Options

Quiet Quitting

this is a concept that is becoming more and more clear to me in the current stage of my career that I find myself in. I work for a Crown Corporation (non-profit that is really for-profit for the government to the tune of bazillions of dollars). Our BOD is full of provincial government heads, and of course, every dime of the money we make needs to go back to their respective governments; the staff, therefor, suffer under this model. Even during the pandemic our profits never suffered. Not one bit. It was only a decade ago that our company reached the milestone of an annual profit of a billion dollars. Now we're steady at 1.5 billion. But they're cutting even more staff and more "perks" but also benefitting from the new hybrid model of working from home so we're now also saving tens of thousands of dollars a MONTH in office space. 

So today, overworked and underpaid, I fucking called in sick. And I don't feel the slightest guilt about it (my coworkers won't suffer for my loss for one day). And when I go to work tomorrow, will I work my ass off like I generally have my entire career? BIG FAT NOPE. I just don't care. And I'm not alone. I know so many people across the corporation, management and staff, that feel the same. I will do what I need to do to get the job done. But no more. No more above and beyond. No more extending the extra mile. FUCK IT. 

I'm not looking for a daily pat on the back or some big bonus that simply doesn't exist in today's day. Just personal satisfaction of a job well done. And I'll do that and I'll get that. I just won't do a job exceptionally done. It's not worth it anymore. that's clear. 

we had a massive turnover in executive about 5 years ago. Everyone was excited after the dinosaurs finally all died off (retired). But slowly this new type of exec has crept in: the disengaged exec. We were word-for-word told at a town hall meeting that "if you don't like your job, no one is forcing you to stay". From our VP of HR. Message received, fuckers. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2022/09/13/1122059402/the-economics-behind-quiet-quitting-and-what-we-should-call-it-instead

If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you go in every day, and do it really half-assed. 
                 -Homer J. Simpson

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    BRAVO!!!

If you have zero incentives then why strive to do a great job?

You have higher ups that look at the bottom line and workforce almost like Moneyball.  You can pay people less to get the same outcome. Or like Office Space where he does nothing but gets promoted, lol.

I have always worked in the private sector for this reason.  I get perks doing it and usually get rewarded for a job well done.  Knowing that I can easily be fired though bothers me sometimes but as long as my job is done I'm good.

I think you'll find more happiness in doing what you need to do and not killing yourself.  You'll have a better quality of life.

Good for you.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I hear you Hugh. I just left a big company and joined a small business and have higher pay, better benefits, more time off and more flexibility. I feel like at a certain size companies just start to take the focus off the people and put it on numbers, whether those numbers are profits, productivity goals, calculated benefits that provide just enough incentive but nothing more, it all comes down to the same thing, not looking at the whole health of the company and workforce.  Sure there will be HR emails talking about caring, and buzzwords like stakeholder this and sustainability that, but it is usually just empty words.  I may be an exception but in my working career I have always ended up with better pay and benefits when working for smaller companies, and as an added bonus there is usually a sense of community and conviviality that I  have found to be lacking at a corporate level.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Honestly if I wasn't self employed I would probably be fired. I fuck around on the internet way too much.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Honestly if I wasn't self employed I would probably be fired. I fuck around on the internet way too much.
    Ahem....
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    BRAVO!!!

You have higher ups that look at the bottom line and workforce almost like Moneyball.  You can pay people less to get the same outcome. Or like Office Space where he does nothing but gets promoted, lol.

I have always worked in the private sector for this reason.  I get perks doing it and usually get rewarded for a job well done.  Knowing that I can easily be fired though bothers me sometimes but as long as my job is done I'm good.

I think you'll find more happiness in doing what you need to do and not killing yourself.  You'll have a better quality of life.

Good for you.

For many in the private sector, many times it doesn’t matter how well performed the job is done. Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard of a termination related to change of corporate ownership where the exit list was not compiled based on performance or seniority. Also, good luck to those of us over 50 in the corporate world!
  • Options
    BRAVO!!!

Good for you.

For many in the private sector, many times it doesn’t matter how well performed the job is done. Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard of a termination related to change of corporate ownership where the exit list was not compiled based on performance or seniority. Also, good luck to those of us over 50 in the corporate world!
    If you're good then companies want that knowledge.  I'm experiencing that right now but I'm also not 50...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I hate this term, "quiet quitting"
    As I understand it, it is not actually quitting.  It is consciously doing the absolute bare minimum 

I agree with the VP of HR.  If you don't like your job  nobody is forcing you to stay.  There are so many options for people who want to work that I don't think it is good for people to stay somewhere they don't like and to put up something like this quiet quitting flag.

Have you looked around to see what other jobs may he open for you?  Perhaps there are options which might make you happier, or at least not joining a mass of people celebrating doing just enough.

To each their own, but I will not ever work at something where I don't give my all.  I don't have it in me.  Go 100% at everything I do, it is the only way I could ever be.

Hope you can find happiness in your work, or at least something more than you feel now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I'm convinced "quiet quitting" is a term created by someone in corporate America in response to the idea that donating shit-tons of personal time on weekends is no longer a flex.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    As I understand it, it is not actually quitting.  It is consciously doing the absolute bare minimum 

I agree with the VP of HR.  If you don't like your job  nobody is forcing you to stay.  There are so many options for people who want to work that I don't think it is good for people to stay somewhere they don't like and to put up something like this quiet quitting flag.

Have you looked around to see what other jobs may he open for you?  Perhaps there are options which might make you happier, or at least not joining a mass of people celebrating doing just enough.

To each their own, but I will not ever work at something where I don't give my all.  I don't have it in me.  Go 100% at everything I do, it is the only way I could ever be.

Hope you can find happiness in your work, or at least something more than you feel now.
    I understand your view, as I once shared it.  There is not always a more fulfilling position readily available when the general dissatisfaction with the tightening of benefits and the expectations to deliver more productivity set in.  At times like this, in the interim between jobs, I understand doing the minimum job you are paid for and nothing more.  In a more fulfilling environment, sure then give it your all.  Reality doesn't always line up with the VP of HRs outlook, we all need to survive and provide and sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation in the meantime. Which may mean quiet quitting.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    static111 said:

I understand your view, as I once shared it.  There is not always a more fulfilling position readily available when the general dissatisfaction with the tightening of benefits and the expectations to deliver more productivity set in.  At times like this, in the interim between jobs, I understand doing the minimum job you are paid for and nothing more.  In a more fulfilling environment, sure then give it your all.  Reality doesn't always line up with the VP of HRs outlook, we all need to survive and provide and sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation in the meantime. Which may mean quiet quitting.
    I disagree, but know many do not share my outlook on this.  
  • Options
    static111 said:

I disagree, but know many do not share my outlook on this.  
    There is a difference to giving 100% and giving 150% or 200%. You earn vacation….take it. Work your hours and don’t feel guilty if you can’t work more. Want to do something for work on the weekend? Have at it. Don’t? Don’t. 

Quiet quitting is a terrible term. It’s simply work life balance 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited September 2022
    Isn’t the bare minimum filling your job description to the letter?

you don’t get paid 110% for putting in 110% particularly if you are salaried. Once you are no longer aggressively seeking promotions it makes total sense. 

If you think about it, it’s absurd people are criticising employees for doing their job. There are a lot of articles on this where people pile on pretty hard on these people. Doing their job is what they are doing though. All the extras aren’t their job.  Being “engaged” which they probably aren’t doesn’t necessarily preclude them from completing their assigned duties. 

I don’t like the term though.  It’s kind of like “de fund the police”. It’s not exactly representative of the position and it sounds terrible.  

Your employer isn’t and has never been loyal to you, they give you the bare minimum pay and benefits they can get away with in a competitive marketplace. Are they “quiet hirers?” 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    edited September 2022
    this is a concept that is becoming more and more clear to me in the current stage of my career that I find myself in. I work for a Crown Corporation (non-profit that is really for-profit for the government to the tune of bazillions of dollars). Our BOD is full of provincial government heads, and of course, every dime of the money we make needs to go back to their respective governments; the staff, therefor, suffer under this model. Even during the pandemic our profits never suffered. Not one bit. It was only a decade ago that our company reached the milestone of an annual profit of a billion dollars. Now we're steady at 1.5 billion. But they're cutting even more staff and more "perks" but also benefitting from the new hybrid model of working from home so we're now also saving tens of thousands of dollars a MONTH in office space. 

So today, overworked and underpaid, I fucking called in sick. And I don't feel the slightest guilt about it (my coworkers won't suffer for my loss for one day). And when I go to work tomorrow, will I work my ass off like I generally have my entire career? BIG FAT NOPE. I just don't care. And I'm not alone. I know so many people across the corporation, management and staff, that feel the same. I will do what I need to do to get the job done. But no more. No more above and beyond. No more extending the extra mile. FUCK IT. 

I'm not looking for a daily pat on the back or some big bonus that simply doesn't exist in today's day. Just personal satisfaction of a job well done. And I'll do that and I'll get that. I just won't do a job exceptionally done. It's not worth it anymore. that's clear. 

we had a massive turnover in executive about 5 years ago. Everyone was excited after the dinosaurs finally all died off (retired). But slowly this new type of exec has crept in: the disengaged exec. We were word-for-word told at a town hall meeting that "if you don't like your job, no one is forcing you to stay". From our VP of HR. Message received, fuckers. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2022/09/13/1122059402/the-economics-behind-quiet-quitting-and-what-we-should-call-it-instead

If you don't like your job, you don't strike; you go in every day, and do it really half-assed. 
                     -Homer J. Simpson

You need to do whatever it takes to be happy.  I worked for my millionaire brother for 24 years and when I stopped staying late during busy seasons and told him I wanted overtime if he expects me to stay (I was making $7.25 an hour) he “terminated” me.  Best thing that ever happened to me and my family.  Even my kids noticed how different( in a good way) they saw the person i truly I was, who I was always meant to be.  I mean I was treated like shit and I was his sister….I meant nothing to him. We haven’t spoken in 23 years and it doesn’t bother me at all.  He didn’t even tell me when my mother died (she lived on his farm/write off).  

Stick with it but don’t stop looking elsewhere.  In the meantime, fuck the big bosses.  Do your thing at your own pace.  Keep us posted…..there’s many around here who’ve been through the same type of things.  We probably can’t solve the problem but we can certainly listen.  

Oh and I didn’t get paid sick or vacation time or medical benefits…he was such a joy to work for.  
    Post edited by cblock4life on
  • Options

you don’t get paid 110% for putting in 110% particularly if you are salaried. Once you are no longer aggressively seeking promotions it makes total sense. 

If you think about it, it’s absurd people are criticising employees for doing their job. There are a lot of articles on this where people pile on pretty hard on these people. Doing their job is what they are doing though. All the extras aren’t their job.  Being “engaged” which they probably aren’t doesn’t necessarily preclude them from completing their assigned duties. 

I don’t like the term though.  It’s kind of like “de fund the police”. It’s not exactly representative of the position and it sounds terrible.  

Your employer isn’t and has never been loyal to you, they give you the bare minimum pay and benefits they can get away with in a competitive marketplace. Are they “quiet hirers?” 

Quiet Hirers! I love it!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    As a dinosaur (lol!)  and because I am someone who has had the mixed good fortune/curse of having had a shit load of different jobs- three of which I would refer to as careers- college store manager, teacher, business owner- and having plenty of experience with verbal but mutually agreeable quitting, I'm not really qualified to respond about quiet quitting.
    But I will say I understand how frustrating it is to have a job that lacks satisfaction and compensation.  So, HFD, I wish you the best and hope you can make your way in your current job that works well enough for you or, if you so decide, that you find something that works better for you.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited September 2022
    static111 said:

Quiet Hirers! I love it!
    This idea people have to love their job or something I’ll never understand 

I would wash dishes 8 hours a day if I got paid enough, I wouldn’t care.  I wouldn’t hate it any more or less than being an engineer or a banker. Loving your job to me is code for no hobbies and your job defines who you are as a person. 

My stepfather is that guy. He didn’t have a clue what to do when he retired. Putting in 80 hours a week in a white collar job was his life. I have exactly 1 family vacation as a kid to prove it. Missed my wedding too. 
    Is that really the example we want as an ideal employee? I really hope not 

work is work. It’s not fun no matter what. If it is something is wrong. If you have a life outside the office it’s easier to realise 

American work culture has valued what is objectively unhealthy behaviours for a long time, the backlash was inevitable 
  • Options
    Some people work to live and other people live to work. Americans regularly leave sick and vacation time on the table and the productivity gains over the past four decades prove it. Unfortunately, salary and wages haven’t kept pace so yea, bust your ass if you want to but just meeting your responsibilities is acceptable as well. I like being challenged but long gone are the “I feel obligated to put in 80 hour weeks.” I can’t wait to retire. Or win the lottery.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    BRAVO!!!

Good for you.

If you're good then companies want that knowledge.  I'm experiencing that right now but I'm also not 50...

I know many who got promoted so often they became too expensive. the next time their corp needed a reorg, that was all she wrote. If they’re in their 30s to 40s, no biggie, a new job takes minutes to find.. If it happens after they hit 50, good luck.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

I don't like the term either, but it's what's in the lexicon. 

the VP of HR can shove it. she's not there to say "you don't like it, there's the fucking door". she's there to listen to ideas on how to improve the corp. that is literally her fucking job. 

I don't dislike my job. I dislike the current culture. Culture can change. And it should change if the majority of the staff want it to. If they want to be a successful business that isn't wasting tens of thousands on turnover (ever heard the phrase "it's costlier to hire than to retain"?), then they are currently failing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it's also not as easy a decision as "find a new job". I've been there nearly my whole adult life. I will be getting 6 weeks vacation next summer. My benefits and pension are top notch. it would take a LOT to leave that, even in the current state. 

I hold onto hope that the culture shifts back a bit to what it was when they see how awful our employee retention has been the last decade. I have no idea how they don't see it now. People come and stay for a few months, 6 months at the most, and go somewhere else. It happens constantly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    As a dinosaur (lol!)  and because I am someone who has had the mixed good fortune/curse of having had a shit load of different jobs- three of which I would refer to as careers- college store manager, teacher, business owner- and having plenty of experience with verbal but mutually agreeable quitting, I'm not really qualified to respond about quiet quitting.
    But I will say I understand how frustrating it is to have a job that lacks satisfaction and compensation.  So, HFD, I wish you the best and hope you can make your way in your current job that works well enough for you or, if you so decide, that you find something that works better for you.

lol I didn't call them dinosaurs because of their age, Brian (if that's how you took it), it was because they had all been in their executive roles for a few decades and were set in their ways and resistant to change. they were all in the 55-60 year old range, which I don't consider old. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    static111 said:

Quiet Hirers! I love it!

I would wash dishes 8 hours a day if I got paid enough, I wouldn’t care.  I wouldn’t hate it any more or less than being an engineer or a banker. Loving your job to me is code for no hobbies and your job defines who you are as a person. 

My stepfather is that guy. He didn’t have a clue what to do when he retired. Putting in 80 hours a week in a white collar job was his life. I have exactly 1 family vacation as a kid to prove it. Missed my wedding too. 

work is work. It’s not fun no matter what. If it is something is wrong. If you have a life outside the office it’s easier to realise 

American work culture has valued what is objectively unhealthy behaviours for a long time, the backlash was inevitable 
    Re. the bolded lines above, I'm that guy.  I could say I wish I had learned this earlier, but better late than never.

For the last 21 years I have loved my jobs and they are my hobbies as well:  working in bookstores and selling used books and vinyl records. 
    The most money I made and the least happy I was happened when I was working in Silicon Valley in the mid 80's.  My income has been a lot less working in bookstore and having my own business, but I am way happier. 
    What made that possible was educating myself on managing my finances. In this, my third marriage, my wife and I live very well for two people who have combined incomes that have never cracked six figures.  80K , maybe a little more pre-pandemic.
    And at 71, I could flat out quit today, but I still enjoy doing what I do.  In three days of brutal hard work I re-positioned some shelving units and rearranged almost 20 shelves worth of books to create this, the used music book room part of my business (and a place for my guitar and amp):
    IMG

So yeah, I'm ALL for doing work that you love.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

the VP of HR can shove it. she's not there to say "you don't like it, there's the fucking door". she's there to listen to ideas on how to improve the corp. that is literally her fucking job. 

I don't dislike my job. I dislike the current culture. Culture can change. And it should change if the majority of the staff want it to. If they want to be a successful business that isn't wasting tens of thousands on turnover (ever heard the phrase "it's costlier to hire than to retain"?), then they are currently failing. 
    I still think the term is silly.  There are lots of things people say that I feel that way about.

Also disagree on what the job of a VP of HR is, as you describe your understanding of it.  Same on the majority of staff wanting something meaning it should be the case.  

Yes, I've heard the phrase you quoted but I've also heard the phrase "slow to hire, quick to fire", indicating how important it is to put the right people in place and hit eject as soon as someone is a problem.  

Up to you on what you do, which is great for you.  Sounds like they don't fire and provide amazing benefits.  The idea that this company pays people for 6 weeks of PTO sounds crazy, to me, but that seems great for the workers and culture.  Perhaps in Canada this is commonplace....it sure isn't here in the US 
    Pension is also not something common here, any longer.  Sounds like they take good care of their people.  

The people I know who have these types of perks are mostly union workers here.  They often have the power to try and force what workers feel onto ownership. 

Good luck with the culture change.
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Fuck work

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Fuck work
    Hahaha.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    static111 said:

Quiet Hirers! I love it!

It is possible for one to enjoy their work and enjoy their life outside of work. Doesn't have to be an either/or situation.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Hobbes said:
    static111 said:

Quiet Hirers! I love it!

It is possible for one to enjoy their work and enjoy their life outside of work. Doesn't have to be an either/or situation.
    I think of it in terms of tolerating work, not loving or enjoying. To me it’s a big difference 

the vast majority of people if they didn’t have to work, they wouldn’t. Unless of course they didn’t have to work and had nothing else to do 

I just think the narrative you should be able to love your job is a set up for being dissatisfied with your job when you don’t. If we can get the expectations correct you will be realistic about what it is. Means to an end.  If it wasn’t, they wouldn’t need to pay you and you show up anyway or when you retire you would keep showing up as a volunteer 

If you are self employed and own your own business or something it may be different but I don’t know to many wage earners who show up tomorrow if they win the lottery today.  If they truly enjoyed it, it wouldn’t matter if they won the lottery and they keep the job.

I don’t believe most really enjoy the work. They may enjoy the lifestyle it gives them but that’s different.  That quote that goes something like “find a job you love and  you’ll never work a day in your life” is fantasy land 
  • Options
    As long as we can come on AMT during work hours and chat I think we all have good jobs, lol!
  • Options

I still think the term is silly.  There are lots of things people say that I feel that way about.

Also disagree on what the job of a VP of HR is, as you describe your understanding of it.  Same on the majority of staff wanting something meaning it should be the case.  

Yes, I've heard the phrase you quoted but I've also heard the phrase "slow to hire, quick to fire", indicating how important it is to put the right people in place and hit eject as soon as someone is a problem.  

Up to you on what you do, which is great for you.  Sounds like they don't fire and provide amazing benefits.  The idea that this company pays people for 6 weeks of PTO sounds crazy, to me, but that seems great for the workers and culture.  Perhaps in Canada this is commonplace....it sure isn't here in the US 
    Pension is also not something common here, any longer.  Sounds like they take good care of their people.  

The people I know who have these types of perks are mostly union workers here.  They often have the power to try and force what workers feel onto ownership. 

Good luck with the culture change.
    they do fire, actually, which is a nice change from the last regime. our last HR director was scared shitless of firing anyone because of one lawsuit that didn't go the corp's way, so she'd never sign off on it. it was awful. that's one thing I'll give the HR VP: her motto is "HR doesn't hire and doesn't fire, that's up to the leaders, and we help them along the way". Loads of trash was taken out the first couple years after that change. 

that's her job as far as executive has mandated as part of our mission statement. 

we start at 3 weeks vacation. it goes up after that by one week at different intervals; I'll be at 25 years next summer at 6 weeks. Managers get an extra week in lieu of OT pay. Our pension is defined benefit, which rocks. so yes, those are good things, but we also tend to pay right on the 50th percentile or a tad lower, so there's a balance there. 

basically our executive team has adopted a "personal accountability" mandate along with "it's not our fault; it' a BOD decision" so they are basically immune from criticism and responsibility where it comes to staffing issues. it's a cop out. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com