Eddie Vedder Ejects Pearl Jam Fan – ‘I’m Sorry Ma’am, There’s No Violence Allowed’

demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,227
edited July 2022 in The Porch

Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder ejected a concertgoer from the crowd during a recent gig by the rock band due to apparent violence, as fan-captured video shows. The singer stopped Pearl Jam's performance of "Animal" in Zurich, Switzerland, on June 23 to do so.

When one goes to a concert, there's a code of conduct that should be observed to make the show enjoyable for all. At the top of that list is, of course, refraining from violence against fellow fans. Evidently, anyone who gets violent at a Pearl Jam show should be prepared to get called out and perhaps kicked out. That's what happened to one woman at the band's summer stop at Hallenstadion in the Swiss city.

In video from the gig, as reported by Rock Feed, Vedder witnesses a woman allegedly hitting another concertgoer in the head after she apparently grew frustrated with him filming the show.

Vedder stops the band and says, "Turn the lights on, please. Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey – I saw the whole thing, I know, it was annoying you. You were bummed out 'cause he was filming the whole time. Has it been the whole show or just now? Just now when I came over? Was it the whole time? Yeah, you're filming everyone."

The Pearl Jam singer continues, "The thing is, I know it upset you, but you can't fuckin' hit him in the back of head either, even though you're a woman. I appreciate the fact that you can be strong. Quit hitting him — you're out of here. Violence is not allowed. I'm sorry ma'am, there's no violence allowed. You could've waved to me, I was lookin' right at you. Sorry about that, it's just not cool, we're not hittin' people here. Sorry."

This isn't the first time Vedder has ejected a fan. Six years ago, he also stopped a Pearl Jam show and chided a concertgoer about their hostility. While rock gigs can be lively, Vedder is perhaps more cautious with overt violence amid an audience because nine fans died in a crowd crush during Pearl Jam's Roskilde Festival 2000 performance in Denmark. The band considered breaking up after the tragedy.

Watch the Zurich ejection at 0:50 in the video below. Pearl Jam's Gigaton came out in 2020. Vedder's Earthling is among Loudwire's Best Rock Albums of 2022 (So Far).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUKWCd2IinI

Post edited by demetrios on

Comments

• apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Would've been nice if he took the moment to also say how shitty it is for people to be taking long videos blocking others views.  You still can hit someone over it.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    Awesome EV. A woman kicked my bud on the rail once. I didn't know at the time, but super uncool just b/c you want their spot. Another fan stopped her antics and told me after the show.
  • gotsome10gotsome10 Posts: 139
    Loujoe said:
    Awesome EV. A woman kicked my bud on the rail once. I didn't know at the time, but super uncool just b/c you want their spot. Another fan stopped her antics and told me after the show.
    I was in the pit one person back from the rail directly in front of jeff. The super awesome people in front of me let me jump on the rail occasionally and then I would return them their rightful place after the song. The last encore the play Alive, third to last song. Just as the chorus started the man directly in front of me collapsed on the rail. Both of the people he was with and myself had to lift him over the rail to get him help as he was completely unconscious. As soon as we started to hand him over to security two very avid Pearl Jam pit dwellers, (literally all 9 of my shows I’ve seen these people) they physically pushed him out of our hands and very aggressively took his place and his wife then pushed her way in front of me while I was speechless. I wished Eddie saw that moment, it would’ve made my year to see him tear into those assholes. They are also the same people that post many many videos of songs from the front row, blocking the people immediately behind them. Definitely the opposite of every other fan I’ve met.
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am MINE"
    "I wonder 'bout his insides, it's like his thoughts are too big for his size..."
    2013- Wrigley, Pittsburgh-(GA)
    2014- St. Louis, Memphis-(GA)
    2016- Tampa, Wrigley 1 & 2-(GA)
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,983
    Uggh. That stinks. I don't see myself defending a rail position anymore.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,227
    Loujoe said:

Good that they stopped her antics. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    We pack thousands into something called “a pit.” Or even an entire festival with tens of thousands moshed together, yet are somehow surprised how things might turn out. Yes it could happen in reserved seating, but that extra few feet can provide just enough of a barrier for someone  to think twice before doing something stupid.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,498
    edited July 2022
    I have a female friend  who now has a black swollen eye from a mans fist in the  krakow crowd. Just no need at all regardless  of "its g.a"  that  doesnt negate violence.  Getting sick of these idiots.  Her friend  has a split nose. They both queued all day and missed the show from  this violence.  Lets be clear a mans punch into a womans face. Not a mistake. The man told her go back to your  own country  you are only here because  its cheap..
    Imagine even  saying  that to someone .

Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Violence is becoming  more not less.  The more i hear from friends at these shows the more im appalled.  I hope 10c staff read  this.  Start dealing with violence because  most shows have had to be stopped and thats only what ed sees.  Kick these asshats out fast.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I agree that there are likely to be dopes who say "it is ga"
    F that.
    People in general are so fucking out of control.  Me first group of assholes, as a whole.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,114
    apirk72 said:
    Would've been nice if he took the moment to also say how shitty it is for people to be taking long videos blocking others views.  You still can hit someone over it.
    Blocking peoples views is not cool. 

But taking long videos has secured a lot of moments being caprured and not lost in time.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • apirk72 said:

But taking long videos has secured a lot of moments being caprured and not lost in time.
    Agree, for those who record without obstruction of others.  
    It seems most people don't get this idea, though.  Also, the video many take proves unwatchable to anyone beyond themselves, due to their own singing throughout.   :lol:   
    Im so angry  after speaking  with several people that had gigs ruined and had to spend most of it at a medical bay or out in the foyet because  of violence
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,889
    apirk72 said:

It seems most people don't get this idea, though.  Also, the video many take proves unwatchable to anyone beyond themselves, due to their own singing throughout.   :lol:   
    LOL.  I try hard not to sing if I’m recording something.  More importantly, I try not to hold the phone higher than my own eye level.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • apirk72 said:

LOL.  I try hard not to sing if I’m recording something.  More importantly, I try not to hold the phone higher than my own eye level.  
    I took a song from the seated area about 15 years ago....had a good angle so I didn't block anyone and had a good view/zoom.
    Goddammit I am a bad singer.  Last time I tried to record a song.
    I'll generally look around with the camera on a few times for 5 seconds or so. Take a snap or two when there is a break in the action so I can share what view I had.  
    That is it.  
    So many people have their phones out the majority of time.  As long as they don't block people, good for them....but I like to see it the old way, with my eyes!