*** BERLIN 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

Comments

• jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    Not a single 2021 or 2022 show rivals the worst show from 2003 to 2018 yet. I hope to see more shake ups in the sets like many others. Would love to see 24 to 27 songs but 20 and 22 with 15 staple song songs and 5 to 7 random songs just isn't worth the 15k dumped in to following the tour. Oh well
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,572
    Not a single 2021 or 2022 show rivals the worst show from 2003 to 2018 yet. I hope to see more shake ups in the sets like many others. Would love to see 24 to 27 songs but 20 and 22 with 15 staple song songs and 5 to 7 random songs just isn't worth the 15k dumped in to following the tour. Oh well
    It just seems like work now....show up and do what is required but no more than that. I hope we are overreacting. 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,917
    Keep in mind at least 3 of them had Covid this year.  Months after the infection a lot of people are still fatigued from it.  And these guys are in their fifties which is on the cusp of the age when it takes longer to recover.  Jeff and Matt are only a few weeks out.  That they can play a two hour show already is pretty impressive.  It’s possible the shows will get longer as their recovery continues.  After years of no shows I’m certainly not going to complain that the shows are too short.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    Keep in mind at least 3 of them had Covid this year.  Months after the infection a lot of people are still fatigued from it.  And these guys are in their fifties which is on the cusp of the age when it takes longer to recover.  Jeff and Matt are only a few weeks out.  That they can play a two hour show already is pretty impressive.  It’s possible the shows will get longer as their recovery continues.  After years of no shows I’m certainly not going to complain that the shows are too short.  
    Yeah but the 3 ohana shows were the same length... No covid 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,917
    Yeah but the 3 ohana shows were the same length... No covid 
    They were festivals though.  And they were great.  Especially the Encore Friday.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    In reality, this is only affecting a very small percentage of their fans. The majority are walking away extremely satisfied.  So while I'm sure the band is aware of how their shows are changing, they are probably not overly concerned about it. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,323
    In reality, this is only affecting a very small percentage of their fans. The majority are walking away extremely satisfied.  So while I'm sure the band is aware of how their shows are changing, they are probably not overly concerned about it. 
    I guess we’ll see in time. In my experience, most of their live audience aren’t casual fans.  Sets like these will definitely result in less shows attended. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    edited June 2022
    Would be very interesting to see that breakdown. I still don't think they'll have any trouble selling out shows. I just think you'll have a lot less people attending multiple shows. With covid, I'm not sure how much, if any, press/media they are doing. But will be interesting to see if they are asked about it at some point. And how they would respond. It would be a legitimate question

I'm holding out hope that they are easing into and and building up stamina. But it's looking more and more like this is how it's going to moving forward.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Most people who I have talked to at their shows haven't seen more than 3 performances by them. We're in a bit of an echo chamber on this forum.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Most people who I have talked to at their shows haven't seen more than 3 performances by them. We're in a bit of an echo chamber on this forum.
    Not in my experience but then again I’m on the east coast and have the misfortune of these shows being destination shows for fans. 
    They haven't been to Indy in 12 years. I'm guessing they would have a greatest hits setlist on their next visit.

Fucking Dave Matthews is here Fri/Sat this week.

• CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,347
    Their festival sets have traditionally been shorter so no surprise there. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
    CO278952 said:
    Right....the surprise has been that the non festival setlists are the same length and songs

CO278952 said:
    Right....the surprise has been that the non festival setlists are the same length and songs
    And even more surprising is the lack of variety. Yes they switch it up, but they’re not digging deep at all and are ignoring multiple albums. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,842
    I get ignoring multiple albums because at some point you have too many albums to hit them all when playing a typical 22 song setlist.  If they followed the same setlist every night there would be no chance of hitting all the albums.  
    edited June 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:
    And even more surprising is the lack of variety. Yes they switch it up, but they’re not digging deep at all and are ignoring multiple albums. 
    Ignoring Binaural and RA has been the case for several years....but yeah the lack of variety is disappointing. And again....I'm ok with shorter setlists but dump the covers and give us variety. If the idea of the standard setlist is to appease the non die hard fans then a good compromise would be to play Rival and Cropduster over Throw your Hatred Down and I Believe in Miracles.  The NDH fans don't want to hear the covers either.

nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:
    Ignoring Binaural and RA has been the case for several years....but yeah the lack of variety is disappointing. And again....I'm ok with shorter setlists but dump the covers and give us variety. If the idea of the standard setlist is to appease the non die hard fans then a good compromise would be to play Rival and Cropduster over Throw your Hatred Down and I Believe in Miracles.  The NDH fans don't want to hear the covers either.
    100%
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,842
    nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:
    Makes a lot of sense.
  • jimjam1982jimjam1982 Posts: 1,415
    edited June 2022
    Did Ed also talk for 20 minutes at this show? US shows were getting near 30 minutes of the set wasted with pointless banter about someone who passed away or some actor friend. 

Because that means it's more like 1.5 hours of music. Which is just a tough pill to swallow

I like stories about songs or his rants on war/politics but it's moved to just small talk. Might as well talk about the weather.
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,828
    edited June 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:
    I'm not even talking about Deep cuts when I talk about variety.  There are songs that were previous singles/radio releases that have completely disappeared. 

How many combined appearances have we seen of Hail Hail, WWS, Life Wasted, Breakerfall, Grievance, The Fixer, In Hiding, I Am Mine, I could go on and on.....

The deep cuts thing doesn't bother me a whole lot, but there are just so many classic but also popular PJ songs that have seemingly disappeared, and that's what I think many of us also mean when we discuss a lack of variety.  
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,399
    nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:
    100% agree.  Well said.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:
    I'm not even talking about Deep cuts when I talk about variety.  There are songs that were previous singles/radio releases that have completely disappeared. 

How many combined appearances have we seen of Hail Hail, WWS, Life Wasted, Breakerfall, Grievance, The Fixer, In Hiding, I Am Mine, I could go on and on.....

The deep cuts thing doesn't bother me a whole lot, but there are just so many classic but also popular PJ songs that have seemingly disappeared, and that's what I think many of us also mean when we discuss a lack of variety.  
    holy shit I forgot about In Hiding....great fucking song that they haven't played for FOUR YEARS

nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:

holy shit I forgot about In Hiding....great fucking song that they haven't played for FOUR YEARS
    Inexcusable 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CO278952 said:

Inexcusable 
    Scratched in Phoenix this year for Black...

• DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 479
    For all the people in the past complaining about having too many stadium shows vs. smaller venues, this is a consequence ... Ed always talked about how stadium shows with no opener put more pressure on them to do bigger/crazier sets.  Maybe this could still happen if they go back to stadiums next year.
    Discopij said:
    For all the people in the past complaining about having too many stadium shows vs. smaller venues, this is a consequence ... Ed always talked about how stadium shows with no opener put more pressure on them to do bigger/crazier sets.  Maybe this could still happen if they go back to stadiums next year.
    Makes no sense. 2013? 2014? 2016? Stadiums vs arenas has nothing to do with these sets. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    nicknyr15 said:
    Discopij said:
    Makes no sense. 2013? 2014? 2016? Stadiums vs arenas has nothing to do with these sets. 
    The amount of reasons I have heard for the reasoning of these shorter sets is amazing to me. 

• RyanRyan Posts: 1,100
    I’d guess there are a few things at play regarding the shorter sets.  Ed seemed to struggle the first few shows in 2018, London 2 had to get postponed, and I thought he was pretty rough the remainder of the tour.  3.5 years off, and older likely has something to do with it, along with a relatively busy itinerary.
    It should be noted as well that the 2018 shows were shorter as a whole than the 2016 shows, and many of the 2016 shows were shorter than the 2013/2014 shows.  
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,399
    PJNB said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Discopij said:
    The amount of reasons I have heard for the reasoning of these shorter sets is amazing to me. 

I heard it's because the stage lights are too bright for ed and they are affecting his vision.  ed is pretty stubborn and he refuses to wear glasses like bono has.  again just what I heard.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 656
    Did Ed also talk for 20 minutes at this show? US shows were getting near 30 minutes of the set wasted with pointless banter about someone who passed away or some actor friend. 
    You don't want to hear 5 minutes on what a great guy Bill Murray is (and how those allegations can't be true)?
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.