Getting to the rail in GA.

Comments

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,900
    The doors to GA open the same time as everyone else yes?
    Wasn’t it 5:30pm for GA followed by all doors 30 minutes later in 2022?
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,490
    It's normally half hour before as far as I can remember 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    mcgruff10 said:
    I have a list that I started.  I'm first, the GOAT is 2nd, don't mess w the GOAT BTW, and @mcgruff10 you're 3rd? and @circlesdown can have 4th and 5th.

Cool?!?
    I m in!! Let s go!
    I've been wanting to get the list going again.  Right on.  The GOAT is rabbid ready too, that lil bastid.
  • jefftjefft Posts: 657
    100 Pacer said:
    The doors to GA open the same time as everyone else yes?
    Wasn’t it 5:30pm for GA followed by all doors 30 minutes later in 2022?
    Yes GA was 530 last year.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    We waited all day at the VIC from about 6 a.m.ish, but there were some people who camped out two days early.  I could see just fine between their heads in the second row, and that was even after again sitting in line for a poster and t-shirt.  Now that was a long time ago, so I have no idea as I am out of the GA phase in my life.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,081
    edited May 2023
    There are people that walk up an hour before and get up front.  This I know for a fact.  (At least on some cities.  Maybe not rail but first few rows)
    (No, it was never me.  I've not been closer than 25 rows back and that was a guess at the front pen on Missoula.  We walked in right around the supposed start time.  Left and went back for pee and back one time, people let me back to my group.)

I don't think I could ever sit in line for a day vs go and hang out with friends in the city.  The people who sit those things out deserve the front!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JC29866JC29866 Posts: 85
    If you have a small bladder like me, rail is not your best choice. Better to hang back in the crowd to make a “quick escape” if you need to “go”.   
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,973
    It 'depends'
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    At least 24 hours. Though I've seen folks who line up the GA line minutes before entering the area scoring rail. It happens, all the time. 
  • renelesurrenelesur Dallas, TX Posts: 84
    For OKC last year I was on the first flight out the morning after the STL show.  I got an Uber from the airport to the arena and was 5th in line behind some folks who elected not to do STL and got there the night before.  The tricky part about getting there that early is figuring out where the venue would like the group to line up.  
    The OKC arena ended up giving out wristbands the following morning which allowed individuals to head to the hotel or grab some merch.  We also had to move off property for the night because they did not allow camping out.  It was my first rail experience and my first camping out experience for a show.  It was fun.  If I end up getting a GA ticket for night 2 in FW, I'd consider doing it again.

11/15/2013 - Dallas, TX; 11/16/2013 - Oklahoma City, OK;

8/10/2018 - Safeco Field, Seattle, WA; 8/18 & 20/2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL; 9/2 & 4/2018 - Fenway Park, Boston, MA

7/8 & 9/2022 - Hyde Park, London, EN,   UPCOMING: Nashville, St. Louis, OKC

• MarieowMarieow Posts: 75
    I just upgraded to GA for St. Paul N2. I have GA for both nights in St. Paul now. I'm hoping to get to the rail for one of them. I've managed to get close plenty of times, but I'm really hoping I can have this experience at least once. The remaining 7 shows I have seats, although I'm hoping to find GA tickets in Austin to hang out with my friends who have GA. 
    Which nights do you have GA for?
    San Jose, California (October 30, 1993), San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995), San Jose, California (November 04, 1995), Mountain View, California (October 30, 1999), Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000), Mountain View, California (October 20, 2001), Mountain View, California (October 21, 2001), Mountain View, California (June 01, 2003),San Diego, California (June 05, 2003), Mountain View, California (October 25, 2003), Mountain View, California (October 26, 2003), Kissimmee, Florida (October 08, 2004), San Francisco, California (July 15, 2006), San Francisco, California (July 16, 2006), San Francisco, California (July 18, 2006),  Mountain View, California (October 21, 2006), Mountain View, California (October 22, 2006), San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009), Mountain View, California (October 23, 2010), Mountain View, California (October 24, 2010), Vancouver, British Columbia (September 25, 2011), Oakland, CA (November 26, 2013), Mountain View, CA (October 25, 2014), Mountain View, CA (October 26, 2014), Chicago Night 1 (August 18, 2018), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Ohana Festival (September 25, 2021), Ohana Festival (September 26, 2021), Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021), Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021), Los Angeles (May 07, 2022), Oakland (May 12, 2022), Oakland (May 13, 2022), Fresno (May 16, 2022), St Paul (August 31, 2023), St Paul (September 02, 2023), Chicago (September 05, 2023), Chicago (September 07, 2023), Ft Worth (September 13, 2023), Ft Worth (September 15, 2023), Austin (September 19, 2023), Austin (September 18, 2023)
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,335
    For last year's shows, I walked in at about 6:15 p.m. (opener was on at 7:30 p.m.) and was in front of Ed about fifteen feet from the front of the stage (i.e., with four people between me and the stage). I did not line up early.

There was a lot of room in the pit at last year's shows. It didn't feel crowded even that close to the stage. It was a pleasant experience aside from a couple of times when guys tried to rush the stage and were turned back. At one of the L.A. shows, a guy who weighed at least 200 pounds tried to crash past me on my left, and I managed to stop him and hold him with only my left arm, shove him behind me to my right, where the guy next to me who was about 6' 6" and jacked proceeded to shove the guy about 20 feet back and to the right. He stayed back there. Good times.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited June 2023
    I will say that, while there are plenty of great people in GA lines, I have also witnessed the very WORST of fandom in them as well. I couldn't stay in a GA line longer than an hour even if I wanted to, because there is a select group of highly vocal, bossy, entitled and aggressive people who appoint themselves the Masters of PJ GA and they make it completely unbearable for me, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I will say that, while there are plenty of great people in GA lines, I have also witnessed the very WORST of fandom in them as well. I couldn't stay in a GA line longer than an hour even if I wanted to, because there is a select group of highly vocal, bossy, entitled and aggressive people who appoint themselves the Masters of PJ GA and they make it completely unbearable for me, lol.
    I agree. In Vienna I had very close to a fight with the self designated boss of the queue. I was happy to queue all night but this guy went and slept in his car and came back to run a list from the front. The fucking idiot then got caught going into the venue and lurking around the stage. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    One time I left Show 1, stumbled on the GA line for Show 2 the following night, and sat down at about #15 in line.  I got the rail.  

Im glad I did it the one time.  Was a great lifetime experience.  I don't think I would do it again.  Im too old and it was a lot of stress/energy, and by the time the show rolled around, while I enjoyed it immensely, I was pretty exhausted.  Also needed to guard my space a bit.

I dont know how (or why) people can do it for show after show. 
    Yeah. But surely worth it when a pile of picks land on your head and litter the floor around you. Ahhh memories..looonnng gone dayyyyys
    Well worth it . I've done it many times and now I look back I can't feel the pain only the elation. And the picks
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    I only got rail for PJ once - last year at Camden. It was an amazing experience. I got there at 6:15am, and was 14th in line. I actually had fun in the line all day. People were really nice. We got Uber Eats delivered, and I met a lot of cool people. I also got an Ed pick at the show. I would totally do this again. I have been in 2nd row of GA, and 3rd row - those were great as well. But the rail is really something special.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    BF25394 said:
    For last year's shows, I walked in at about 6:15 p.m. (opener was on at 7:30 p.m.) and was in front of Ed about fifteen feet from the front of the stage (i.e., with four people between me and the stage). I did not line up early.

There was a lot of room in the pit at last year's shows. It didn't feel crowded even that close to the stage. It was a pleasant experience aside from a couple of times when guys tried to rush the stage and were turned back. At one of the L.A. shows, a guy who weighed at least 200 pounds tried to crash past me on my left, and I managed to stop him and hold him with only my left arm, shove him behind me to my right, where the guy next to me who was about 6' 6" and jacked proceeded to shove the guy about 20 feet back and to the right. He stayed back there. Good times.
    We did the same thing at the Oakland shows.  Showed up around 6:30 after the doors had already opened for GA.  We were able to park ourselves a few rows back at centre stage.  Felt like maybe 7 or 8 rows, but once people stood up and compressed, I think maybe 4 rows of people in front of me, which for a seated show would be something like row 2.   Really good location for not much effort.  I would love rail but I don't think I have it in me to wait in line for a day or two.. lol.

I also notice that the amount of people behind us didn't' really start to grow until 7:30 or 8, so technically our location probably wouldn't of been too different had we shown up 30 to 60 minutes later.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,175
    Youngin’s can have the rail! These days I prefer the bar rail 😉
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    I don't get the whole infatuation with the rail.
    I was on the rail for multiple shows in the 90s and early 2000s.
    Its kinda gross
    You got all kind of people pushing up against your back. With their variety of bodily fluids getting you.

You got EddieJeff, Mike, Stone sweating on you
    Eddie spilling wine on you
    Mike throwing pics in your face
    Eddie throwing tambourines at your head.
    It's gross  eww
    Give me gross
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Soundgarden broke me on the rail, we almost got crushed to death at Lolla in 96, it was damn scary, everyone kept pushing up and packing it in tighter and tighter, I had to jump over the rail and go to the back of the lawn or die as I couldn't breathe, literally.  Never felt a need to be on the rail after that, though I have been.  People were screaming to the  folks behind us to stop pushing. The rail at a PJ show is much more enjoyable most of the time
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is definitely why I feel a little nervous about waiting in line, the entitled people who are oddly competitive, cold, and weird about this kind of shit. I usually go to metal shows, so I'm used to the pushing and pulling, but it's all in good fun, and people are rarely territorial about where they are standing in GA. It's a whole different thing with some PJ fans.  It's fine, I'll play along. I just want to have a rail moment. I've been 2 or 3 people deep, and of course that's fun. I'm excited to meet new people. 
    San Jose, California (October 30, 1993), San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995), San Jose, California (November 04, 1995), Mountain View, California (October 30, 1999), Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000), Mountain View, California (October 20, 2001), Mountain View, California (October 21, 2001), Mountain View, California (June 01, 2003),San Diego, California (June 05, 2003), Mountain View, California (October 25, 2003), Mountain View, California (October 26, 2003), Kissimmee, Florida (October 08, 2004), San Francisco, California (July 15, 2006), San Francisco, California (July 16, 2006), San Francisco, California (July 18, 2006),  Mountain View, California (October 21, 2006), Mountain View, California (October 22, 2006), San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009), Mountain View, California (October 23, 2010), Mountain View, California (October 24, 2010), Vancouver, British Columbia (September 25, 2011), Oakland, CA (November 26, 2013), Mountain View, CA (October 25, 2014), Mountain View, CA (October 26, 2014), Chicago Night 1 (August 18, 2018), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Ohana Festival (September 25, 2021), Ohana Festival (September 26, 2021), Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 01, 2021), Ohana Festival Encore Weekend (October 02, 2021), Los Angeles (May 07, 2022), Oakland (May 12, 2022), Oakland (May 13, 2022), Fresno (May 16, 2022), St Paul (August 31, 2023), St Paul (September 02, 2023), Chicago (September 05, 2023), Chicago (September 07, 2023), Ft Worth (September 13, 2023), Ft Worth (September 15, 2023), Austin (September 19, 2023), Austin (September 18, 2023)
    Good attitude.  you'll have a blast. Sure you know Ev will yell at you if you start slam dancing :) 
  • Brannigans lawBrannigans law Posts: 130
    edited June 2023
    I love GA, but would never spend the time needed to get rail. I like the back of the pit, plenty of space to dance and move if I can't see. Need a beer or bathroom break? My space is still there when I get back. 
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,808
    JD87070 said:
    Indy will be my first pit experience for PJ, and no plans to camp/sit in line all day. But i loved the way DMB did pit last year. Albeit, this was just for the handful of Warehouse members who got pit tickets, there were around 60 of us for the drawing at Pine Knob, so a much smaller scale than most PJ pits. But they just told you to go to a gate anytime before 4pm to get a bracelet with a number on it, at 4:15 they draw a number based on the bracelets handed out, and that person is first in line and the line goes on from that based on bracelet number. And when they took us inside they kept us in line until we got to the pit entrance. Worked out great! Kept everyone from wasting the day standing in line and even sprinting once you get inside the venue to get down there first. We were around 20 back from the front of the line and ended up on the rail in front of Buddy the keyboard player-most people went straight to the middle of course so we saw to the left wasn’t crowded at all and headed there and worked out great, Dave even took one of the selfies with my phone after the show! But since the entire pit for PJ is Ten Club members (especially the large arena pits) and they don’t do early entry, probably not a good way to do anything similar with these shows.

That's a damn good system. Wishlist could probably raise a lot more if this was in place.

On a similar note, I read about Paramore's system. They hand out numbered wristbands starting at a designated time. You then show up again starting at a second time, get in line according to your number, and then go in.

It seems like this sort of defeats the purpose. Wouldn't people just show up insanely early to get wristband #0001?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    PJ_Soul said:

I have words for tosspots like them.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    edited June 2023
    Marieow said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is definitely why I feel a little nervous about waiting in line, the entitled people who are oddly competitive, cold, and weird about this kind of shit. I usually go to metal shows, so I'm used to the pushing and pulling, but it's all in good fun, and people are rarely territorial about where they are standing in GA. It's a whole different thing with some PJ fans.  It's fine, I'll play along. I just want to have a rail moment. I've been 2 or 3 people deep, and of course that's fun. I'm excited to meet new people. 

Honestly, I think the 3-4 days thing is somewhat overblown and partially due to the one guy in Chicago who made it into the Let's Play Two movie.

It definitely depends on city. If it's night 2, there will absolutely be people who skip out on the last song of night 1 just to go back to the line.

If it's a random one-off show in Cleveland or Cincinnati on a Tuesday night, will there be people in line on Saturday? Probably not. Will there be a line at 9am on show day? Absolutely. If you get in line in those cities at 8am on show day, you probably won't get rail front and center, but maybe off to the side or 2-3 back in the middle.

Indy may not have an overnight line due to the Smashing Pumpkins there the night before.

For the vast majority of shows, if you're there by 5-6am, you'll almost certainly get rail right in the middle. As long as your breaks are quick and rare, you'll be fine. Visit the bathroom at a nearby fast food place, get your food "to go" and eat it back in line. You can also utilize services like DoorDash or UberEATS to further minimize time spent out of line.

...and when the doors open, walk in an orderly fashion.
    Post edited by Lost In Ohio on

Honestly, I think the 3-4 days thing is somewhat overblown and partially due to the one guy in Chicago who made it into the Let's Play Two movie.

It definitely depends on city. If it's night 2, there will absolutely be people who skip out on the last song of night 1 just to go back to the line.

If it's a random one-off show in Cleveland or Cincinnati on a Tuesday night, will there be people in line on Saturday? Probably not. Will there be a line at 9am on show day? Absolutely. If you get in line in those cities at 8am on show day, you probably won't get rail front and center, but maybe off to the side or 2-3 back in the middle.

Indy may not have an overnight line due to the Smashing Pumpkins there the night before.

For the vast majority of shows, if you're there by 5-6am, you'll almost certainly get rail right in the middle. As long as your breaks are quick and rare, you'll be fine. Visit the bathroom at a nearby fast food place, get your food "to go" and eat it back in line. You can also utilize services like DoorDash or UberEATS to further minimize time spent out of line.

...and when the doors open, walk in an orderly fashion.
    Thanks for the info! I have GA for both St. Paul nights. First night, I'm taking a red eye from San Francisco just to get there as early as I can. I'd get in the day before, but I'm doing some volunteer work. My flight lands at 5:30 am. Las Vegas for Eddie was the first time I waited all day. I ended up on the middle left side which was awesome, and I made so many new friends who I will see on this tour, one of whom will be with me in line. I got a steel bladder and a high tolerance for pain. haha 
    I have seats for chicago, indy, ft w and austin.