Why no GA only option??? It sucks!

matt84matt84 Posts: 708
Anyone else really bothered by this? If I enter the lottery and find I’ve got seats I’m going to be really pissed off. But then again, with dynamic pricing, ticketmaster can double the ticket prices within 30 seconds of the tickets going on sale during the general sale. What to do…..

Comments

• Air23Air23 Posts: 1,361
    Cancel the 10c subscription
  • EnjoyBeingEnjoyBeing Posts: 127
    I agree. I wish GA-only option existed. But I see why it might not. 

On the one hand, I would’ve put in for shows that I would’ve traveled for if I hit GA pit (like London), but would not have otherwise considered. 

On the other hand, I can see either / both:
    -avoiding people using GA for trade bait (although the limited ticket resale seems to address this issue)
    -trying to sell as many tickets as possible. 

FWIW, Phish has done something similar in their fan lotto. Also to the dismay to their fans. 

Bottom line: individual human beings continue to lose to Green Disease. 
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,867
    Keep it and people will complain how they were completely shut out for all their lottery picks.

Damned of they do, damned if they don't.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I'm not sure.  When combined with fan2fan I don't think it's great the option is gone.   Rather than people going GA only, they choose GA+P1.  They get seats, then toss them back in the pool via fan2fan, but it pushes everyone's tickets back further than plan to attend.

The system must still work fine.  When we bought our fan club tickets for U2 at the sphere, it was like PJ lotteries from a few years ago, even more options.  You chose the areas you were ok with getting seats in (we chose GA and level 2) and your preference of nights, and it went off without a hitch. Ended up with GA (we didn't choose GA only, but we could of).
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,884
    They got rid of GA only as a way to sell more nosebleeds.  Now it’s a gamble and if you lose you end up in the rafters, unless you have a low number.  They are here to maximize sales, not to maximize the way it works for fans wanting GA.  That’s just a fact.  I’m not saying it’s good or bad.   
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • dani11dani11 Posts: 43
    They got rid of GA only as a way to sell more nosebleeds.  Now it’s a gamble and if you lose you end up in the rafters, unless you have a low number.  They are here to maximize sales, not to maximize the way it works for fans wanting GA.  That’s just a fact.  I’m not saying it’s good or bad.   
    Yes totally agree it's a way to sell more nosebleeds... I'm curious what % of standing tickets are available for TC vs the main sale. 

I could maybe see rolling the dice for Berlin (as in requesting standing/seated)...mostly because it's a small-ish venue, and a cool venue, and I think any seats could be good enough, and if not I wouldn't have a hard time selling those seats. Vs say trying to sell bad seats in London.
  • Agree spare Berlin would be easier to offload.  
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 312
    Yeah it's a shit system where you could be left with expensive seated tickets that you can't offload while GA tickets are going on sale to the general public. Absolutely whacko.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I dislike removing the GA option as well. As someone who typically just chose seats and has a decent, but not great number, my seats moved back AGAIN after they got rid of the GA option. 

I've been in the club for 20 years now with zero lapses and as time has gone by my seats have gotten slowly worse with every decision they've made. I thought by now I'd be in some really killer seats. Instead, I'm a section farther away and a little bit higher than the shows I saw in 2003 with my brand new number.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • know1 said:
    I dislike removing the GA option as well. As someone who typically just chose seats and has a decent, but not great number, my seats moved back AGAIN after they got rid of the GA option. 

I've been in the club for 20 years now with zero lapses and as time has gone by my seats have gotten slowly worse with every decision they've made. I thought by now I'd be in some really killer seats. Instead, I'm a section farther away and a little bit higher than the shows I saw in 2003 with my brand new number.
    This!! 🙌 same boat my friend. I didn’t even sit in my seats for Chicago it was so bad. I honestly don’t know if this is worth it anymore to be in 10C with the amount I paid to not sit where they stuck me. Just outside of the way they have pretty much eliminated all the extras of 10C. I pay for SELECT “discounted” merch (which really think about that for a minute), and a digital single now.
    I know I could be something if I held on...
  • il vecchioil vecchio Posts: 143
    But also, is it me or there is NO INDICATION AT ALL that, in contrast with previous tors, if selected for standing GA, there is not going to be early entry - and relative wristbands - for 10c members. I see it nowhere and therefore I assume that is the first time that there is not going to be a difference between us and general sales GA.

Anyone have the same thought and can confirm?
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    100% agree with this. Not upset just bummed. Money is tighter than I would like it to be. $175 is still a great price for the band I just don’t want far back seats like 2018 Fenway. 

If I could just put in for GA would have been great , if I won amazing. If I did not , no hard feelings and I’ll listen to the bootleg when it comes out. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    But also, is it me or there is NO INDICATION AT ALL that, in contrast with previous tors, if selected for standing GA, there is not going to be early entry - and relative wristbands - for 10c members. I see it nowhere and therefore I assume that is the first time that there is not going to be a difference between us and general sales GA.

Anyone have the same thought and can confirm?
    Typically GA doors open 30 minutes prior at the NA venues. Can’t speak to rest of the world.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    Yeah it's a shit system where you could be left with expensive seated tickets that you can't offload while GA tickets are going on sale to the general public. Absolutely whacko.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    know1 said:

I had a different perception.

I felt like with GA, many more people with less seniority than me were jumping up and going for GA, while more people with the premium 10c numbers knew to settle for great seats.  It seemed that my early 2000s seat was degraded in that system
  • Is it only the German FAQ that mentions early entry? 
    know1 said:

I've been in the club for over 25 years and felt similarly.

The decision to allow multiple shows with a single membership bumped me back.   Then the rows 1/2, 9/10 lottery bumped me back.  Then GA (unless you get GA), and now premium tickets.   It's somewhat disappointing.

I really liked GA, because it was the first time (for the shows I've gotten GA) for that I actually saw my location improve rather then get further back.

I do wonder about the business aspect.  If it keeps going this way and 10c gets less and less of the best tickets, and people have a better time with regular onsale or fan2fan, will they see people starting to cancel memberships?  I think Seniority seat location has kept a lot of the longer term members renewing, but if it's impact dwindles because the best seats don't go to the 10c (aside from GA), it might mean less as time goes on.

10c's a bit unique in that they're more than the fan club.  There's kind of PJ's whole operation, and it's funded with fan club dues.  If people lose more and more faith in the ticketing, that could have long term implications for the operation.

That being said, I'm not trying to see shows in a high demand market, so I'll probably be fine :)

• spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747

Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Air23Air23 Posts: 1,361
    It's time to cancel 10c subscription
  • TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    Get the most tickets to the Fans.  If this is how they have to do it, then more power to them.  I want to see the band.  I will accept being in the building.  Maybe they have decided that they want to cater to more of us.  Sounds good to me.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
    Is it only the German FAQ that mentions early entry? 
    they don't. where did you read that?
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,043
    Having entered for both manc and London Im as nervous as hell now for those GA selections..........
  • BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,292
    pdalowsky said:
    Having entered for both manc and London Im as nervous as hell now for those GA selections..........
    Especially London as the worst seats will be really bad, but I'm hoping it's the same as always and the limited GA wording is generic and really only applies to the US we will know soon enough
  • Is it only the German FAQ that mentions early entry? 
    https://help.ticketmaster.de/hc/de/articles/22456851431441-Pearl-Jam-Dark-Matter-World-Tour-2024
    https://help.ticketmaster.de/hc/de/articles/22456851431441-Pearl-Jam-Dark-Matter-World-Tour-2024
    "at venues that allow early entry" . Berlin does not, only London and Dublin which have the difference between golden circle and normal standing indeed
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    The GA or bust position is just amazing to me. If you only want to be in the GA section and other seats are beneath you don't enter the lottery.   The way it is now, if you have joined the fanclub last week, you could stand just as good a chance as getting GA as a member from 1991.  Deal with it.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited February 15
    PB11041 said:
    The GA or bust position is just amazing to me. If you only want to be in the GA section and other seats are beneath you don't enter the lottery. 
    Not calling you a liar, but it being "amazing" for someone would really amaze me - with there having been a GA and a SEATED option for forever (4ever). And not a "GA but perhaps who knows a SEATED".

I doubt it really amazes you. but who knows.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 456
    PB11041 said:
    The GA or bust position is just amazing to me. If you only want to be in the GA section and other seats are beneath you don't enter the lottery.   The way it is now, if you have joined the fanclub last week, you could stand just as good a chance as getting GA as a member from 1991.  Deal with it.  
    They are asking around 175 Eur for a ticket. It would be great if I know whether I spend this kind of money for a place near the stage or somewhere in a stadium. I am sure it makes a difference for some.
    PB11041 said:

I think there's another way to look at it.   With the premium ticket changes and what not, if you don't end up in GA, even with seniority you could end up with pretty mediocre/bad seats.

I also think it says, I'd like to put in for GA, but if I can't get GA, I'd rather take my chances with ticketmaster and/or fan2fan.

I can't really say how all this is going down, but I feel like, unless your in one of the crazy demand markets like New York where tickets are really hard to come by, I'm not sure you really need a fan club membership just to obtain nosebleeds?

I'm not saying this is good or bad, but I think that's the counterargument.    If you were buying tickets off TM, you kind of get to choose if you want the location and price point.  With 10c, your doing a blind bid on tickets and they could end up being pretty bad.

With all the other concerts I go to.  If I can't pull up good tickets at the regular onsale, I don't buy the tickets.  I bookmark the regular onsale webpage, and routinely check for ticket drops and what not, and buy better tickets later on.
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,097
    PB11041 said:
    If it helps, GA is different in Europe as it's the whole floor. Most than enough capacity to make a GA only option. Add this to the fact that 10c tickets can be at the back, whereas before, the best seats were reserved for 10c, and you can see why people aren't happy. 
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder