Boston being the sure fire best bet on a great concert?

2»

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,085
    edited October 2023
    Didn't care for Hartford 2010. I mean.. the same tour as BOSTON TWENTY TEN.
    But the 2008 Hartford show was my go to boot that tour. East coast represent. Great energy. 

STILL NOT BOSTON

Don't remember the 2006. I always went with the European (italian) shows when I listened to those boots.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I went to Hartford 06  I didn't like the place one bit. The area is not nice in my opinion.Didnt feel that safe. But that said plenty of places I've seen pj aren't great area's but I will add some stunning places. 
    Yeah, they started playing the XL Center after that and it's much, much better in my opinion.  Venue attaches directly to a hotel. Close to some bars/restaurants. Hopefully they keep playing there. 
  • Ha.  Hartford can be sorta sketchy.  I would never list it as "nice".  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,928
    Boston definitely has the best city vibe between NYC, Philly and Boston.  So much history and so many things to do.  Really walkable and just a fun place to spend a few days.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    on2legs said:
    Boston definitely has the best city vibe between NYC, Philly and Boston.  So much history and so many things to do.  Really walkable and just a fun place to spend a few days.  
    Agreed.  Boston is awesome.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,096
    Setlist which includes Fixer on, can't be perfect..
    But this is a great show SC..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,335
    I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. I went to school outside of Boston and lived in Boston for six years after that. So I have plenty of reason and experience to be biased toward shows in those cities. I have seen the band many times in these cities (eight times at MSG alone), as well as in many other cities from L.A. to Spokane to Fresno to Portland to Phoenix to Las Vegas to Camden, N.J. to Columbia, Md., etc., etc.

I firmly believe there is a feedback loop about shows in the northeast where people tell themselves the shows will be better, and then tell themselves that the shows were, in fact, better and, since the northeast is a population center, this feedback loop gets amplified. The reality is that there have been great shows in Boston and ordinary ones, and great shows in New York and ordinary ones. I'm not sure that I'd put any of those eight MSG shows above Jones Beach in 2000 or Randall's Island in 1996. And there have been many great shows far from the northeast. The two times I've seen them in Phoenix were in the top tier of the 70 shows I've seen. I've seen multiple shows in San Diego that were among the best.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • My opinion on the shows in other non-NE shows is that the fans are what let it down

Lived in SoCal for 20 years and saw all sorts of concerts out west.  (Not just SoCal)  
    The crowd at PJ shows in NE trump crowds for other concerts I've been to in other spots, and that is what makes them more fun, for me.
    This is why I'd love to see a show in B.A. or other South American city....or Berlin, or one of the other non_US locations where the crowds seems absolutely amazing.

Just my take, and of course opinions are like assholes.
    We all got 'em.  :)

• vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 891
    edited October 2023
    On the other end of the spectrum, Texas shows have been vastly underrated.  Dallas 2013 and both Austin 2023 shows were fire and some of the best crowds I've seen. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,148
    If we want to shift the narrative to "West Coast shows are always better you should travel there" that's great by me 
  • 💯!!!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    pjl44 said:
    If we want to shift the narrative to "West Coast shows are always better you should travel there" that's great by me 
    Ha ha. Agree.  Especially if your fan club number is lower than 139xxx.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Poncier said:
    DM282158 said:
    If they ever go back to Hartford….. #1 from my experience 
    Hartford draws diehards from Boston and NYC as well as a few from Philly. So you tend to get a crazy crowd.

^^^ This. For the actual concert, you want to go to Hartford. For tourism purposes, head north to Boston (New England states are small, you can take Amtrak from Boston to Hartford and back, I'd guess the trip  takes an hour or so. DO NOT DRIVE -- I-95 traffic can be the absolute worst.).  The city of Boston -- downtown -- is very small, quite walkable. It's the greatest college town on the planet, loads of history and culture.

And as for the drinking comments: drunkest PJ crowd I've seen was Philly, 2016, on a weeknight. Egads.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

On the other hand, the Hartford marathon is great -- but the town itself never struck me as a place I'd visit for anything other than a concert or a race.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    on2legs said:
    Boston, Philly,  New York… you can’t go wrong with any of those places for a show. 
    I'm hoping for these 3 cities in 2024 & hope to catch a Red Sox game as well 
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24

On the other hand, the Hartford marathon is great -- but the town itself never struck me as a place I'd visit for anything other than a concert or a race.
    I'd run fast to get out of town.  :lol:    
  • Mother F’ing Hartford!!!!

2013 is probably the best concert I’ve ever seen or witnessed in person. The place was insane and the structure was literally rocking! That’s the last time they played there, and I hope they come back before it all goes down! 
    Springfield MA 4/6/94; Hartford CT 9/13/98; Saratoga Springs NY 8/27/00;
    Albany NY 4/29/03; Mansfield MA 7/2/03; Mansfield MA 7/11/03; Boston MA 9/28/04;
    Hartford CT 5/13/06; Hartford CT 6/27/08; Hartford CT 5/15/10; Worcester MA 10/16/13; Hartford CT 10/25/13;
    Fenway I 8/5/16; Fenway II 8/7/16; Fenway I  9/2/18; Fenway II  9/4/18; Fenway I 9/15/24
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    It is not just Pearl Jam. I grew up just outside of Hartford and that building has hosted just about every band you can think of. Great room that always had great sound. 
  • spankyMPspankyMP Posts: 1,747
    BF25394 said:
    I was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York. I went to school outside of Boston and lived in Boston for six years after that. So I have plenty of reason and experience to be biased toward shows in those cities. I have seen the band many times in these cities (eight times at MSG alone), as well as in many other cities from L.A. to Spokane to Fresno to Portland to Phoenix to Las Vegas to Camden, N.J. to Columbia, Md., etc., etc.

I firmly believe there is a feedback loop about shows in the northeast where people tell themselves the shows will be better, and then tell themselves that the shows were, in fact, better and, since the northeast is a population center, this feedback loop gets amplified. The reality is that there have been great shows in Boston and ordinary ones, and great shows in New York and ordinary ones. I'm not sure that I'd put any of those eight MSG shows above Jones Beach in 2000 or Randall's Island in 1996. And there have been many great shows far from the northeast. The two times I've seen them in Phoenix were in the top tier of the 70 shows I've seen. I've seen multiple shows in San Diego that were among the best.

Agreed. I am from NY. You are brought up with NY is the best. In some ways it is, in some ways it is not, just like everywhere else. I saw many great shows in the NY area (Randalls Island II, Jones Beach x3, MSG 2010, it's all in my sig). For me, Charlottesville 2013 and Austin Nt 1 2023 (I was in the pit for both) are just as high up on my list as those shows and the Philly 2009 shows. It can happen anywhere. I lived in NC for years and it's the best and worst for it's own reasons too. Now I live in NH, so Boston here I come LOL!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,169
    Yep, just wish it was happening at the garden in 2024.