Options

Ticketmaster, Tay Tay and chasing phantoms

124»

Comments

• Options
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,443
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I am actually seeing Taylor this May and if she covers Green Disease I will faint.  Funny story, I became a fan of Taylor's because years ago, right before Red blew up, I was on youtube looking at artists and songs that I wasn't a fan of and saw Taylor had covered DMB's "You and Me" when she did medleys during the Speak Now tour.  I liked it, saw some other songs on YT like "Mine" and "Back to December" and a few more that I didn't realize she was the artist of those songs as I wasn't a fan back then and just fell for her and her music.  These will be my 4th and 5th shows of hers this summer.
  • Options
    runbirdukrunbirduk Brooklyn Posts: 21
    This market value price is a joke especially because we live in New York.
    We recently tried to get tickets multiple times to see the Bono chat/tour but were only offered tickets for like $1000+.
    Of course now you go back on and there’s loads available for resale but much as we love bono/U2 we won’t be paying $300+ a ticket.
    Front row resale over $9000 a ticket! How is this possible?
    when he did the larger tour you could get tickets for something like $90 in Canada as they have a law that prohibits the market value tkt. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738

No problemo! 
  • Options
    runbirduk said:
    This market value price is a joke especially because we live in New York.
    We recently tried to get tickets multiple times to see the Bono chat/tour but were only offered tickets for like $1000+.
    Of course now you go back on and there’s loads available for resale but much as we love bono/U2 we won’t be paying $300+ a ticket.
    Front row resale over $9000 a ticket! How is this possible?
    when he did the larger tour you could get tickets for something like $90 in Canada as they have a law that prohibits the market value tkt. 
    Wayyyy too many people doing this across the board with everything.

New clothing line from a star comes out?  Sold out to resell.

New limited sneakers?  Sold out to resell.

This has failed miserably though which I am happy with in the NFT's for basketball.
  • Options
    pjrusspjruss Posts: 453
    Sorry, this may be slightly off topic because I’m not sure that it’s Ticketmaster that is behind it, but what about when a certain venue (well, it’s owners) is causing ridiculously out of line ticket prices for high demand shows?

I live in Ft. Lauderdale. A lot of BIG acts are now playing at a 7,000 seat venue here, whereas everywhere else on their respective tours, they’re playing arenas or even stadiums!

The venue is at the Guitar Hotel at the Seminole Tribe’s headquarters. And tickets to these shows are minimum $500, and as much as $10,000. 

The Seminole Tribe owns the entire Hard Rock operation. I can’t be alone in finding it fishy that McCartney plays a football stadium in Orlando, where tickets could be purchased for $100-$150, albeit far and high from stage one night, and here at the HR a couple nights later and tickets are $1k minimum. Then back to stadiums the rest of the tour. 

This week Billy Joel here. 
    Bruce in a couple weeks. 
    Janet Jackson in April. 
    It goes on and on. 

Look at their itineraries: arenas in all other cities of their tours. 

How much are they being paid up front to play there, rather than an arena that could hold 2-3 times the number of people like they’re playing in front of the rest of their tour??

Who suffers? Anyone living in South Florida that isn’t wealthy that wants to go to any of these concerts. 

Not blaming the artists, just saying that this is a problem that may or may not be related to Ticketmaster, but shows that they aren’t the only ones that contribute to this mess. 

And kudos to Taylor Swift for not playing a show or two there on her upcoming tour. I can only imagine what they offered her (and what the ticket prices would’ve been 😳)…

Any thoughts/comments (other than “so move out of South Florida 🤷🏻‍♂️) on this? Does this happen to this degree anywhere else?

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,108
    To me the question is, if TM was broken up, what would actually change.   I don't think platinum tickets are going away.  Not that there's many non-TM venues left, but before the RATM tour got cancelled, the old NHL arena in Vancouver was selling it's tickets through TicketLeader.   RATM was doing platinum tickets for charity on that tour, and the website had no problem doing that.    If there were other shows where that wasn't for charity, I don't imagine it would be an issue.

Platinum tickets rise more ticket revenue which results in larger gaurantees for the band.   I don't get how, even with more competition how that's going to change.  Oh we got of gotten paid 10 million to do that show, but we're going to go with Ticket Company X, that doesn't do platinum, so we're only going to get paid 5 million... lol.

Things I think could improve:

Lower ticket fees.

Everything else I think would be the same old problems.   If you fragmented the sector, what are the odds all these smaller ticket companies will have the capacity to handle giant onsales.  If TS brought TM to it's knees, I can only imagine what would happen with smaller operations.

I sort of agree with some comments that TM is designed to take the flack, but I don't think most of the problems get solved if they weren't around.  Demand is still greater than supply, artists don't make money on music anymore, so they want more money to play live (even worse for new bands where the label also gets concert revenue).  

Cat's out of the bag.  Not sure the grass would be much greener.
  • Options
    I won't be surprised if Taylor starts selling tix through a fan club at some point.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    I won't be surprised if Taylor starts selling tix through a fan club at some point.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this fan club allowed people to join up for tickets after the tour gets announced. It seems most fan clubs do it this way.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,766
    edited January 2023
    If TM is broken up into 27 different companies, these new companies would most likely:
    Be exclusive with a particular venue 
    And
    Most likely figure out a way the artists only tour at their venues.
    AND
    Figure out a way to merge ala Ma Bell.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,108

I think she's too popular to have a mom and pop operation like the 10c or Metallica's club where they're run in house.   Probably would end up getting farmed out to a bigger corporation, but she'd be able to get $50/year extra on fans to give them presale access to tickets :)