The Fan Exchange scam

Comments

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202

JZ280705 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JZ280705 said:
     I live in NC and they cancelled a show here 7 years ago because the state wouldn’t allow transgender women to use girls bathrooms.  
    Fixed this for you.
    Like “her”?

https://nypost.com/2023/05/16/university-of-wyoming-sorority-sisters-say-they-live-in-fear-of-trans-member/amp/
    No. What is happening there is a person who should be kicked out because of their behavior, not because of their gender. A biological woman who exhibits the same behavior should be kicked out too.
    JZ280705 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JZ280705 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JZ280705 said:
     I live in NC and they cancelled a show here 7 years ago because the state wouldn’t allow transgender women to use girls bathrooms.  
    Fixed this for you.
    Like “her”?

https://nypost.com/2023/05/16/university-of-wyoming-sorority-sisters-say-they-live-in-fear-of-trans-member/amp/
    The allegations in that lawsuit do not have any bearing on the reality that the overwhelming majority of transgender women are just trying to live their lives without being subject to discrimination and abuse, including the abuse they might suffer if, despite appearing to all the world as a woman, they are forced to use men's bathrooms. Statements like the one in your original post ignore this reality. You can't write transgender people out of existence by facilely stating that the issue was about "men using girls [sic] bathrooms."

If a person of any gender goes into a women's bathroom and engages in inappropriate behavior, there are already laws to deal with that. In the meantime, transgender women use women's bathrooms every day and hardly anyone even notices. Criminalizing those women in the hopes of preventing theoretical harms by people whose behavior would already be illegal makes no sense.
    Whatever the case, it’s an absolutely ridiculous thing to cancel a concert over.  It doesn’t do anything but disappoint fans.  It accomplishes nothing.  It’s like climate protesters pissing off people by blocking traffic.
    That I will agree with, it did nothing to change anything. Use your stage as a platform to speak out about it, don't take the show away from your fans.

• Zod said:
    This is how platinum tickets work.  When we were all younger the goal was for bands/promoters to blow out all their tickets immediately.  No one wanted to be left holding the bag if a concert didn't sell out.   As tickets were sold for less than market value, it crate the ripe environment for scalpers to exist and make money flipping the tickets.

It's different now as the goal switched from selling all the tickets right away, to maximizing the revenue.  Platinum tickets work by withholding a bunch of tickets, and try to use demand based pricing.  Trickle them out leading up to the show to get the maximum you can for the tickets.

The thing is if they don't sell enough of them, they're left holding a bunch of unsold tickets as the show approaches, so they blow them all out at face value or less.

There's some shows that are in such demand there isn't much left as the show approaches, but some shows the demand is less and there's a bunch.

I find this new system challenging because I have to travel to shows.  So waiting until the last few days to buy tickets is really a hard thing to do :(

but yah.. I guess the moral of the story is don't buy platinum tickets, and only buy 10c tickets you intend to use?
    There’s a difference in intending to use the tickets and then not being able to compete with Ticketmaster because they can lower their price whenever they want. 

I know people who missed the show last night with lower level tickets that ended up eating them because their flights were cancelled because of the hurricane and then Ticketmaster suddenly finds rows of prime seats last minute…. 

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited September 2023
    I think the whole nontransferable ticket thing is dumb. I'd be okay with laws that prevent from selling tickets above face value, but I should be able to transfer them if I want. Which would allow you to sell them below face and not eat the entire cost if you can't go last minute. 
  • So are there a lot of folks who get stuck with tickets they couldn’t sell/transfer? I had to sell my Chicago II tickets but the seats make it easy for me to get rid of
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    dmbolp said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    @Weston1283 where did you see tickets for $20 and $30?  On ticketmaster?
    Think he was speculating what the price would get down to IF you could lower F2F price:

"Even if you could lower the price…. Tickets for tonight would be going for 20-30 bucks in the 300 levels, and they MIGHT sell at that

This is 2023.  Tickets are down, merch is down, posters are down.  
    Yes this is what I meant.  Since these shows were announced, it was easy to see that MSP would have the lowest demand.  We saw this with multiple shows last year (Fresno, SAC, etc...) where people were unable to dump or even give away tickets

It all comes down to demand for individual shows.  I don't see anyone complaining about Fan2Fan for Indy or the Texas shows (but DFW shows are starting to have increased supply) - If you cant make it 100% - list them now!!  And if you have to cancel within 12-48 hours, those tickets probably wouldn't be worth much anyway due to last minute supply saturation.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,807
    edited September 2023
    JZ280705 said:
    dmbolp said:
    mcgruff10 said: This is 2023.  Tickets are down, merch is down, posters are down.  
    Don’t understand this comment.  This is a record year for ticket prices.  They are least twice what they were pre COVID.  Live Nation/Ticketmaster is making tons of money with their monopoly/price manipulation tactics.
    For acts like Taylor Swift yes, it is a record year.  Pearl Jam is not in that tier anymore.  An aging band playing less shows with less songs and less variety.... I think it is going to get easier and easier to get PJ tickets as time passes, not harder.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    JZ280705 said:
    dmbolp said:
    mcgruff10 said: This is 2023.  Tickets are down, merch is down, posters are down.  
    Don’t understand this comment.  This is a record year for ticket prices.  They are least twice what they were pre COVID.  Live Nation/Ticketmaster is making tons of money with their monopoly/price manipulation tactics.
    For acts like Taylor Swift yes, it is a record year.  Pearl Jam is not in that tier anymore.  An aging band playing less shows with less songs and less variety.... I think it is going to get easier and easier to get PJ tickets as time passes, not harder.
    It comes down to where they play, too. I'm not convinced a Boston - Hartford - MSG - Philly run would see easy to get tickets. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,321
    JZ280705 said:
    dmbolp said:
    It doesn't have anything to do with them playing fewer songs. The average ticket buyer is not keeping track and, for many concertgoers, playing a two-hour show instead of a three-hour show is a feature, not a bug. And playing fewer shows should increase demand, not decrease it. The Rolling Stones are a geriatric band that tours only every few years and doesn't vary their sets at all, and they have no problem selling tickets. Pearl Jam is just not that popular anymore, but they're still enough of a draw to fill most U.S. arenas.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,321
    JZ280705 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JZ280705 said:
    BF25394 said:
    JZ280705 said:
    Fixed this for you.
    Like “her”?

The allegations in that lawsuit do not have any bearing on the reality that the overwhelming majority of transgender women are just trying to live their lives without being subject to discrimination and abuse, including the abuse they might suffer if, despite appearing to all the world as a woman, they are forced to use men's bathrooms. Statements like the one in your original post ignore this reality. You can't write transgender people out of existence by facilely stating that the issue was about "men using girls [sic] bathrooms."

If a person of any gender goes into a women's bathroom and engages in inappropriate behavior, there are already laws to deal with that. In the meantime, transgender women use women's bathrooms every day and hardly anyone even notices. Criminalizing those women in the hopes of preventing theoretical harms by people whose behavior would already be illegal makes no sense.
    Whatever the case, it’s an absolutely ridiculous thing to cancel a concert over.  It doesn’t do anything but disappoint fans.  It accomplishes nothing.  It’s like climate protesters pissing off people by blocking traffic.
    I actually tend to agree about the usefulness of these protests, in general, but boycotts actually have changed public policy in some circumstances. In this situation, boycotts by Pearl Jam and others created political pressure that led to the bathroom bill being rescinded. The band's moral calculus would likely hold that disappointed fans do not represent as great an injustice as gender discrimination.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,889
    edited September 2023
    mcgruff10 said:
    @Weston1283 where did you see tickets for $20 and $30?  On ticketmaster?
    Vivid had upper level for St Paul 1 for under $50 including fees. Lowest get in for tonight is about $125. All the lower and club level F2F listings for tonight have now sold, which is a huge difference compared to night 1 
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:
    I do wonder.  How much extra revenue do they get from the platinum tickets.  It's pretty clear they aren't selling all of them at above face.   How much could it could possibly add to the regular ticket prices, if they took that amount of money, divided it by 16,000, and added it to all the other tickets?

I think I'd rather pay $20 more per ticket, then deal with platinum thing.

I suppose at a minimum we should start a "Petition to allow fan2fan to sell tickets below face value" thread.   Not sure if TM/Pearl Jam would do it, as it could result in them holding the bag on unsold tickets.

In regards to fan2fan, I really don't like how it's made fan club tickets disposable.   It's made it so easy for fans to buy tickets, see they aren't good, then try to dump them again, but it pushes everyones tickets further back that actually do use their tickets.  It also allows non 10c'ers access to 10c tickets.  Like your almost better off not using 10c, and sniping fan2fan tickets or unsold platinum tickets (if you can gamble with the travel aspect of it).

Since 10C seats keep getting pushed further back, more transparency would be nice.

Claim that Premium tickets subsidize 10C tickets?  ok, prove it!  Show me the money!
    Of course higher priced seats subsidize lower priced ones. Platinum pricing generates additional revenue they wouldn't have otherwise. If there were no platinum sales, they would have to raise the standard price to make the same amount of money 
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:
    I do wonder.  How much extra revenue do they get from the platinum tickets.  It's pretty clear they aren't selling all of them at above face.   How much could it could possibly add to the regular ticket prices, if they took that amount of money, divided it by 16,000, and added it to all the other tickets?

I suppose at a minimum we should start a "Petition to allow fan2fan to sell tickets below face value" thread.   Not sure if TM/Pearl Jam would do it, as it could result in them holding the bag on unsold tickets.

In regards to fan2fan, I really don't like how it's made fan club tickets disposable.   It's made it so easy for fans to buy tickets, see they aren't good, then try to dump them again, but it pushes everyones tickets further back that actually do use their tickets.  It also allows non 10c'ers access to 10c tickets.  Like your almost better off not using 10c, and sniping fan2fan tickets or unsold platinum tickets (if you can gamble with the travel aspect of it).

Since 10C seats keep getting pushed further back, more transparency would be nice.

Claim that Premium tickets subsidize 10C tickets?  ok, prove it!  Show me the money!
    Of course higher priced seats subsidize lower priced ones. Platinum pricing generates additional revenue they wouldn't have otherwise. If there were no platinum sales, they would have to raise the standard price to make the same amount of money 
    ok, prove it! Show me the money!
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    edited September 2023
    mace1229 said:
    I think the whole nontransferable ticket thing is dumb. I'd be okay with laws that prevent from selling tickets above face value, but I should be able to transfer them if I want. Which would allow you to sell them below face and not eat the entire cost if you can't go last minute. 
    Transfer also allows you to scalp at way above face value. You can’t have it both ways
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

It's simple logic and math... 
  • So are there a lot of folks who get stuck with tickets they couldn’t sell/transfer? I had to sell my Chicago II tickets but the seats make it easy for me to get rid of
    All that complaining about seat location for nothing?
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,987
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

What he said.  Pretty easy to figure out.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | 2024-05-16 Las Vegas | 2024-05-18 Las Vegas | 2024-08-31 Chicago
    edited September 2023
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

Sunk cost fallacy would be a better explanation.

Pearl Jam has an audience that's already financially and emotionally invested in seeing their shows. 

So Pearl Jam can continue to charge more $, and continue to push 10C into worse seats.

Because what are you gonna do about it? Cancel your membership? Join some other fan club? 
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    edited September 2023
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

1 ticket at $1000 + 9 tickets at $100 = $1900
    Now, take away the $1000 ticket.
    $1900 / 10 tickets = $190
    mattcoz said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

Pretty sure I saw more than 10 people at the show Thursday

You think $1,000 was the average Premium price?

I know my 10C ticket was more than $100

And I doubt there's 9 10C members for every Premium ticket.

Your numbers don't add up. Try again?
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:
    Transfer also allows you to scalp at way above face value. You can’t have it both ways
    Why can't fans sell tickets at market value?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    CM189191 said:
    mattcoz said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

I think the point was just to use numbers that are easy to put together
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
    Kwieneke said:
    CM189191 said:
    mattcoz said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

I disagree. I don't think the numbers are so simple. 

I think 10 club members are getting soaked with this new premium pricing and they don't even realize it. Which is why I'm asking for transparency.

Or, maybe we should just trust Ticketmaster's and take their word for it. I'm sure Ticketmaster has our best interest in mind, right?
    CM189191 said:
    Kwieneke said:
    CM189191 said:
    mattcoz said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

I think 10 club members are getting soaked with this new premium pricing and they don't even realize it. Which is why I'm asking for transparency.

Or, maybe we should just trust Ticketmaster's and take their word for it. I'm sure Ticketmaster has our best interest in mind, right?
    They say 10% are premium. So for every 100 tickets, 90 sell @ 160 (14,400) and 10 sell at say 500 (5000), for a total of $19,400. Without premium, the total would be 16,000. Therefore, you would have to raise the price of standard tickets to $194 to make the same amount of money. The conclusion is that premium is subsidizing the standard tickets by allowing them to only charge 160. 
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    IMO a much bigger issue is 10C charging the same price for all tickets.

A small group gets $500 market value tickets for a 70% discount...forever. A larger group overpays by 50-100% for nosebleeds. Obviously this is very much show dependant - at MSG, everyone who wins the lottery is getting a good deal. But when I hear about 10C members having to eat tickets and sell at massive losses to recoup money for the Chicago shows, it rubs me the wrong way.

The terms of the club are what they are...and FWIW I fully support the seniority system. I think it's very fair to use to determine seat locations. But I'm not sure it's equitable to have one group of 10C members be massive financial winners and another essentially subsidizing this. 
    edited September 2023
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Kwieneke said:
    CM189191 said:
    mattcoz said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

They say 10% are premium. So for every 100 tickets, 90 sell @ 160 (14,400) and 10 sell at say 500 (5000), for a total of $19,400. Without premium, the total would be 16,000. Therefore, you would have to raise the price of standard tickets to $194 to make the same amount of money. The conclusion is that premium is subsidizing the standard tickets by allowing them to only charge 160. 

How do you know premium tickets are averaging $500?

And you're not including 10C annual dues.
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Kwieneke said:
    CM189191 said:
    mattcoz said:
    CM189191 said:
    SHZA said:
    CM189191 said:
    Zod said:

How do you know premium tickets are averaging $500?

And you're not including 10C annual dues.
    You're missing the point. Whether premiums average 200, 500, 1000, or any number in between, plug that number into the equation and adjust accordingly. However much additional revenue is generated by the differential between the premium price and regular price subsidizes the regular priced tickets. Without it, regular price would have to be higher to reach the same profit. 

10c dues have nothing to do with it. Those exist regardless of whether some tickets are premium priced or not. 
  • The Cure is an aging band, too that doesn't always tour and a lot of their shows were sold out this year.  They did make efforts to keep ticket prices, low though.
  • I just saw Springsteen last Saturday night at Gillette for $58 before fees in the 3rd row of the 300's and had a great time.  Wasn't sold out and the weather held up thankfully.
  • LBCeddie said:
    So are there a lot of folks who get stuck with tickets they couldn’t sell/transfer? I had to sell my Chicago II tickets but the seats make it easy for me to get rid of
    All that complaining about seat location for nothing?
    Unforeseen circumstances popped up and my daughter couldn’t make it so had to cancel! But yeah I’ll complain every time if I get seats that are not corresponding with 10C membership # 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....