Options

Have you ever climbed a mountain?

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847
    edited February 10
    Sounds dangerous^^the whole moonlight part.
    I hiked hard (for me) at high altitude and my legs were in pain the next day big time. No mountain tops, but were high to begin with. 

Seems like op walks and runs a lot. Sure your body will react differently than someone who doesn't train.

Post pics if you do it!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    I used to live in Colorado.
    Climbed many peaks above 13k
    Climbed 28 of the 54 14ers (Bentley got to 14)
    Including multiple top outs on Longs Peak.
    I highly recommend as a great physical and at times mental workout.

Awesome!!! I really want to conquer a 14er, and have a feeling it might become somewhat of an addiction once I do. At least the non-technical ones. I am scared shitless of heights and want to work to overcome that. My fiancé says there is no reason to try to conquer that fear to which I reply "why not?"
    A lot of 14ers are really just long hard walks at altitude. Especially the ones closest to Denver.
    Mt. Sherman is on an old mining road. Not technical at all.
    My avatar on here was shot there
    That's the way it seems. We ended up in Telluride/Ouray/Durango this past June. I really wanted to conquer Mt. Sneffles or Uncompahgre while we were there. I think the idea is too intimidating for my fiancé. She struggles going up and, naturally, my knees give me issues going down. I've mentioned Grays/Long peaks on other trips. 

I also really want to do a 2 or 3 day backpacking trip some time
     Wind River Range/PCT/Mint Hut (Alaska).
    Grays/Torreys are an easy 2fer.
    Longs should never be done as a first. It's not the mountain you want to find out you struggle at altitude. Plus you don't want to start your ascent later than 2 a.m.
    I witnessed  a rescue off the Trough one year and it was scary.

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804

Awesome!!! I really want to conquer a 14er, and have a feeling it might become somewhat of an addiction once I do. At least the non-technical ones. I am scared shitless of heights and want to work to overcome that. My fiancé says there is no reason to try to conquer that fear to which I reply "why not?"
    A lot of 14ers are really just long hard walks at altitude. Especially the ones closest to Denver.
    That's the way it seems. We ended up in Telluride/Ouray/Durango this past June. I really wanted to conquer Mt. Sneffles or Uncompahgre while we were there. I think the idea is too intimidating for my fiancé. She struggles going up and, naturally, my knees give me issues going down. I've mentioned Grays/Long peaks on other trips. 

Longs should never be done as a first. It's not the mountain you want to find out you struggle at altitude. Plus you don't want to start your ascent later than 2 a.m.

Thanks for the notes! How many do you have under your belt? There was also a 14er (I can't remember the name) that is near Durango. We discussed doingh that last June as it was rated easy. But I think she's worried about reaching areas where there might be steep ledges (i.e. similar to that of Angels Landing. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited February 10

Thanks for the notes! How many do you have under your belt? There was also a 14er (I can't remember the name) that is near Durango. We discussed doingh that last June as it was rated easy. But I think she's worried about reaching areas where there might be steep ledges (i.e. similar to that of Angels Landing. 
    Depending on who you ask there is basically 8 14ers "near Durango". Most of them a class 3 or 4.

I've got 28 plus multiple ascents of Longs, Sherman, Gray/Torreys, Evans/Bierstadt, Quandary
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    edited February 10
    Altitude sickness is no joke.  I got it in Wyoming, put me out of commission for a few days. Hydrate and acclimate slowly, especially if you are from a flat state!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Altitude sickness is no joke.  I got it in Wyoming, put me out of commission for a few days. Hydrate and acclimate slowly, especially if you are from a flat state!
    Hydration is the most important.
    If you don't live at altitude start upping your water intake a couple weeks out. It helps a lot.
    Also cut back on alcohol consumption at altitude. You don't need as much plus add more water to the equation.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Loujoe said:
    Sounds dangerous^^the whole moonlight part.
    I hiked hard (for me) at high altitude and my legs were in pain the next day big time. No mountain tops, but were high to begin with. 

Seems like op walks and runs a lot. Sure your body will react differently than someone who doesn't train.

Post pics if you do it!
    Yeah, definitely not something I would recommend.  We were all experienced in outdoors activity like this but this particular outing was not the best planned.  Thankfully, the air was clear, the moon was near full and bright, and my vision back then was better than 20/20.  I took responsibility for the trouble and made sure every leg of the return trip was safe by scouting ahead numerous times.  My legs felt like rubber by the time we got back, but we all enjoyed the outing.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    Booked a room for three nights at the "mountain lodge" late July.

Now, I need to start looking for hiking boots
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911

This is in Sweden?  Looks gorgeous. Reminds me of Montana.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,627
    edited March 2
    You're chatbot is super cute, but lacks the ability to navigate this site to see the physical running machine superstar fit dude you are.

Edit: but to answer your question: yes "and I turned around
    And I saw my reflection in the snow-covered hills"
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,847

Very nice. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Hiking boots

or

Hiking shoes

How do you do it?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Longs Peak Colorado in my 20s. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,762
    Boots: good for multi-day backpacking
    Slow moving/high ankle support
    Uncertain wet/dry conditions
    Long lasting
    Break in period required, otherwise blister prone.

Shoes: good for day hikes
    Fast moving/reduced ankle support
    Mainly Dry conditions, dependable weather
    Will get 3-5 years of regular seasonal use.
    Little to no break-in period. Minimal blisters.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Long lasting

Sneakers:  Good for a stroll, or for slogging down the grocery store isles while leaning on the cart.
    Slippers:  Good for a trip to the bathroom or kitchen, etc.

These days, that's all I got.  :lol: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Definitely take ankle high boots if you don’t want to roll your ankle 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    Ive always been a sneaker guy on hikes.  Never liked boots for those trips.  I also have never bothered to look for a proper pair either.

Recommendations?
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Ive always been a sneaker guy on hikes.  Never liked boots for those trips.  I also have never bothered to look for a proper pair either.

Recommendations?
    Go to a proper outdoor store and try some on. It all depends on your feet and what you really need 
  • Options
    Hiking boots

or

Hiking shoes

How do you do it?
    All depends on your skill level, fitness level, and terrain.
    For most basic hikes and up to level 3 hikes/mountains I'm all in with trail runners.
    Then hiking shoes
    Then hiking boots 
    Then crampon compatible boots

What it boils down to is what are you most comfortable with on a particular terrain.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    I hiked up Peak 7 at Breckenridge long before it had a chair lift. (But that really doesn't count.)
  • Options
    Hiking boots

or

Hiking shoes

How do you do it?
    For most basic hikes and up to level 3 hikes/mountains I'm all in with trail runners.
    Then hiking shoes
    Then hiking boots 

What it boils down to is what are you most comfortable with on a particular terrain.
    Yeah crampons is for actual ice climbing and by that point i'd not be asking, lol.

We used to day hike all the time and we went up to the numbered lakes in Big pine.  We brought packs and poles but wore sweatshirts w shorts, our usual attire.
    This couple comes down dressed in snow suits and they ask "where you are going?"
    "Same place you were."
    "Dressed like that?"
    Yeah, we were fine. We weren't going into a blizzard, lol.  We always checked weather reports for the hikes and knew we could always turn around.

I'll look into some boots as I do some rough terrain hikes now and again.
  • Options
    edited March 7
    Hiking boots

or

Hiking shoes

How do you do it?
    Then hiking shoes
    Then hiking boots 

Yeah crampons is for actual ice climbing and by that point i'd not be asking, lol.

We used to day hike all the time and we went up to the numbered lakes in Big pine.  We brought packs and poles but wore sweatshirts w shorts, our usual attire.
    This couple comes down dressed in snow suits and they ask "where you are going?"
    "Same place you were."
    "Dressed like that?"
    Yeah, we were fine. We weren't going into a blizzard, lol.  We always checked weather reports for the hikes and knew we could always turn around.

July 3, 2011 I top out on Mt. Elbert 14,443 ft ASL 2nd highest peak on the continent. 
    It is snowing. Like it's  28 degrees and a freaking blizzard at the top in the last 1/4 mile.
    I've got mostly the right gear because I always pack accordingly so me and the hound are okay.
    But there were families up there in shorts and t shirts. Kids crying.
     People in jeans risking frostbite.
    It was scary.
    There will always be people out hiking over prepared and too many under prepared for bad weather.
    Always climb prepared
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    I will buy a pair of boots this weekend
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Hiking boots

or

Hiking shoes

How do you do it?
    Then hiking shoes
    Then hiking boots 

"Same place you were."
    "Dressed like that?"

July 3, 2011 I top out on Mt. Elbert 14,443 ft ASL 2nd highest peak on the continent. 
    It is snowing. Like it's  28 degrees and a freaking blizzard at the top in the last 1/4 mile.
    I've got mostly the right gear because I always pack accordingly so me and the hound are okay.
    It was scary.
    There will always be people out hiking over prepared and too many under prepared for bad weather.
    Always climb prepared
    Two years ago I was hiking in Strathcona Park in the centre of Vancouver Island in mid-June. I was prepared because I had checked the weather and the conditions before I left home so I had my awesome hiking boots, lots of layers including waterproof outerwear, gloves, hat, etc. plus my usual routine of first aid kid and emergency supplies. Conditions ranged from areas that still had two feet of snow to areas that were almost bare, and all over there were streams of snowmelt undermining the snow such that you could break through at any point into water, or worse yet, underbrush where you might break your ankle. 

Despite this there were people out there hiking in running shoes, light pants and hoodies, without packs so clearly didn't have any emergency supplies or warmer clothes. I am surprised I don't come across more people with hypothermia or injuries. 

Always climb/hike prepared!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Hiking boots

or

Hiking shoes

How do you do it?
    Then hiking shoes
    Then hiking boots 

"Same place you were."
    "Dressed like that?"

It was scary.
    Always climb prepared
    I get it, again, we know where we were and what we were doing.  14K is not a joke of a hike/climb.  

We always have other gear but this hike it wasn't needed.  When we did Whitney we had everything.  We camped 2 days there to acclimate before ascending.   That was a great hike.  That is the tallest in the continental US.
  • Options
    edited March 10
    Me, 800 year ago seriously thinking about doing this chimney in a pair of worn out old hiking boots.  Who needs fancy shoes anyhow? :lol:

Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,804
    Long lasting

Good info here @spiritual_chaos - If the terrain is rocky/uneven, I recommend boots. That ankle support has saved my ass more than once. If you do decide on boots, you absolutely need to break them in. Get used to them before taking them out on a very long hike or two. I'll spare you the details of my better half getting blackened toenails halfway through our trip to Montana and Alberta in 2019....ultimately losing over half of her toenails. Okay, I guess I won't spare you those details. Anyhow, she got hiking boots at Christmas and never wore them until that trip in August. They were not broke in and we hiked a TON that trip, until we couldn't any more.

Also, if you have any lingering knee/hip issues, I recommend trekking poles. I use them often - even when they may seem unnecessary. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Me, 800 year ago seriously thinking about doing this chimney in a pair of worn out old hiking boots.  Who needs fancy shoes anyhow? :lol:

Looks like you were into some offwidth crack climbing
  • Options
    Long lasting

Good info here @spiritual_chaos - If the terrain is rocky/uneven, I recommend boots. That ankle support has saved my ass more than once. If you do decide on boots, you absolutely need to break them in. Get used to them before taking them out on a very long hike or two. I'll spare you the details of my better half getting blackened toenails halfway through our trip to Montana and Alberta in 2019....ultimately losing over half of her toenails. Okay, I guess I won't spare you those details. Anyhow, she got hiking boots at Christmas and never wore them until that trip in August. They were not broke in and we hiked a TON that trip, until we couldn't any more.

Also, if you have any lingering knee/hip issues, I recommend trekking poles. I use them often - even when they may seem unnecessary. 
    I bought these because of them being on sale. But they are more of ”city hiking boots” I guesssss. Adidas trailmakers. 

Do you think these would work or do I need to go even more into regular hiking boots?

• Options

you think any of these would do the job?