Remembering Ohana 2021

Can’t make this year’s edition but remembering an amazing time last year as the return to live music combined with a great group of people and a wonderful setting for a truly incredible time.  

Shout out to 

@PJNB
@lmckenney24
@tish
@jfburkeiii

Among others…

Whoever is there this time, say hi to the ocean.  
PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023

Comments

• Encore was a blast, minus me tearing my calf N2 lol
  • Loved Encore weekend! The music, the ocean, hiking Saturday morning. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Had so much fun at Encore last year. Wish we could of made it this year too. If next year is a light touring year for Pearl Jam we definitely would go back. 
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Did both, can’t make it this year

will go again… it’s the best
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Last year was an absolute blast!! Have fun, everyone!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831
    PJNB said:
    Had so much fun at Encore last year. Wish we could of made it this year too. If next year is a light touring year for Pearl Jam we definitely would go back. 
    Thinking the same. Wife and I already saw Jack White 2x, EV 2x and Stevie Nicks this year, so tough to convince ourselves to break the bank on traveling for this. But hoping for a good lineup again in 2023 to motivate us to come back.
  • Will 2023 be back at Dana Point? I thought I recalled reading somewhere that it might move to another beach.

As for 2021, I was there Sat & Sun for the first weekend. Not by coincidence I spun the Sun bootleg last night. I thought the Retrograde opener was just killer. Brandi Carlisle helping out on Better Man was fun as well.

Eddie solo opening Sat with Don't Be Shy (Cat Stevens) was absolutely just perfect. I was only about 5 rows out from the stage. One of my fondest music memories, ever.
  • That was a lot of fun...we stayed in San Clemente for the first weekend then hit Santa Monica during the week and back to San Clemente for the Encore.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    And that rogue wave at Laguna that took out your phone in your pocket and you being chill in the hotel printing off your papers to travel... n walkin us girls to the show where NB offered a saved seat. Such a relaxed vibe in that seaside town!

And the version of Rockin' in the Free World wherein a guest singer stood up for women's right to choose abortion with her lyric embellishments... with Hawkins, Smith, and MFC!

https://youtu.be/p1nN9zNM7uw

And hearing The Story, how gorgeous is that love?
  • What a magical weekend the encore was. My first 2 PJ shows. Beck. Brandi. NHC. Matt joining for Keep Yourself Alive. PJ's first set starting out with Low Light.I Am Mine, the perfect catharsis after 2 years of pandemic. Premiere of Buckle Up and Who Ever Said, already destined to be a live monster. Sweet Lew with Ed and Josh on basketballs. That incredible intense RVM. Opening with SBWM into All Night for night 2. "Not For You" for anyone listening on the beach. Wasted Reprise into actual real Life Wasted! 

Won't ever forget it.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    Weekend 1 here.  Such a glorious time on the beach.  Hiding in the bushes during the rain to avoid leaving the venue. Such a great amount of live music  Regrettes, Caamp, Black Pumas, MMJ, and surprise, the Earthlings with Pino. Backseat Lovers, Mac Demarco (part comedy show), Spoon, Cold war kids, Maggie Rogers, Earthlings! Pearl Jam!!!  After party at the Rib Joint!!!! Really hope to get back to this festival one day.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Get_Right said:
    Weekend 1 here.  Such a glorious time on the beach.  Hiding in the bushes during the rain to avoid leaving the venue. Such a great amount of live music  Regrettes, Caamp, Black Pumas, MMJ, and surprise, the Earthlings with Pino. Backseat Lovers, Mac Demarco (part comedy show), Spoon, Cold war kids, Maggie Rogers, Earthlings! Pearl Jam!!!  After party at the Rib Joint!!!! Really hope to get back to this festival one day.  
    Yup. The whole lineup was fantastic. I'm so glad we went early so we could enjoy all of the bands. We almost went back this year, but life stuff got in the way. Hoping to go back next year.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,783
    mfc2006 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Yup. The whole lineup was fantastic. I'm so glad we went early so we could enjoy all of the bands. We almost went back this year, but life stuff got in the way. Hoping to go back next year.

Same, we went early every day. And same here this year, cannot justify the expense due to life stuff. 
  • mfc2006 said:
    Get_Right said:
    I remember liking Demarco a bit more after watching him at Ohana. I had seen him in Indy a few years back and couldn't stand him. He basically sang the same phrase over and over for about 10 minutes to end his show. I can't remember who he opened for but he was annoying as hell.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,441
    Can’t make it this year unfortunately, but I went to encore last year and had the time of my life! Couldn’t have imagined a more perfect place to experience and celebrate the rebirth of life music after the insanity of the last two years. Doheny is probably the nicest place I’ve ever seen live music. I also loved the chill vibe of the festival all weekend. Flew in solo from NJ and met so many awesome people, some of whom I actually traveled with to PJ shows this year. I got there early each day and was second row behind the rail, which was an incredible experience. Such a great lineup of music each day. On day two, got a pick from Dave Navarro during NHC’s performance (which now makes me sad every time I look at it), and later got a pick from Mike during porch. Highlights for me were getting to hear a lot of new stuff from Gigaton, the low light opener on night 1, sweet lew with Ed and Josh dribbling around, that incredible version of garden, that blazing version of RVM, the fast opening of night 2 with SBWM- all night- last exit, NFY, smile, and that amazing version of RITFW to close with Taylor hawkins, chad smith, etc. A weekend I will never forget. Sad I can’t make it this year, but hope to be there again soon. Here are some pics from last year:

• I’m seconding the quality of Garden and RVM at that show.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,893
    Encore! My first Ohana experience. Great location and not an overly massive crowd like many festivals. Awesome to see PJ back to back nights after such a long hiatus. Beck and others were excellent as well 
  • Saw all three nights of the first weekend. We didn't plan to see night 1, but we read about the lightning delay just before getting to the grapevine on the 5 and started to think it might be possible... We made it in time... Just enough time to ditch our bags and car at the hotel and buy tickets out front. Was a great weekend and amazing to get back to some normalcy after a hard go of it. 
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013 | Los Angeles, CA 11-23-2013 | Oakland, CA 11-26-2013 | St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014 | Bridge School 10-25-2014 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL 04-08-2016 | Miami, FL 04-09-2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/11/2016 | TOTD San Francisco, CA 11/12/2016 | Seattle, WA 08-08-2018 | Seattle, WA 08-10-2018 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-24-2021 | EV & The Earthlings Ohana 09-25-2021 | Ohana 09-26-2021 | Los Angeles, CA 05-06-2022 | Los Angeles, CA 05-07-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-12-2022 | Oakland, CA 05-13-2022 | Austin, TX 09-18-2023 | Austin, TX 09-19-2023 Next: Sacramento, CA 05-13-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-16-2024 | Las Vegas, NV 05-18-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-21-2024 | Los Angeles, CA 05-22-2024
  • Saw all three nights of the first weekend. We didn't plan to see night 1, but we read about the lightning delay just before getting to the grapevine on the 5 and started to think it might be possible... We made it in time... Just enough time to ditch our bags and car at the hotel and buy tickets out front. Was a great weekend and amazing to get back to some normalcy after a hard go of it. 
    That Friday night, the extra Ed show due to the KOL sad news, I didn’t plan to go, didn’t have a ticket, and in fact was on a side trip to San Diego.  Between the lineup change and the delay, I made it back in time to hear Ed’s set from the beach (aka the ticket not required zone)! Don’t worry, I paid for the other 4 nights as well as previous Ohanas.  One free set seemed warranted.  Sad to have a conflict this weekend.  

• I've wanted to go to Ohana for a while and when Encore was announced with Pearl Jam both nights jumped on it right away. Might be my favorite Pearl Jam experience ever. I loved it so much. Between the different setting, the other music, all the Pear Jam fans around as always, getting a show for the first time in four years, it was just a fantastic experience.