Matt Cameron Trio Live at The Royal Room Thursday, January 19th

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
edited January 2023 in The Porch

Matt Cameron will be revisiting the side-project Harrybu McCage, with keyboardist Ryan Burns and bassist Geoff Harper. Matt will also be performing with "Motel 7" featuring Skerik, Neil Welch, Geoff Harper, and Wayne Horvitz at The Royal Room in Seattle on Thursday, January 19th at 7:30 PM. Tickets are on sale now!

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335

Motel 7 first emerged from Matt Cameron of Soundgarden (and now Pearl Jam) performing as a special guest with Wayne Horvitz and Pigpen at the OK Hotel in the early 90's.They first appeared as Motel 7 at the Frankfurt Jazz Festival with Briggan Krauss, Skerik, Fred Chalenor, and Eyvind Kang

Since 2000 Horvitz and Cameron have made it a point to get together from time to time, and Motel 7 has included a variety of musicians including Mike Stone, Timothy Young, and Alex Guy. The music leans heavily on compositions from Horvitz' 90s bands including Pigpen, and The President. Expect heavy riffs and sonic explosions.

Tickets sold out online.

Drummer Matt Cameron is a major cog in the evolution of rock music in Seattle and the world, as a member of both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. He grew up with jazz awareness, listening to drummers such as Buddy Rich. His ambition to play jazz has never quieted, throughout years of mammoth success, touring the world and recording with two rock behemoths. That love and respect for jazz music will come full circle at The Royal Room, with Cameron performing with his own trio and in the collective ensemble, Motel 7.

Cameron first debuted his jazz trio at the 2004 Ballard Jazz Festival as part of the opening night “Celebration of the Drum” concert at the Tractor Tavern. Drummer and Soundgarden drum tech Gregg Keplinger recommended keyboardist Ryan Burns and bassist Geoff Harper for the gig. “Matt Jorgensen told me to be prepared because Matt Cameron is going to call you. I asked him who that was,” recalls Burns. The festival is hosted by Jorgensen and John Bishop, two of the finest jazz drummers in the Pacific Northwest.

The trio, performing originals and standards, played the Bonnaroo festival under the name Harrybu McCage at one point, an event in Tennessee that drew over 80,000 fans. A recording followed in 2008, with the trio’s last performance coming in 2010 at Bison Creek Pizza & Pub in Burien. The set was a benefit for the music programs in Burien schools. For his part as a drummer, Cameron is unafraid to explore the tenets of jazz drumming in the only way possible—on the bandstand. In many ways, it is emblematic of how the musical currents of this city tend to inevitably cross paths. The “Seattle Sound” is formed by these divergent streams.

Over the course of the pandemic, the trio members kept in touch via email, and with the return of live music, Harper recommended the pairing with Motel 7. The double bill finds Cameron and Harper playing both sets, with intrepid saxophonist Skerik, joining Motel 7 along with Horvitz and clarinetist/vocalist Beth Fleenor. The trio, with Burns manning electronic keyboards and piano, remains intact.

There is a great deal of familiarity within the ranks of Motel 7, mainly from projects involving Horvitz. Cameron steps into a collective that can move the music directionally in an instant, adding to the fun. The band is undeniably a group of uniquely individual musical personalities collaging as one without fear.

Not unlike the evening’s performers, this gig should attract an audience that reflects different strands of the music community in Seattle. As is well known, it’s “all about the hang,” and this should be a good one.

By Paul Rauch

• treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,800
    Yeh i wish I lived in Seattle WA this year for this and Paintrd Sheild may these show will get a bootlegs like The Rockfords did in 2003

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
    trees said:
    Yeh i wish I lived in Seattle WA this year for this and Paintrd Sheild may these show will get a bootlegs like The Rockfords did in 2003

I hope official bootlegs get release from the Painted Shield 3 night jams.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    demetrios said:
    trees said:

I hope official bootlegs get release from the Painted Shield 3 night jams.
    That would be awesome.
    Tomorrow! 
  • Anyone going to this? Are tickets likely to be available at the door on the day of the show?
    Anyone going to this? Are tickets likely to be available at the door on the day of the show?

Best to contact them over @ https://www.strangertickets.com/page/contact .
    Hope you get in.

Tonight's the night!
  • Got COVID and can't go 😐.
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Got COVID and can't go 😐.
    That stinks. I tested positive for COVID a couple of days before we were supposed to see the Black Keys last year.
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    I have an extra pair available for tonight. Message me! 
    Got COVID and can't go 😐.

Sorry. :(
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    I have an extra pair available for tonight. Message me! 

I had a blast performing at the Royal Room with my quartet featuring @caspiancoberly @ryanburnsmusic and Geoff Harper. Thanks to everyone that attended. 🙏🏻

Did anyone capture any more photos, audio or videos from last night. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    edited January 2023
    Anyone here go care to share?

I'd shake mc down for a stick and a sig. I want him to sign my drum head I scored from 4/29/16 show. Someday who knows...someday I suppose 

Lisa Hagen Glynn is with Ryan Burns and 3 others

Matt Cameron Trio//Motel 7 at The Royal Room 2023.01.19, for Hardly Raining. (More photos at link in comments.)

Great night last night w/ Caspian Coberly sitting in with Pearl Jam's Matt Cameron at the The Royal Room last night. Playing among some of the Northwest’s finest.

#caspiancoberly #guitar #seattle #rockmusic #mattcameron #pearljam #drums #seattlemusic #pnw #pnwlife #music #love

• mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    Damn! that close-up photo of MC looks like he aged 10 years over the last year.  Maybe Covid roughed him up more than we knew?
  • He is 60
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    He is 60
    excellent point!!!  However i always thought he looked a lot younger than his actual age over the years.  But now he definitely looks every bit of 60, if not older.  Just and observation.  Also makes me feel older than i want to admit!