Options

*** Eddie Vedder & Earthlings Ohana Festival Fanviews 10/01/22 ***

2»

Comments

• Options
      I just posted about the Andrew Watt Hunger Strike issue. Let me know what you thing!
    Came to the board this morning to catch up on the festival and found out we have a Hunger Strike “Issue”.  
    And a fancy pajamas issue
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,528
    Get_Right said:
    PJ fans will always complain.  Complaining about seeing Ed at Ohana is like saying my caviar was fishy.  
    EDIT: Seeing Ed COVER Stopping Dragging my Heart Around with Stevie Nicks would have made my weekend.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 930
    been to every Ohana. This time was a little off. Just different to me anyway. Highlight was Billy Strings, Jack White. Both killed it. Was stoked to see Earthlings open with RVM. They almost had to do something strong after the two acts previous. Sound was off in some songs, but hey, they probably didn't get much rehearsal. Anytime you get to see Ed is special, doesn't mean every time is the shit though. Maybe just a little spoiled after seeing them multiple times over the last year being for CA. Hoping for next summer, but not counting on it. Did I mention Billy Strings?
  • Options
    Ed and earthlings rocked. Saturday was awesome.  I’ve done Ohana since 2017 I think. What I noticed this year was the absence of Ed through out the festival. In the past it seems like he pops up surprisingly throughout. This year he opened then did a song with Stevie. That’s it. Any other “ long time” Ohana folks notice that?
    I noticed the same thing. A buddy of mine commented that the festival this year was a little different. Almost like it “jumped the shark”.  In the past years it was all about EV and the bands that he liked or had connection too. Previous opening bands for PJ or artist EV would tour with from Glen to RHCP. That made collaborations seem to happen almost every set. This year was not that way. 
    His set seemed to mirror that environment, getting upset with the lighting, the crazy lady, and so on. 
    Hopefully it was just an off year because this festival has been an amazing thing over the years. 

• Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 421
    I just find it wild that folks were in attendance at this show - RVM opens and they're upset about it lol... or Hunger Strike is played, sounds amazing and they don't enjoy it because they feel it gives off a "bad vibe" or they're surprised they're playing Pearl Jam songs and upset about that...

talk about privilege... 

Get over it... it's music... enjoy it. be happy
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    PJ5a1 said:
    I just find it wild that folks were in attendance at this show - RVM opens and they're upset about it lol... or Hunger Strike is played, sounds amazing and they don't enjoy it because they feel it gives off a "bad vibe" or they're surprised they're playing Pearl Jam songs and upset about that...

talk about privilege... 

Bingo
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Posts: 250
    Haven’t been fortunate to attend an Ohana yet, but this article lauds the lineup/wknd and the performers’ reverence for Ed.  (For any that saw the other bands I’d love to hear who else gave props). 

"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    Ed and earthlings rocked. Saturday was awesome.  I’ve done Ohana since 2017 I think. What I noticed this year was the absence of Ed through out the festival. In the past it seems like he pops up surprisingly throughout. This year he opened then did a song with Stevie. That’s it. Any other “ long time” Ohana folks notice that?
    People seem to notice him every time he was watching and took pictures with him his family from like super far away.....little weird methinks.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Stove said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ed Vedder, the lead singer of Pearl Jam, sings Pearl Jam songs with different musicians and it’s considered a cover ?  Ed and the same musicians aren’t worthy of playing hunger strike? Weird.  
    So Boom should be able to play whatever Pearl Jam song he wants with whomever?
    Is that really a serious comment? Someone is suggesting that Eddie Vedder can’t play Pearl Jam songs whenever and wherever he wants? That’s beyond absurd. 

For my money, I love the Earthling shows. I thought last night was fantastic, though the band definitely had some rust and was probably in need of more rehearsal that they didn’t have time for. 
    Not what I said. You're not understanding it from a songwriter/ownership perspective. Pearl Jam songs are PEARL JAM songs. Not just Eddie. Eddie didn't write all the Pearl Jam songs.  Chances are your favs were written by someone other than Eddie. :|
    I’ve been a 10C member for 30 years. Please tell me
    more about who wrote the songs. 

Which doesn’t even matter anyway. Any artist can play any song they want at a show as Pearl Jam demonstrates all the time and to say that Eddie can’t play his own songs or a song written by Stone or another band member is not only absurd, it shows a complete misunderstanding of the art in general. 
    What are you talking about? Please explain art to me.
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    PJ5a1 said:

talk about privilege... 

What an invalidating statement.
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
      I just posted about the Andrew Watt Hunger Strike issue. Let me know what you thing!
    Came to the board this morning to catch up on the festival and found out we have a Hunger Strike “Issue”.  
    And a fancy pajamas issue
    I would argue the fancy pants pj's were a bigger issue.  :D
  • Options
    Stove said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Stove said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ed Vedder, the lead singer of Pearl Jam, sings Pearl Jam songs with different musicians and it’s considered a cover ?  Ed and the same musicians aren’t worthy of playing hunger strike? Weird.  
    So Boom should be able to play whatever Pearl Jam song he wants with whomever?
    Is that really a serious comment? Someone is suggesting that Eddie Vedder can’t play Pearl Jam songs whenever and wherever he wants? That’s beyond absurd. 

For my money, I love the Earthling shows. I thought last night was fantastic, though the band definitely had some rust and was probably in need of more rehearsal that they didn’t have time for. 
    Not what I said. You're not understanding it from a songwriter/ownership perspective. Pearl Jam songs are PEARL JAM songs. Not just Eddie. Eddie didn't write all the Pearl Jam songs.  Chances are your favs were written by someone other than Eddie. :|
    I’ve been a 10C member for 30 years. Please tell me
    more about who wrote the songs. 

Which doesn’t even matter anyway. Any artist can play any song they want at a show as Pearl Jam demonstrates all the time and to say that Eddie can’t play his own songs or a song written by Stone or another band member is not only absurd, it shows a complete misunderstanding of the art in general. 

Ok.
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,614
    I for one thought it was a great show. Seen Ed by himself 3 times, this was my 2nd Earthlings experience, and I for one will sign up to see them anytime I can! Love the Earthlings songs, love the covers of Room At The Top and Isn’t It A Pity. First time seeing Ed sing The Waiting for me, and with Mike Campbell playing on it, pretty darn great. I got a little emotional during Hunger Strike and definitely soaked it in and appreciated that it was Ed’s first go at it since Chris left us. All in all, worth the cross county trip for me and super happy I went.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    Stove said:
    People seem to notice him every time he was watching and took pictures with him his family from like super far away.....little weird methinks.
    Yeah, that is weird.  I think you and I are talking about different things.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,696
    It seemed like a nice tribute to Chris given the story around it and how Chris was supportive and welcoming of Ed, the new guy in town at the time. 

Sometimes fans claim too much ownership over things and feel like they get to dictate terms. 
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    And they basically only play songs Ed wrote, except dirty Frank 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,990
    I noticed the same thing. A buddy of mine commented that the festival this year was a little different. Almost like it “jumped the shark”.  In the past years it was all about EV and the bands that he liked or had connection too. Previous opening bands for PJ or artist EV would tour with from Glen to RHCP. That made collaborations seem to happen almost every set. This year was not that way. 
    His set seemed to mirror that environment, getting upset with the lighting, the crazy lady, and so on. 
    Hopefully it was just an off year because this festival has been an amazing thing over the years. 

Maybe it's because last year's festival was so much different given the PJ appearances and Encore weekend? Going back to the normal one weekend would make it seem much different to me.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,423
    DEGBTI said:
    been to every Ohana. This time was a little off. Just different to me anyway. Highlight was Billy Strings, Jack White. Both killed it. Was stoked to see Earthlings open with RVM. They almost had to do something strong after the two acts previous. Sound was off in some songs, but hey, they probably didn't get much rehearsal. Anytime you get to see Ed is special, doesn't mean every time is the shit though. Maybe just a little spoiled after seeing them multiple times over the last year being for CA. Hoping for next summer, but not counting on it. Did I mention Billy Strings?
    LOL...I too have seen all the Ohanas and I'm on opposite end...Billy Strings, meh..he's very very talented but after 1 song/jam I'm done. If he plays NOLA Jazz Fest I'd stay for a song then move on to another stage. ANd Jack White....he didn't overly impress me. I loved Stevie and the winner of the weekend that I saw (Fri/Sat) was Mike Campbell and Dirty Knobs. Of course Earthlings set was insane, they were playing possessed. Hunger Strike was a moment for me. Off to Vegas I go now...
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Stove said:
    Yeah, that is weird.  I think you and I are talking about different things.  
    That's a separate thread altogether...the "people zooming in to get a blurry picture of Ed watching music with his family is weird thread"
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    DEGBTI said:
    LOL...I too have seen all the Ohanas and I'm on opposite end...Billy Strings, meh..he's very very talented but after 1 song/jam I'm done. If he plays NOLA Jazz Fest I'd stay for a song then move on to another stage. ANd Jack White....he didn't overly impress me. I loved Stevie and the winner of the weekend that I saw (Fri/Sat) was Mike Campbell and Dirty Knobs. Of course Earthlings set was insane, they were playing possessed. Hunger Strike was a moment for me. Off to Vegas I go now...

Mike Campbell shreds live. Wouldn't know it unless you see him play. Saw TP once with PJ. Was blown away by him. 
  • Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    ontheroad said:
    Haven’t been fortunate to attend an Ohana yet, but this article lauds the lineup/wknd and the performers’ reverence for Ed.  (For any that saw the other bands I’d love to hear who else gave props). 

P!nk was giving some pretty big praise. She talked about listening to and absolutely loving Ten as a kid and she said “When Eddie Vedder asks you to come sing…..you damn well come sing”

And, it was brought up there were no Ed collaborations aside from Stevie Nicks. I very much noticed this and in fact was telling friends On Sunday we would see Ed come and play with multiple artists. I was super surprised it didn’t happen, also really surprised Jack White didn’t come out for RITFW (which I think he did once at a festival in Europe?) It would have been pretty fucking bad ass to see EV and JW share the stage.