What’s happened to Discogs? Dodgy sellers!

2»

Comments

• redrawredraw Posts: 1,280
    Ordered the PJ20 GITD set last week from a seller in France for $650 (should've known it was too good to be true...)
    Got a refund from PayPal the next day. 
    Seller then tells me their PayPal account has been limited, my order is ready to ship if I pay into his wife's account as f&f.
    Obviously a scam... 
    Still cost me $30 for an international transaction fee from my bank tho  :angry:
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,481
    I have a bunch of stuff on my Watchlist, but I’ve only ever bought a couple of things off Discogs. Everything I’m watching is expensive and shipping to Australia is always crazy.

I gave up on e**y years ago because it was just too risky (it was great in the beginning, but bad for my wallet!) I’m not as trusting as I used to be, and I’m a hell of a lot more sceptical these days.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • redrawredraw Posts: 1,280
    Yeah shipping to Aus can be outrageous at times - the Flaming Lips EPs that got announced today would cost me $57USD which is more than what the vinyl costs...
    I have bought heaps of stuff on discogs over the years without any issues but it is definitely getting smashed with dodgy dealers lately  :s
    '95: Brisbane BEC March 21 & 22 '98: Brisbane BEC March 14 & 15 '03: Brad Surfers Paradise Troccadero Jan 11
    '03: Brisbane BEC Feb 8 '06: Brisbane BEC Nov 10 & 11 '09: Brisbane QSAC Nov 25
    '11: EV Solo Brisbane QPAC March 10, 12 & 13 '11: PJ20 Alpine Valley Sep 3 & 4
    '14: Gold Coast BDO Jan 19 EV Solo QPAC Feb 22, 23 & 25
  • goldrush said:
    I have a bunch of stuff on my Watchlist, but I’ve only ever bought a couple of things off Discogs. Everything I’m watching is expensive and shipping to Australia is always crazy.

I gave up on e**y years ago because it was just too risky (it was great in the beginning, but bad for my wallet!) I’m not as trusting as I used to be, and I’m a hell of a lot more sceptical these days.
    ebay ebay ebay ebay ebay.  You won't be damned to hell, you can say it.
  • jgregory89jgregory89 Las Vegas Posts: 195
    I've only had one issue on Discogs out of 20 purchases, but still eventually got the record.  I was buying Neil Young Carnegie Hall for my dad, having it sent to him in Philadelphia.  Seller marked it as shipped the same day as purchase, but took 3 days to get the tracking number to me.  Then following that tracking number, the record went to North Carolina and was made "ready for pickup" at the post office.  I messaged the seller about the issue and after 2 days he shipped another one, which eventually arrived and my dad said it was sealed and sounded great. At the time, the seller had about 50 reviews with 90+% rating, now he's got 205 with 70% positive ratings with all of the most recent buyers not getting their records.  Definitely a strange situation.  Now I only buy from sellers with nothing less than 99% positive ratings with a lengthy history of sales.  
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    bottom line with discogs, buy from record stores or sellers you have or can see have a long and flawless track record. Discogs is going to have to start verifying sellers soon because the scammers have arrived in force.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PB11041 said:
    bottom line with discogs, buy from record stores or sellers you have or can see have a long and flawless track record. Discogs is going to have to start verifying sellers soon because the scammers have arrived in force.
    Fair comment. 
    There is a potential workaround there as well. If a seller has something on discogs I want, I check and see If they have their own online store and buy it there. They don’t have to pay discogs or PayPal those exorbitant fees. It’s like the Ticketmaster of vinyl. 
  • alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    Thats a shame its getting sketchy now. 

Ive bought 15-20 of my favorite 90s rap albums from there, before the pandemic, and i never had any issues. 

But, i agree with what others have said about buying from 5 star sellers, record stores or long sellers with long sales histories. 
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Goods heads up.  Have bought plenty of times and only had one issue.  It was a $30 record so I wasn't too burnt.  (The Cult, if memory serves.)

The love he receives is the love that is saved