Options

Workday Time Killer - WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CONCERT?

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,845
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    Beach boys with Brian Wilson. Probably 1989-1990-ish
    i was 9 or 10. Could have been earlier too, I can’t remember when Brian was touring with them or not, just remember he was there 

three dog night opened 

Nice!
    My first concert was also Beach Boys, but sadly sans Brian Wilson, 12/29/65.

(Actually, before that I saw Barry McGuire and The New Christie Minstrels perform a couple of songs  at an outdoor performance for the unveiling of United Airlines' first DC-8  in 1959, but that wasn't really a concert.  We went to go tour the plane at SFO, not expecting there to be music.)
    Did Brian Wilson quit touring that far back?

Yeah, he stop touring with the band in December 1964, a year before I saw them.  I was 14 at the time and didn't keep up much on music news at that time, so I was clueless.  When the band came out, Mike Love stepped up to the microphone and said "We're sorry to say, Brian Wilson will not be joining us today," and went on to introduce his touring replacement, Bruce Johnston.  Damn!  My heart dropped like a stone.  Next to Micky Mantle, Brian Wilson was my ultimate hero at that time. 
    Funny, in a way I never got over that.  I still have not seen Brian Wilson perform.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2022
    AC/DC Edmonton Northlands Coliseum June 21, 1991. 
    Interestingly, four songs from that show were released on the AC/DC Live album released in 92. LA Guns opened and they are still in the top 5 worst bands I’ve ever seen.

Ironically, I really don’t like AC/DC all that much (Razors Edge is the only album of theirs I ever bought) but my friends had a spare ticket.
    Having said that, they did put on a helluva show and my 15 year-old ears were ringing for days after. 

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited July 2022
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:
    i was 9 or 10. Could have been earlier too, I can’t remember when Brian was touring with them or not, just remember he was there 

three dog night opened 

Nice!

(Actually, before that I saw Barry McGuire and The New Christie Minstrels perform a couple of songs  at an outdoor performance for the unveiling of United Airlines' first DC-8  in 1959, but that wasn't really a concert.  We went to go tour the plane at SFO, not expecting there to be music.)

Yeah, he stop touring with the band in December 1964, a year before I saw them.  I was 14 at the time and didn't keep up much on music news at that time, so I was clueless.  When the band came out, Mike Love stepped up to the microphone and said "We're sorry to say, Brian Wilson will not be joining us today," and went on to introduce his touring replacement, Bruce Johnston.  Damn!  My heart dropped like a stone.  Next to Micky Mantle, Brian Wilson was my ultimate hero at that time. 
    Funny, in a way I never got over that.  I still have not seen Brian Wilson perform.
    It’s weird to think that pet sounds which is by far my favorite beach boys album (it’s really more just a Brian Wilson album though) was released and recorded after he wasn’t even touring anymore. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

three dog night opened 

Nice!

It’s weird to think that pet sounds which is by far my favorite beach boys album (it’s really more just a Brian Wilson album though) was released and recorded after he wasn’t even touring anymore. 

Yes, for sure.  And strange to think this incredible work was accomplished not long before Wilson went off the deep end.  In a big way, he was another casualty of 60's drug excess.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,414
    edited July 2022
    HORDE Festival 1995, Somerset, WI

Black Crowes, Blues Traveler, Ziggy Marley, Sheryl Crow headlined the main stage.

Me and a buddy were 17 and drove 4 hours in my 85 Oldsmobile to the show. Black Crowes were supporting Amorica. Chris Robinson was rumored to have packed a suitcase with a single change of clothes and cocaine for the tour. Bumped into and chatted with Sheryl at some point after her set. She was pretty boozed up. Smoked too much schwaggy weed during day and ended up sleeping in the car at a truck stop. Good times.
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,362
    The Go-Go’s at The Greek Theater, Los Angeles. 1981. 
  • Options
    Flaming Lips (opener)
    Stone Temple Pilots (opener)
    Butthole Surfers (headliner)

Roseland Ballroom NYC 1992

if anyone remembers MTV News they would show a bunch of clips in the intro, one of which was STP dressed as Kiss. That was the show I was at. 

Next show a few months later was White Zombie at the Stone Pony in Asbury. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,089
    AC/DC I think for those about to rock tour with yngwie malemstein (sp) opening. I think I missed him too. I remember headbanging the whole show.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,735
    Loujoe said:
    AC/DC I think for those about to rock tour with yngwie malemstein (sp) opening. I think I missed him too. I remember headbanging the whole show.
    An early Ozzy concert memory had me waking up the next day and barely being able to move my head/neck from rocking out the whole show the night prior.  :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,304
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

three dog night opened 

Nice!

Yeah, he stop touring with the band in December 1964,  
    He heard Eddie was born and figured there was no reason to try and compete.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,307
    edited July 2022
    Depeche Mode in Atlanta, it’s either 1988 or 1990. My mom wouldn’t let my older sister go by herself so she “dragged” me. I enjoyed it, but wasn’t truly appreciating it.

My first show I chosen go to was Live, 1994, at Legion Field in Athens, GA. Throwing Copper tour, most songs off that and Mental Jewelry. Throwing Copper was just starting to take off. They were amazing!
    Post edited by CarryTheZero on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Fuck you, my man. They absolutely crushed it raw live back then! At least they did in that Showtime documentary. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,334
    Neil Young with Booker T & The MGs at Finsbury Park in London, July 93.

Pearl Jam were the main support, with James and Teenage Fanclub also on the bill. 4 Non Blondes were the opener.

The following month I saw Manic Street Preachers at the Heineken Music Festival in Swansea.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,637
    Godfathers, '91, i was 14..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,984
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Van Halen at Great Woods, July 1993. Vince Neil opened. Great show. 
    I was there.
    We've probably stood in the same beer line at some show. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 819
    Ozzy Osbourne Vancouver 1996 - Ozzmosis Tour
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options

They were so good in their early days!  Young, feisty, beautiful, energetic.  I loved seeing them the first time around.  Second time some years later they had kind of tamed down- good show, but not nearly as good as the first time.
    goldrush said:

Pearl Jam were the main support, with James and Teenage Fanclub also on the bill. 4 Non Blondes were the opener.

The following month I saw Manic Street Preachers at the Heineken Music Festival in Swansea.

Wow!  Nice first show.  No wonder you're a big Neil fan!
    And how cool that you've seen Teenage Fan Club.  I imagine that was great. (PJ also, of course!)

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,379
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nektar
    This I believe to be my 1st show must of been 74 or 75 we hitched like 20 miles to see them lol never listened to them at all! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    goldrush said:

Very cool to see James and TFC on the same bill.

Back then, I assume TFC played a lot of songs from Bandwagonesque.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,450
    brianlux said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    brianlux said:

three dog night opened 

Nice!

Too bad he stopped touring with the band so long ago.

I have seen him solo a few times, and once when he got back with the beach boys in 2012.

IMHO, the Beach Boys are one of the top American bands of all-time.  
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,202
    Molly Hatchet and Michael Shenker Group at Nassau Coli, circa 1980
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Alabama and Charlie Daniels band at Hampton coliseum in the 80s. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,580
    Genesis at Foxboro Stadium, 1992
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,211
    pink floyd at the metrodome in minneapolis, 1994
  • Options
    Fun thread!  Wow, the variety of types of first-show music here is very cool to read about!

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Page and Plant - Kiel Center St. Louis, MO   June 7, 1998
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 708
    Lollapalooza 1994 in Barrie for me. Some great bands played for my first show.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,877
    Guns N Roses , Skid Row opener 1991 Alpine Valley

• Options
    Kearn5yKearn5y Ireland Posts: 2,714
    Neil Young with support from Van Morrison & Pearl Jam at Slane Castle in 1993
    Kearnsy
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,163
    DewieCox said:
    Page and Plant - Kiel Center St. Louis, MO   June 7, 1998
    great show.... saw them in Cleveland that tour.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14