“Lightning Bolt”…the song

mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
I love this song.  I initially didn’t think I would at all, but damn it hooks you.  My opinion is one of the best Pearl Jam songs post 2000’s.  Such a good live one, too.  What’s your take?

Comments

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,551
    Awesome music. Awful lyrics.
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
    Agree with it is the music that drives this song.  There are bits and pieces of the lyrics I do like though.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,806
    My son was 5 when it came out. This was a song he liked a lot! Not my favorite album, but I do like the song on the album.

Hearing it live, I really enjoy it actually. Remember hearing Brooklyn N2 and in the pit at Jacksonville’16. It’s a nice early song to keep the momentum going.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,495
    I really do not like it.  The lyrics make little sense to me. Just my opinion i saw that tour and I didn't like it live either. So it's. No thank you from me.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,278
    Personally I really like it. One of those songs that has grown on me. Feel it is better live than recorded
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    Funny how during the 13 tour,everyone hated Pendulum because that's what they opened with. Now that,and Yellow Moon are my favorites on LB.
    joseph33 said:
    Funny how during the 13 tour,everyone hated Pendulum because that's what they opened with. Now that,and Yellow Moon are my favorites on LB.
    I loved pendulum from the start. First listen. Love it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    joseph33 said:
    I'm not gonna lie,it had to grow on me.But now I love it 
    edited May 2023
    I have the lyrics to pendulum tattooed on my torso. They mean a lot
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Love this song.   It’s killer live.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rival9500rival9500 Posts: 570
    Definitely grew on me live.  Shocked they canned it on the 22 tour after only that first San Diego show.
    1998: Pitt
    2000: Pitt
    2003: Pitt, State College, Columbus,DC, Hershey
    2004: Reading, Toledo, DC
    2005: Pitt
    2006: Cleve, Camden 1+2, DC, Pitt, Cinci
    2008: Camden 1+2, DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Columbus
    2012: Philly
    2013: Pitt, NYC 1+2
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,467
    I loved hearing this live in Chicago. Haven't listened to it in awhile though
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,086
    As one of the folks here that really loves LB as an album (up to swallowed whole / first 7 songs, I've played over and over and over) I love this tune.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,619
    It’s a great tune, especially live. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,551
    mvw said:
    Agree with it is the music that drives this song.  There are bits and pieces of the lyrics I do like though.

I do like that it's a throwback to Nothingman (Caught a bolt of lightning...).
  • MathiusMathius Posts: 49
    I was listening to the Lexington show (2016) just this afternoon on a drive to the store. The show opener was Lightning Bolt and I'll never forget the light show that accompanied it. The house lights stayed on until the first chorus, then the lights went out and laser beams started firing out from the stage. It's a great live song, but I never listen to the studio version.
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/17/1998
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/18/2000
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 06/22/2003
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 05/07/2010
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Cheesy lyrics, great music, could have really been something if it didn't fade out. I wish the band knew there's nothing wrong with ripping an awesome guitar solo on a studio track.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    Isn’t this like a Nothingman Part 2? Lot of similarities with lyrics, I remember reading a post in 2013 about it 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • I love this song.
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,242
    Perfect analysis. Lyrics kill the song for me. Coulda been a classic with better lyrics.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    "All her problems, they won't die with you."

I knew a woman like that once. This line hits way too close to home.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • KCjamKCjam Posts: 135
    Mathius said:
    I was listening to the Lexington show (2016) just this afternoon on a drive to the store. The show opener was Lightning Bolt and I'll never forget the light show that accompanied it. The house lights stayed on until the first chorus, then the lights went out and laser beams started firing out from the stage. It's a great live song, but I never listen to the studio version.
    I was there.  That was so unique how they started it with the house lights on.  Pretty awesome when they dropped the lights.  My favorite song on the Lightning Bolt album is Lightning Bolt.  

Also love the lyrics.  I think it is just a long metaphor for an unhealthy and toxic relationship.  The man dies and the Partner's problems still exists.  They don't die with him!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    Lightning Bolt didn't sound original to me.  One of those songs that goes where you expect it to go.   There are a few songs in their recent catalog that give me this feeling (but a lot that don't).  It is a fun song to play on guitar though. 
  • UtahBoltUtahBolt Posts: 188
    edited May 2023
    When it first came out it was suggested Ed wrote it about his daughters and my daughter was 10 when the album came out and she just gravitated to that song.  (I think now it has been said it is about writing a song and the song writing process).  Either way, it has always had a special meaning to my daughter and I because of that initial reaction to it. 

Whenever I am at a show (most recently SD in '22) and they play it, I immediately dial my daughter and let her listen in live.  Song will always be special to me/us.
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,246
    It is a fun song live. For me this was their weakest album though. 
    Love:  Pendulum
    Like: MYM, LB, Getaway
    Just OK: Yellow Moon, Infallible, My Fathers Son
    No thanks: Future Days, Sirens, Swallowed Whole, Sleeping by Myself, Let the Records Play
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,097
    joseph33 said:
    Same here, great opener..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • MathiusMathius Posts: 49
    KCjam said:
    Mathius said:
    I was there.  That was so unique how they started it with the house lights on.  Pretty awesome when they dropped the lights.  My favorite song on the Lightning Bolt album is Lightning Bolt.  

Also love the lyrics.  I think it is just a long metaphor for an unhealthy and toxic relationship.  The man dies and the Partner's problems still exists.  They don't die with him!
    I was there too. Kinda left that part out. Oops.

Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/17/1998
    Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN 08/18/2000
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 06/22/2003
    Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN 05/07/2010
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    One of my favorites! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    It is a fun song live. For me this was their weakest album though. 
    Love:  Pendulum
    Like: MYM, LB, Getaway
    Just OK: Yellow Moon, Infallible, My Fathers Son
    No thanks: Future Days, Sirens, Swallowed Whole, Sleeping by Myself, Let the Records Play
    This is exactly how I feel as well.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,430
    I seem to not care much for the first songs released on the last few albums

Riot Act: I am Mine...don't care for it
    S/T: World Wide Suicide...I could do without it
    Backspacer: Fixer/Got Some....don't care for either
    LB: LB....just yuck
    Gigaton: DOTC...I don't dislike this one as much for some reason. I like Superblood

But while I don't seem to care for the first songs released I think there are gems on those albums. Not so much on Backspacer...that album escapes me a bit.

Off of LB: Yellow Moon is probably my favorite. I like Swallowed Whole as well even though a lot dislike it.

Giga: Alright didn't get enough love in my opinion. And Retrograde was a sleeper for me

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana