Record Stores in your Hometown that have Closed & you miss

Let's hear them.

*The reason why is because I want to make t-shirts for them... 
I have a website where I make shirts of places that have closed down.
Defunct record store shirts are always cool. 

I'm like a tab

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Let's hear them.

So many. But a lot of new ones have opened as well so that is great. But I miss one called Sounds. It was on St. Mark’s Place in NYC. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,178
    I miss Sam the Record Man.
  • BlackCircleBlackCircle Posts: 371
    GlowGirl said:
    Let's hear them.

So many. But a lot of new ones have opened as well so that is great. But I miss one called Sounds. It was on St. Mark’s Place in NYC. 

I'm like a tab
    demetrios said:

I'm like a tab
  • Edved007Edved007 Posts: 1,033
    Atomic Records in Milwaukee was awesome. Recently The Exclusive Company closed all their locaitons as well. The original owner/patriarch died and the kids closed or sold all the locations off before he was in the ground it seemed.  They were smart enough to do a run of t-shirts at the bitter end for all us nostalgic types. 
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
    Edved007 said:
    Atomic Records in Milwaukee was awesome. Recently The Exclusive Company closed all their locaitons as well. The original owner/patriarch died and the kids closed or sold all the locations off before he was in the ground it seemed.  They were smart enough to do a run of t-shirts at the bitter end for all us nostalgic types. 
    What does your t-shirt look like?

I would want to do a different version.  

I'm like a tab
    GlowGirl said:
    Let's hear them.

Awesome. I really miss that store. I spent a lot of time there in the 90s.

• Wind Records in Oak Lawn, IL. I remember grabbing all of the records Ten-Yield, to buy my brother for Christmas, but I put them back. They were about $15 each. I also bought Hallucinagenic Recipe there the day after PJ played Soldier Field. Memories
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,273
    edited July 2023
    Crow’s Nest in Crest Hill, IL. They had an import cd section and I would always find the latest PJ imports (bootlegs) and look for new songs. Such a great store. My last visit was in 2004 to buy Local H - Whatever Happened To PJ Soles?

Post edited by Jimmydean55 on
    Good times!

Music World wasn't that bad too. Bought ALOT of CD's from them. They were so falling apart ever since 50% of their walls were displaying Funko toys. It was horrible. They need to get rid of Funko toys at all record & video game stores. 
    Another one was Urban Sound Exchange. They were pretty good. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    Bleeker Bobs.
    Slipped Disc.
    Bleeker Bobs.
    Slipped Disc.
    Bleecker Bob's was awesome!!

Other Music in NYC. There was even a documentary made about this store.
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    Al Bums Record Shoppe in Acworth, GA.

"I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    demetrios said:
    Me too. Big Time. I remember making a road trip to Toronto back in the early 90's when someone told me it had the highest concentration of record stores in North America. Sam The Record Man was my favorite and the one I remember most. The gigantic neon turntables were a sight to behold.
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    Music Emporium in Fenwick Island, Delaware. 
    Its basically Ocean City, Maryland
    I worked there in 97' when i was 20 and stayed on the team for 5 years. 
    Got lots of pj promos. 
    Advanced copy of Single Video Theory on VHS. 
    Got the entire 2000 bootleg set, chunk by chunk. 
    Doubles (at least) of every pj Vinyl ever pressed thru Avocado. 
    No Code and Vitalogy hanging mobiles.  
    One of the best jobs/boss/coworkers/managers ive ever had. 
    The owner Jon had a metal rack of used vinyl that continuously rotated stock. 
    Hed give me 30 records at a time for 5$... or free if he was being 'generous'. 
    He was a great guy. 
    RIP to Jon Dux. 
    And RIP to 'progress.'
    Its a real estate office now 🙁
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    It was more of a CD store in it's time, but here in BC (Canada) there used to be a chain of stores called A&B Sound. They were absolutely the best place to buy cd's back in the day.  Amazing selection and solid prices.   They had blowout boxing day sales :)

When I switch from CD's to Records (and this was after A&B Sound went bankrupt) I switched to Ditch Records, and they're still kicking.  They've moved a few times, but they're the best record store in town.   Pretty luck to have them.  No other store in town comes close.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,467
    There was an amazing indie store in Swansea (South Wales) from the 80s to 00s called Musiquarium. It was in the marketplace and you could only fit about 8-10 people inside! There was always a crowd outside waiting for their turn to get in.

We had a couple of big chain music stores as well, but Musiquarium was the hidden secret, and they always managed to get their hands on cool imports from the SST and Sub Pop catalogues. We were about 15/16 when we started hanging out there and I remember it was the first time I ever heard Green River, Sonic Youth, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Dinosaur Jr. I spent so much money there over the years!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    StreetSide Records on the corner of Broadway & Providence here in Tiger Town. Such a vibe. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    alphawolf said:
    Music Emporium in Fenwick Island, Delaware. 
    Its basically Ocean City, Maryland
    I worked there in 97' when i was 20 and stayed on the team for 5 years. 
    Got lots of pj promos. 
    Advanced copy of Single Video Theory on VHS. 
    Got the entire 2000 bootleg set, chunk by chunk. 
    Doubles (at least) of every pj Vinyl ever pressed thru Avocado. 
    No Code and Vitalogy hanging mobiles.  
    One of the best jobs/boss/coworkers/managers ive ever had. 
    The owner Jon had a metal rack of used vinyl that continuously rotated stock. 
    Hed give me 30 records at a time for 5$... or free if he was being 'generous'. 
    He was a great guy. 
    RIP to Jon Dux. 
    And RIP to 'progress.'
    Its a real estate office now 🙁
    I’m sure you have great memories from working there. I worked at a record store the summer after I graduated high school before I left for college. That little minimum wage job was the one of the best jobs I ever had. So much fun. 
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Selectadisc in Nottingham U.K. - was a great store 
  • PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
    Rock Records - Downtown Chicago
    G-Bs Books and Records - Decatur IL
    Crows Nest - Someone already mentioned this one above
    Val's halla Records - Oak Park
    Dave's Records - Chicago
    Jazz Record Mart - Chicago 
    Permanent Records - Chicago

• jazzbo26jazzbo26 Posts: 682
    edited August 2023

A California chain that got bought up by Blockbuster. Worked here from 90-92 while in high school. One of the funnest jobs I’ve ever had. One night while cleaning up after closing somebody threw on this promo disc we got from Epic called Ten. WTF is a Pearl Jam? We blasted it 3 times over until 2am. The rest as they say…
    Post edited by jazzbo26 on
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the store I grew up with except for Kemp Mill Music which at its peak had 30+ stores in the DC metro area. The last one closed a few years ago.
    The owner was coocoo crazy. 

I also grew up going to NYC frequently and shopping at Bleeker Bobs and Sounds. 
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,273
    edited August 2023
    If you make any shirts for Crow’s Nest, me and my buddy would be interested. 
    Post edited by Jimmydean55 on
    edited August 2023
    Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the store I grew up with except for Kemp Mill Music which at its peak had 30+ stores in the DC metro area. The last one closed a few years ago.

@Bentleyspop I remember them. Did you ever go to Penguin Feathers on The Rockville Pike, or Peaches. I remember going to those two when I was in High School. Penguin Feathers also sold weed paraphernalia if remember correctly. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    I no longer live there, but I used to love Dingleberry's in Dayton, Ohio. Bought many Pearl Jam "imports" there.    Where I currently live (Murfreesboro, TN), I miss Digital Planet. 
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,664
    GlowGirl said:

@Bentleyspop I remember them. Did you ever go to Penguin Feathers on The Rockville Pike, or Peaches. I remember going to those two when I was in High School. Penguin Feathers also sold weed paraphernalia if remember correctly. 
    I do remember those. 
    The one I grew up with was in downtown Bethesda called Record City or something like that.
    And of course I used to go to Yesterday and Today in Silver Spring and then Rockville.

Of course we had Tower Records in DC and Rockville which is technically where I saw PJ for the first time.