Options

Why are so many duffel bags on eBay?

Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
edited September 2023 in The Porch
This bag was the only merch item I was interested in this time around. We had tickets for two shows - Chi 2 and Indy, and in Chicago, they said indoors they had six bags in total and today in Indy I arrived at the outside merch stand at half past noon to a massive line and no more bags, flags or stickers even (I walked up to the front and asked one of the security guys who protected the merch van to ask the salespeople). Now I just took alook on eBay, and it is full of these bags. Yes, I could buy one off eBay but I already found the $80 steep and am not willing to pay double and more. Why can't we have the nice things? Does it all have to be about freaking profit and ripping off?

Post edited by Leezestarr313 on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,237
    I struck out at 3 shows as well. One show they even sold the last one  to the person in front of me. They must be very limited 
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    I think people like to 'fund their trips' with flipping the low-stock high-demand-items-of-the-tour like bags and basketballs...and posters, historically.  

• Options
    THETONYCLIFTONTHETONYCLIFTON SAN LUIS OBISPO Posts: 153
    I think people like to 'fund their trips' with flipping the low-stock high-demand-items-of-the-tour like bags and basketballs...and posters, historically.  

This. 
    "..to find the comfort in this world."
  • Options
    They did not check the parking lot today, so anybody could have stood in line and gotten merch. Oh well, maybe they decide to take the wind out of the sales of these people and just make more of the bags available online.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772
    edited September 2023
    They did not check the parking lot today, so anybody could have stood in line and gotten merch. Oh well, maybe they decide to take the wind out of the sales of these people and just make more of the bags available online.

This happens at every show. There's a ton of local people who couldn't name one Pearl Jam song, but are attracted to the merch simply because eBay.

"Pearl Jam? Oh, I couldn't name his big song now, but you should see what this stuff fetches on eBay!"

There's always a ton of "Yeah, I'll have that entire box and I don't care what's in it" type people too.

There was a special/unique show...it was possibly the Mad Season Seattle Symphony show...some jacknut was booed when he walked away with a stack of posters.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options

This happens at every show. There's a ton of local people who couldn't name one Pearl Jam song, but are attracted to the merch simply because eBay.

"Pearl Jam? Oh, I couldn't name his big song now, but you should see what this stuff fetches on eBay!"

There's always a ton of "Yeah, I'll have that entire box and I don't care what's in it" type people too.

There was a special/unique show...it was possibly the Mad Season Seattle Symphony show...some jacknut was booed when he walked away with a stack of posters.
    That just stinks, and I hope karma gets them at some point.

• Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    It kind of fits the bill of a flip-heavy item. Likely small quantity, little to no use for most people, but looks kind of cool...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550

• Options
    DragonsAfter3or4DragonsAfter3or4 Bluegrass Posts: 325

Daaammm😂 The merch situation beyond outta control.
  • Options

Disgusting.

• Options
    KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,237
    Lots of people support this to “offset costs of touring”. Shitty excuse if you ask me
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
  • Options
    Kwieneke said:
    Lots of people support this to “offset costs of touring”. Shitty excuse if you ask me

You're probably right. But the band has the power to make this flipping/merch situation better, and they choose to leave it as is.
  • Options
    Sarava said:
    Kwieneke said:

You're probably right. But the band has the power to make this flipping/merch situation better, and they choose to leave it as is.

The security at the merch stand today talked about how people walked away with piles worth lots of money. This is just an overall nasty situation. Maybe they should stop doing merch outside the venue. Or maybe they enjoy this.
  • Options
    Sarava said:
    Kwieneke said:

The security at the merch stand today talked about how people walked away with piles worth lots of money. This is just an overall nasty situation. Maybe they should stop doing merch outside the venue. Or maybe they enjoy this.

I think it's just a huge money maker for 10C and they prioritize that over making things easier for the fans. It is what it is.
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,077
    edited September 2023
    Happens all the time unfortunately, not just with Pearl Jam. Not sure if you follow the various poster groups but there was a well talked about incident on the recent Dead & Co show in Indy where one guy bought 100 posters to flip. At least PJ limits items to 1-2 per person. 
    Post edited by drfox on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    edited September 2023
    Most of it are other collectors.  People buy multiple of items to trade for other items they need for their collections.  Only a small portion end up on eBay. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    Story I told before.. a fan inside venue at telluride shouted from further back in the line to the head of PJ merch. "I want 50 posters will pay cash!"  I was in front of him. I said "No way he's going to flip them!" Head dude smiled a bit and allowed him to buy 10. There were no set limits at this show in 2016. Not sure why. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,891
    Kwieneke said:
    This excuse cracks me up.  If really is shitty.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    It's 100% what happens. You either care about your fellow fans or you don't and if you don't it funds more shows for people. Just how it is. The only way is to stop wanting 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    You'd think cancelling a show would cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everything is already paid for, except you have to refund the tickets or do it all over again. But looks like they probably made up for the cost by keeping the merch booths open. 
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,631
    mace1229 said:
    You'd think cancelling a show would cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Everything is already paid for, except you have to refund the tickets or do it all over again. But looks like they probably made up for the cost by keeping the merch booths open. 
    Not judging those who go for it, but personally, I’ll never ever understand the desire for show specific merch for a show that didn’t happen.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,694
    Its because its too soon to flip them in Lost Dogs as its not spring cleaning season.
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,377
    mace1229 said:
    Not judging those who go for it, but personally, I’ll never ever understand the desire for show specific merch for a show that didn’t happen.  
    Well....I was at Sacramento last year in merch line in sun when they canceled.  Since I'm native Californian I loved the bear design and green is my fave color.. so I bought one. 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Most of it are other collectors.  People buy multiple of items to trade for other items they need for their collections.  Only a small portion end up on eBay. 
    500+ listings for “Chicago Pearl Jam poster” on eBay right now. That’s not a small portion.
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    mace1229 said:

It's a cool looking shirt with someone's favorite band name on it. Also,the show-specific shirts are usually more interesting than the regular stuff in the 10C shop anyway.

People also buy vintage shirts of concerts they didn't attend, or weren't even alive for. Is that also a no-no?
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,896
    they really need a limit on all of the merch items.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited September 2023
    on2legs said:
    This is what I don't get. People look down on flipping, but buying excess to trade is okay. I really don't see the difference. If you buy it and don't plan to keep it, its flipping. You're either trading it for more money than you paid or trade it for something of higher value than you paid.
    I don't have a problem either way. I'm not standing in line more than about 15 minutes for merch, so flipping is the only way I'd get most of it. I'd rather live without it or pay a slight mark up than wait hours in line.
    I just don't get why selling is looked so down on but trading up is accepted.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,232
    Flipping has been going on since the beginning of time. Seattlebatman and Ninersfan started it paying people to stand in line.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,436
    mace1229 said:
    on2legs said:
    This is what I don't get. People look down on flipping, but buying excess to trade is okay. I really don't see the difference. If you buy it and don't plan to keep it, its flipping. You're either trading it for more money than you paid or trade it for something of higher value than you paid.
    I don't have a problem either way. I'm not standing in line more than about 15 minutes for merch, so flipping is the only way I'd get most of it. I'd rather live without it or pay a slight mark up than wait hours in line.
    I just don't get why selling is looked so down on but trading up is accepted.
    Agreed.  Buying extras to trade is flipping.  But as long as people are buying within the limits of the merch stand I really don’t mind if they are trading or selling the extras.  People going up multiple times to circumvent the limits is taking advantage and not fair to the other fans.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    No limits in Indy after the cancelation likely has something to do with it as well.