Ohana Festival, Doheny Beach, CA
10/01/22
Setlist

Band Onstage 8:32
Band Offstage 10:30

01. Rearviewmirror
02. The Dark
03. Invincible
04. Room At The Top-(Petty) with Mike Campbell {The song is stopped to address an issue in the crowd}
05. The Waiting
06. Brother The Cloud
{Ed talks about some a crazy audience member}
07. Long Way
{Ed mentions his mom}
08. The Haves (wants a light turned off)
{Talks about finding Doheny Beach as a place to hold this festival.  It was also the first place Ed ever caught a wave}
09. I’m One-(Townshend)
10. Try
11. Timeless Melody-(L.A. Mavers)
{Tribute to Ryan}
12.  Fallout Today
13.  I Got Shit/Cinnamon Girl-(Young)
14. Chad-O (drum solo)
15. Rose Of Jericho
16. Dirty Frank
17. Lukin
18. Come Together jam/intro to Porch {band jams as Ed gets things off his chest}
19. Porch

Thanks Lori (sp?) from the parks department and others

20. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
21. Hunger Strike-(Cornell) Andrew Watt sings Chris’ parts
22. Rocking In The Free World-(Young)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    yoyoyoyo France Posts: 310
    Great setlist ! hunger strike ! Cant wait to see it in Europe !
    1996-PARIS
    2000-PARIS
    2006-ANVERS-MARSEILLE-PARIS
    2007-LONDRES-NIJMEGEN-WERCHTER
    2008-ED SOLO-LOS ANGELES1-LOS ANGELES2
    2009-LONDRES
    2010-DUBLIN-ARRAS
    2012-AMSTERDAM1-ARRAS-STOCKHOLM-OSLO-COPENHAGUE
    2014-MILAN
    2017-ED SOLO-AMSTERDAM1
    2018-ROME
    2022-PARIS-AMSTERDAM1(Canceled)-AMSTERDAM2
    2024-BERLIN1-BERLIN2-BARCELONE1-BARCELONE2
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Fantastic show tonight! Eddie sounded awesome and the setlist was a nice mix of everything. Andrew killed it on Hunger Strike.

Highlights were RVM to open, Invincible, Brother the Cloud, Hunger, I Got ID and The Waiting (beautiful version). I'll do longer review later.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    airblue1airblue1 Posts: 401
    Okay. Let's get at it. I did GA for this show. Not my fave for my guy but I live super close and just want to see EV rock out. I must first say Jack White brought it. The question from old men in the bleachers was how can EV meet that energy. Well I think he nailed it Rearviewmirror. Sick Start after White, Almost like a check mate. I am not the guy to ask about PJ or EV reviews. After covid anytime with EV and PJ is a blessing. I will say EV wanted it tonight you could tell from the setlist and his energy. He came to bring the noise. Kinda cool. When I was younger I would critic the band and show. With age I feel privileged to simply hear the man. Thank you EV thank you for Ohana. We are a privileged group and I am thankful and faithful.  
    Hail To the Victors
    I refer to those in front...
  • Options
    Looks like a good one.  Sad to not have been able to go this time.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Ed always brings it at Ohana. Curious to hear how people like Stevie Nicks and Billy Strings.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Ed always brings it at Ohana. Curious to hear how people like Stevie Nicks and Billy Strings.
    Billy Strings was the highlight of the day yesterday outside of Eddie. Simply amazing group of musicians to watch and listen to. Loved every second of his set.

I was surprised Jack White did not come out to play with Eddie at all. I was really hoping Of the Earth would make an appearance.
  • Options
    airblue1 said:
    Okay. Let's get at it. I did GA for this show. Not my fave for my guy but I live super close and just want to see EV rock out. I must first say Jack White brought it. The question from old men in the bleachers was how can EV meet that energy. Well I think he nailed it Rearviewmirror. Sick Start after White, Almost like a check mate. I am not the guy to ask about PJ or EV reviews. After covid anytime with EV and PJ is a blessing. I will say EV wanted it tonight you could tell from the setlist and his energy. He came to bring the noise. Kinda cool. When I was younger I would critic the band and show. With age I feel privileged to simply hear the man. Thank you EV thank you for Ohana. We are a privileged group and I am thankful and faithful.  
    For sure. Eddie seemed a bit pissed and they really brought it on the heavier songs. Whatever happened with that woman in the front he kept referencing must have been bizarre. He mentioned to Chad that he thought it was the same woman who got in to their dressing room earlier.

Anyway, something must have happened to his guitar near the end of Porch because he started kicking it and looked like he might smash it, but then he just threw it up in the air and slung it around on the stage and then basically dragged it off with him.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,594
    The woman pushed her way up and was drunk and was screaming for “Alive”. Eddie was giving his emotional speech about Brother the Cloud and she was screaming stupid shit back at him. When the song began she flipped and rushed a diagonal to the rail. People who had been there all day got pissed and pushed her back. She spilled her beer all over a woman who started pushing her back. Security had to physically pull her out of the pit. Eddie mentioned she was the same lady in dressing room he saw just ten minutes before. He started a little late, wondering now if it was because of her crashing the backstage? He called her a lunatic and crazy. More to the story?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Billy Strings was the highlight of the day yesterday outside of Eddie. Simply amazing group of musicians to watch and listen to. Loved every second of his set.

I was surprised Jack White did not come out to play with Eddie at all. I was really hoping Of the Earth would make an appearance.
    Glad to hear Billy and Co brought the heat.  They are my favorite young band to see right now.  Every show is an absolute scorcher.  He played In Hiding the first time I ever saw him years ago in a club and I still get goosebumps thinking about it.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    The woman pushed her way up and was drunk and was screaming for “Alive”. Eddie was giving his emotional speech about Brother the Cloud and she was screaming stupid shit back at him. When the song began she flipped and rushed a diagonal to the rail. People who had been there all day got pissed and pushed her back. She spilled her beer all over a woman who started pushing her back. Security had to physically pull her out of the pit. Eddie mentioned she was the same lady in dressing room he saw just ten minutes before. He started a little late, wondering now if it was because of her crashing the backstage? He called her a lunatic and crazy. More to the story?
    May be the crazy woman from Lukin? 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    Got a finger cut with a tambourine! :)

• Options
    Maybe she inspired that intense version of Lukin last night?
  • Options
    jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    Manchester Orchestra was incredible, needed more time. No disrespect to Eddie, but Jack White should have been the headliner and got more time too. 2 hours was a bit long for Earthlings and I felt they were losing the crowd a bit at times as a lot of people left. I didn’t see anyone leave last year with PJ. That being said, they sounded great, just a few too many unfamiliar songs for some people. Opening with RVM was intense. Hunger Strike was a nice addition. Another great day at Ohana. 
  • Options
    She seemed pretty young..maybe early 20s. Hope it’s not a new one….
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Honestly, I was not happy when EV added the Earthlings to the lineup after the announcement/ticket sale. 

EV wants a new band and wants to promote it to his fans and PJ fans, I get it. The Earthlings album is fine and the covers they choose to play are great. However, Pearl Jam is still an active band, they just played last week, and it is odd that Earthlings shows seem like a glorified cover band of Pearl Jam at times. EV could play complete shows of his material or The Earthlings without an issue, so why cover Pearl Jam songs while the band is actively touring? 
    Hunger Strike... it was good but, that song, that album, that whole thing is about Andrew Wood and Temple of the Dog. Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, Chris, Ed, etc. NOT The Earthlings. Andrew Watt sounded good and all but that band is not really worthy of just throwing that song in rotation. EV was in the process of telling a story about Taylor Hawkins and then cut it short to fit in Hunger Strike, it was odd. No dedication to Chris or Taylor or any discussion on why they played it.

I am sure people will not agree with this but I think some will.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited October 2022
    Ed Vedder, the lead singer of Pearl Jam, sings Pearl Jam songs with different musicians and it’s considered a cover ?  Ed and the same musicians aren’t worthy of playing hunger strike? Weird.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774
    Jack White Killed it.

Earthlings were 🔥 

nuf said 
  • Options
    edoconedocon Posts: 308
    It was a good show. Jack White brought the energy and his band was tight.

I was up front and center. Ed was clearly irritated by the lighting situation. Earlier in the evening the lights directed on him were too bright, but during Porch when he he was looking for a spotlight to redirect off his guitar to shine on the audience,  he couldn't locate one. This led to him unplugging the guitar and kicking, hitting, dragging,  tossing it, etc. In minor frustration.  

The Eathlings were decent but a little off at times. A few times Ed looked back at Chad to implore him to pickup the tempo when he was dragging a little. Hunger Strike was a surprise, however they missed the timing on the bridge/outro sections. 

Billy Strings is a talented flat picker. For someone who doesn't appreciate bluegrass it gets repetitive once the "see how fast I can play" novelty wears off, which can happen on a 30 minute song with few lyrics. 
  • Options
    StoveStove Posts: 316
    tbergs said:
    Get_Right said:

Those chaps BROUGHT THE BLUEGRASS
  • Options
    dmbolp said:
    Got a finger cut with a tambourine! :)

I saw that! Nice job mate!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    jfconnorjr said:
    Honestly, I was not happy when EV added the Earthlings to the lineup after the announcement/ticket sale. 

EV wants a new band and wants to promote it to his fans and PJ fans, I get it. The Earthlings album is fine and the covers they choose to play are great. However, Pearl Jam is still an active band, they just played last week, and it is odd that Earthlings shows seem like a glorified cover band of Pearl Jam at times. EV could play complete shows of his material or The Earthlings without an issue, so why cover Pearl Jam songs while the band is actively touring? 
    Hunger Strike... it was good but, that song, that album, that whole thing is about Andrew Wood and Temple of the Dog. Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, Chris, Ed, etc. NOT The Earthlings. Andrew Watt sounded good and all but that band is not really worthy of just throwing that song in rotation. EV was in the process of telling a story about Taylor Hawkins and then cut it short to fit in Hunger Strike, it was odd. No dedication to Chris or Taylor or any discussion on why they played it.

I am sure people will not agree with this but I think some will.

I 100% agree with this and it gives me weird vibes. Most of the PJ songs were Ed penned I believe. I as well do not like the idea of Vedderfoot playing PJ songs though, like if they did Evenflow, Black (which they have done) anything written by another member...it's like where are the PJ lads? This isn't Pearl Jam. I honestly think I would be more okay with them doing more covers then dipping into Non-Ed written PJ catalogue. 
      I saw Jakob Dylan many years ago and it was billed as Jakob Dylan back when he was doing an outing with his own solo work. And there was this person next to me just wanting them to play One Headlight , and surprise they didn't play it. They played a song off Bringing Down The Horse (Three Marlenas) but not the Wallflowers biggest hit. And that was a conscious decision. Because it wasn't the Wallflowers, it was Jakob Dylan and Co. 
      Now at the end of the day it is ED Ved and the Earthlings , and he can call the shots & it's a fine line. And who knows maybe if other PJ band members get a cut of whichever songs they played that they wrote maybe it's all good.
       I just posted about the Andrew Watt Hunger Strike issue. Let me know what you thing!
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ed Vedder, the lead singer of Pearl Jam, sings Pearl Jam songs with different musicians and it’s considered a cover ?  Ed and the same musicians aren’t worthy of playing hunger strike? Weird.  
    So Boom should be able to play whatever Pearl Jam song he wants with whomever?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sure, why not?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is that really a serious comment? Someone is suggesting that Eddie Vedder can’t play Pearl Jam songs whenever and wherever he wants? That’s beyond absurd. 

For my money, I love the Earthling shows. I thought last night was fantastic, though the band definitely had some rust and was probably in need of more rehearsal that they didn’t have time for. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is that really a serious comment? Someone is suggesting that Eddie Vedder can’t play Pearl Jam songs whenever and wherever he wants? That’s beyond absurd. 

For my money, I love the Earthling shows. I thought last night was fantastic, though the band definitely had some rust and was probably in need of more rehearsal that they didn’t have time for. 
    Not what I said. You're not understanding it from a songwriter/ownership perspective. Pearl Jam songs are PEARL JAM songs. Not just Eddie. Eddie didn't write all the Pearl Jam songs.  Chances are your favs were written by someone other than Eddie. :|
    Post edited by Stove on
  • Options
    Ed wrote RVM, I Got Shit, Lukin, Porch, Hungerstrike is a Temple song, so they are his songs tbh. Dirty Frank fits with Chad’s drumming style.
    Not having Glen hurt with his solo stuff like Society, or Without You. He played no Into the Wild.
    On the flip side, people would be so pissed if Wd played NO Pearl Jam songs…..
    Andrew Watt rocked. Privileged to see him play with Ed.
  • Options
    Ed and earthlings rocked. Saturday was awesome.  I’ve done Ohana since 2017 I think. What I noticed this year was the absence of Ed through out the festival. In the past it seems like he pops up surprisingly throughout. This year he opened then did a song with Stevie. That’s it. Any other “ long time” Ohana folks notice that?
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 492
    Stove said:
    Luckytwn1 said:
    Stove said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Not what I said. You're not understanding it from a songwriter/ownership perspective. Pearl Jam songs are PEARL JAM songs. Not just Eddie. Eddie didn't write all the Pearl Jam songs.  Chances are your favs were written by someone other than Eddie. :|
    I’ve been a 10C member for 30 years. Please tell me
    more about who wrote the songs. 

Which doesn’t even matter anyway. Any artist can play any song they want at a show as Pearl Jam demonstrates all the time and to say that Eddie can’t play his own songs or a song written by Stone or another band member is not only absurd, it shows a complete misunderstanding of the art in general. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited October 2022
    PJ fans will always complain.  Complaining about seeing Ed at Ohana is like saying my caviar was fishy.  
    EDIT: Seeing Ed COVER Stopping Dragging my Heart Around with Stevie Nicks would have made my weekend.
    Post edited by Get_Right on
  • Options
      I just posted about the Andrew Watt Hunger Strike issue. Let me know what you thing!
    Came to the board this morning to catch up on the festival and found out we have a Hunger Strike “Issue”.