Options

Should I stay or should I go? (ya...I'm staying, lol)

2»

Comments

• Options
    When did they make it that you had to be a paying member of the Tenclub to post on this board? It wasn’t always like that and I thought that was lame when they changed it. I wonder if any other big band’s website’s message board is like that, where ya have to pay to post. Any of you guys visit the message boards of bands comparable to PJ? Like U2, Dave Matthews, Phish, Radiohead, etc?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    When did they make it that you had to be a paying member of the Tenclub to post on this board? It wasn’t always like that and I thought that was lame when they changed it. I wonder if any other big band’s website’s message board is like that, where ya have to pay to post. Any of you guys visit the message boards of bands comparable to PJ? Like U2, Dave Matthews, Phish, Radiohead, etc?

I've only been here since 2010 so I thought it was always that way.  Maybe someone here can tell us more.

I belong to the now very slow and quiet Paul Westerberg "Man Without Ties" board which has always been free.  Dinosaur Jr had a now defunct free board.  Steve Hoffman's forums are free and only request donations.
    With what Pearl Jam and Company charges for stuff, you'd think they were having trouble making rent.  I really don't understand this band sometimes.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited December 2022
    I'm pissed off about the price going up $15USD - nothing added to the membership benefits me. It's just almost doubled the price for the same thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm not leaving, but I'm not happy about this at all. I think it's total BS.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Theoretically if I renewed would I be able to report the $5 portion of the membership that is donation to vitalogy as a charitable contribution?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    Theoretically if I renewed would I be able to report the $5 portion of the membership that is donation to vitalogy as a charitable contribution?

Interesting question. Probably so if Pearl Jam Vitalogy is a 501(c)(3). Probably not if not.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    static111 said:
    BTW, I'm not flaming your choice to leave...only that the price increase is massive.  This, to me, is a head scratcher.  How much a month did they increase the price?
    $20 to $35 is a massive increase.  For what appears to be less/the same non benefits as previous years.  With the slow down in touring and the focus on selling merchandise to ten club members it just isn't worth it.  Yeah $15 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things and I can afford it, but this is one of those things where it doesn't add up for my cost benefit ratio.  I saw maybe 15 is shows from '98-2014 with the best shows being in the '98-'03 time frame. Not to mention the last show I saw in 2014 was just pretty good and overall lacked the feeling that I had grown used to when seeing PJ.

At this point being charged $35 to maybe get a $100+ dollar ticket and have access to spend even more money on 'exclusive fan club' merchandise is ridiculous to me.  I can't stop buying gas or groceries when the prices get jacked, but I can refuse to take part in a cash grab from one of my favorite millionaire bands.  If I really want to see a PJ show that likely won't measure up to my past shows, I will just wait until the dynamic pricing goes down low enough to snag a nose bleed. Anyway I have a low number and have consistently scored seats between row 2-14, so this will be good for people at the back of the line.  Maybe I will be amazed by something before the renewal deadline and my mind will be changed.  I hope so, I have been waiting this long after all.
    That is your option to choose and all of the reasons you lay out make good sense, to you, I'm sure.
    I don't share the perspective.   I don't do a cost benefit analysis on $15.  Don't do it on $35.  Don't think it is a worth anything to do that when I spent $150+ on an average-to-below-average delivery of dinner last night.  By now that is in the toilet.  

Good luck with your decision.  
    I understand both sides......but I'm milquetoast.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    A $15 increase is $1.25/month. 

But yeah...if it isn't worth it don't pay it. Simple as that.

I'm hoping there is more member only merch offerings but if not that's ok. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I'll echo what I said in the other thread about this same topic: 

75% increase seems insane, but  this is also the first price adjustment they've had in the last decade or so. Yeah it's 75%, but otoh, it's *only* $15.00. 

Just my $0.02, I'm happy to hear you're likely sticking around. 
  • Options

Yet again, missing the point.  A number of other people have already mentioned the "it's only $1.25 a month" excuse here and in the thread in the porch, all together missing the point others of us have made which is that charging more for less really seems like a cash grab.  They could have at least had different levels including a low price for members who simple like to be involved with the PJ community on the forums and are not into buy buy buy more stuff.  Odd that so many here defend that action or don't seem to get that.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    brianlux said:

Yet again, missing the point.  A number of other people have already mentioned the "it's only $1.25 a month" excuse here and in the thread in the porch, all together missing the point others of us have made which is that charging more for less really seems like a cash grab.  They could have at least had different levels including a low price for members who simple like to be involved with the PJ community on the forums and are not into buy buy buy more stuff.  Odd that so many here defend that action or don't seem to get that.
    No I completely get that it's $1.25/month

It simplifies things for them. Hasn't been increased forever. Forgo a burrito from Qdoba once a year and keep your membership.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    brianlux said:

No I completely get that it's $1.25/month

It simplifies things for them. Hasn't been increased forever. Forgo a burrito from Qdoba once a year and keep your membership.

It's not the money, Gern.  I have the money and I've updated my payment info to include my newest credit card. They will get my money and I will get to stay on here and keep posting here.  That's the only benefit for me, but I'll do it.

• Options
    I am also in the Tool club and they sent me the same shit two years in a row. Same fucking T Shirt and keychain

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I consider leaving like every other month. haha Haven't been posting that much since it's such a fucking cesspool a lot of the time. 

whatever. I'll probably pay it because, with my luck, I'd end my membership and they'd immediately announce a full canadian tour. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I am also in the Tool club and they sent me the same shit two years in a row. Same fucking T Shirt and keychain
    I’m grateful to have been grandfathered in from when they offered a lifetime membership for one flat fee. 

$50 / year and the only special access you get is the chance to buy $300-500 vip concert packages (which are also offering fewer & fewer bennys w/ every new tour) 

10C is the shit and a steal by comparison. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I’m grateful to have been grandfathered in from when they offered a lifetime membership for one flat fee. 

$50 / year and the only special access you get is the chance to buy $300-500 vip concert packages (which are also offering fewer & fewer bennys w/ every new tour) 

Tool has become the new Kiss. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    edited December 2022
    Obviously I’d rather spend $20 than $35. But as long  as you can get tickets for multiple shows, still seems like a good deal. They could make the 10c free and charge double for tickets, but I prefer this system.
    Tickets are the only reason I’m in it. If not for that possibility I probably would have left when they dropped the single, if not sooner.
  • Options

Tool has become the new Kiss. 
    The merch is certainly getting there. 
  • Options
    I consider leaving like every other month. haha Haven't been posting that much since it's such a fucking cesspool a lot of the time. 

whatever. I'll probably pay it because, with my luck, I'd end my membership and they'd immediately announce a full canadian tour. 

Always glad to see you here, bud.