• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:
    This case leaves me with a lot of questions.
    like, how do they determine the start of the pregnancy? I don’t know any method that I’d accurate within 3 days.
    Im assuming one of the reasons they went with a 6 week deadline is most adults would know they are pregnant by then. But a 10 year old very likely wouldn’t. And even if she did would probably be too afraid to come forward. Especially since statistically this would be rape by a family member.

as of the roe decision ohio has a complete ban, at least for now.
    so its doesnt matter when a woman who might know better or a 10 yr old who is gets pregnant.  none will be done in ohio.

Second paragraph of the article linked:
    Hours after the Supreme Court action, the Buckeye state had outlawed any abortion after six weeks. Now this doctor had a 10-year-old patient in the office who was six weeks and three days pregnant.
    They probably tracked her cycle. Her last period was 6 weeks and 3 days ago 
    Yeah but you don’t get pregnant the day of your last cycle, so that would be completely inaccurate. Seems like a really dumb way, can’t imagine that’s how they determine it.
    It is though.  that’s why you are never 2 weeks pregnant 
    It starts at 4 weeks 
    For example, a fertilised egg may have implanted in your womb just 2 weeks ago, but if the first day of your last period was 4 weeks ago, this means you're officially four weeks pregnant

There is a time frame it takes sperm to fertilise an egg and a time frame for an egg to implant sometimes longer sometimes shorter.  I’m not sure how they can determine with those variables. Your last period is known and the baseline for counting 
    I’ve had 2 kids and never knew that’s how they determined it. For us they just measured the embryo in an ultrasound and based on the size they determined the pregnant timeline. 
    I just assumed it started at fertilization, not at the cycle? So when the egg is fertilized you’re considered 2 weeks pregnant? I never knew that.
    Hopefully we can get a woman to chime in.

my experience with 3 kids was always being confused when they said, 4 weeks, 6 weeks, etc.  the math never worked out exactly.

Had my kids not literally looked exactly like me, I might have had questions 😂

I do think later they can/do adjust based on measurements but that early on there isn’t anything to measure 

you are also getting into fertilisation vs implantation.  A doctor doesn’t officially consider a pregnancy to have occurred until implantation.  Hence the debate on the IUD and emergency contraceptives that prevent implantation.  A fertilised egg itself isn’t a pregnancy. It’s just fertilised 
    Just did a Google search:

”How is the length of pregnancy measured?

It sounds odd, but doctors measure the beginning of a pregnancy as being the first day of your last period. Why? They’re tracking the length of pregnancy using a nearly 200-year-old calculation called Naegele’s Rule, named after Franz Karl Naegele, the German obstetrician who is credited with creating it in the 1800s.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/18/parenting/abortion-six-weeks-pregnant.html

That seems very strange to me. You don’t conceive until a week or 2 after that. 

Crazy right? With all the advanced technology we have today, that’s what we get

a six week Abortion ban sounds less reasonable now doesn’t it? Your average man says “six weeks is a long time”, but  it’s not 
    You’re right. And I was in that crowd where I thought it sounded like a lot of time. But you could potentially only be a week or so late and have no idea.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    This country is doomed. 

“You know, rape and incest is an ugly, ugly, ugly act of violence and that woman is truly harmed and scarred. Those wounds will never go away,” she said. “We need to make sure she has all of the love and help and support. But to end the pregnancy of the child is not going to erase the wounds or those scars. That child still has the right to life.”

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/07/ohio-state-representative-says-she-would-consider-banning-birth-control-following-abortion-outlaw.html

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    This country is doomed. 

“You know, rape and incest is an ugly, ugly, ugly act of violence and that woman is truly harmed and scarred. Those wounds will never go away,” she said. “We need to make sure she has all of the love and help and support. But to end the pregnancy of the child is not going to erase the wounds or those scars. That child still has the right to life.”

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/07/ohio-state-representative-says-she-would-consider-banning-birth-control-following-abortion-outlaw.html

It’s incredible how it seems like a large swath of population want to take this country back 50 years! Damn it’s 2022 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    This country is doomed. 

It’s incredible how it seems like a large swath of population want to take this country back 50 years! Damn it’s 2022 
    You're math is off.
    They don't want to go back 50 years or even to the '50s
    They want to go back to the 1750s.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    This country is doomed. 

You're math is off.
    They don't want to go back 50 years or even to the '50s
    They want to go back to the 1750s.
    Kind of… 1750’s with modern guns 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687

We watched the very excellent film "The Contender" last night and decided to make watching that movie an annual 4th of July event.  I mention it here because there is a part of the film that is very pertinent to this subject.  This could go in a number of other threads as well.  I can't say enough about this movie.  It is excellent!
    Amazoncom The Contender  Joan Allen Jeff Bridges Sam Elliott Philip  Baker Hall Kathryn Morris Gary Oldman William L Petersen Saul Rubinek  Christian Slater Mike Binder Mariel Hemingway Denis Maloney Larry  Groupe

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    An interesting, funny twist:

Texas woman given traffic ticket says unborn child counts as second passenger

Brandy Bottone, who is 34 weeks pregnant, pulled over by police for driving in high-occupancy vehicle lane for two or more people

A pregnant woman in Texas told police that her unborn child counted as an additional passenger after being cited for driving alone in a high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane, offering up a potentially clever defense for motorists navigating the legal landscape following the supreme court’s striking down of nationwide abortion rights last month.

Brandy Bottone of Plano, Texas, tried to fight a ticket for driving with only one passenger in an HOV lane – which requires at least two people in the car – by arguing that her unborn baby should count as her second passenger.

“[The officer] starts peeking around. He’s like, ‘Is it just you?’ And I said, ‘No there’s two of us?’” Bottone recounted to NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth. “And he said, ‘Well where’s the other person?’ And I went, ‘Right here,’” pointing to her stomach.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2022
    If you count 2 victims not 1 in the event a crime is committed against her, she isn’t wrong 

I think I’ll try the same thing, except 
    Jesus is my co-pilot 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    If you count 2 victims not 1 in the event a crime is committed against her, she isn’t wrong 

Jesus is my co-pilot 

Haha!

Jesus rides beside me
    And he never buys any smokes

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    edited July 2022

Jesus is my co-pilot 

think of all the potential children in the avg sack.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    mickeyrat said:

Jesus is my co-pilot 

thonk of all the potential children in the avg sack.....
    40-250 million per teaspoon according to Google 😂

It probably should require a commercial drivers license to move all that around
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/07/13/columbus-man-charged-rape-10-year-old-led-abortion-in-indiana/10046625002/

Fuck any and all who had anything to do with putting these puke republicans & Supreme Court jackasses in office. 

Republicans said it was unproven…..forget trump, the entire Republican Party is full of demons.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2022/07/13/columbus-man-charged-rape-10-year-old-led-abortion-in-indiana/10046625002/

Fuck any and all who had anything to do with putting these puke republicans & Supreme Court jackasses in office. 

Republicans said it was unproven…..forget trump, the entire Republican Party is full of demons.  
    This is a tragic case.  

And a political juicy one.  Showing just how wrong the republicans have been recently and especially in Ohio after Roe and just how wrong Democrats have been about illegal immigration it seems....

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

This is a tragic case.  

And a political juicy one.  Showing just how wrong the republicans have been recently and especially in Ohio after Roe and just how wrong Democrats have been about illegal immigration it seems....

and our fucking douchebag of an ag running to fucks news and declaring his doubts with some bullshit reasons.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

This is a tragic case.  

and our fucking douchebag of an ag running to fucks news and declaring his doubts with some bullshit reasons.
    Yup that was nuts. Always trying to spin and make it fit your agenda prior to actually understanding reality.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    mickeyrat said:

This is a tragic case.  

He denied it happened then 3 days later celebrated the arrest. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

This is a tragic case.  

right with a 2 sentence release.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

This is a tragic case.  

Looks like the Indiana AG will be investigating the doctor in the name of public interest. https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/13/indiana-doctor-10-year-old-rape-victim-00045764 

“We’re gathering the evidence as we speak, and we’re going to fight this to the end, including looking at her licensure if she failed to report. And in Indiana it’s a crime … to intentionally not report,” state Attorney General Todd Rokita said on Fox News on Wednesday night. “This is a child, and there’s a strong public interest in understanding if someone under the age of 16 or under the age of 18 or really any woman is having abortion in our state. And then if a child is being sexually abused, of course parents need to know. Authorities need to know. Public policy experts need to know.”
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Ohio AG a  real piece of work

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/state/man-arrested-for-raping-10-year-old-girl-from-ohio-who-reportedly-went-to-indiana-for-abortion

News 5 spoke with Yost later in the day. We pointed out that some have called for the attorney general to apologize and asked him if that was something he was prepared to do.

He said, “Apologize for what? Questioning a newspaper story?”

We said that some saw it as passing doubt on this girl’s story and her experiences.

“Remember, on Monday night we didn’t know that the girl even existed,” Yost said. “The doctor who inappropriately shot off her mouth to the press about a patient for political gain wouldn’t talk at all."

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/state/man-arrested-for-raping-10-year-old-girl-from-ohio-who-reportedly-went-to-indiana-for-abortion

News 5 spoke with Yost later in the day. We pointed out that some have called for the attorney general to apologize and asked him if that was something he was prepared to do.

We said that some saw it as passing doubt on this girl’s story and her experiences.

“Remember, on Monday night we didn’t know that the girl even existed,” Yost said. “The doctor who inappropriately shot off her mouth to the press about a patient for political gain wouldn’t talk at all."

What an asshat.  People suck.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    static111 said:

Would HIPPA apply in this case? 

What Information is Protected

Protected Health Information. The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html#:~:text=The Privacy Rule protects all,health information (PHI)."

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,582
    static111 said:

Protected Health Information. The Privacy Rule protects all "individually identifiable health information" held or transmitted by a covered entity or its business associate, in any form or media, whether electronic, paper, or oral. The Privacy Rule calls this information "protected health information (PHI)."12

https://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/privacy/laws-regulations/index.html#:~:text=The Privacy Rule protects all,health information (PHI)."

Not sure what you're asking here. HIPPA protects health information and the identity of the individual. I'm not sure what the doctor or whomever spoke to the press but to say something like, "we had a 10 year old patient who was raped and impregnated and subsequently had to travel across state lines to obtain an abortion," would not be a violation of HIPPA. Disclosing their name, address, social security number, parents' names or address or anything else that might identify them would be a violation of HIPPA. Medical personnel are allowed to speak in generalities. Key qualifier is "individually" before "identifiable health information."
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    static111 said:

Not sure what you're asking here. HIPPA protects health information and the identity of the individual. I'm not sure what the doctor or whomever spoke to the press but to say something like, "we had a 10 year old patient who was raped and impregnated and subsequently had to travel across state lines to obtain an abortion," would not be a violation of HIPPA. Disclosing their name, address, social security number, parents' names or address or anything else that might identify them would be a violation of HIPPA. Medical personnel are allowed to speak in generalities. Key qualifier is "individually" before "identifiable health information."
    Ok, thanks. My question was to ask if HIPPA would prevent the doctor from disclosing the 10-year-old's name or any details about the girl's healthcare.

“Remember, on Monday night we didn’t know that the girl even existed,” Yost said. “The doctor who inappropriately shot off her mouth to the press about a patient for political gain wouldn’t talk at all."
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    static111 said:

Ok, thanks. My question was to ask if HIPPA would prevent the doctor from disclosing the 10-year-old's name or any details about the girl's healthcare.

“Remember, on Monday night we didn’t know that the girl even existed,” Yost said. “The doctor who inappropriately shot off her mouth to the press about a patient for political gain wouldn’t talk at all."
    In that case, unless there is a large swath of impregnated-by-rape 10-year-olds leaving Ohio so that they can get an abortion in Indiana, I'd say that the doctor in this case revealed some pretty "individually identifiable health information."

But, hey, at least she got the story in the papers, right? Good on her?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

In that case, unless there is a large swath of impregnated-by-rape 10-year-olds leaving Ohio so that they can get an abortion in Indiana, I'd say that the doctor in this case revealed some pretty "individually identifiable health information."

You're goddam right,  good on her.  The girl hasn't been identified so her privacy remains and we know the risks of draconian Ohio law.   You have a problem with this?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited July 2022
    dankind said:
    static111 said:

No one even seemed to know what city or county this was from, so I don’t see that as being identifiable.
    Insee your point, but I don’t think it applies here. It more applies to those work emails we’d get every couple weeks of “Joe will be out of the office for 2 weeks. Please send all work emails to Sally.” Followed by another email that read “There has been a positive case in the building, that person is being quarantined for 2 weeks. Due to privacy, we cannot disclose who that was, but we will notify you if you had known close contact.”
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2022
    Also, it's HIPAA, not HIPPA. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

• Options

AP-NORC poll: Majority want Congress to keep abortion legal
    By HANNAH FINGERHUT
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — A majority of Americans say Congress should pass a law guaranteeing access to legal abortion nationwide, according to a new poll that finds over half say they feel at least somewhat “sad” or “angry” about the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

The high court’s decision asserted that abortion is not a constitutional right and handed states the authority to severely restrict or ban abortion. The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research poll shows many Americans back some restrictions on abortion, especially after the first trimester, but the most extreme measures introduced in some Republican-led states are at odds with the public — and with many of the people who live in them.

Faith Murphy, a 41-year-old in Coshocton, Ohio, said she was “quite upset” that the court overruled Roe and wants to see abortion access federally protected. While she's voted across the aisle, Murphy considers herself a Republican and doesn't want to see Republican leaders in her state and others push for restrictions.

“I don’t trust who we have in government here in Ohio ... to keep women’s rights or the right to an abortion for any reason whatsoever intact,” Murphy said.

Polling ahead of the June 24 decision suggested that overturning Roe would be unpopular with a majority of Americans who wanted to see the court uphold the 50-year precedent. The new poll, roughly three weeks after the decision, finds 53% of U.S. adults say they disapprove of the court’s decision, while 30% say they approve. An additional 16% say they neither approve nor disapprove.

Sixty percent think Congress should pass a law guaranteeing access to legal abortion nationwide. The House last Friday voted to restore abortion rights in the U.S., though the bill will likely stall in the Senate.

Overwhelming majorities also think their state should generally allow abortion in specific cases, including if the health of the pregnant person is endangered or if the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest. Few think abortion should always be illegal, and most Americans support their state generally allowing abortion six weeks into the pregnancy.

Those patterns persist even in the 23 states in which laws banning or tightening access to abortion have taken effect, will soon take effect or are being debated in court.

Blake Jones thinks six weeks “is far too early to be able to make a decision like that,” and while he personally doesn’t approve of abortion, the 28-year-old Democrat in Athens, Georgia, said he's pro-choice because he doesn’t believe “that my views should affect other people.”

Jones said he thinks the point of viability is more appropriate for restrictions on abortion, but even then, there should be exceptions if the pregnant person’s health is at risk or the baby would be born with a severe health issue.

Views about abortion at the 15-week mark are muddled. The poll shows Americans in states that have deepened restrictions on abortion are closely divided over abortion at 15 weeks into a pregnancy. That compares with about 6 in 10 Americans in other states saying abortion should be allowed at that point. That gap is similar on allowing abortion for “any reason."

Support dwindles across the board at 24 weeks into the pregnancy, with only about a third saying their state should generally allow for that.

While only about a third approve of the Supreme Court's decision, the poll finds about half of Americans think states should be responsible for establishing abortion laws.

Jeffrey Bouchelle agreed with the court because “it should’ve been a states’ rights issue in the first place.” The 57-year-old Republican in Farmers Branch, Texas, believes abortion is wrong, but as a state issue. Bouchelle accepted some states may allow abortion if that’s what the majority prefers.

“There should be access to abortion,” he said. “I just don’t think it should be in Texas.”

Overall, about a third of U.S. adults say they feel at least somewhat proud, relieved or excited about the court’s decision, a reflection that the decades-long effort to overturn Roe resonates with a sizable segment of the population.

“I’m happy with it,” Tammy Rardain said about the court’s decision. The 54-year-old Republican in Logan, Ohio, said her views on abortion are defined by her Christian faith. She wants to see a ban on abortion in Ohio at any point in the pregnancy.

More Americans — 55% — say they feel at least somewhat angry or sad about the decision, including about 4 in 10 who feel so strongly. Half say they feel at least somewhat anxious or hopeless — a sign that Democrats may struggle to turn feelings of anger into motivation to turn out to vote in this year’s midterm elections.

“I was really disappointed, and I felt as though our judicial system had failed us all,” said 41-year-old Democrat Candice Lampkin. “I truly believe that they’re infringing upon our civil rights and liberties.”

The Chicago resident said she wants abortion to be a federally protected right and is concerned about what health care, like birth control, might be targeted next. She hopes the issue will be top of mind for voters this fall.

“We have to do more during election season and make sure we hold our politicians accountable," she said.

___

The poll of 1,085 adults was conducted July 14-17 using a sample drawn from NORC’s probability-based AmeriSpeak Panel, which is designed to be representative of the U.S. population. The margin of sampling error for all respondents is plus or minus 3.9 percentage points.