Atlanta 2024

Comments

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Since it was brought up (and in the interest of keeping this thread moving), here's my favorite Pearl Jam Atlanta memories:

• Even though I wasn't there, the Fox radio show in 94 is up there. A friend of mine was dating somebody who was going to school in Atlanta at the time. They recorded the whole show onto a VHS so no breaks in the whole show and even had the post-show as well. I listened to that tape nonstop for years until it finally crapped out. I can almost tell you where the station ID was for 99X during the broadcast.
    • Hearing the piano intro to Chloe for 2003. At that point being that it was only my third ever live PJ show, I never in a million years expected to get CoT live so I was positively floored by its inclusion on that set.
    • Hearing Release open Atlanta 2000. That whole show was a blast even though I had incredibly shitty seats. Also, the night I got to introduce my little brother to live Pearl Jam.
    • Not necessarily an "Atlanta" story but somewhat one. I had just moved to the Atlanta area from middle Georgia when Vitalogy came out. I bought the vinyl at a music store in Winder. I went home, recorded it on my stereo and wore that tape out for the two weeks until the CD released.
    • Seeing PJ for the first time in 98 followed by the Beastie Boys the next night at Lakewood. Two amazing nights of music.
    • Riding the rail for PJ at Music Midtown 2012. First time I was ever that close. Got a few picks from that show and, while it was a festival set, I finally got to cross off Jeremy from my list after seeing them eight previous times.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    Pizza - Antico
  • dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,187
    Superica for Tex-Mex.  Best margaritas, and fried pork belly (carnitas), everything is great
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,035
    edited April 2023
    What are the best places here for:

-Sub sandwich: Sub of Subs in Duluth. Tiny place. Great wings and sandwiches. My favorite is the bulgogi cheesesteak.

Burgers: Vortex is great, only 21 and up if you have kids though.  Other options are Farm Burger, Local 7 in Tucker, Ted’s Montana Ranch is actually not bad (get the bison burger). Go to the Collegiate in Gainesville. Old school 50s style burger joint. It’s about that old too.

Steak: hmm, not sure I’m the best to ask. Stony River on Medlock Bridge used to be great, Morton’s or Ruth Chris is always an option, otherwise Chops or Bones in Buckhead used to be good, just haven’t been in a long time. Also, Fogo de Chao (Brazilian style steakhouse, all you can eat, killer salad bar, not cheap!).

Pizza: Antico is a solid choice. Also, hit Gio’s Chicken right next door. You can bring the pizza over as well.
    O4W in Duluth has killer Detroit style pizzas as well as a thin crust Grandma pie. Really good!
    Family favorite is Shorty’s in Tucker. Wood fired pizzas, crazy combinations named for musicians. We absolutely love it.

Bbq: Fox Bros is legit good.
    Das has great brisket.
    for ribs, I love Fat Matt’s, plus you get a free blues concert on weekends.
    Community BBQ in Decatur is good, great hot links, ribs, and Mac n cheese.
    Also, Old Brick Pit BBq is old fashioned but really good.
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Italian: Paulino in Oakhurst 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Part two!

Not sure you asked, but Mexican:
    Definetly Superica mentioned above.
    Also, Nuevo Laredo, gets real busy, in West Atlanta. You have to go look for it.

Oaxaca Tequila and Tacos in Duluth. Authentic.

Los Hermanos is a great family owned place with about 5 locations. Local favorite of mine.

La Fondas downtown, good quesadillas and paella.

Taqueria del Sol: not authentic, but great! Simple menu, my family loves it.

Italian is out there but I’m not sure I am the best to recommend. Some of the pizza places I mentioned have Italian dishes.

Southern! Not on your list but it’s Georgia!

Mary Mac’s downtown, an institution.

The Collannaide, on Cheshire Bridge road. Great place.

In Tucker, Matthew’s Kitchen and The Magnolia Tea Room are fantastic Meat and Two or Meat and Three options.

An hour south of Atlanta on 75, Buckner’s truck stop. All you can eat family style and fried chicken cut with the pulley bone (giant piece of white meat, only bone is the tiny wish bone to “pull” on for a wish).
    Great recs! ^ 

need to get to a few of these still
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Awesome, thanks to all!

The only place listed I’ve been to so far is O4W and I had the Grandmas Pie.  Great stuff, looking forward to trying all the rest!
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    @Porchsitter, great memories! I too was thrilled to hear Crown of Thorns at Lakewood!
  • Mary Mac's is good, but check out the Busy Bee just down the road from Mercedes Benz. Great stuff.

I agree with Fat Matt's and Community Cue. Solid places for BBQ. Also Cue BBQ has a few spots in the burbs.

For Mexican, check out El Indio. A few spots around Gwinnett. Good authentic stuff.

Might need to re-think lunch.
    edited April 2023
    Busy Bee is on my list! Good rec. Need to try that one.

Coworker likes El Indio as well. Will check that out.
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
    mary macs ship has sailed about 15 to 20 years ago. its a tourist trap with food meant for a 70 year old. avoid
    I was just thinking I haven’t been able to sleep in my own bed after any PJ show I have ever attended funny enough. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    That’s happened for me a lot except ‘00, ‘03, ‘12 Atlanta. Also ‘98 Greenville since I lived there a bit.
  • KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    What a shit show in the lottery.

I'll be heading back to Chicago for night 1.......works out great for me, can visit friends/family for Labor Day Weekend and free stay with family.  

Anyone else from Atlanta travelling to shows.........I think I saw a few of you got tix in the other threads?
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Kevinman said:

I'll be heading back to Chicago for night 1.......works out great for me, can visit friends/family for Labor Day Weekend and free stay with family.  

Anyone else from Atlanta travelling to shows.........I think I saw a few of you got tix in the other threads?
    Yep.  I'm doing both St. Paul shows.  Booked flights last night. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    I will be at all 4 Texas shows. Flights are dirt cheap and I suspect I can get them even lower. Holding out for now, but hotels have been booked. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,187
    Going to the Austin shows; buddy and I currently have 4 crappy pairs we hope to be able to unload F2F :)
  • GruntruckGruntruck Phoenix, AZ Posts: 17
    Would LOVE another ATL gig - come on boys ! 
    edited April 2023
    Heading to Fort Worth, N2! Would love to do more but it’s tough with my 3 personal days. Saving the other two days for spring in case I need them.

Luckily, no issues with the lottery for me. 😅 
    Okay, more campaigning for a gig in Atlanta, ‘24!

So, Music Midtown was the first time I bought a poster (what was I thinking? Did not buy one at the Live at the Garden show I attended in ‘03. 🙄).

Come on guys! Come play and dare Munk One to top this beauty! Still one of my favorites I have hanging!

Let’s go!

• matt3846matt3846 Atlanta Posts: 153
    Ah… Atlanta shows… those were the days!

Some pics I took at the Atlanta show in 2000…

Awesome pics!
    Very cool
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Bad ass
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Awesome pictures!  Wasn't at the show but Atlanta 2000 was my very first bootleg purchase. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    He had a better view than me! I was upper level opposite the stage. Loved that show though! I went hard at the bootlegs when those went on sale.
    edited April 2023
    He had a better view than me! I was upper level opposite the stage. Loved that show though! I went hard at the bootlegs when those went on sale.
    That's crazy. Exactly where I sat for that show. 

Great pics, @matt3846!
    Post edited by Porchsitter on
  • gtwake360gtwake360 Posts: 16
    Kevinman said:

Native ATLien here. Born and raised in Marietta. Live in Peachtree Corners now.

I got both Austin shows and both Chicago shows somehow. Not sure "the boss" will let me go to all of them! I can't believe I got drawn for every show I put in for. Going to buy a PowerBall ticket right meow.

Re: Atlanta shows. Maybe this is weird and probably way off base. But I've always kind of wondered if they skipped ATL because it isn't "progressive" enough. Greenville and Nashville are, but always wondered if Atlanta came off as too "red." Just a stupid conspiracy theory, I know.
    gtwake360 said:

Re: Atlanta shows. Maybe this is weird and probably way off base. But I've always kind of wondered if they skipped ATL because it isn't "progressive" enough. Greenville and Nashville are, but always wondered if Atlanta came off as too "red." Just a stupid conspiracy theory, I know.
    I've heard this before, but I have a hard time believing it. Atlanta is no different than most blue islands in red states and, considering the results of 2020 and 2022, they still seem to be avoiding the city.