Dark Matter release date RSD Spring 2024

13»

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,335
    Zod said:
    bootleg said:
    So the day after Swifts album?  Might want bump that up a few weeks/months

Does it really make a difference?  I think PJ albums just sell to the core audience at this point.  I'm not sure they reach the masses or very casual listeners anymore.  The people that buy PJ records are still going to buy PJ records, they people that don't, won't.

I suppose the only really big impact is that if you have a core audience and you release it at a time there's not much else coming out, you can often score a #1 album for your first week.
    This is true, but as I described in more detail on another thread, it is a really tough trick to pull off now because of how the formula for the Billboard 200 works. Green Day sold 39,000 copies of Saviors in its first week-- roughly in line with what Pearl Jam can expect to sell in its first week-- and it ended up at No. 4 behind a No. 1 album that sold 1,000 copies but was streamed much more.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    BF25394 said:
    Zod said:
    bootleg said:

Does it really make a difference?  I think PJ albums just sell to the core audience at this point.  I'm not sure they reach the masses or very casual listeners anymore.  The people that buy PJ records are still going to buy PJ records, they people that don't, won't.

I suppose the only really big impact is that if you have a core audience and you release it at a time there's not much else coming out, you can often score a #1 album for your first week.
    This is true, but as I described in more detail on another thread, it is a really tough trick to pull off now because of how the formula for the Billboard 200 works. Green Day sold 39,000 copies of Saviors in its first week-- roughly in line with what Pearl Jam can expect to sell in its first week-- and it ended up at No. 4 behind a No. 1 album that sold 1,000 copies but was streamed much more.
    Maybe this is the "hidden link"/reason  behind the newsletter links that took you to pre loading to streaming services. Bump up the streaming #s on Tues?
    Or maybe IDK what I'm talking about.
  • kmcmanuskmcmanus Posts: 722
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    We don't know that Taylor doesn't guest on Dark Matter and vice versa.

Regardless, if this is how it plays out with the release date, it needs to be turned into a Barbenheimer situation. Lemons/lemonade.
    Her tracklist came out and they're not mentioned 
    Well so much for that. Still advocating for Barbenheimer.
    If there's any way to actually pull such a thing off, it would be an unbelievable boon for Pearl Jam. But what would the portmanteau be? Dark Poets Department?
    Dark Poets Matter
    BF25394 said:
    Zod said:
    bootleg said:

Maybe this is the "hidden link"/reason  behind the newsletter links that took you to pre loading to streaming services. Bump up the streaming #s on Tues?
    No-- for one thing, Pearl Jam does not care at all about any of this. Second, Tuesday is only a single. Any streams would not count toward the chart placement of the album, which will still be unreleased as of Tuesday. And no Pearl Jam song could generate enough streams in  a single day in 2024, barring some exogenous event, to get anywhere near any chart other than the rock or Triple-A chart.
    kmcmanus said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    igotid88 said:
    pjl44 said:
    We don't know that Taylor doesn't guest on Dark Matter and vice versa.

Regardless, if this is how it plays out with the release date, it needs to be turned into a Barbenheimer situation. Lemons/lemonade.
    Her tracklist came out and they're not mentioned 
    Well so much for that. Still advocating for Barbenheimer.
    If there's any way to actually pull such a thing off, it would be an unbelievable boon for Pearl Jam. But what would the portmanteau be? Dark Poets Department?
    Dark Poets Matter
    If anyone's getting two words in this arrangement, it's going to be Taylor. Tortured Poets Matter, maybe.
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 769
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Zod said:
    bootleg said:

No-- for one thing, Pearl Jam does not care at all about any of this. Second, Tuesday is only a single. Any streams would not count toward the chart placement of the album, which will still be unreleased as of Tuesday. And no Pearl Jam song could generate enough streams in  a single day in 2024, barring some exogenous event, to get anywhere near any chart other than the rock or Triple-A chart.
    Got it.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,168
    Zod said:
    It could be both.  Variant only available on RSD, but with other more widespread editions?

I'm hoping there is a 10Club variant edition too. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    C'mon spring! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,428
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Zod said:
    bootleg said:

yahtzee
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,168

Wiki page has been updated. :( 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam

demetrios said:

Wiki page has been updated. :( 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_Jam

Yes, because neither of the cited sources said anything about Record Store Day.
  • euchrideuchrid Posts: 840
    From email today

:smiley:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cbeitingcbeiting Posts: 79
    I have the 10C vinyl preordered, but now I'm wondering if the RSD version will be the one to try to snag instead.... I hope they give us a heads up on what it looks like. 
    Member since 1996...
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 896
    I don't do vinyl just CDs but if I did I wouldn't get any colored variants for any other reason than those being the only copies available. Obviously each to their own and if bonus tracks were in the mix that would change the game but man has my relative disinterest saved me a lot of money in that regard 😂
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    @kat and @Sea

You can close this thread. Already a sticky posted! That was fun guys! 
    www.cluthelee.com
This discussion has been closed.