We are bassists and you can't live without us!!

parchyparchy Posts: 205
edited March 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
The bass guitar is the wheels of the band. You don't buy a car for its wheels. You don't go to the car lot and say, "Boy, I really want that Lexus but those wheels aren't working for me." You buy a car because it looks nice and it runs smooth. When you're driving the car, you don't say, "Boy, these wheels are NICE... I know why I bought this car." No, you don't say or think any of those things. But what happens when a wheel falls off or you get a flat? The car doesn't run. You're stuck on the highway looking for somebody else with wheels to help you out.

You take the wheels off a car and you're screwed... you take the bass out of the band, and I say to you "Good luck."

I also have a bass joke for you all:

So these explorers go into the Amazon jungle in search of the last undiscovered tribe in the world, and after days of searching they find it, and they hear endless drums... for weeks and weeks all they can hear are congo drums and bongos being played non-stop... so they venture into the village and they ask the villagers, "Why do you only play drums, and play them all day and all night?" They responded with, "Very bad when drums stop. Very bad." So the explorers went back to their camp not understanding what these villagers were talking about, until the morning. The drums stopped in the morning, and the villagers were all sprinting away screaming bloody murder. When one passed the explorers camp, they asked "What? What's wrong?"

The villager responded by saying "The drums have stopped!!! Now the bass solo begins!!"

;)
Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• parchy wrote:
    The bass guitar is the wheels of the band. You don't buy a car for its wheels. You don't go to the car lot and say, "Boy, I really want that Lexus but those wheels aren't working for me." You buy a car because it looks nice and it runs smooth. When you're driving the car, you don't say, "Boy, these wheels are NICE... I know why I bought this car." No, you don't say or think any of those things. But what happens when a wheel falls off or you get a flat? The car doesn't run. You're stuck on the highway looking for somebody else with wheels to help you out.

You take the wheels off a car and you're screwed... you take the bass out of the band, and I say to you "Good luck."

Yeah...

But what happens when your bass player insists a 5-wheeled car is better than a 4-wheeled car?

Besides... I've known a lot of bass players who were flat, too. I'm not sure there are any bass players who know what a tuner is.

My last argument: The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Sleater-Kinney. The defense rests.

Good to have you back, buddy...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • parchyparchy Posts: 205
    Yeah...

But what happens when your bass player insists a 5-wheeled car is better than a 4-wheeled car?

Besides... I've known a lot of bass players who were flat, too. I'm not sure there are any bass players who know what a tuner is.

My last argument: The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Sleater-Kinney. The defense rests.

Well, we all know that 5 wheels are better than four... it means more tires to buy, but it also means better performance and gives you more options while driving... unstoppable...

It sounds like you've being playing with the wrong bassists there mig... you come to parch town and im not only not flat, but im pretty full of hot air ;)

And to your last argument I say: all of those bands suck

And it's damn good to be back
  • parchy wrote:
    Well, we all know that 5 wheels are better than four... it means more tires to buy, but it also means better performance and gives you more options while driving... unstoppable...

"dude, what key are you in?"

"ah, I think drop-A..."

"damn five-strings..."
  • "dude, what key are you in?"

"ah, I think drop-A..."

"damn five-strings..."
    Well if they dont know what key they're in, there's not much to be done. That happens with alot of guitarists, too. Maybe the bassists where you live are just musically challenged.
    "dude, what key are you in?"

"ah, I think drop-A..."

"damn five-strings..."

Who the hell plays in drop A???
  • parchy wrote:
    Who the hell plays in drop A???

Who the hell plays with a low-B?
    Who the hell plays with a low-B?

I never need to tune to drop D... it's already there for me... I also have a whole lot more range when playing higher up... adds a whole two other notes to the scales I play
  • parchy wrote:
    I never need to tune to drop D... it's already there for me... I also have a whole lot more range when playing higher up... adds a whole two other notes to the scales I play

Let's all just agree to tune to open-C...

And hold hands and sing songs in rounds...
    Let's all just agree to tune to open-C...

And hold hands and sing songs in rounds...

Who are you, Fleetwood Mac?

*I actually think 'The Chain' is in drop C#, but you get the point
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    you would have loved the inbreds, parch. just bass and drums. they were a damn good bad.

but this whole argument illustrates why bands are no fun sometimes.
  • ColdieColdie Posts: 18
    im going to be getting a bass amp for christmas and am very excited to learn. Any reccomendations on a good beginner/good to grow into amp? I will also need a new bass guitar soon, but I have a cheapo to start off with
  • Coldie wrote:
    im going to be getting a bass amp for christmas and am very excited to learn. Any reccomendations on a good beginner/good to grow into amp?

I have one of these that I'm looking to sell:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?CatID=7&SubCatID=35&ProdID=DB-500

Probably looking in the neighborhood of $300 plus S&H. Read more here:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Roland/DB_500-01.html

It's got some different stuff that would give you lots to play with, like on-board overdrive, tube modelling, compression, and chorus. Plus it's loud enough to jam with a band or play a gig with, and it has DI outputs for when you're a rock-star and you need to connect with a PA system. Best thing for you, though: headphone outputs, so you can play all night long, and nobody but you will hear... cuts down on the eviction notices.
  • You may be the wheels... but you are flower-shaped golden wheels with a pink ribbon tied around them. bottomline: very hard to find

yeh, my band needs a bassist ...
    Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
    Best starter bass amp on the market that will give you a whole lot of room to grow into (you won't need another one until you start playing larger venues and you want a cab setup):

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00453810/wc/1A1B13/fam/1B1/tcode/3/tko.cfm
  • parchy wrote:
    Best starter bass amp on the market that will give you a whole lot of room to grow into (you won't need another one until you start playing larger venues and you want a cab setup):

http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00453810/wc/1A1B13/fam/1B1/tcode/3/tko.cfm

DUDE.

Trying to make a sale here. ix-nay on the eavey-pay...
    DUDE.

Trying to make a sale here. ix-nay on the eavey-pay...

Oh my bad...

It blows ass... don't buy it...

BTW... it really does weight about 90 pounds, and as we speak I'm debating whether it's really worth it to drag it over to my buddies house for a jam... it's kept me from doing it in the past...
  • parchy wrote:
    BTW... it really does weight about 90 pounds, and as we speak I'm debating whether it's really worth it to drag it over to my buddies house for a jam... it's kept me from doing it in the past...

I had a Crate 1x15" bass combo amp that I used to play through, and it was the same sorta deal. Too damn heavy to lug around. Even my Roland weighs probably 60-70 pounds. But those Peaveys are monsters...

That's one reason I love my Marshall 4x10" guitar cab so much... it's got lotsa noise, but it's relatively light and easy to move. Now, my Sunn 6x10" cabinet... that thing was a beast...
    The main reason I love it so much is because the thing is a freaking tank... I had a Yamaha PA package that weighs a ton fall directly onto the cab and it barely made a dent... it's an amazing thing...
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I don't know parch, I'm perfectly happy with an acoustic guitar and a beautiful voice. All I really need. :eek:

*runs and hides*
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • ColdieColdie Posts: 18
    thanks everyone. i have to wait and see what kinda cash i get over the holidays. i cant fucking wait to get this amp and get started.
  • Sold my 5 string 6 months after purchasing it. I came out of my daze, and have been confused ever sense on why I bought it. I've never heard a 5 string sound good thru a P.A., or on an album. Also I don't take the "lead" bass player or show off approach and just focus on being the backbone of the band with the drummer so that could be another reason why I don't use a 5 string.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Sold my 5 string 6 months after purchasing it. I came out of my daze, and have been confused ever sense on why I bought it. I've never heard a 5 string sound good thru a P.A., or on an album. Also I don't take the "lead" bass player or show off approach and just focus on being the backbone of the band with the drummer so that could be another reason why I don't use a 5 string.

Half of the jams I'm involved in I make use of the low B string, so it's not really fair to say that unless you're a Victor Wooten kind of performer you don't have use of the 5th string... it's really amazing all of the things I've been able to do with it that I didn't think I would... I still have my 4 string but I just don't use it as much as I used to
  • parchy wrote:
    Half of the jams I'm involved in I make use of the low B string, so it's not really fair to say that unless you're a Victor Wooten kind of performer you don't have use of the 5th string... it's really amazing all of the things I've been able to do with it that I didn't think I would... I still have my 4 string but I just don't use it as much as I used to

Wooten doesn't play 5-strings... he gets it done with 4...

*snicker*

Sold my 5 string 6 months after purchasing it. I came out of my daze, and have been confused ever sense on why I bought it. I've never heard a 5 string sound good thru a P.A., or on an album. Also I don't take the "lead" bass player or show off approach and just focus on being the backbone of the band with the drummer so that could be another reason why I don't use a 5 string.

Glad you finally saw the light, buddy...
  • all hail the bass guitar
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    you could have a band with no bassist.
    you could have a band with no guitars.
    you could have a band with no drummer.
    you could have a band with no singer.

^Missing one of these is really lame though.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I'd have to say that there are advantages to both the 4 string and the 5 string. I think alot of it comes down to personal preference.
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • nailz100 wrote:
    I'd have to say that there are advantages to both the 4 string and the 5 string. I think alot of it comes down to personal preference.

Parchy knows that I'm just a four-string purist, and I talk a lot of shit, but it's all in good fun.
  • low B string = big thumb rest!!! :P

im kind of toyed with the idea of having a 5 string a few years ago, but really didn't see the point for the stuff i was doing. besides, with the bass im using i can pretty much tune down to be anyway, its just a bit flappy!
  • samicksamick Posts: 373
    Yeah...

*Cough*The Doors*cough*
  • samick wrote:
    *Cough*The Doors*cough*

And yes, when all else fails, you can get a keyboard player.

How many bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?
    --None, the keyboard player can do that with his left hand!