What’s happened to Discogs? Dodgy sellers!

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
edited February 2023 in Lost Dogs
Anyone here pick up the Benaroya Hall sets listed for less than $1k? I was talking with the US seller, asked for photos and it sold before they could give me permission to their Google Drive. 
www.cluthelee.com
Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on

Comments

• Damn! Sorry you missed out man! That sucks.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,239
    Damn! Sorry you missed out man! That sucks.
    Yep, was going to pick it up for someone I know. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Weird, set back up for $650. No description, rating from one person says seller is scammer. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Weird, set back up for $650. No description, rating from one person says seller is scammer. 
    Why would you sell something worth 2K for 650?  
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Weird, set back up for $650. No description, rating from one person says seller is scammer. 
    And would you bet $650 that the person doing so is on the up and up?
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • sfrdudersfrduder Posts: 263
    Who got ‘em off Discogs? I was talking with the US seller, asked for photos and it sold before they could give me permission to their Google Drive. 
     It’s a scam. Discogs is having a problem with hacked accounts. 
  • Damn! Sorry you missed out man! That sucks.
    Yep, was going to pick it up for someone I know. 
    Damn! You're more of a stand up guy than I even thought! Wow, that's nice of you!!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    edited January 2023
    tdawe said:
    And would you bet $650 that the person doing so is on the up and up?
    I have found that the saying "If it sounds too good to be true...." to be very accurate. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • I don’t think I’ll ever own one. Even for $650 I’m out lol 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,717
    I don’t think I’ll ever own one. Even for $650 I’m out lol 
    That is a lot of money, but if one came up for that, I would at least give it some contemplation. 
    Hmm, well so glad I didn’t follow through with purchasing it. Had it in my cart too. Whoever it was changed usernames and re-listed it. Previous no feedback, then under new username brand new feedback that said person was a scammer. And now it’s gone again. Phew, bullet dodged. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,411
    I don’t think I’ll ever own one. Even for $650 I’m out lol 
    Same! I wish they’d just reissue it
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 439
    Tons of scams on discogs lately as previously mentioned.  Accounts with great feedback histories are being hacked and what looks like the deal of the century of being sold
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • Weird, set back up for $650. No description, rating from one person says seller is scammer. 
    Yup. A lot of that on there these days. I’m pretty much finished with purchasing off discogs 
    Yup. A lot of that on there these days. I’m pretty much finished with purchasing off discogs 
    It’s been awhile since I bought there, but this confirms I need to stay away.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Look what other items they are selling it’s a good indication if the are all highly sort after records at a high price be cautious 
  • Ugh! And I am still looking for four more vaults. That’s scary!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,526
    Discogs is getting brutal.  I have a bunch of stuff in my wantlist, and I noticed the vinyl edition of GNR Live Era got posted for 80 bucks.  I had a bit of scotch in me, and impulse bought it.  Didn't even think why is this so cheap.. lol.   Someone finally found my achille's heal and scammed me.  Discogs banned the seller, and emailed me to start a dispute with paypal to get the $$ back.  I feel stupid for falling for the scam (if something is too good to be true, it's a scam).

I think Discogs needs to do something.  These scammers seem to have a list of records they know are valuable then post them for sale a prices far below the current value.   They get a few suckers like me, get banned, then they make a new account and do it all over again.  I'm seeing more and more holy grail items in my wantlist showing up for cheap.

At first I reported them to discogs but it's getting out of control.   It's beyond wack o' mole. If discogs doesn't figure it out, I think it's going to hurt their credibility.
    I figured the one I was looking at was beat up, which is why I was asking for photos of it. The seller sent me a Google Drive link that needed permissions set for me to view. Asked for that to happen, then it was gone. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    And now there’s another one up for $800 from Spain. No description, listed as mint. WTF. I sure hope nobody here bites on it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I've never bought on Discogs, never bothered.  All seems overpriced to me.
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I buy there all the time, never had an issue, but only buy from people with more than 10 5 star reviews recently and also use a paypal and cc I can dispute.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,065
    RS65573 said:
    I buy there all the time, never had an issue, but only buy from people with more than 10 5 star reviews recently and also use a paypal and cc I can dispute.

...same here. 
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Just like Amazon, you can’t trust the reviews anymore. Discogs is no bueno. I’m out 
    I've never bought on Discogs, never bothered.  All seems overpriced to me.
    It mostly is because your generally using it to find out of print records which fetch a premium because they can't be bought in stores anymore.
    Paypal sided in my favour and issued a refund for the scammed record I bought.   I imagine if discogs doesn't get their stuff in order, Paypal might discontinue their parternship with discogs, if they're having to refund a bunch of things.
  • Zod said:
    I've never bought on Discogs, never bothered.  All seems overpriced to me.
    It mostly is because your generally using it to find out of print records which fetch a premium because they can't be bought in stores anymore.
    I find cheaper stuff on ebay all the time.

I do need to use it to catalog my records.  One day I'll do that...
  • RS65573 said:
    Yep. Have never had any problems buying or selling.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • If you live outside of major US or Canadian cities some records can be hard to find so you use discogs or eBay. It was great for a while and there were deals to be had. Was great during the pandemic. If you live somewhere like NY, Chi, LA or T.O., I would think you must be a recluse if you couldn’t hit several of the bevy of great record stores there. 

Anyway, I don’t trust the platform any longer and it’s got me thinking of other ways to shop for vinyl. Decided I will hit the Austin Record Convention in late September this year for the hell of it.