Options

Shorter sets....and why it's the best thing ever!

Comments

• Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,081
    I’m happy with 22 songs though would prefer if they cut the 9minute versions of Even Flow, Porch, Daughter etc and did sharper 4-5min versions like the albums and added back a few songs. They could easily do 27-28 songs in the same time.
  • Options
    NDJeff7NDJeff7 Posts: 205
    I've seen them on almost every tour, starting with the Vs tour in 1994. I was at Ottawa last night and had last been at the 2 Fenway shows in 2018. The performance last night was so much better than the Fenway shows, and it wasn't even close. The tempo, guitar tones, and Ed's voice is all the best I've heard in a long time. The show was 2 1/2 hours and felt like the perfect amount of time. 
  • Options
    I care far more about how many songs they play vs how long the show is.  Telling me a show is 2.5 hours but only 23 songs means they need to replace 15 minutes of jamming and stale audience participation with 4-5 more songs :)
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,813
    igotid88 said:
    Well people had fun at the Rage concerts and they play even less and the same set
    Like they’ve done their whole short career. We know what  to expect. With Pj it’s been a DRASTIC change. Not complaining I just don’t understand people getting butthurt whenever someone brings it up. 
  • Options
    Some advice to the rocket surgeons who don't want an opener....

Arrive to the show after the opener.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Some advice to the rocket surgeons who don't want an opener....

Arrive to the show after the opener.
    They can also show up late or leave early if they are bothered by shows that are "too long"
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,450
    I think the preference for no opener is based on the idea that it will leave more time for Pearl Jam to play if there’s only one band on the bill.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    I don’t think I’ll mind a shorter set at Camden. But one setlist-related thing that I hate is the amount of slow-tempo songs at the top. I trace the start of this awful trend back to about 2013. They haven’t done it at every single show since then. But they sure do it a lot compared to pre-2013. 

Here’s the start of the set in Quebec a few days ago for example…..

01. Daughter
    02. Footsteps
    03. Buckle Up
    04. Other Side
    05. Off He Goes

For me personally, this is the absolute worst way a PJ concert can begin. And it’s nothing against these particular songs or songs with similar tempos (Sometimes, Release, Long Road, fucking Low Light). It’s just too many to start the show with. The day of the show comes, you’re all excited, anticipation builds through the day, the band comes out….and plays a couple lullabies that sucks the excitement out of the room. I’d prefer a little more “Pearl JAM” at the top of the shows, and a little less “Pearl Adult Contemporary.”
    Everybody's different and we are all entitled to our opinions. I am a bigger fan of the slow songs and would love a start like that. 
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Was sceptical also about the shorter sets but they blew my mind in europe. The band were on fire, and the change is doing them the world of good. Yes id love the extra hour, Id love that first encore of acoustic rarities back, and yes I could do without 9 minute even flow and porch versions,. but i will always take a 9 minute RVM. So that tells me its all subjective, theres probably hundreds of folk who love the porch jam (not to mention it gives Ed time to pause and rest a little). 

However the shows were just wonderful, and cannot wait for the next tour to come along. 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,405
    drfox said:
    I’m happy with 22 songs though would prefer if they cut the 9minute versions of Even Flow, Porch, Daughter etc and did sharper 4-5min versions like the albums and added back a few songs. They could easily do 27-28 songs in the same time.
    So... you're NOT really happy with 22 songs if you're offering a way to make it 27 songs....??
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,189
    on2legs said:
    I think the preference for no opener is based on the idea that it will leave more time for Pearl Jam to play if there’s only one band on the bill.  
    We know it doesn’t though. They take the stage super late even without an opener. At least we have something to watch during all that dead time.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,450
    on2legs said:
    We know it doesn’t though. They take the stage super late even without an opener. At least we have something to watch during all that dead time.
    Agreed.  I was just pointing out that no one is fundamentally against having an opening band as implied by the post about telling people to just skip it if you don’t want to watch.  People are against an opening band because they feel it cuts  into the band’s set time. 

For the record.  I couldn’t care less either way.  Pearl Jam is going to play exactly what they want with or without an opening band.  And that’s fine with me. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    It is definitely not the best thing ever. It is a drastic change in format from what fans are accustomed too. Six to ten less songs per show and less variety in sets is a very different experience. Don’t get me wrong I am still super excited about seeing two shows coming up and still think pj is the best live band in the world. But I am trying to lower my expectations of what I have seen the past 20 years. 
    Same...I've said on here before that I'm not really complaining, I'm just curious as to what the reason is...but maybe that's none of our business.

I'm going to see them in Nash/Louisville and saw them at both OAK shows. They continue to sound better with each show in my opinion.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I don’t think I’ll mind a shorter set at Camden. But one setlist-related thing that I hate is the amount of slow-tempo songs at the top. I trace the start of this awful trend back to about 2013. They haven’t done it at every single show since then. But they sure do it a lot compared to pre-2013. 

01. Daughter
    02. Footsteps
    03. Buckle Up
    04. Other Side
    05. Off He Goes

For me personally, this is the absolute worst way a PJ concert can begin. And it’s nothing against these particular songs or songs with similar tempos (Sometimes, Release, Long Road, fucking Low Light). It’s just too many to start the show with. The day of the show comes, you’re all excited, anticipation builds through the day, the band comes out….and plays a couple lullabies that sucks the excitement out of the room. I’d prefer a little more “Pearl JAM” at the top of the shows, and a little less “Pearl Adult Contemporary.”
    And the trend continues. First five songs in Hamilton last night....

01. Oceans
    02. Nothingman
    03. Yellow Moon
    04. Man Of The Hour
    05. Retrograde
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

01. Daughter
    02. Footsteps
    03. Buckle Up
    04. Other Side
    05. Off He Goes

And the trend continues. First five songs in Hamilton last night....

01. Oceans
    02. Nothingman
    03. Yellow Moon
    04. Man Of The Hour
    05. Retrograde
    I’m fine with starting off mellow if you end the show with some absolute ragers. But last nights show I would’ve been getting a beer for those songs
  • Options
    It is what it is and Gigaton isn’t Ten.  And so it goes.
    change happens no matter if you like it or not. 

Make your decisions on the band based on now, not the band of a decade or more ago 
  • Options
    Of all of the complaints I read about PJ, the "I hate when they jam" is the most confusing one of all. So, just come out and play it exactly like they did on the record? Why even go to a show if that's what you want to hear? I'd throw the "why do they play (x song) so fast" in that same bucket. I see bands live to get something I don't get from the record. To each their own, not intended to be a critique of anyone's preferences
  • Options

Make your decisions on the band based on now, not the band of a decade or more ago 
    Yeah of course I’m not pissed I was just stating my personal opinion. They still rule and put on amazing live performances. 
  • Options
    Of all of the complaints I read about PJ, the "I hate when they jam" is the most confusing one of all. So, just come out and play it exactly like they did on the record? Why even go to a show if that's what you want to hear? I'd throw the "why do they play (x song) so fast" in that same bucket. I see bands live to get something I don't get from the record. To each their own, not intended to be a critique of anyone's preferences
    After seeing them jam out Porch more times than I can recall, yeah... I would rather hear the studio version of it, and another song rather than a big jam in the middle to close out the first set. It's become formulaic at this point,
  • Options
    The norm for Pearl Jam up until this tour was 30 +/- songs a night. This was the bar they set for themselves. 

Comparing them now to bands that only play 17 songs a night is silly. The length of their set lists was one of the staples to their epic live shows over the last 20 years. It's a fair and valid criticism that they're now playing significantly fewer songs a night. Does that mean shorter sets can't be great shows? No, not at all, but pointing out this big change to their live shows isn't unfair or unwarranted. 

With that being said, if shorter setlists are going to prolong their career, or lend to them having more energy / playing better shows at the end of the tour, I'm all for it, do what needs to be done to keep playing live. I want this band around for as long as possible. 

Next time I see PJ, I'm going to be paying more money for less of an experience than I got in years past. That sucks. But they're still one of my favorite bands, so I'll take it. More than anything I'm just happy they're still around & doing their thing. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    edited September 2022
    I'm wondering if they are taking turns with setlists....why the change from the more standard sets to last night (and/or the last few shows)? 

Maybe I put too much thought into this shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

Yeah of course I’m not pissed I was just stating my personal opinion. They still rule and put on amazing live performances. 
    I agree with that. I’m happy they are still touring at all to be honest.  Doesn’t matter to me if they are pacing themselves as Ed’s voice sounds consistently rougher or they are just playing what they want to play. No complaints from me. I’d go to a 90 minute set too 
  • Options

I agree with that. I’m happy they are still touring at all to be honest.  Doesn’t matter to me if they are pacing themselves as Ed’s voice sounds consistently rougher or they are just playing what they want to play. No complaints from me. I’d go to a 90 minute set too 
    100% if this means they last longer by playing shorter and more mellow songs to keep his voice im still game. 
  • Options
    I agree this one is baffling to me.  And seriously why not just stay home and listen to the album if you want to hear it exactly as it was recorded? It'll sound better that way too since Ed's voice was much stronger 20 years ago.  To me the jamming, tags, and nuances live are what separate PJ from most other rock bands.  I'll gladly take Even Flow, Porch, RVM, C-Mary, Immortality, etc. every show if they are heater versions. 

For those they don't enjoy jamming I beg you to check out some classic extended versions of songs:

I've Got a Feeling- Den Haag '92, Orpheum '94
    C-Mary- Dallas '03, Ottawa '05
    Porch- 3/29/94, Osaka '03
    Immortality- 3/6/03
    RVM- St. Louis '00, Boston II '06
    Better Man- 9/1/00
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 433
    Setlist variety is looking a lot better lately. I can live with shorter sets (for whatever the reason) if the variety is there. 

Yes there are still standard hits that get played every show or every other show but come on, every band that isn't a jam band does that. Gotta play for the more casual fans as well.

My lone remaining "gripe" is I really wish they would play more from Riot Act / Avocado. 
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    Posted this in another thread. 

Here is where I am a little bummed about the drastic change in sets. Out of 22-23 songs they are playing around 10 of these staples every show:
    Alive, Jeremy, Porch, Small Town, Daughter, Black, Betterman, Given to fly, DTE, Corduroy, Evenflow.  
    Plus 3-5 Gigaton songs. 
    Plus another 3-5 almost staples like:  
    Wishlist, Why Go, RITFW, Ledbetter, Low Light, Not For You, etc 

All of this combined only really leaves room for about 3-5 songs from so many great songs to choose from to fill out the rest of the set. When the sets were 29-33 songs they still did this but we got another 8-10 different songs spread out amongst the hits and staples. I always felt like there was at least a chance to hear some of my absolute favorites (and it happened every show) such as:  Smile, In Hiding, Blood, Of the Earth, Grievance, Comatose, STBC and so many others. Again, I am still pumped about Nashville and STL coming up but have lowered my expectations of what used to be such an epic and unpredictable night of PJ. 

Edit:  last nights set in Hamilton looked a LOT better with 25 songs, no covers and no Betterman Jeremy Evenflow or Small Town. Still plenty of staples for the casual fan but mixed up the rest much better imo
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,587
    I agree this one is baffling to me.  And seriously why not just stay home and listen to the album if you want to hear it exactly as it was recorded? It'll sound better that way too since Ed's voice was much stronger 20 years ago.  To me the jamming, tags, and nuances live are what separate PJ from most other rock bands.  I'll gladly take Even Flow, Porch, RVM, C-Mary, Immortality, etc. every show if they are heater versions. 

For those they don't enjoy jamming I beg you to check out some classic extended versions of songs:

Immortality- 3/6/03
    Better Man- 9/1/00
    I don't think people mind the jamming.  I think people would want a jam on different songs and not the same jam on porch every night.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

Immortality- 3/6/03
    Better Man- 9/1/00

The most recent of those examples is from 16 years ago. The last time I heard them jam Porch in 2018 it couldn't have felt any more forced or any less organic.

It's ok to switch it up after all these years. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,813

Immortality- 3/6/03
    Better Man- 9/1/00

The most recent of those examples is from 16 years ago. The last time I heard them jam Porch in 2018 it couldn't have felt any more forced or any less organic.

I’m with you 100% 
    random thought but I wish they’d bust out Force of Nature!! When’s the last time and am I the only one that loves that song?
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    nicknyr15 said:

Immortality- 3/6/03
    Better Man- 9/1/00

I’m with you 100% 
    random thought but I wish they’d bust out Force of Nature!! When’s the last time and am I the only one that loves that song?
    It’s a good song. Only played 11 times and hasn’t been played since 2010 😳