Options

Have you ever climbed a mountain?

I'm thinking about climbing the highest peak in Sweden (more of a 10-14 hour trek, not much actual climbing involved. It is not that high compared to international mountains). But still, something exciting to do.

Have you ever climbed a mountain?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Mt LeConte in the Smoky's....nothing like what you are considering. We also climbed the Chimney Tops in that same area...that was horrifying

I would be ok with it as long as I wasn't dealing with steep drop offs that might come into play.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 684
    I climbed Kilimanjaro about 14 years ago, other than that just the small mountains we have here in Britain 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I have done several peaks in the Adirondacks.  More of a climbing hike (well, there is some scrambling up and down rocks) than a technical mountain climb, but rewarding nonetheless.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    Yes. The northeast, Rockies and Austrian alps.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,762
    Countless summit/peak day hikes that usually are about 4k in elevation gain.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501
    the one on the right - byer’s peak, CO.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Countless summit/peak day hikes that usually are about 4k in elevation gain.
    4000m elevation gain in a day hike?!  
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,762
    4000ft
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited February 7
    Not me, but my dad used to be an avid mountain climber, back in the 60s and 70s. He climbed the Eiger and the Matterhorn, among others. He had a near death experience on the Matterhorn. He and his buddy were about 2/3 of the way up when a horrible, insane blizzard blew in, and they were trapped on a little ledge for 3 days until the storm passed. They nearly froze to death. My dad has had one white eyebrow ever since, because of the frostbite on his face. So I guess the reason I'm telling you this is is to say be careful!!! And pack extra food.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    Woah
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Yes, but a big hike, not a climb where you need ropes and gear like that.
    Watched 14 Peaks recently and think those types are badasses
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited February 8
    Highest peak I've ever climbed is Mt. Meru in Tanzania, summit at 4,562 metres (almost 15,000 ft). It's in Arusha national park. 

Otherwise, lots of hiking in the Rockies, mostly Jasper and Banff parks, and the Coastal mountains.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Wow 2 responses from climbs in Tanzania
      Pretty cool!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited February 8

For Kebnekeise (only 6,960 ft), you can take one (a bit longer) route that is just hiking. And one a tad shorter, that involves crossing a glacier and some light climbing.

I think I will take the hiking route if I go. i think it is suppose to take 14hours, up and down from the top.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I would agree on the choice, from my experience.  Only 4000-5000 ft, but a lot of it was rock scrambles.  I had running shoes on and by the time I was about halfway back down, my feet were a mess.  I was in marathon shape, but nowhere in rocky hiking shape, as far as my feet were concerned.  It took 7 hours for me and I wished I had opted for the easy route, which would gave taken longer. 
    Should be fun!  
    Do check with those who've gone before to confirm footwear, would be my advice.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,501

Same. I forgot about Charleston Peak (12,000 ft) outside of Vegas.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 347
    I've done a bunch of hikes in the NorthEast. Nothing over 5500 ft. dress appropriately, bring food/water and let someone know where and when you are going.  Hiking in the winter was my favorite. Can be somewhat tricky and dangerous if you aren't prepared.
  • Options
    If you have a good running watch it likely has the ability to map where you are going....and tell you how to find your way back out again.
    My sister had to be "found" by a Ranger one time.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    edited February 8
    I used to live in Colorado.
    Climbed many peaks above 13k
    Climbed 28 of the 54 14ers (Bentley got to 14)
    Including multiple top outs on Longs Peak.
    I highly recommend as a great physical and at times mental workout.

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,928
    I highly recommend as a great physical and at time mental workout.

Bentley!!!
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    Fantastic^^
  • Options
    4000ft
    Now that makes way more sense 😄
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    Multiple smaller mountains, repelled off a bunch of them, free climbed some.

Tallest peak was Mt Whitney in California, the tallest peak in the continental US. No gear for tat other than a ski pole.

Altitude sickness is a real thing.  Headaches from hell if you aren't acclimated.

Do it.
  • Options
    To answer the question, yes I have. I love hiking, it’s the best thing ever! 
    Hope you’ll have a lovely hike, E.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,979
    Doing Mt St Helens this summer.  It'll be my tallest. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804

Awesome!!! I really want to conquer a 14er, and have a feeling it might become somewhat of an addiction once I do. At least the non-technical ones. I am scared shitless of heights and want to work to overcome that. My fiancé says there is no reason to try to conquer that fear to which I reply "why not?"
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options

For Kebnekeise (only 6,960 ft), you can take one (a bit longer) route that is just hiking. And one a tad shorter, that involves crossing a glacier and some light climbing.

I think I will take the hiking route if I go. i think it is suppose to take 14hours, up and down from the top.
    I highly recommend doing it. Very few feelings as rewarding as completing these types of activities.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561

Awesome!!! I really want to conquer a 14er, and have a feeling it might become somewhat of an addiction once I do. At least the non-technical ones. I am scared shitless of heights and want to work to overcome that. My fiancé says there is no reason to try to conquer that fear to which I reply "why not?"
    A lot of 14ers are really just long hard walks at altitude. Especially the ones closest to Denver.
    Mt. Sherman is on an old mining road. Not technical at all.
    My avatar on here was shot there
  • Options

A lot of 14ers are really just long hard walks at altitude. Especially the ones closest to Denver.
    Mt. Sherman is on an old mining road. Not technical at all.
    My avatar on here was shot there
    That's the way it seems. We ended up in Telluride/Ouray/Durango this past June. I really wanted to conquer Mt. Sneffles or Uncompahgre while we were there. I think the idea is too intimidating for my fiancé. She struggles going up and, naturally, my knees give me issues going down. I've mentioned Grays/Long peaks on other trips. 

I also really want to do a 2 or 3 day backpacking trip some time
     Wind River Range/PCT/Mint Hut (Alaska).
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Because of having orthostatic hypotension and being prone to vestibular migraine, I've never done anything very high up, but I have done three at around 10,000 feet: Mt Lassen to the north, and Pyramid Peak and Roundtop an hour or two east of here. 
    The biggest push I've done was starting at 6,000 feet and going to the top of Pyramid Peak (topping out at 9,985 feet) via Horsetail Falls and back in one day.  The last two thirds of the return trip were done mostly by moonlight.  I was leading a small party and had to scout ahead to make sure we were on the right track, so adding those extra miles was tough.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.