Pearl Jam Dark Matter (preview)

Comments

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    So the real question is, will this be the intro song for the upcoming Apple TV series? 🤔
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    mattcoz said:
    So the real question is, will this be the intro song for the upcoming Apple TV series? 🤔
    Or the Katt Williams tour
    I miss igotid88
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,946
    BF25394 said:
    PJNB said:
    mattcoz said:
    I'm getting You Are vibes.
    @mcgruff10

Joan Jett and now this. 
    I'm hearing "Going to California."
    😂

I never understood that one
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526
    Steal the light from her eyes,
    Take the blood from her heart,
    When all of it's Dark Matter
    Things were different then
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,319
    Edved82 said:
    Cannot wait to hear more of this. Not to be a downer but I found the Stones album to sound a bit glossy and overproduced and I got the same feeling from this track snippet, so it seems this might be Watt's trademark. Saying that, I can't wait to hear the album and hear what they've come up with this time.
    Well, Pearl Jam's glossiest, most overproduced album is their biggest-selling one as well as the one that many of their fans seem to cherish the most.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BR51107BR51107 Posts: 11
    Evel K said:
    Steal the light from her eyes,
    Take the blood from her heart,
    I am hearing
    Steal the light from her eyes
    Take the blood from our hearts
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 646
    Ten is definitely over-produced, but I wouldn’t call it glossy.

I’m liking the way the drums and bass sound on this clip. So far so good for Watt.
  • dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    BF25394 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Cannot wait to hear more of this. Not to be a downer but I found the Stones album to sound a bit glossy and overproduced and I got the same feeling from this track snippet, so it seems this might be Watt's trademark. Saying that, I can't wait to hear the album and hear what they've come up with this time.
    Well, Pearl Jam's glossiest, most overproduced album is their biggest-selling one as well as the one that many of their mainstream fans seem to cherish the most.
    fixed it for you.

• dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Well, Pearl Jam's glossiest, most overproduced album is their biggest-selling one as well as the one that many of their mainstream fans seem to cherish the most.
    fixed it for you.

Is that a dig at fans who rank Ten #1 or fans who rank Riot Act above Ten?
    Can't tell.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Edved82 said:
    fixed it for you.

Yeah, so what I wrote was not incorrect and thus did not need fixing.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited February 11
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Edved82 said:
    fixed it for you.

Can't tell.
    I didn’t think it was a dig. I had the same thought. It seems like for more of the Pearl Jam fanbase, 10 is not their favorite album. For the casual fan, or just fans of 90s music but not PJ fans per se, 10 is their favorite. I hear PJ called a one album band by non PJ fans frequently. 10 is about the only songs that get radio play anymore, with a rare letterman thrown in every once in a while.
    So I didn’t take his comment at a dig at anyone. Just an observation.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,072
    edited February 11
    Ten ranks #1.  I love the first 5 almost on the same level but nothing can top the significance of Ten for me.

Signed, 

Casual/Mainstream 10C member 
    ;)

I hope this one is like Ten.  Very much so!   Please be the opposite of Gigaton,far and away my least favorite 

• dwjmu84dwjmu84 Posts: 387
    Don’t get panties in a bunch folks. It was not a dig at anyone. I was making the point that ten is the clear favorite album among many mainstream/more casual fans. This is not debatable. Then, you have 10c’ers, 100 show fans, insiders, there from the star fans, etc. and for that group, you tend to see WAY more variation in album rankings, often with yield, binaural, and no code topping lists. 

Let’s take a breath. Nothing personal here, ever. All good intentions !
  • I winked with my note, was just curious.  It doesn't matter to me what record others like most.  
    I could put No Code, Vs, or Yield at the top....but never Binaural.   

dwjmu84 said:
    Don’t get panties in a bunch folks. It was not a dig at anyone. I was making the point that ten is the clear favorite album among many mainstream/more casual fans. This is not debatable. Then, you have 10c’ers, 100 show fans, insiders, there from the star fans, etc. and for that group, you tend to see WAY more variation in album rankings, often with yield, binaural, and no code topping lists. 

Let’s take a breath. Nothing personal here, ever. All good intentions !
    So what you're saying is that, among the cohort of fans who only own one or two Pearl Jam album, one of which is TenTen is their favorite album, but among Pearl Jam fans who own several albums, some fans prefer Ten and some prefer other Pearl Jam albums. Did we need this clarification?

Meanwhile, what I said was that many Pearl Jam fans seem to cherish Ten the most. Again, I'm not sure how this statement is inaccurate.

I also think that you'll find that, even among the diehards here, Ten remains quite beloved. I am regularly involved in conversations on this site where I'm one of the few people saying I don't ever need to hear the songs from Ten again, while six times as many other people are saying they don't have much interest in anything the band has done since 1998.

And getting back to the original point, which had to do with production, even the band believes that Ten is overproduced, to the point that they asked Brendan O'Brien to remix it for the deluxe reissue. That remix is noticeably less slick and glossy than the Rick Parashar version.

So, to the person who observed that the brief clip of "Dark Matter" sounded glossy and overproduced-- a characteristic I did not hear-- I simply noted that Pearl Jam has had a lot of success with one particular glossy, overproduced record.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    mace1229 said:
    dwjmu84 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Edved82 said:
    fixed it for you.

Can't tell.
    I didn’t think it was a dig. I had the same thought. It seems like for more of the Pearl Jam fanbase, 10 is not their favorite album. For the casual fan, or just fans of 90s music but not PJ fans per se, 10 is their favorite. I hear PJ called a one album band by non PJ fans frequently. 10 is about the only songs that get radio play anymore, with a rare letterman thrown in every once in a while.
    So I didn’t take his comment at a dig at anyone. Just an observation.

That last bit makes me sad.   When we lived through that era, the stuff from 10/Vs./Vitalogy got massive radio play and had massive hits.  Even stuff like Betterman that wasn't a single, blew up and got massive radioplay.   It's a shame that greatest hits radio doesn't spend more time at least adventuring through the 3 really big albums.   You're unfortunately correct, it's mostly ten that gets radio airplay now :(
  • SM187650SM187650 Posts: 770
    edited February 11
    I hear daughter and betterman just as often if not more than Jeremy, evenflow, and alive. Although I do agree it’s a shame we don’t hear much from the other albums. 
  • I've not once heard a gigaton song on radio

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I've not once heard a gigaton song on radio

Same here.  Nothing off gigaton, backspacer, lightening bolt or even self titled.  Last one I can remember is "I am mine."
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757

I have.
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10 said:

Same here.  Nothing off gigaton, backspacer, lightening bolt or even self titled.  Last one I can remember is "I am mine."
    They played Sirens a shitton for a few years
      Not since then
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    edited February 11

Up here in Seattle, they played the hell out of DOTC when it first came out.  But no other tracks from the album.
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,463
    I heard DOTC a few times on radio when it first came out..that was it 
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    mcgruff10 said:

Just Breathe was a legitimate hit
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    kmcmanus said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You are absolutely correct.  But I don’t remember it on the radio.  Maybe Covid is killing my memory.  Lol
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MJ178168MJ178168 Posts: 152
    Lukeat911 said:
    I can’t escape
    I guess you have to drink it.  
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    kmcmanus said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Came to say this too. It did slip my mind at first though 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • JKestleJKestle Posts: 64
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Both snippets sound like they could be the start of the song
    They do, but it could also be that the 30-second clip follows the 25-second clip, or the 30-second clip follows the first verse. We'll find out soon enough. We have 55 seconds of this song; can't we just have the rest now? Please, Mom!
    I think the drum intro is identical in the two clips. It would be a bit strange if this were two different parts of the song.

When Queens were teasing ITNR last year they released snipets of stems that didn't have all the tracked instruments playing, I wonder if that's what's happening here... the wiki clip being the full clip with guitars engaged.

Just a theory
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    93.1 WXRT in Chicago plays a lot of the deeper cuts, and stuff from Yield, Binaural, etc. Still hear lots of Gigaton and Earthlings too
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission