Quiet Quitting

Comments

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    I hate this term, "quiet quitting"
    As I understand it, it is not actually quitting.  It is consciously doing the absolute bare minimum 

I agree with the VP of HR.  If you don't like your job  nobody is forcing you to stay.  There are so many options for people who want to work that I don't think it is good for people to stay somewhere they don't like and to put up something like this quiet quitting flag.

Have you looked around to see what other jobs may he open for you?  Perhaps there are options which might make you happier, or at least not joining a mass of people celebrating doing just enough.

To each their own, but I will not ever work at something where I don't give my all.  I don't have it in me.  Go 100% at everything I do, it is the only way I could ever be.

Hope you can find happiness in your work, or at least something more than you feel now.
    I don't like the term either, but it's what's in the lexicon. 

the VP of HR can shove it. she's not there to say "you don't like it, there's the fucking door". she's there to listen to ideas on how to improve the corp. that is literally her fucking job. 

I don't dislike my job. I dislike the current culture. Culture can change. And it should change if the majority of the staff want it to. If they want to be a successful business that isn't wasting tens of thousands on turnover (ever heard the phrase "it's costlier to hire than to retain"?), then they are currently failing. 
    I still think the term is silly.  There are lots of things people say that I feel that way about.

Also disagree on what the job of a VP of HR is, as you describe your understanding of it.  Same on the majority of staff wanting something meaning it should be the case.  

Yes, I've heard the phrase you quoted but I've also heard the phrase "slow to hire, quick to fire", indicating how important it is to put the right people in place and hit eject as soon as someone is a problem.  

Up to you on what you do, which is great for you.  Sounds like they don't fire and provide amazing benefits.  The idea that this company pays people for 6 weeks of PTO sounds crazy, to me, but that seems great for the workers and culture.  Perhaps in Canada this is commonplace....it sure isn't here in the US 
    Pension is also not something common here, any longer.  Sounds like they take good care of their people.  

The people I know who have these types of perks are mostly union workers here.  They often have the power to try and force what workers feel onto ownership. 

Good luck with the culture change.
    they do fire, actually, which is a nice change from the last regime. our last HR director was scared shitless of firing anyone because of one lawsuit that didn't go the corp's way, so she'd never sign off on it. it was awful. that's one thing I'll give the HR VP: her motto is "HR doesn't hire and doesn't fire, that's up to the leaders, and we help them along the way". Loads of trash was taken out the first couple years after that change. 

that's her job as far as executive has mandated as part of our mission statement. 

we start at 3 weeks vacation. it goes up after that by one week at different intervals; I'll be at 25 years next summer at 6 weeks. Managers get an extra week in lieu of OT pay. Our pension is defined benefit, which rocks. so yes, those are good things, but we also tend to pay right on the 50th percentile or a tad lower, so there's a balance there. 

basically our executive team has adopted a "personal accountability" mandate along with "it's not our fault; it' a BOD decision" so they are basically immune from criticism and responsibility where it comes to staffing issues. it's a cop out. 
    I’ve seen structural shifts in HR over the last 10-15 years.

HR at least in my experience use to be the employee advocate to management and acted as the check on management’s unilateral decisions.  

Today they are more of a tool of management in order to carry out decisions based on management interests solely 

If I wanted to fire someone it use to be a fight with HR. That fight was probably good because I needed a solid, documented reason. Today it’s more like “sure do what you want” 

an employee use to go to HR if they had an issue with management. Today they don’t because HR is management.  That’s only if your HR isn’t outsourced which a lot are. So then you’ve got a 1-800 phone number to call to complain to some third party who doesn’t do anything. They just answer benefit questions 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    As I understand it, it is not actually quitting.  It is consciously doing the absolute bare minimum 

I agree with the VP of HR.  If you don't like your job  nobody is forcing you to stay.  There are so many options for people who want to work that I don't think it is good for people to stay somewhere they don't like and to put up something like this quiet quitting flag.

Have you looked around to see what other jobs may he open for you?  Perhaps there are options which might make you happier, or at least not joining a mass of people celebrating doing just enough.

To each their own, but I will not ever work at something where I don't give my all.  I don't have it in me.  Go 100% at everything I do, it is the only way I could ever be.

Hope you can find happiness in your work, or at least something more than you feel now.

the VP of HR can shove it. she's not there to say "you don't like it, there's the fucking door". she's there to listen to ideas on how to improve the corp. that is literally her fucking job. 

I don't dislike my job. I dislike the current culture. Culture can change. And it should change if the majority of the staff want it to. If they want to be a successful business that isn't wasting tens of thousands on turnover (ever heard the phrase "it's costlier to hire than to retain"?), then they are currently failing. 
    I still think the term is silly.  There are lots of things people say that I feel that way about.

Also disagree on what the job of a VP of HR is, as you describe your understanding of it.  Same on the majority of staff wanting something meaning it should be the case.  

Yes, I've heard the phrase you quoted but I've also heard the phrase "slow to hire, quick to fire", indicating how important it is to put the right people in place and hit eject as soon as someone is a problem.  

Up to you on what you do, which is great for you.  Sounds like they don't fire and provide amazing benefits.  The idea that this company pays people for 6 weeks of PTO sounds crazy, to me, but that seems great for the workers and culture.  Perhaps in Canada this is commonplace....it sure isn't here in the US 
    Pension is also not something common here, any longer.  Sounds like they take good care of their people.  

The people I know who have these types of perks are mostly union workers here.  They often have the power to try and force what workers feel onto ownership. 

they do fire, actually, which is a nice change from the last regime. our last HR director was scared shitless of firing anyone because of one lawsuit that didn't go the corp's way, so she'd never sign off on it. it was awful. that's one thing I'll give the HR VP: her motto is "HR doesn't hire and doesn't fire, that's up to the leaders, and we help them along the way". Loads of trash was taken out the first couple years after that change. 

that's her job as far as executive has mandated as part of our mission statement. 

we start at 3 weeks vacation. it goes up after that by one week at different intervals; I'll be at 25 years next summer at 6 weeks. Managers get an extra week in lieu of OT pay. Our pension is defined benefit, which rocks. so yes, those are good things, but we also tend to pay right on the 50th percentile or a tad lower, so there's a balance there. 

basically our executive team has adopted a "personal accountability" mandate along with "it's not our fault; it' a BOD decision" so they are basically immune from criticism and responsibility where it comes to staffing issues. it's a cop out. 

HR at least in my experience use to be the employee advocate to management and acted as the check on management’s unilateral decisions.  

Today they are more of a tool of management in order to carry out decisions based on management interests solely 

If I wanted to fire someone it use to be a fight with HR. That fight was probably good because I needed a solid, documented reason. Today it’s more like “sure do what you want” 

an employee use to go to HR if they had an issue with management. Today they don’t because HR is management.  That’s only if your HR isn’t outsourced which a lot are. So then you’ve got a 1-800 phone number to call to complain to some third party who doesn’t do anything. They just answer benefit questions 
    this was something that struck me as well. during the pandemic, I had an issue with a decision that was being made about coming to the office when it wasn't needed, and asked repeatedly for clarification as to why. I kept getting stupid double speak, and sometimes I can speak quite candidly in print and in person if I have a dissatisfaction with an answer. A week or so later, after I had let it go and thought it was a done issue, my cowardly manager says to me "come with me for a sec" and he takes me to the board room where I was ambushed by MY HR REP. My cowardly manager said nothing the entire time. She started talking to me about my tone in emails. I just kept looking at him and he was still silent. My HR rep was acting as if I was being disciplined by her, which isn't under her authority to do so (it was bizarre to say the least). So after that meeting, I took it to her manager and asked WTF was that. First off, my manager never even had the balls to talk to me directly if he had an issue with how I spoke to him. Second, I thought my HR rep was to be MY support in any conflicts with management, not HIS. 

I got the runaround with that too. So you're right in that HR used to be the employee advocate, and that has changed. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I hate this term, "quiet quitting"

this was something that struck me as well. during the pandemic, I had an issue with a decision that was being made about coming to the office when it wasn't needed, and asked repeatedly for clarification as to why. I kept getting stupid double speak, and sometimes I can speak quite candidly in print and in person if I have a dissatisfaction with an answer. A week or so later, after I had let it go and thought it was a done issue, my cowardly manager says to me "come with me for a sec" and he takes me to the board room where I was ambushed by MY HR REP. My cowardly manager said nothing the entire time. She started talking to me about my tone in emails. I just kept looking at him and he was still silent. My HR rep was acting as if I was being disciplined by her, which isn't under her authority to do so (it was bizarre to say the least). So after that meeting, I took it to her manager and asked WTF was that. First off, my manager never even had the balls to talk to me directly if he had an issue with how I spoke to him. Second, I thought my HR rep was to be MY support in any conflicts with management, not HIS. 

I got the runaround with that too. So you're right in that HR used to be the employee advocate, and that has changed. 
    Never go to HR. They only exist for the benefit of the organization and senior management. I know you didn't go to them and were ambushed but HRs have been subsumed as another profit center for corporate. If it ever gets to a point of the BS, as you described, contact an employment attorney. Its not a bad practice to request a copy of your personnel file on an annual basis, just to keep them "honest."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Hi! said:

I knew this guy years ago who would say, "When it comes to making a living, I'm looking for the path of least resistance." 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022

Never go to HR. They only exist for the benefit of the organization and senior management. I know you didn't go to them and were ambushed but HRs have been subsumed as another profit center for corporate. If it ever gets to a point of the BS, as you described, contact an employment attorney. Its not a bad practice to request a copy of your personnel file on an annual basis, just to keep them "honest."
    Unless you work in a government job, good luck 

I’ve never once been allowed to give an employee a copy of theirs. seeing it, maybe but definitely no copies 

I don’t think you even have to let them see it though 

in a lawsuit I suppose you could get it as part of the discovery process 

HR doesn’t even keep files any more. It’s direct managers who are in possession. So you have an issue you have to get it from the one person who doesn’t want you to have it. That’s also a change in HR that I’ve seen, to add on to what I said upthread.  Besides being there to make sure a manager doesn’t actively break any employment related laws, that’s all they do  
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I’m retiring next year! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    I’m retiring next year! 

Congratulations!  But keep busy- it will keep you young!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• I’m retiring next year! 
    Just don’t tell them

see how long you keep getting paid 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    😀
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    so get this...I go to HR for some inoncuous thing...the manager asks me if I had a minute, to come into her office to have a chat...she says she's noticed that I've been applying for a very diverse set of jobs internally, and wanted to know if it was my job or my leadership that was making me unhappy...I said it's about 80/20 management/job. she said I just confirmed what she already knew, and wants to work with my director to help coach my manager on proper leadership qualities, as she wants me to be happy in my job and wants to decrease the effect of "quiet quitting" at the corporation. lol

do what you want. they're both hopeless. my director doesn't give two shits about my manager's ineptness when it comes to leadership as long as he's got him under his thumb (which he does). and my manager is a hopeless idiot. 

but it was nice to finally be heard and vindicating to know that leadership in the corporation are aware of my leaders' ineffectiveness. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    so get this...I go to HR for some inoncuous thing...the manager asks me if I had a minute, to come into her office to have a chat...she says she's noticed that I've been applying for a very diverse set of jobs internally, and wanted to know if it was my job or my leadership that was making me unhappy...I said it's about 80/20 management/job. she said I just confirmed what she already knew, and wants to work with my director to help coach my manager on proper leadership qualities, as she wants me to be happy in my job and wants to decrease the effect of "quiet quitting" at the corporation. lol

do what you want. they're both hopeless. my director doesn't give two shits about my manager's ineptness when it comes to leadership as long as he's got him under his thumb (which he does). and my manager is a hopeless idiot. 

but it was nice to finally be heard and vindicating to know that leadership in the corporation are aware of my leaders' ineffectiveness. 
    good deal...that's rare
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    This is an interesting thread.  I’ve been in restaurants since I was a kid.  Haven’t ever had a paid hour off, never had a sick day paid or whatever it’s called, I pretty much get paid to work and I don’t mind it that way.  I did have a 401k for a bit when I was personal chef for the Fidelity CEO but that was it for benefits. I figure if I’m not working, why should I get paid.  It’s helped create my work ethic, of which I’ve only met about two other people (also chefs) who are like me.  I’ve worked until 4am, laid on the floor of the kitchen, woken up at 9 and worked again until midnight or later.  I’ve showed up at jobs and the chef has been asleep in a booth from the night before.  

I worked/ran multiple restaurants during the pandemic, we never closed at all. I never caught covid. This year I’ve had a handful of days off, usually one or two every few months.  I did take a week off for a vacation back in July but I didn’t pay myself while I was gone, didn’t think that was right as the chef/owner.

everyones probably thinking two things: 1) this guy’s an asshole 2) I wonder how he treats his employees.  We’ll I’ll tell ya- yeah I’m probably an asshole but I have a distinct pride in being a chef and in what I do. I know I won’t be able to
    do it forever, but working 90 hour weeks is ingrained in me and I like it that way.  Almost every person I’ve had work for me or I’ve worked for has been shocked at my ability to outwork everyone else in the place, and that’s gotten me lots of appreciation and success  2) I have staff who have been with me for over ten years.  I’ve paid for Spanish or English classes for 8 folks now.  It helps them in more ways than working for me. I’ve lent $20k to a woman’s family who is from Mexico City over the years because I’ve felt it was justified.  She still owes some, but I don’t take it out of her check, she pays when she can.  I start folks at $20/hr and they make tips usually around $5-$7/hr which is pooled. I don’t believe in a living wage, but I do believe people should be paid what they’re worth, and they’re worth that to
    me.  

I feel food should be a lot more expensive, and those preparing it should be treated better.  It’s an essential part of life, yet they are often the lowest paid folks out there.  
    anyway, I thought the thread was interesting, so I wanted to share.  Gotta go back
    to work. Peace.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    This is an interesting thread.  I’ve been in restaurants since I was a kid.  Haven’t ever had a paid hour off, never had a sick day paid or whatever it’s called, I pretty much get paid to work and I don’t mind it that way.  I did have a 401k for a bit when I was personal chef for the Fidelity CEO but that was it for benefits. I figure if I’m not working, why should I get paid.  It’s helped create my work ethic, of which I’ve only met about two other people (also chefs) who are like me.  I’ve worked until 4am, laid on the floor of the kitchen, woken up at 9 and worked again until midnight or later.  I’ve showed up at jobs and the chef has been asleep in a booth from the night before.  

I worked/ran multiple restaurants during the pandemic, we never closed at all. I never caught covid. This year I’ve had a handful of days off, usually one or two every few months.  I did take a week off for a vacation back in July but I didn’t pay myself while I was gone, didn’t think that was right as the chef/owner.

everyones probably thinking two things: 1) this guy’s an asshole 2) I wonder how he treats his employees.  We’ll I’ll tell ya- yeah I’m probably an asshole but I have a distinct pride in being a chef and in what I do. I know I won’t be able to
    do it forever, but working 90 hour weeks is ingrained in me and I like it that way.  Almost every person I’ve had work for me or I’ve worked for has been shocked at my ability to outwork everyone else in the place, and that’s gotten me lots of appreciation and success  2) I have staff who have been with me for over ten years.  I’ve paid for Spanish or English classes for 8 folks now.  It helps them in more ways than working for me. I’ve lent $20k to a woman’s family who is from Mexico City over the years because I’ve felt it was justified.  She still owes some, but I don’t take it out of her check, she pays when she can.  I start folks at $20/hr and they make tips usually around $5-$7/hr which is pooled. I don’t believe in a living wage, but I do believe people should be paid what they’re worth, and they’re worth that to
    me.  

I feel food should be a lot more expensive, and those preparing it should be treated better.  It’s an essential part of life, yet they are often the lowest paid folks out there.  
    anyway, I thought the thread was interesting, so I wanted to share.  Gotta go back
    to work. Peace.

If you have staff who have been with you over ten years, you are probably not an asshole.  People generally don't work for assholes in service industries for ten years!
    I wish I had your energy.  I've had chronic fatigue since the mid 1980's but I still pushed myself to work hard- sometimes even having two jobs at the same time- until it was no longer possible due to my age.  But even now, I still work when I can at my book and record business.  Movement is life!

brianlux said:

me.  

to work. Peace.

If you have staff who have been with you over ten years, you are probably not an asshole.  People generally don't work for assholes in service industries for ten years!
    I wish I had your energy.  I've had chronic fatigue since the mid 1980's but I still pushed myself to work hard- sometimes even having two jobs at the same time- until it was no longer possible due to my age.  But even now, I still work when I can at my book and record business.  Movement is life!
    Yeah man, you’re 71, that’s impressive! You’ve got almost 30 years on me- we’ll see what I’m doing at your age. Sttrrrooooonngggllllyyyy doubt it has anything to do with restaurants.  Life is weird, I’ve been given a lot of gifts over the years, the biggest of all has been good health.  I couldn’t do what I do if I wasn’t held together well.  My plan honestly is to work until I can’t and then spend my days doing the exact opposite of that.  Our parents (of my wife and I) are getting older and it seems like we’re in line to end up with several properties we don’t need. We’ll prob sell one or two and live off of that, but we’ve got about 20 years in the workforce left in us we figure barring any negative situation.  You remind me of my dad though, he’s 73 and still teaches 8 courses online for universities- the guy just can’t and won’t stop working.
    brianlux said:

me.  

to work. Peace.

Yeah man, you’re 71, that’s impressive! You’ve got almost 30 years on me- we’ll see what I’m doing at your age. Sttrrrooooonngggllllyyyy doubt it has anything to do with restaurants.  Life is weird, I’ve been given a lot of gifts over the years, the biggest of all has been good health.  I couldn’t do what I do if I wasn’t held together well.  My plan honestly is to work until I can’t and then spend my days doing the exact opposite of that.  Our parents (of my wife and I) are getting older and it seems like we’re in line to end up with several properties we don’t need. We’ll prob sell one or two and live off of that, but we’ve got about 20 years in the workforce left in us we figure barring any negative situation.  You remind me of my dad though, he’s 73 and still teaches 8 courses online for universities- the guy just can’t and won’t stop working.

Well done, RMB.
    73 and still teaching 8 course! Tenacious!

me.  

to work. Peace.
    working in the food industry shaped my work ethic from when I was 16. I worked like a horse from then until about 5 years ago, regardless of industry. I didn't own the places, so I didn't work when i wasn't getting paid, but I worked hard. 

I do agree that cooks have a fucking hard and underappreciated job. I know, I was a fucking good one, and I got shit for pay. The waitresses would literally cheer when I walked in the door, knowing they'd get double the tips that day of any other cook. And I would see 2% of that, if they were being honest. Which is a garbage system. 

I didn't have sick days or paid holidays from 16 until I was 35. And yeah, it didn't bother me at the time either. But it would now, since I'm coming up on 6 weeks per year and I have about 400 hours of sick time (that I don't use anyway, but it's there). 

People need time off. the mindset that you don't need holidays is toxic, if that's how you think your employees should be as well. But you didn't say that, so I shoudln't assume. 

owning your own business would obviously inform how you operate though. Yeah, I'd work 90 hour weeks too if it was my business. But now? for the industry that I work for, and the people I work for? nope. and I hardly think anyone can claim that they would just becuase that's "who they are" when they haven't lived it. 

restaurants aren't essential. But the kitchen staff should be treated better, for sure. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I don’t get days or time off because my employees take it. The places have to run 7 days a week so in a given month there’s a day or two max that others haven’t asked off that I can take.  I didn’t say it because I don’t believe it, folks should get time off.  In 12 years of owning multiple restaurants I’ve never, not once, told someone they can’t have requested time off- I fill their void.  I’ve cancelled several family vacations over the years because others asked for the same time off. I wouldn’t ever work corporate, just because it’s cushy.  That’s a cop out.  If your body works, you should work as hard as it can handle, and sitting at a desk on the internet isn’t as hard as it can handle.  I worked 90 hour weeks before i owned my own businesses by the way, that’s probably what got me into ownership: I was offered opportunities after working with a few James beard chefs and showing up before them and leaving after them.  I only posted to say my experience, not to attack you.  We’re not the same, we see things differently.  That’s ok.  The world functions perfectly fine with people of all kinds.

I don’t get days or time off because my employees take it. The places have to run 7 days a week so in a given month there’s a day or two max that others haven’t asked off that I can take.  I didn’t say it because I don’t believe it, folks should get time off.  In 12 years of owning multiple restaurants I’ve never, not once, told someone they can’t have requested time off- I fill their void.  I’ve cancelled several family vacations over the years because others asked for the same time off. I wouldn’t ever work corporate, just because it’s cushy.  That’s a cop out.  If your body works, you should work as hard as it can handle, and sitting at a desk on the internet isn’t as hard as it can handle.  I worked 90 hour weeks before i owned my own businesses by the way, that’s probably what got me into ownership: I was offered opportunities after working with a few James beard chefs and showing up before them and leaving after them.  I only posted to say my experience, not to attack you.  We’re not the same, we see things differently.  That’s ok.  The world functions perfectly fine with people of all kinds.

Oh how I wish it were so. 
    My car was functioning perfectly fine until yesterday morning when one of the spark plugs blew a tip off.  The plug had to be removed and replaces and, no doubt with quite some difficulty, the tip had to be fished out.  This country, this world, has a hell of a lot of spark plugs ready to blow and jam up the works.  We need to get closer together but instead we are moving further apart.  This is not healthy.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

me.  

to work. Peace.
    Honestly I have no way in knowing if you are an asshole or not ;)

I will say based on what you describe, I think you at least walk your talk.  Now, for me, I am not aligned with that talk.  Life needs balance for me...so having a leader role model behaviors that differ from mine would likely result in me looking elsewhere.  But, that is just me.

It is an amazing work ethic, I also used to be a lot closer to that until I had a kid and got a bit older.  But I find that doesn't give me the joy or sense of satisfaction as it once did so I've changed my behavior.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

me.  

to work. Peace.
    working in the food industry shaped my work ethic from when I was 16. I worked like a horse from then until about 5 years ago, regardless of industry. I didn't own the places, so I didn't work when i wasn't getting paid, but I worked hard. 

I do agree that cooks have a fucking hard and underappreciated job. I know, I was a fucking good one, and I got shit for pay. The waitresses would literally cheer when I walked in the door, knowing they'd get double the tips that day of any other cook. And I would see 2% of that, if they were being honest. Which is a garbage system. 

I didn't have sick days or paid holidays from 16 until I was 35. And yeah, it didn't bother me at the time either. But it would now, since I'm coming up on 6 weeks per year and I have about 400 hours of sick time (that I don't use anyway, but it's there). 

People need time off. the mindset that you don't need holidays is toxic, if that's how you think your employees should be as well. But you didn't say that, so I shoudln't assume. 

owning your own business would obviously inform how you operate though. Yeah, I'd work 90 hour weeks too if it was my business. But now? for the industry that I work for, and the people I work for? nope. and I hardly think anyone can claim that they would just becuase that's "who they are" when they haven't lived it. 

restaurants aren't essential. But the kitchen staff should be treated better, for sure. 
    Of the many places where we should have sick days built in....I would be a big proponent of one being people that prepare food for others ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

no, you shouldn't, unless that's what gives you personal satisfaction, which it seems it does for you. It doesn't give me that satisfaction anymore like it did before, so I do what makes me happy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I don’t get days or time off because my employees take it. The places have to run 7 days a week so in a given month there’s a day or two max that others haven’t asked off that I can take.  I didn’t say it because I don’t believe it, folks should get time off.  In 12 years of owning multiple restaurants I’ve never, not once, told someone they can’t have requested time off- I fill their void.  I’ve cancelled several family vacations over the years because others asked for the same time off. I wouldn’t ever work corporate, just because it’s cushy.  That’s a cop out.  If your body works, you should work as hard as it can handle, and sitting at a desk on the internet isn’t as hard as it can handle.  I worked 90 hour weeks before i owned my own businesses by the way, that’s probably what got me into ownership: I was offered opportunities after working with a few James beard chefs and showing up before them and leaving after them.  I only posted to say my experience, not to attack you.  We’re not the same, we see things differently.  That’s ok.  The world functions perfectly fine with people of all kinds.
    no, you shouldn't, unless that's what gives you personal satisfaction, which it seems it does for you. It doesn't give me that satisfaction anymore like it did before, so I do what makes me happy. 
    When I was younger I thought this too and unfortunately I was a means to an end.  In bigger corporations they love people like you, OP and I.  You have someone that can make them money so 9 out of 10 times you don't get the promotion because you are too good at what you do.

Thankfully I learned other skills along the way and manage now.  I always wanted to be the shot caller on the other side of the physical labor.

OP when your body breaks down, no one is going to care one way or the other unfortunately.  All those good years you gave will mean nothing if you can't still do it.  I do wish you longevity and not a means to an end.
  • All well and good  until you either  work your body  to break. Or get an illness out of your  control that ruins  your  life
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    All well and good  until you either  work your body  to break. Or get an illness out of your  control that ruins  your  life
    Amen to that! I work hard and in my head it’s partly for those who can’t.  There’s a lot of folks who would if they could but they can’t, so those of us who can have to pick up the slack so things get done.  
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

I used to live to work. Then I retired almost 20 years ago. Now I work to live.
    Working a ridiculous amount of hours with little or no time off to enjoy life and or family is not necessarily a good thing.
    Now I work a job I enjoy with bosses I like and I can travel and see the world as I see fit.
    If you're happy working 100 hours or more a week great. But there is a lot being missed 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    As an aside, every time I see this thread, I read it as "Quiet Quilting." Uh...is there any other kind?

Carry on.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    As an aside, every time I see this thread, I read it as "Quiet Quilting." Uh...is there any other kind?

Carry on.
    haha. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I haven’t been following this thread because every time I glanced at it I thought it said “Quiet Quilting” and I had no interest in whatever discussion was going on here.
  • OnWis97 said:

Carry on.
    Did you come on to share your crocheting skills?

• I don’t get days or time off because my employees take it. The places have to run 7 days a week so in a given month there’s a day or two max that others haven’t asked off that I can take.  I didn’t say it because I don’t believe it, folks should get time off.  In 12 years of owning multiple restaurants I’ve never, not once, told someone they can’t have requested time off- I fill their void.  I’ve cancelled several family vacations over the years because others asked for the same time off. I wouldn’t ever work corporate, just because it’s cushy.  That’s a cop out.  If your body works, you should work as hard as it can handle, and sitting at a desk on the internet isn’t as hard as it can handle.  I worked 90 hour weeks before i owned my own businesses by the way, that’s probably what got me into ownership: I was offered opportunities after working with a few James beard chefs and showing up before them and leaving after them.  I only posted to say my experience, not to attack you.  We’re not the same, we see things differently.  That’s ok.  The world functions perfectly fine with people of all kinds.
    I used to live to work. Then I retired almost 20 years ago. Now I work to live.
    Working a ridiculous amount of hours with little or no time off to enjoy life and or family is not necessarily a good thing.
    Now I work a job I enjoy with bosses I like and I can travel and see the world as I see fit.
    If you're happy working 100 hours or more a week great. But there is a lot being missed 
    In one of my previous jobs we had a superintendent that loved working and didn't believe in days off or going home after 8hrs.  That reflected on us the workers too because we were stuck working just as long as him.  We were all away from home so I guess he had nothing else to do?

Anywho, when I became a Superintendent for the same company I conducted myself the complete opposite way he did.  So working under him made me a great super because he taught me everything not to do.

My men under me would say that they weren't making as much money but their quality of life was better.  I knew I was doing the right thing.