Have you ever climbed a mountain?

2»

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,433
    edited February 10
    Sounds dangerous^^the whole moonlight part.
    I hiked hard (for me) at high altitude and my legs were in pain the next day big time. No mountain tops, but were high to begin with. 

Seems like op walks and runs a lot. Sure your body will react differently than someone who doesn't train.

Post pics if you do it!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,505
    I used to live in Colorado.
    Climbed many peaks above 13k
    Climbed 28 of the 54 14ers (Bentley got to 14)
    Including multiple top outs on Longs Peak.
    I highly recommend as a great physical and at times mental workout.

Awesome!!! I really want to conquer a 14er, and have a feeling it might become somewhat of an addiction once I do. At least the non-technical ones. I am scared shitless of heights and want to work to overcome that. My fiancé says there is no reason to try to conquer that fear to which I reply "why not?"
    A lot of 14ers are really just long hard walks at altitude. Especially the ones closest to Denver.
    Mt. Sherman is on an old mining road. Not technical at all.
    My avatar on here was shot there
    That's the way it seems. We ended up in Telluride/Ouray/Durango this past June. I really wanted to conquer Mt. Sneffles or Uncompahgre while we were there. I think the idea is too intimidating for my fiancé. She struggles going up and, naturally, my knees give me issues going down. I've mentioned Grays/Long peaks on other trips. 

I also really want to do a 2 or 3 day backpacking trip some time
     Wind River Range/PCT/Mint Hut (Alaska).
    Grays/Torreys are an easy 2fer.
    Longs should never be done as a first. It's not the mountain you want to find out you struggle at altitude. Plus you don't want to start your ascent later than 2 a.m.
    I witnessed  a rescue off the Trough one year and it was scary.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,677

Awesome!!! I really want to conquer a 14er, and have a feeling it might become somewhat of an addiction once I do. At least the non-technical ones. I am scared shitless of heights and want to work to overcome that. My fiancé says there is no reason to try to conquer that fear to which I reply "why not?"
    A lot of 14ers are really just long hard walks at altitude. Especially the ones closest to Denver.
    That's the way it seems. We ended up in Telluride/Ouray/Durango this past June. I really wanted to conquer Mt. Sneffles or Uncompahgre while we were there. I think the idea is too intimidating for my fiancé. She struggles going up and, naturally, my knees give me issues going down. I've mentioned Grays/Long peaks on other trips. 

Longs should never be done as a first. It's not the mountain you want to find out you struggle at altitude. Plus you don't want to start your ascent later than 2 a.m.

Thanks for the notes! How many do you have under your belt? There was also a 14er (I can't remember the name) that is near Durango. We discussed doingh that last June as it was rated easy. But I think she's worried about reaching areas where there might be steep ledges (i.e. similar to that of Angels Landing. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    edited February 10

Thanks for the notes! How many do you have under your belt? There was also a 14er (I can't remember the name) that is near Durango. We discussed doingh that last June as it was rated easy. But I think she's worried about reaching areas where there might be steep ledges (i.e. similar to that of Angels Landing. 
    Depending on who you ask there is basically 8 14ers "near Durango". Most of them a class 3 or 4.

I've got 28 plus multiple ascents of Longs, Sherman, Gray/Torreys, Evans/Bierstadt, Quandary
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,674
    edited February 10
    Altitude sickness is no joke.  I got it in Wyoming, put me out of commission for a few days. Hydrate and acclimate slowly, especially if you are from a flat state!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Altitude sickness is no joke.  I got it in Wyoming, put me out of commission for a few days. Hydrate and acclimate slowly, especially if you are from a flat state!
    Hydration is the most important.
    If you don't live at altitude start upping your water intake a couple weeks out. It helps a lot.
    Also cut back on alcohol consumption at altitude. You don't need as much plus add more water to the equation.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,402
    Loujoe said:
    Sounds dangerous^^the whole moonlight part.
    I hiked hard (for me) at high altitude and my legs were in pain the next day big time. No mountain tops, but were high to begin with. 

Seems like op walks and runs a lot. Sure your body will react differently than someone who doesn't train.

Post pics if you do it!
    Yeah, definitely not something I would recommend.  We were all experienced in outdoors activity like this but this particular outing was not the best planned.  Thankfully, the air was clear, the moon was near full and bright, and my vision back then was better than 20/20.  I took responsibility for the trouble and made sure every leg of the return trip was safe by scouting ahead numerous times.  My legs felt like rubber by the time we got back, but we all enjoyed the outing.  
    "I believe in the mystery, and I don't want to take it any further than that. Maybe what I mean by that is love."
    -John Densmore