my top 10 so I can’t say top tier, but it’s close.
  • Options
    BagCzechBagCzech Posts: 418
    3days said:

Instrumentally I like it. Lyrically, from what I gather, I like it. It doesn't exactly sound typical of Pearl Jam, so I dig the Soundgarden-esque departure.

Hard to hear EV in the mix, which made it harder to discern the lyrics. Perhaps a smidge repetitive. I wonder if a Jeff/Matt power section or additional soloing would've created more balance.

That being said, I'm a big fan of respecting artistic decisions. This song is a banger, and I ike it. Is it great? Maybe. For now, I know it's really good. 
    Concur with having a 3.5. This is why you see a lot of polls now that are a 6 point scale vs 5 point. With a 5 point you can just pick 3 if you’re in the middle, but with a 6 point scale, you’re forced to pick either 3 or 4. There’s no option for just average. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,324
    edited February 14
    BagCzech said:
    3days said:

Concur with having a 3.5. This is why you see a lot of polls now that are a 6 point scale vs 5 point. With a 5 point you can just pick 3 if you’re in the middle, but with a 6 point scale, you’re forced to pick either 3 or 4. There’s no option for just average. 
    3 is average, it clearly states:  "3 - In the middle of the pack of Pearl Jam songs"

Is it in the middle pack of PJ songs (3) or is it one of the greater PJ songs (4). Two clear tiers. I think.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    edited February 14
    I like the song, but honestly, it didn't give me the same feeling DoTC did when I first heard that.  That one really made me excited to hear the new album.  Like, I couldn't wait for Gigaton to come out after hearing Dance. But this one - meh..  And I feel bad that's how I feel about it bc I truly am excited for some new Pearl Jam. I don't dislike it, but, as someone else said, it's not "stuck in my head"....  Reminds me of how I felt when Mind Your Manners was released.  Though now I really really dig MYM, so maybe this one will grow on me like that one did.  Definitely can see where live this one could be killer though - kind of like the album Quick Escape Mike vs the live Quick Escape Mike...
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    Middle of the pack overall for me, but the best song by far they've put out since Lightning Bolt.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,846
    edited February 14
    This song was unappreciated by two non-fan relatives in my car. Kinda grinding in the background when they didn't want it loud. I dislike the negative words, especially as a lost love, although I like the dip in Ed's voice as he sings that part. Hard to understand the lyrics and not sure what they mean yet, as I'm still trying to hear them. Gonna have to read along to the words this week til they stick so I don't make my own shit up.

Good drums and Mike screech. Woke up early with it playing in my head. I'm happy the guys jammed one out! Can't wait to rock to it!

Edit: If I had to grade this as a teacher in real life, I'd give it a 4, for overall effort.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    2 - Below average Pearl Jam song
    Not into Pro tools Pearl Jam 
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,714
    I hope it grows on me. Way better than DOC
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,267
    I love it, but still putting it in the middle of the pack for now, which is not too shabby if we are being honest. Could easily be a 4 upon further reflection. I'm trying to think of comparable rockers that it should be above or below in order to really rank it appropriately in time. 
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Philly 9/7/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,353
    I just wish it was longer!  The solo at the end feels like that should be the middle of the song and there should be another minute or 2.  Very good song but there's alot of songs in their catalog that are better.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    I just wish it was longer!  The solo at the end feels like that should be the middle of the song and there should be another minute or 2.  Very good song but there's alot of songs in their catalog that are better.
    Agreed 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Spunkie said:
    This song was unappreciated by two non-fan relatives in my car. Kinda grinding in the background when they didn't want it loud. I dislike the negative words, especially as a lost love, although I like the dip in Ed's voice as he sings that part. Hard to understand the lyrics and not sure what they mean yet, as I'm still trying to hear them. Gonna have to read along to the words this week til they stick so I don't make my own shit up.

Good drums and Mike screech. Woke up early with it playing in my head. I'm happy the guys jammed one out! Can't wait to rock to it!

Edit: If I had to grade this as a teacher in real life, I'd give it a 4, for overall effort.
    I took like the dip in ed s voice there and agree with your take too
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Are you allowed to feel that the tone/sound of the guitar solo is a tad "squeaky" ?
  • Options
    It is and  may I say it's not very technical and generic I love mike's blues and wah style 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 481
    It's different, which I am all for at this point, even if it's not as much of a departure as DOTC. Ed's vocals are tough to make out, and I'm not crazy about the overall Wattage. I LOVE Mike and Matt unleashed. Overall I'm meh about it.
    May your days be long, til kingdom come.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,714
    Are you allowed to feel that the tone/sound of the guitar solo is a tad "squeaky" ?
    Yes
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,761
    It's a 3 for me as far as the overall discography goes. But if we were just looking at the post-90's albums, I'd rate it a 4. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,510
    I give it a solid B to B+ after the first 24 hours.  I do feel like I will like it more as time goes on.  Especially after hearing it live.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,066
    In the middle only because there are so many great ones. I love it...can't wait for the rest.

It will be great live and I bet they will have a blast playing it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,041
    edited February 14
    Kind of hard to say. Would probably be my favorite if it was on the last 2 albums, but below average if compared to the early ones.
    It reminded me of Avocado, which is a middle tier album for me. Not because of the sound, but because of how it made me feel and the quality of it. Decent song, not great.
  • Options
    AA295481AA295481 Posts: 101

• Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,566
    I like it and it's still growing on me. 

Always hard (nearly impossible) to give it the same level of credibility against the songs we grew old with and attached memories and emotion to.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: