So what Gigaton songs will survive to the 2024 tour?

Comments

• Bunting10Bunting10 Massachusetts, USA Posts: 690
    Is there hate for Quick Escape?  I think it’s a great song and needs to stay.  Dotc, sbwm, who ever said, retrograde and seven o’clock will all stick around for a few more tours I think.  Not every night songs but multiple plays.

Key PJ cities like Boston and Seattle as well as Aus/nz didn’t get to be part of the Gigaton tour so I’m sure some will make appearances there 
    Soon to be 28 and counting:

1998: Mansfield, MA (9/15)
    2000: Virginia Beach, VA (8/3), Saratoga Springs, NY (8/27), Mansfield, MA (8/29 and 8/30)
    2003: Albany, NY (4/29), Mansfield, MA (7/2 and 7/3), New York, NY (7/8 and 7/9)
    2006: Hartford, CT (5/23), Boston, MA (5/24 and 5/25)
    2009: Chicago, IL (8/23 and 8/24)
    2010: Boston, MA (5/17)
    2011: East Troy, WI (9/3 and 9/4)
    2013: Worcester, MA (10/15 and 10/16), Hartford, CT (10/25)
    2016: Boston, MA (8/5 and 8/7)
    2018: Boston, MA (9/2 and 9/4)
    2022: Camden, NJ (9/14)
    2024: Boston, MA (9/15 and 9/17)
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,398
    edited December 2023
    Whoever Said, Quick Escape, and the occasional / rare early set Retrograde - compare it to say Pendulum from LB.

DOTC should never be played again (great album song), just doesn't fit the set/flow of the band live it definitely killed the flow of almost all 11 Gigaton shows I was at and resulted in mass exodus to beer lines and restrooms - the others are deep cuts.

I liked most of them especially Never Destination - but they are definitely rarer songs now.
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    Hoping Quick Escape makes it. Didn’t get to hear it last tour, and the guitar solo at the end is killer. I also how DOTC makes it. I’m a bit fan. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    The first time I heard DOTC live was at Ohana in 2021. Mike was having guitar issues, so it wasn't the best version. The next 2 times I saw them (OKC 2022, FTW2 2023), it sounded great. Love that song.

I think Quick Escape, Dance & Seven O'Clock will stick long-term. I think they'll play Buckle Up, Who Ever Said , Superblood & Retrograde every once in awhile.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    I do think if a certain former President somehow gets re-elected next year, Quick Escape and Seven O' Clock will remain prevalent for a while. 
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    Quick Escape and DOTC for sure. Seven O'Clock, Retrograde, Whoever Said good chance. SBWM, No way Ed remembers those lyrics. I think second leg of tour it was pretty much dropped from rotation as well
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    PJNB said:
    This might not be a popular opinion but I would be good with no songs making the cut. They do love to play DOTC though it seems. 
    I’m with you. Gigaton is one of my least favorite record from them. Especially with the slightly shorter setlists…
  • Quick escape will definitely stay in the rotation. 
    SBWM will likely be a semi-regular. 

DOTC, and Whoever Said should stay around but likely won’t. Whoever said should close sets it’s so good 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Whoever Said, quick escape, seven o’clock, never destination, retrograde were my favorites live

saw them all except comes then goes obviously 
  • Only saw 3 Gigaton shows, but I missed Superblood Wolfmoon and Quick Escape. Really hope those stick around!

Loved the songs I heard: DOTC, Who Ever Said, 7 o’clock, Buckle Up, Retrograde, and River Cross.

Odd that I missed two of the singles!
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,808
    edited December 2023
    If there’s a new album, they may ditch Gigaton songs for the most part

I always thought Sirens would be a staple forever, and I can’t remember the last time it was played.  

With the shorter shows, if any Gigaton songs do make the cut, it’ll be the shorter ones, though.  Can’t see them breaking out a 6 minute “7 O clock” or “Quick escape” that often.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
    Bunting10 said:
    Is there hate for Quick Escape?  I think it’s a great song and needs to stay.  Dotc, sbwm, who ever said, retrograde and seven o’clock will all stick around for a few more tours I think.  Not every night songs but multiple plays.

Key PJ cities like Boston and Seattle as well as Aus/nz didn’t get to be part of the Gigaton tour so I’m sure some will make appearances there 
    Quick Escape is a very mediocre PJ song for me personally.  It’s kind of like the comedian Tim Robinson.  Is he actually funny, or just really loud?  Same goes for Quick Escape to me.  
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    who ever said should be but i doubt it best song on the album
    danny d
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,332
    Am i misremembering? but  i swear that when Gigaton was released, it was nearly universally loved and praised on this forum?  Funny after three and a half years its getting thrown on to the "post 2000" trash pile.  As far as going forward, Id be thrilled to hear Dance, SBWM, Who Ever Said, or 7oclock at any show.

I will fully confess.  I listen to the album far less than i thought i would.
  • bzouidenbzouiden Posts: 133
    Regulars 
    Quick Escape 
    DOTC
    Whoever said
    SBWM

Once a tour
    Retrograde 
    Never Destination
    Alright 

rare
    River Cross
    Take the Long Way 
    Buckle up
    7 o’clock

Maybe once or never
    Comes Then Goes 
    Kansas City 1998  /\  Kansas City 2000  /\  Kansas City 2003  /\  St. Louis 2014
    Ohana Encore N1 & N2 2021 /\ St. Louis 2022  /\  OKC 2022  /\  Chicago N1 & N2 2023
    Chicago N1 & N2 2024

mr bungle said:
    Am i misremembering? but  i swear that when Gigaton was released, it was nearly universally loved and praised on this forum?  Funny after three and a half years its getting thrown on to the "post 2000" trash pile.  As far as going forward, Id be thrilled to hear Dance, SBWM, Who Ever Said, or 7oclock at any show.

critically acclaimed as well

DOTC slammed here mostly...my friends who like the Hits, say its an innovative song that bless them after 30 plus years they are still trying new things and creating a fun tune 

here....its trash 
    CROJAM95 said:
    mr bungle said:

critically acclaimed as well

DOTC slammed here mostly...my friends who like the Hits, say its an innovative song that bless them after 30 plus years they are still trying new things and creating a fun tune 

here....its trash 
    I loved DOTC, Who Ever Said and Retrograde.  Rest of the album is a pass for me.  
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,169
    JojoRice said:
    6 Gigaton shows for me.....never got Alright, Retrograde, Comes Then Goes.  I have a feeling Comes Then Goes makes its live debut this next tour. 

We did 4 Gigaton Canadian shows. Only song we didn't get to hear from Gigaton was Comes Then Goes. 2024 they will probably play it. Guessing @ Indy.
    I think when the new one comes people will give Gigaton lil more respect...it always goes down like this, Like No Code turning off 1/2 the fan base at the time...now its better than the 1st 3 albums to many

Gigaton wont get to that territory, but it will climb a few notches in the coming years
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    demetrios said:
    JojoRice said:
    6 Gigaton shows for me.....never got Alright, Retrograde, Comes Then Goes.  I have a feeling Comes Then Goes makes its live debut this next tour. 

We did 4 Gigaton Canadian shows. Only song we didn't get to hear from Gigaton was Comes Then Goes. 2024 they will probably play it. Guessing @ Indy.
    I highly doubt it!  I dont think we'll ever see that song live.  It's too personal for Ed and likely would lead him to get too emotional.  I dont see it happening!  Maybe once for some special occasion but unlikely...
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,356
    Bunting10 said:

Quick Escape is a very mediocre PJ song for me personally.  It’s kind of like the comedian Tim Robinson.  Is he actually funny, or just really loud?  Same goes for Quick Escape to me.  
    Couldn't disagree more!  To me it's one of their best post 90's songs!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    demetrios said:
    JojoRice said:

Yes Please!
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,725
    edited December 2023
    Gigaton never grabbed me so I'm hoping for something completely different with the next album.  The songs I heard were fine live, I'd just rather hear many other songs from the catalog with the shorter shows. 
    Post edited by iOnlyownMymind on
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    edited December 2023
    mr bungle said:

It wasn't praised here or on Facebook.  I still listen to it regularly 
    I miss igotid88
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    edited December 2023
    I hope they play DOTC.  I never did get to see it performed live at the Oakland shows :(

I also really like Superblood Wolfmoon, Seven o' clock, comes then goes.

I kind of feel like I do about Lightning Bolt. Not my favourite PJ albums but there's still 3 or 4 songs on each album I quite like.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,154
    Really like Gigaton. Hope to hear one or two at each of next year’s Melbourne shows! Quick Escape and Whoever Said in particular. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 479
    DOTC and 7:00 are great album tracks that don't do well live ... on the other hand, Quick Escape and Who Ever Said crush live and I hope they stay as regulars ... and I'd vote for Retrograde as an 'occasional' tune
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    I'd be ok to never hear buckle up again.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,757
    Surprised people here are saying DOTC didn't work live. I thought they pulled it off great. And when I first heard it I wondered if it would translate? If Josh left maybe it wouldn't. But I think it came out well
    I miss igotid88
  • Retrograde was my favorite Gigaton song live by far. In St Louis, Mike got really into it and it was great