We are bassists and you can't live without us!!

13»

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    parchy wrote:
    I like this guy's style... mig, take notes

Hey, why don't you two lovers go and make out, huh?

Stupid bass players...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    I prefer stupid musician...bass was my first instrument but I also have a host of guitars and dabble in other instruments too. But yes...we'll go make out now...your place or mine parchy?
    Tav wrote:
    I prefer stupid musician...bass was my first instrument but I also have a host of guitars and dabble in other instruments too.

Bass is my second instrument, I've played the bass in two bands. Just FYI.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Tav wrote:
    I prefer stupid musician...bass was my first instrument but I also have a host of guitars and dabble in other instruments too. But yes...we'll go make out now...your place or mine parchy?

Unless you look like Alyssa Milano the deal is off

By the way, MusicMan Stingray 5 string is a sublime choice... I have one myself, and I must say, the thing plays like a fuckin dream
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
    parchy wrote:
    Unless you look like Alyssa Milano the deal is off

By the way, MusicMan Stingray 5 string is a sublime choice... I have one myself, and I must say, the thing plays like a fuckin dream

Well that's the deal off I guess.

I was considering getting something with a shorter scale length than my Ibanez. 34" can be a stretch for me and was thinking something a little shorter would be more comfortable. This means I could go for a Warwick, they let you choose scale length on their bolt-ons which is nice, or the other choice I have found is a Rickenbaker...I don't like Lemmy but I've really started to admire their basses...kind of prog. I reckon!

I was in one of the music shops in town and the only bass I would have even considered trying was a Warwick Streamer bolt-on 5 string and that was £1200...pricey. The other shop has a nice 5 String MM Stingray in that excellent blue they do with a maple neck...looks THE buisness! A pre-owned snip at only £995...tempting!

Does anyone have any other suggestions of 5 strings or basses (4 or 5) with scale lengths shorter than 34"/35"? Spector look good but their site seems to be down a lot recently and the nearest dealer is 60miles away...
  • Yeah...

But what happens when your bass player insists a 5-wheeled car is better than a 4-wheeled car?

Besides... I've known a lot of bass players who were flat, too. I'm not sure there are any bass players who know what a tuner is.

My last argument: The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Sleater-Kinney. The defense rests.

Good to have you back, buddy...

You also forgot Local H
    I am the Lizard King I can do anything
  • all bands need a bass player or it just doesnt sound right...the end
    Silence in golden, but duck tape is silver
    Tav wrote:
    Does anyone have any other suggestions of 5 strings or basses (4 or 5) with scale lengths shorter than 34"/35"? Spector look good but their site seems to be down a lot recently and the nearest dealer is 60miles away...

Fender has the Mustang bass...`

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0253900540

Besides the Rick, that's the only short-scale bass I know of that isn't a kids/beginner's bass.

Although you could look for a P-Bass Jr. and upgrade it.
    Fender has the Mustang bass...`

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0253900540

Besides the Rick, that's the only short-scale bass I know of that isn't a kids/beginner's bass.

Although you could look for a P-Bass Jr. and upgrade it.

I don't want to go as short as 30"...plus the Mustang bass isn't really my style what with playing in a prog. band and a AICish grunge/rock band. I am going of 6ft so I ain't small...just want something in the sort of 33"/32" sort of order...Warwick do 32" I'd like to try that. But the Warwick dealer here on have 2 basses in and I doubt either are 32"...Aberdeen sucks!

Maybe a Rick would be best...it's prog/metal/indie all at the same time plus suppose to be one hell of a bass.
    Tav wrote:
    Maybe a Rick would be best...it's prog/metal/indie all at the same time plus suppose to be one hell of a bass.

If you like the sound of a Rick, they're a great bass. They tend to have a lot more treble and less bass than a typical Fender/MM bass. But that can be great for overdrive/distortion/fuzz. And they play really well. Worth a try, anyways.

I just jammed a little on an Epiphone Les Paul bass today... it was surprisingly easy to play and had a great tone, really fat and round. Maybe too round for me, but interesting nonetheless. Great for electric blues...
    If you're playing metal then for the love of God don't get a Warwick
  • capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    my band played a show without a bassist (we also had a keyboardist we had never played with) and it was hell.

yay for steady bass players, even if they aren't that great, at least they're there

lets me as a drummer go off and play "lead drums" for a while, and when I come back, my guitarist isn't 2 beats ahead of me.
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
    I wonder if Tobias would have a short-scale bass...

I fuckin' love Tobias basses.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I wonder if Tobias would have a short-scale bass...

I fuckin' love Tobias basses.

go to Amazon.com, look under Musical Instruments, basses, tobias. They have a nice selection. Sorry, but I couldn't get it to link.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
  • Damn you guys are hard to track down too. Any bassists live around Cleveland, between the ages of...I don't know, not that old?
    puremagic wrote:
    go to Amazon.com, look under Musical Instruments, basses, tobias. They have a nice selection. Sorry, but I couldn't get it to link.

I looked a little bit, didn't find any scale specs on Tobias. I went to MTD (Mike Tobias' new company) and all they make are 35".

http://www.gibson.com/products/tobias/

http://www.mtdbass.com
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    I looked a little bit, didn't find any scale specs on Tobias. I went to MTD (Mike Tobias' new company) and all they make are 35".

http://www.gibson.com/products/tobias/

http://www.mtdbass.com

I seen that, I was trying to see if there was another site. My friend Jeannette has a 30" Tobias and it doesn't appear to be a bastard. I'll ask her about it.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    puremagic wrote:
    I seen that, I was trying to see if there was another site. My friend Jeannette has a 30" Tobias and it doesn't appear to be a bastard. I'll ask her about it.

Mike used to make a lot more custom stuff, so it's likely that they have a made-to-order short-scale. He might still build to order, worth an e-mail if someone was serious.

I just love the way those things play. And the Bartolini pups are priceless.
    I liked this thread...