Options

Long Time Collector - Contemplating Selling Stuff Here - Just Nervous

MD7886MD7886 Dillsburg PA Posts: 33
I've been on here forever.  Lurking and posting only a few times since 1998 (I think this is my 11th post).

I would like to begin selling some of the items I've collected over the last 28 years.   Began buying PJ collectable stuff on eBay back in 1995.  I don't have a TON of stuff, but I do have what I would consider some desirable items.   I've spent the last few months researching, on here and eBay, and some other sites to try and gauge general value of some of the items.  I believe I have a baseline value and what I would consider my asking prices for some of these items.

I've sold on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and on other forums to which I have a MUCH greater experience with buying, selling and trading.   I'm new to it here.   I tried posting an NOS Eddie Vedder Zippo on here a few years ago and ended up selling it on eBay instead because it just didn't generate as much interest as I would have liked.  I chalked that up to me being essentially a "newbie" seller on here without much history or, as they say, "street cred".  Ha.

So I guess my question is this.   I don't see any kind of "feedback" associated with members on here.  I guess that concerns me as a seller, just as much as it would concern someone as a buyer of my items.  So what's the story, does number of posts come into play here - I don't know why that would matter much, but I DO UNDERSTAND it's at least something quantifying your long term existence in this realm.

My other hobby has me regularly buying and selling items on another forum unrelated to music in any way.   I have amassed a 100% positive feedback on that site with over 300 buyers and sellers alike.  

I guess I'm just asking, is it worth it to sell items on here if I'm not a long time poster, or should I just sell the stuff on eBay?  Sorry for the long-winded diatribe.

Comments

• Options
    CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,892
    Totally worth it. I had never sold or traded anything when I started to unload things. I made a few goofs but people let me know my errors and if you fix them, no one cares. If your stuff gets there, it's all good. I've had super positive feed back and experiences with everyone I've dealt with. I think people on here will want your items more than someone trolling eBay, just my two cents. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • Options
    I know I opened an account on here to post on the forums a LONG time ago, but I seem to remember something changing about the forums themselves maybe 15 years ago.   My account says I signed up in 1998, but I think that was originally for purchasing through the Tenclub only.   

Then the forums opened up a few years later?
  • Options
    Price things right and it will sell.  Ask too much and no one will buy it.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groove said:
    Price things right and it will sell.  Ask too much and no one will buy it.
    I agree.  I think I'll start small and go from there.   I just think some of this stuff needs to go somewhere were it can be stored, not in boxes, out of sight.
  • Options
    LetMySpiritPassLetMySpiritPass Lakewood Colorado Posts: 205
    PM sent
  • Options
    bchambers05bchambers05 Omaha, Nebraska Posts: 162
    MD7886 said:
    I've been on here forever.  Lurking and posting only a few times since 1998 (I think this is my 11th post).

I would like to begin selling some of the items I've collected over the last 28 years.   Began buying PJ collectable stuff on eBay back in 1995.  I don't have a TON of stuff, but I do have what I would consider some desirable items.   I've spent the last few months researching, on here and eBay, and some other sites to try and gauge general value of some of the items.  I believe I have a baseline value and what I would consider my asking prices for some of these items.

I've sold on eBay, Facebook Marketplace, and on other forums to which I have a MUCH greater experience with buying, selling and trading.   I'm new to it here.   I tried posting an NOS Eddie Vedder Zippo on here a few years ago and ended up selling it on eBay instead because it just didn't generate as much interest as I would have liked.  I chalked that up to me being essentially a "newbie" seller on here without much history or, as they say, "street cred".  Ha.

So I guess my question is this.   I don't see any kind of "feedback" associated with members on here.  I guess that concerns me as a seller, just as much as it would concern someone as a buyer of my items.  So what's the story, does number of posts come into play here - I don't know why that would matter much, but I DO UNDERSTAND it's at least something quantifying your long term existence in this realm.

My other hobby has me regularly buying and selling items on another forum unrelated to music in any way.   I have amassed a 100% positive feedback on that site with over 300 buyers and sellers alike.  

I guess I'm just asking, is it worth it to sell items on here if I'm not a long time poster, or should I just sell the stuff on eBay?  Sorry for the long-winded diatribe.
    Do you have a link to your eBay stuff or a list of waht you have for sale? Thank you 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments.  I will be posting a few items by the end of this weekend, if all goes well.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Having decided to sell my collection last year I will absolutely tell you that the right things 100% sell here. Ebay is unnecessary. 

Realistic pricing and in demand items are the perfect formula. 

Good luck
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 369
    I totally understand how you feel!  I started doing eBay on and off for random items (long story on that, but none have been PJ related things) and have had some decent success with it.  I too, am looking to part with some stuff - mainly stickers from the mid 90s.  I posted on here a couple years back looking for advice on how to price them (I understand auctions are not allowed which totally makes sense and I respect that).  I couldn’t find many data points at all, and still don’t see much except for one ridiculously priced eBay listing.  I’d also be new to actually selling anything on here.  Nervous to pull the trigger.     I’m interested to see what you’ve got!
    Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Lots of good folks here and people would be willing to help you price the items if you need help.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Its the  pricing i find hard
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 369
    mfc2006 said:
    Lots of good folks here and people would be willing to help you price the items if you need help.
    I had a thread like three years ago and I did get some insight -  not sure where the market is at now.  I’ve got the angel/cherub sticker (which someone has on eBay for like $245 which can’t be right…it seems like a LOT for a sticker).  I also have a not quite perfect but unused silver bomb, couple of WMAs and a couple toaster stickers.  

I’m debating on selling my fresh pressed and my sevens box set, but I’m not sure.  I love my vinyl and I don’t know if I’m ready to say goodbye to those.  

I’m not sure if anyone is interested in the gigaton viewmaster gadget thing - when it was for sale a few years ago it got mocked pretty hard, but it’s a cool little thing.

I’ve seen some non PJ items on here - I do have a weird Foo Fighters item - a Coors Almighty Beer Box made for their Studio 666 movie.  

It’s not much, but that’s what I’ve got :)

Its good to be back!!
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    As far as feedback, that really shouldn't be a big issue if you accept goods and services payment.  I would be skeptical of anyone who has never posted and refuses G&S as payment. I'd have no problem being someone's first buyer as long as it was protected with G&S.
    Sometimes you just do better on eBay too. Even after asking a little less here than compared to eBay to account for no fees and less hassle. I had several Backspacer LPs I tried to sell a few years ago for $25. I dont think I sold any. Listed it on ebay for $40 and sold all 5 or 6 in 2 days.

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,046
    Its the  pricing i find hard

totally.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit