Options

Roe v Wade

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,869
    get this piece of garbage religious activist judge off the bench. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/politics/samuel-alito-religious-liberty-notre-dame-rome/index.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/28/politics/samuel-alito-religious-liberty-notre-dame-rome/index.html
    Key remark not in the article but from the speech

Alito continued. “All I’m going to say is that, ultimately, if we are going to win the battle to protect religious freedom in an increasingly secular society, we will need more than positive law.”  

WTF does that mean!?

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,677
    static111 said:

Alito continued. “All I’m going to say is that, ultimately, if we are going to win the battle to protect religious freedom in an increasingly secular society, we will need more than positive law.”  

WTF does that mean!?

State mandated, sanctioned and enforced religion in all aspects of public life.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    static111 said:

WTF does that mean!?

Good grief, it's like we're heading back into the dark ages!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    static111 said:

WTF does that mean!?

Super weird that “religious freedom” means making everyone follow 1 religion.  Fuck those people.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    Is Kansas really going to vote down the potential of an abortion ban? That’d be a pretty big story. And turnout for a primary there is off the charts.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    Is Kansas really going to vote down the potential of an abortion ban? That’d be a pretty big story. And turnout for a primary there is off the charts.
    It's already called, 61-37%.  It wasn't even close.  
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    In a vacuum republicans seem to be pretty pro choice (or at least very divided), when it’s a single issue they get to vote on. The party will take note and stop letting people vote on it.  Those same people will vote for pro life politicians because they are fellow republicans.  Then they will just pass laws instead 

that’s probably the lesson from Kansas.  The Republican voters didn’t have to vote for a democrat on this, which they won’t do. they just had to vote on the issue 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    In a vacuum republicans seem to be pretty pro choice when it’s a single issue they get to vote on. The party will take note and stop letting people vote on it.  Those same people will vote for pro life politicians because they are fellow republicans.  Then they will just pass laws instead 

that’s probably the lesson from Kansas 
    I see the lesson as Evangelicals have an outsized influence on the party and the D's will be committing political malpractice if they don't somehow make it the most important issue in November.  

If gas gets down to under $3, I think that can happen.  

I think there is some sort of state Constitution protection they were trying to remove, that's why it was on the ballot.  I think FL has a similar issue, so abortion cannot be outright banned. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    In a vacuum republicans seem to be pretty pro choice when it’s a single issue they get to vote on. The party will take note and stop letting people vote on it.  Those same people will vote for pro life politicians because they are fellow republicans.  Then they will just pass laws instead 

I see the lesson as Evangelicals have an outsized influence on the party and the D's will be committing political malpractice if they don't somehow make it the most important issue in November.  

I think there is some sort of state Constitution protection they were trying to remove, that's why it was on the ballot.  I think FL has a similar issue, so abortion cannot be outright banned. 
    Yeah. Reproductive rights is in the state constitution.  They were trying to amend it so I believe that requires a vote

I can’t see any other states going with a ballot initiative on this by choice. Pro choice wins every time 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My original comment was more in reference to being surprised. The idiocy of republicans is stunning. I’ve worked closely with a cute young lady for the last 7 or so years, staunch Republican due to family, who tells me recently after the big Roe overturn she strongly supports womens reproductive rights (and programs to help the homeless as well). I stare at her stunned , like dude, you’ve  been screwing your gender royally the last 15 or so years. Do you have any idea how your loyalty to family “common think” has cost you? If I were only so lucky.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah. Reproductive rights is in the state constitution.  They were trying to amend it so I believe that requires a vote

I can’t see any other states going with a ballot initiative on this by choice. Pro choice wins every time 
    If it wins in Kansas, it wins everywhere except maybe Utah.  They also put it on the August ballot rather than November, anticipating low turnout. It got smoked! 
  • Options
    KS is a unique set of facts since their courts ruled abortion constitutional, which forced the pro life crowd to try to change their constitution. I’m having difficulty envisioning this happening  in many other red states. Could be wrong.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

If it wins in Kansas, it wins everywhere except maybe Utah.  They also put it on the August ballot rather than November, anticipating low turnout. It got smoked! 
    Happen to be in Wichita now, passing through.  I could hear the cheering from my hotel room that’s when I found out it was called 

people seem pretty happy here.  The billboards on the side of the interstate  today I would estimate were 90 percent pro life messaging though 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938

Kansas voters protect abortion rights, block path to ban
    By JOHN HANNA and MARGARET STAFFORD
    33 mins ago

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Kansas voters on Tuesday protected the right to get an abortion in their state, rejecting a measure that would have allowed their Republican-controlled Legislature to tighten abortion restrictions or ban it outright.

The referendum in the conservative state was the first test of U.S. voter sentiment about abortion rights since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June. It was a major victory for abortion rights advocates following weeks in which many states in the South and Midwest largely banned abortion.

Voters rejected a proposed amendment to the Kansas Constitution that would have added language stating that it does not grant the right to abortion. A 2019 state Supreme Court decision declared that access to abortion is a “fundamental” right under the state’s Bill of Rights, preventing a ban and potentially thwarting legislative efforts to enact new restrictions.

The referendum was closely watched as a barometer of liberal and moderate voters’ anger over the June ruling scrapping the nationwide right to abortion. The measure’s failure also was significant because of how conservative Kansas is and how twice as many Republicans as Democrats have voted in its August primaries in the decade leading up to Tuesday night’s tilt.

Kristy Winter, 52, a Kansas City-area teacher and unaffiliated voter, voted against the measure and brought her 16-year-old daughter with her to her polling place.

“I want her to have the same right to do what she feels is necessary, mostly in the case of rape or incest,” she said. “I want her to have the same rights my mother has had most of her life.”

Opponents of the measure predicted that the anti-abortion groups and lawmakers behind the measure would push quickly for an abortion ban if voters approved it. Before the vote, the measure’s supporters refused to say whether they would pursue a ban as they appealed to voters who supported both some restrictions and some access to abortion.

Stephanie Kostreva, a 40-year-old school nurse from the Kansas City area and a Democrat, said she voted in favor of the measure because she is a Christian and believes life begins at conception.

“I’m not full scale that there should never be an abortion,” she said. “I know there are medical emergencies, and when the mother’s life is in danger there is no reason for two people to die.”

An anonymous group sent a misleading text Monday to Kansas voters telling them to “vote yes” to protect choice, but it was suspended late Monday from the Twilio messaging platform it was using, a spokesperson said. Twilio did not identify the sender.

The 2019 Kansas Supreme Court decision protecting abortion rights blocked a law that banned the most common second-trimester procedure, and another law imposing special health regulations on abortion providers also is on hold. Abortion opponents argued that all of the state’s existing restrictions were in danger, though some legal scholars found that argument dubious. Kansas doesn’t ban most abortions until the 22nd week of pregnancy.

Backers of the measure began with advantage because anti-abortion lawmakers set the vote for primary election day, when for the past 10 years Republicans have cast twice as many ballots as Democrats. But the early-voting electorate was more Democratic than usual.

The Kansas vote is the start of what could be a long-running series of legal battles playing out where lawmakers are more conservative on abortion than governors or state courts. Kentucky will vote in November on whether to add language similar to Kansas’ to its state constitution.

Meanwhile, Vermont will decide in November whether to add an abortion rights provision to its constitution. A similar question is likely headed to the November ballot in Michigan.

In Kansas, both sides together spent more than $14 million on their campaigns. Abortion providers and abortion rights groups were key donors to the “no” side, while Catholic dioceses heavily funded the “yes” campaign.

The state has had strong anti-abortion majorities in its Legislature for 30 years, but voters have regularly elected Democratic governors, including Laura Kelly in 2018. She opposed the proposed amendment, saying changing the state constitution would “throw the state back into the Dark Ages.”

State Attorney General Derek Schmidt, a Republican hoping to unseat Kelly, supported the proposed constitutional amendment. He told the Catholic television network EWTN before the election that “there’s still room for progress” in decreasing abortions, without spelling out what he would sign as governor.

Although abortion opponents pushed almost annually for new restrictions until the 2019 state Supreme Court ruling, they felt constrained by past court rulings and Democratic governors like Kelly.

___

Stafford reported from Overland Park and Olathe.

___

Follow John Hanna on Twitter: https://twitter.com/apjdhanna

___

For AP’s full coverage of the Supreme Court ruling on abortion, go to https://apnews.com/hub/abortion.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Happen to be in Wichita now, passing through.  I could hear the cheering from my hotel room that’s when I found out it was called 

people seem pretty happy here.  The billboards on the side of the interstate  today I would estimate were 90 percent pro life messaging though 
    Yeah I was driving in SC this past week, all the way down I-95 and there were a shit ton of pro life boards.  You couldn't miss them.  But I think SC would defeat such a measure as easily as KS did. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,537
    Well this explains why Republicans are so afraid of democracy. Good to see the people showed up to save their freedom.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Billboards and other signage are indication that your average pro birth of voter is very devoted to the issue. But each of them only has one vote whereas most of the quieter folks are pro choice. I think there is a bit of an equivalency to people who really don’t think Biden won because his rallies are not as big. Fandom in fervor do not equal votes.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    yeah i was thinking that the overturing of roe vs wade was going to blow up in the republicans' faces, but then i thought "why would these red states even bring this issue to a vote ever again when they can just pass laws??"

i guess the constitutional protection has to be voted on by the people.

it is good that turnout was so high. hopefully it will be high at the midterms too.

if i were a dem running in kansas i would smear my opponent with the fact that they are against the right to choose and make that stick like velcro.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Billboards and other signage are indication that your average pro birth of voter is very devoted to the issue. But each of them only has one vote whereas most of the quieter folks are pro choice. I think there is a bit of an equivalency to people who really don’t think Biden won because his rallies are not as big. Fandom in fervor do not equal votes.
    Yes.  It’s pretty clear that’s what happened 

you would think by the messages Kansas is extremely pro life.   It isn’t in reality 

also republicans in other states are running attack ads against democrats in other states saying they are radical  for supporting the same access to abortion Kansas just overwhelmingly voted for.  Seems pretty mainstream to me and should  seem mainstream to everyone else now.  
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

you would think by the messages Kansas is extremely pro life.   It isn’t in reality 

also republicans in other states are running attack ads against democrats in other states saying they are radical  for supporting the same access to abortion Kansas just overwhelmingly voted for.  Seems pretty mainstream to me and should  seem mainstream to everyone else now.  
    States like TX, OK, and AR have no constitutional protection, so you would expect it to be fully illegal soon.  So KS will become a center for abortion in that part of the country.  Sweet, sweet irony...
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

States like TX, OK, and AR have no constitutional protection, so you would expect it to be fully illegal soon.  So KS will become a center for abortion in that part of the country.  Sweet, sweet irony...
    When Texas starts suing liberal Kansas that will make my day 

it’s funny because trump won Kansas by way more than Texas.  It’s quite a bit more red 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    According to the Kansas City Star, turnout might be 63%, the same as the 2008 presidential election.  That is crazy considering it was a primary in August, off year.  
  • Options
    It’s great KS sent a message to the country, but let’s be realistic, this is a narrow set of facts that are not applicable to most red states.

The bottom line is showing up once or twice can do a little something, but SCOTUS has the sledge hammer here, and can undo yesterdays vote in the dark of night if they so choose. It takes 20 years of voting every year, around the country, to undo the damage that the lack of democratic turnout and independent indifference from this last generation to undo what the gop has accomplished in setting up this court. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Go Kansas!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    According to the Kansas City Star, turnout might be 63%, the same as the 2008 presidential election.  That is crazy considering it was a primary in August, off year.  
    I saw a tweet from a journalist (so I can't quite vouch...) that the turnout for that vote was higher than the two gubernatorial primaries combined.

Honestly, if you'd told me that people would come out primarily to vote on that, I'd have thought it would go badly (because while most people are pro-choice, I have always believed there are more one-issue voters on the other side). Maybe this is a sign that pro-choicers are going to be more than passively pro-choice.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    It’s great KS sent a message to the country, but let’s be realistic, this is a narrow set of facts that are not applicable to most red states.

The bottom line is showing up once or twice can do a little something, but SCOTUS has the sledge hammer here, and can undo yesterdays vote in the dark of night if they so choose. It takes 20 years of voting every year, around the country, to undo the damage that the lack of democratic turnout and independent indifference from this last generation to undo what the gop has accomplished in setting up this court. 
    Yeah. In most sates, if a GOP-controlled legislature and Governor want to make this change, they can just do it. Kansas had a very specific scenario that broke the pro-choice way.

I do think this is a good indication of where people/voters stand on the issue. But I question whether that translates to a shift in party voting. I still suspect a lot of people that would vote "choice" over "birth" will accept all the other stuff they want will come at the price of an issue that isn't in their top-5.

I'm also interested to see what this does to GOP messaging around the issue. Will they back off on their draconian plans when campaigning (and will they be lying?)? Will they do what they can to avoid focus on the issue altogether (seems like a good strategy)? Will they say the majority doesn't matter because we're talking about equal rights of clumps of cells? (Bold and probably not effective).
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

Yeah. In most sates, if a GOP-controlled legislature and Governor want to make this change, they can just do it. Kansas had a very specific scenario that broke the pro-choice way.

I do think this is a good indication of where people/voters stand on the issue. But I question whether that translates to a shift in party voting. I still suspect a lot of people that would vote "choice" over "birth" will accept all the other stuff they want will come at the price of an issue that isn't in their top-5.

I'm also interested to see what this does to GOP messaging around the issue. Will they back off on their draconian plans when campaigning (and will they be lying?)? Will they do what they can to avoid focus on the issue altogether (seems like a good strategy)? Will they say the majority doesn't matter because we're talking about equal rights of clumps of cells? (Bold and probably not effective).
    I think you're already seeing candidates and office holders in some states hedging their words and trying to downplay or outright ignore the issue. That's what is happening here in VA.  But I expect that to be a top 3 issue to discuss at midterms, and if inflation/gas gets under control, it could be the top issue.  Now the GOP will try to make it about gas and "parents rights" because they see that as a winning issue, and abortion is a loser. 
  • Options
    Some people always thought that if Roe versus Wade was reversed that it would hurt to the GOP because they would have a harder time mobilizing voters. I’m sure many of them were unhappy at the decision. Even though they will still be able to take their mistresses across state or international lines when they need an abortion.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    how is the gop going to spin what happened in woke, blue, kansas last night?

have they called the election rigged yet?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."