We are bassists and you can't live without us!!

Comments

• parchyparchy Posts: 205
    This thread needs ressurecting
    Make Movies. Don't make Videos. Videos are evil.
  • parchy wrote:
    This thread needs ressurecting

That's right... without some occasional abuse, you bass players start thinking you're important and shit.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I love the White Stripes and the Doors. They are both great without a bass player. I play guitar in a band and I have a marshall half stack combo and our drummer is pretty loud. However our bass player only has a small 25 watt crate. I hate playing without being able to hear the bass. Soon he is going to get a crate half stack with a 220 watt head and a 412 cab. Kind of a step up. Any bass players think that might be too loud of a head? Please respond.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • rage333 wrote:
    Soon he is going to get a crate half stack with a 220 watt head and a 412 cab. Kind of a step up. Any bass players think that might be too loud of a head? Please respond.

Is that a bass amp, or a guitar amp that he'll just use for bass?

It's not a bad idea to have more power than you need. For one, it means that you'll never over-work it... it'll always be in a safe operating range. Also, lower frequencies take more energy to reproduce, so having extra wattage for the bass is a pretty good idea anyways.
    the crate he is getting is a bass amp. I was just wondering if 220 watts would be too loud. I mean my Marshall half stack is 50 watts (guitar amp) and it is really loud. Someone told me that bass amps need a little extra wattage to put out the deep low end. But do you think he will be able to turn it up past 3 or 4 without blowing us away?
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Last year I started playing the bass. It was fun, but didnt last long. I got over it pretty quickly. I'm still trying to figure out what instrument I should play. For now, my brother put me on his old acoustic guitar. It's pretty sick. Playing bass still rocks, but I'm not that into it. I'm kinda liking guitar better. But as far as the white strips go, I think they should get a bassist. The Doors can pull it off, but not the white strips.
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
  • rage333 wrote:
    the crate he is getting is a bass amp. I was just wondering if 220 watts would be too loud. I mean my Marshall half stack is 50 watts (guitar amp) and it is really loud. Someone told me that bass amps need a little extra wattage to put out the deep low end. But do you think he will be able to turn it up past 3 or 4 without blowing us away?

Well, just make sure he doesn't turn past 3 or 4. Just because the power is there, doesn't mean you gotta use it. That person was right... you do need more power for low-end in a bass.

Is your Marshall a tube amp or a solid-state amp?

I think a 200-watt bass amp would match nicely to a 50-watt tube guitar amp. Just about the right size.
  • bayleafbayleaf Posts: 128
    wGp~KiD wrote:
    you could have a band with no bassist.
    you could have a band with no guitars.
    you could have a band with no drummer.
    you could have a band with no singer.

^Missing one of these is really lame though.

I dunno about that, the fanatics just have a guitarist / singer and programming and they kick some major ass.
    ~*~*~*~*~*OFFICIAL KIWI JAMMER No 6*~*~*~*~*~
    my amp is a marshall Avt with valvestate technology. I read that it is half tube half valve. I have only turned it up to about half way and it is way loud. Thanks for all your helpfull knowledge mccready. now I can sleep at night.
    That's right... without some occasional abuse, you bass players start thinking you're important and shit.

Important??? Noooo...
  • parchy wrote:
    Important??? Noooo...

Well, that's good...

Don't want any of you thinkin' you have rights and shit.

Especially you 5-stringers.
    Well, that's good...

Don't want any of you thinkin' you have rights and shit.

Especially you 5-stringers.

Nope... I'll just sit back here and thump away on my new tune...

"Women are just like the bass... they're big and fat and like being slapped..."
  • parchy wrote:
    "Women are just like the bass... they're big and fat and like being slapped..."

Terrible...
    Terrible...

But true...
  • parchy wrote:
    But true...

You're going to hell.

For playing a 5-string, not for your misogynist comments.
  • In fact, I just started learning bass about a month ago. I've got an Ibanez starter pack (*watches everyone bust up laughing* hey, it was a good deal) and I'm in love with the sound the instrument puts out. I'm looking for a better amplifier though, any suggestions?
    The human race is a race of heroes corrupted by the ones who denounce themselves.

I have seen Atlantis.
  • I'm looking for a better amplifier though, any suggestions?

Budget?

What kinda sound?

How loud?
    In fact, I just started learning bass about a month ago. I've got an Ibanez starter pack (*watches everyone bust up laughing* hey, it was a good deal) and I'm in love with the sound the instrument puts out. I'm looking for a better amplifier though, any suggestions?

I had one of those back in the day... Ibanez starter pack... I still have the mini amp (it's right next to me in fact)... anyways, after some, umm, 'beautifications' to it using a hammer and a whole lot of sandpaper, it looks... shall we say, interesting...

Anyways, if you're going early go Peavey... it is the only way
  • Budget?

What kinda sound?

How loud?
    $700 max

I could use some help in the "sound" department.

Pretty damn loud :)
    The human race is a race of heroes corrupted by the ones who denounce themselves.

I have seen Atlantis.
  • Peavey's a good way to go...

I like Carvin's bass stuff, too, in that price range.

I'd look for a good 200-500 watt head and a 4x10" cabinet.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7301073361&rd=1

bass guys check that out. wow.

couple that with a 300 watt Mesa or Ampeg tube head - plug in a stingray or an old fender. ROCK!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23792&item=7301475251&rd=1
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • parchy rules!

I have a Peavey and I love it; I wish I were better at playing it though. It definately does not get the attention and love it deserves.

c-
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=7301073361&rd=1

bass guys check that out. wow.

couple that with a 300 watt Mesa or Ampeg tube head - plug in a stingray or an old fender. ROCK!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23792&item=7301475251&rd=1

Those Boogie heads are the shiznit. Love 'em. The only thing better (arguably, anyways) is an SVT Ampeg.

That cab, though... not a big fan of horn-loaded cabs for any instrument. The sound is just... weird... great for big rooms, but not great for on stage. I'd rather have a 4x10" cab with a mic into the PA.
  • gotz idgotz id Posts: 125
    Who needs a bass player when you have an octave pedal!!
    I wish I was the 10Club holiday single, the one that never showed up...

gotz id wrote:
    Who needs a bass player when you have an octave pedal!!

That sir, is blastphemy
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    parchy wrote:
    That sir, is blastphemy

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com see Octron sounds good with bass too.

but yeah, it's pretty much blasphemy
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    bass players can't spell it appears.
  • TavTav Posts: 63
    What's with all the anti-five string comments? It's only an extra string. It doesn't need to change the way you play or the way you sound. It's mearly adding another tool to use. I would certainly welcome an extra string so don't need de-tune/change positions within scales. I only have one bass just now but I am tempted to get a five to compliment my four...perhaps something really good...like a Music Man or such like. I say don't be close minded and have 4's and 5's...I don't really get 6+ string basses though! The neck width is getting a little extreme. 8 string basses with paired strings are cool...see Jeff! lol
  • exhausted wrote:
    bass players can't spell it appears.

Careful, he might blast you with his blast-phemy gun....
    Tav wrote:
    What's with all the anti-five string comments? It's only an extra string. It doesn't need to change the way you play or the way you sound. It's mearly adding another tool to use. I would certainly welcome an extra string so don't need de-tune/change positions within scales. I only have one bass just now but I am tempted to get a five to compliment my four...perhaps something really good...like a Music Man or such like. I say don't be close minded and have 4's and 5's...I don't really get 6+ string basses though! The neck width is getting a little extreme. 8 string basses with paired strings are cool...see Jeff! lol

I like this guy's style... mig, take notes