psst...2/24/2023

12346»

Comments

• I’m gonna go ahead and say what too many won’t: 180g vinyl sucks for the sole reason of having to flip/change the damn record too often.
    You wanna know why people won’t say that? Because what you wrote doesn’t make any sense. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    JV130312 said:
    Meh...if they re-released the Benny, the whole "mystique" about it would be dead.  It wouldn't be nearly as cool to have or as good an album as people want it to be.
    It’s their best live album. It being hars to get on vinyl has nothing to do with that. 
    Its not their best live album by far in my opinion. its unique in that its an acoustic set, but not the best.
    The limited edition, who even knows how many of the 2000 remain, does play a lot into it and make it a white whale for anyone who isn't willing to pay 2 grand for a record, or even $500 ten years ago. But this would probably be among their best selling vaults if it was rereleased, the rarity isn't the only reason it is in demand.
  • Zod said:
    I’m gonna go ahead and say what too many won’t: 180g vinyl sucks for the sole reason of having to flip/change the damn record too often.
    Unless a release is 44 min or under (or a comedy/spoken word recording), you’re getting 1-3 songs per side if lucky.

They should have done this one like a Sevens Box Set, at this price. Not everything has to increase because of inflation, but almost no one is going to pass up charging more money when the public already anticipates it and expects to pay more.

180g has nothing to do with how many songs fit on the side of record, all it is, is the thickness of the record.  It's 45rpm vs 33rpm that determines how many songs are on the side of a records.  45rpm (where its 2 or 3 songs per side) is pretty rate except for the odd audiophile release.
    It absolutely does have something to do with the thickness. The grooves are cut differently with 180g
    edited February 2023
    Zod said:
    I’m gonna go ahead and say what too many won’t: 180g vinyl sucks for the sole reason of having to flip/change the damn record too often.
    Unless a release is 44 min or under (or a comedy/spoken word recording), you’re getting 1-3 songs per side if lucky.

They should have done this one like a Sevens Box Set, at this price. Not everything has to increase because of inflation, but almost no one is going to pass up charging more money when the public already anticipates it and expects to pay more.

180g has nothing to do with how many songs fit on the side of record, all it is, is the thickness of the record.  It's 45rpm vs 33rpm that determines how many songs are on the side of a records.  45rpm (where its 2 or 3 songs per side) is pretty rate except for the odd audiophile release.
    It absolutely does have something to do with the thickness. The grooves are cut differently with 180g
    I've heard they can cut the grooves deeper and improve sound (don't know if that is true) but never heard they fit fewer songs because the record is thicker. 
    I have several modern 180g albums that are just 1 record. Don't think I have any 180g that are a double record when the original was not.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • I’m gonna go ahead and say what too many won’t: 180g vinyl sucks for the sole reason of having to flip/change the damn record too often.
    You wanna know why people won’t say that? Because what you wrote doesn’t make any sense. 
    Aaah another wonderful Pearl Jam fan I see, responding on a whim. 

If nothing else, the marketing behind many 180g records pressed on two discs where originally one was done makes it a fact that owning a 180g double press necessitates you flipping far more often than the OG single press. They do it as a ploy and that ploy exists because 180g albums exist.
  • mace1229 said:
    Zod said:

I've heard they can cut the grooves deeper and improve sound (don't know if that is true) but never heard they fit fewer songs because the record is thicker. 
    I have several modern 180g albums that are just 1 record. Don't think I have any 180g that are a double record when the original was not.
    My understanding is that they sometimes spread the songs out over multiple discs to avoid weakening a deeper cut piece of wax with more songs. But they also do it as a marketing ploy. Making ppl feel the need to pay more for heavier wax on more discs. 
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,273
    A quick listen to virtually any 140-150 gram Japanese pressing will tell you that 180 gram is nothing more than a marketing ploy. 
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    mace1229 said:
    JV130312 said:
    Meh...if they re-released the Benny, the whole "mystique" about it would be dead.  It wouldn't be nearly as cool to have or as good an album as people want it to be.
    It’s their best live album. It being hars to get on vinyl has nothing to do with that. 
    Its not their best live album by far in my opinion. its unique in that its an acoustic set, but not the best.
    The limited edition, who even knows how many of the 2000 remain, does play a lot into it and make it a white whale for anyone who isn't willing to pay 2 grand for a record, or even $500 ten years ago. But this would probably be among their best selling vaults if it was rereleased, the rarity isn't the only reason it is in demand.
    Like you said, in your opinion. 

In other people’s opinion, it is the best. 

The show is in the upper tier of their performances, and quite unique with the acoustic set. The sound in Benaroya Hall is superb. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    PJammin' said:
    mace1229 said:
    JV130312 said:

The show is in the upper tier of their performances, and quite unique with the acoustic set. The sound in Benaroya Hall is superb
    This is clearly confirmed at the beginning of Black when dude yells, "SOUNDS SO GOOD!!!"  
    That part always makes me laugh a little  =)
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • ZoSoTimZoSoTim Posts: 940
    A quick listen to virtually any 140-150 gram Japanese pressing will tell you that 180 gram is nothing more than a marketing ploy. 
    That's not really comparing apples to apples though.
    Dallas, TX (November 15, 2013)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Ft. Worth 1 (September 13, 2023)
    Ft. Worth 2 (September 15, 2023)
  • Heads up- now that non-members can purchase this on VMP, you can use a referral code and get $10 off. My total came to $58, no tax either which was nice. Still way overpriced, but better than the $70+ at 10C. As this is quite probably the only band I'd splurge for, I'm okay with it I guess. ‎

You can find some referral codes here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/VinylMePlease/comments/sjgpn8/referral_link_megathread_feb_2022_please_keep_all/
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,974
    PJammin' said:
    mace1229 said:
    JV130312 said:

The show is in the upper tier of their performances, and quite unique with the acoustic set. The sound in Benaroya Hall is superb
    This is clearly confirmed at the beginning of Black when dude yells, "SOUNDS SO GOOD!!!"  
    That part always makes me laugh a little  =)
    Sorry...
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,273
    ZoSoTim said:
    That's not really comparing apples to apples though.
    True. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,301
    CROJAM95 said:
    I’m ok not having Benny, can’t focus on a few that got away

But yes I’d take one 
    At this point I just want it on streaming services. 
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:

Maybe I am dumb but this all confuses me.  You shouldn't have to flip a record more due to it being 180 gram, which like someone said is pretty much marketing now  since they don't press super flimsy records anymore like they did bck in the day.  Are you talking about it being pressed at 45 rpm which would cause a song to take up more space which could make a single LP a double?
    apirk72 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Zod said:

Maybe I am dumb but this all confuses me.  You shouldn't have to flip a record more due to it being 180 gram, which like someone said is pretty much marketing now  since they don't press super flimsy records anymore like they did bck in the day.  Are you talking about it being pressed at 45 rpm which would cause a song to take up more space which could make a single LP a double?
    I’m not sure. Just responded to the guy who said you get fewer songs pressed on 180g vinyl. I don’t see how that works either. But they did it for this new yield. 
    Thicker vinyl just means deeper cuts. They can and do fit full albums on 180g.
    Im curious why they didn’t with this new yield? Did they leave more dead wax in the middle?
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    Santos could you please get us an update? It’s been nearly 6 months. bWe are fast approaching “holiday single” vibes here.  
  • KwienekeKwieneke Indiana Posts: 1,537
    Santos could you please get us an update? It’s been nearly 6 months. bWe are fast approaching “holiday single” vibes here.  
    10/13 is estimated ship date
    Noblesville 5.7.2010. Lexington 4.26.2016. Nashville 9.16.2022. St Louis 9.18.2022.
    Chicago 1 9.5.2023. Chicago 2 9.7.2023. 
    *Noblesville 9.10.2023* (Gutted) 
    Seattle 5.30.2024  Noblesville 8.26.2024  Chicago 8.29.2024  Chicago 8.31.2024 
  • JedJed New York City Posts: 1,175
    There was also detail from VMP on August 9th about the delay:

Message from Vinyl Me, Please regarding
    Yield 25th Anniversary Edition

We are writing to provide you with a status update regarding your purchase of Pearl Jam Yield.

First and foremost, we want to express our sincere apologies for the unforeseen challenges we have encountered in the production process. Our original plan was to make this title the inaugural pressing at our newly-built facility in Denver, CO. However, we have faced unexpected construction and permit delays that have continued to stretch the original timeline. We understand that these delays are unacceptable and we take full responsibility for the inconvenience they have caused you.

To address this situation, we have shifted the record production to Furnace Record Pressing. We are confident that Furnace maintains the same high standards of quality that you rightfully expect from Vinyl Me, Please.

The new estimated ship date is now set for 10/13. We are doing everything in our power to expedite the process, and if we receive the records earlier, we will ship them to you immediately.

Once again, we offer our deepest apologies. We value your patronage and are committed to making things right. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us and let us know how we can rectify this situation to your satisfaction.

Cam Schaefer CEO, VMP
  • OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,033
    hmm.  VMP should give a small credit.  They’ve essentially been given an interest free loan for 6 months.  Who do they think they are, Ticketmaster or something? 🤣