Travelling home from Europe?

mrz200mrz200 Posts: 80
we go to Amsterdam on Thursday from Boston Logan to catch the Sunday 7/24 show...fired up would be an understatement...

but I'm curious how some of you other US>PJ Europe tour travelers have fared so far on the travel home?  I keep hearing about these awful airport custom situations, and AMS is apparently one of the worst.

1. how bad was customs entering the country?
2. did it make a big difference on having a checked bag or not?
3. if we give it 4 hours+ to get processed leaving AMS, it would likely cost us the ability to do any sightseeing on our travel-home day :( ... and while there's worse places to get stuck than Amsterdam, I'm not looking to do that.  Any experiences to share?

Comments

• coach pjcoach pj Posts: 230
    DO NOT check a bag. Trust me, we just got back and luggage was “lost” for half of our trip.

carry on stuff only
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    edited July 2022
    It depends somewhat on the airline. Give yourself plenty of time to get checked in if you are checking bags. We arrived at Charles De Gaulle 3 hours before our flight home, only to find out that Icelandic Airlines wasn't allowing people to check bags for flights until 2 hours before departure. We stood in a very long line doing nothing for quite a while and by the time we got through bag check and security, we had just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat as they started boarding. If you are having a connecting flight, hopefully you gave yourself plenty of time between flights. Our flight from CDG to Keflavik was delayed about 45 minutes or so due a passenger checking a bag, but not showing up to the gate to board the plane. By the time we got to Keflavik there were a lot of people stressing as the plane landed and going through security due to their connecting flights being really close to the original arrival time of the flight. We built in a bigger gap, just in case so it worked out for us, but there was a lot of angry and panicky people trying to make their flights. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    If they are saying to allow 4 hours, I’d follow the advice.  Missing a flight is always an expensive thing but this summer especially having to buy new tickets from Europe would be a king’s ransom.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    I am checking a bag for my flight to Prague. It is a direct flight - so hopefully that will help. But just to be safe I got an Apple AirTag. I have been reading about they are helping people to locate their lost luggage.
  • Lol I just flew from Krakow to Amsterdam to Boston to Philadelphia yesterday. Nightmare!

I only had 50 minutes to transfer flights in Amsterdam. Unexpected passport check between terminals. Barely made it, but luckily did. Smile and cooperate and it will go faster! 

Got into Boston with three hours before flight. Canceled. Took airport shuttle then three subway lines to take Amtrak to Philadelphia. 7+ hour train. 

Left Krakow at 9 am. Went through 6 hours of time zone changes. Got home in Philadelphia at 5:15 am. 

All this to say: Try not to check a bag! Carry-on. And just generally be early and prepared for the worst. Finally, a smile goes a long way. I was stuck in passport control in Amsterdam and said please and thank you. Another woman started yelling at the workers. She got pulled out of line and had to wait and I got taken right through. 

Good luck! Oh and wait in line for a proper taxi. If anyone approaches you asking if you want a taxi, it’s a scam. Hope you have a better experience than me. Oh and when I booked it, I only had one layover in Amsterdam but a month ago, Expedia changed it to two layovers. 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    Also be prepared for the bonus line when leaving the EU.  You might think that once you’re through security you’re good, but they have an outgoing passport control check which can be another line on the way to your gate.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,756
    No issues for our flights to and from Budapest.  We never check bags but customs in Frankfurt was quick and easy.  Wife did pick up Covid at some point though.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.