Oklahoma City question

JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
PJ cancelled their 2016 show in NC because of bathrooms.  So are they going to play in a state that makes abortion illegal after conception?     Just make sure hotel and plane flights are refundable. 

Comments

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    JZ280705 said:
    PJ cancelled their 2016 show in NC because of bathrooms.  So are they going to play in a state that makes abortion illegal after conception?     Just make sure hotel and plane flights are refundable. 
    I hope they cancel.... that's another state on list I'll never visit. 
  • bmurray06bmurray06 Austin, Texas Posts: 144
    I really hope not. I live in Austin and with the Eddie Vedder show I was planning going to in San Diego postponed and having a conflict for the rescheduled show and Vegas getting canceled last night, I'd feel gutted for the next planned trip I have away getting canceled as well. I see the point you're making about their crappy govenor but for the second poster, I feel its a rather silly comment. Just like Austin doesn't represent the state as a whole, OKC doesn't represent Oklahoma as a whole. I rather like the town. Solid night life and food scene. It spawned the Flaming Lips. My only beef with OKC is they stole the Sonics from Seattle.
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,757
    If they’re going to go down that path half of the country won’t be playable soon. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    It had entered my mind as well. And while I may agree with them in principle, I'm gonna be super pissed if they cancel. I had tickets for dmb at Hollywood Bowl that night and canceled the entire trip because of the rescheduled OKC date.
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,640
    It had entered my mind as well. And while I may agree with them in principle, I'm gonna be super pissed if they cancel. I had tickets for dmb at Hollywood Bowl that night and canceled the entire trip because of the rescheduled OKC date.
    First world problems...
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Cancelling shows for political reasons is a very slippery slope. This show in this state, but not that show in that state. In the specific case of OKC, people held onto tickets for more than two years at this point. If Pearl Jam doesn't want to return because of the state's bullshit, that's one thing. But they have an obligation to play this show. IMO

All that said...I don't think this show is any danger of being cancelled for this reason. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    First world problems...
    Undoubtedly so. But it's still not gonna make me feel any better. ;)
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    ComeToTX said:
    If they’re going to go down that path half of the country won’t be playable soon. 

Which makes perfect sense, because a lot of us don’t feel comfortable traveling to states with extremist politics. Guns everywhere on the streets and sending the full force of the law to a womans gyno visit, what an effing country. Very surprised they scheduled shows in OK and MO.

Maybe they believe they can reach the unreachable.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    JimmyV said:
    Cancelling shows for political reasons is a very slippery slope. This show in this state, but not that show in that state. In the specific case of OKC, people held onto tickets for more than two years at this point. If Pearl Jam doesn't want to return because of the state's bullshit, that's one thing. But they have an obligation to play this show. IMO

All that said...I don't think this show is any danger of being cancelled for this reason. 
    Because of those other reasons I agree

going forward it probably will and should impact where they play 
    ComeToTX said:

Which makes perfect sense, because a lot of us don’t feel comfortable traveling to states with extremist politics. Guns everywhere on the streets and sending the full force of the law to a womans gyno visit, what an effing country. Very surprised they scheduled shows in OK and MO.

Then don’t travel there. 
    edited May 2022
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:

Then don’t travel there. 
    Wouldn’t the same be true of the band? They feel the same way.

I think you sort of proved the point of why they shouldn’t travel there 

Don’t like it don’t go isn’t just a position that should be applied to concert goers 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    Hard to take a stand against the politics of a state but also play in Hungary. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    ComeToTX said:
    Lol
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited May 2022
    ComeToTX said:
    I’m not Hungarian so I care a lot less about what they do there. I don’t necessarily see a contradiction as it’s a lot less relevant in a lot of ways. 

I don’t  like what’s happening there but I’m not losing any sleep over it either. That’s up to Hungarians to fix, what’s happening here is up to Americans to fix 
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    All with good OKC seats should sell.  Preferably with a heads up to me for the drop time :)   
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    edited May 2022
    ComeToTX said:
    I’m not Hungarian so I care a lot less about what they do there. I don’t necessarily see a contradiction as it’s a lot less relevant in a lot of ways. 

I don’t  like what’s happening there but I’m not losing any sleep over it either. That’s up to Hungarians to fix, what’s happening here is up to Americans to fix 
    Right. And those of us in these states passing laws we don’t agree with shouldn’t be punished because our governors are doing things we don’t like. Or should we all just move to another state and give up on the places we live?
    Post edited by ComeToTX on
  • JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    edited May 2022
    Roger Waters boycotts Israel who he is obsessed with, and is a useful idiot for Hamas who arrests and tortured their own people,  whose press he has given interviews to.  He also defends Assad and other murderous dictators.  A bigger hypocrite I’ve never seen.

Meanwhile, he plays dozens of shows in the US despite his profound hatred for our country which he constantly shuts on, while raging against the evils of capitalism from his luxury mansion in the Hamptons.  

Six days before Russia attacked Ukraine, Waters went on the pro Putin RT where he gave this despicable interview.  He’s been a fan of Putin for years and has yet to apologize for it.  

Waters is the only act whose politics has made me boycott him despite my having been a fan of Pink Floyd since 1970.

I wish musicians would just play music and not act like they are experts on political matters even one’s I may agree with.  Who cares what actors, celebrities and musicians think.  If they want to use their art to unite people, that’s great. But usually it’s to satisfy their own ego.  Google “Film Actors Guild”

Post edited by JZ280705 on
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    ComeToTX said:
    ComeToTX said:

Right. And those of us in these states passing laws we don’t agree with shouldn’t be punished because our governors are doing things we don’t like. Or should we all just move to another state and give up on the places we live?
    The simple fact that people can’t wrap their minds around there being more people in Texas who’s views align with “insert dem state here” than those who actually live in “insert dem state here”, says all you need to know. California being the only exception in the last election. The amount of generalizing based solely on which states are shown blue or red on a map is laughable. 
    Exactly. Texas had more Biden voters than any state outside California. 
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    You see it in every State. I live in Southern Illinois and I might as well be living Oklahoma or Texas politically locally. Illinois has the reputation of being a blue state, but outside of Chicago, Springfield, St Louis Metro area and few other places, the State is as red as a fire hydrant. 
  • JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    Both parties are so off the rails it’s unreal.  But having said that, music - especially live music, should be a place for people to come together.   Or if you have to do something political, do something everyone can get behind.  Like Springsteen with the food bank, veterans.  How about stopping dog meat festival.  Bring people together or at least don’t provoke divide people paying their hard earned money to be entertained.
    edited May 2022
    You see it in every State. I live in Southern Illinois and I might as well be living Oklahoma or Texas politically locally. Illinois has the reputation of being a blue state, but outside of Chicago, Springfield, St Louis Metro area and few other places, the State is as red as a fire hydrant. 
    Yep. The real divide in this country is rural vs. urban. Rural California or Oregon is the same as rural Alabama. Same with cities. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    ComeToTX said:
    Exactly. Texas had more Biden voters than any state outside California. 
    And California had more Trump voters than any state period.  It is very useful to remember this when we talk about the red state/blue state divide.  There were more Trump voters in CA than TX, more Biden voters in TX than NY, more Trump voters in NY than OH, more Biden voters in OH than MA, more Trump voters in MA than MS, and more Biden voters in MS than VT.

It would be foolish and unfair to boycott Oklahoma, especially when the band has been holding the ticket money for over two years.  "Punishing" people who may or may not agree with particular legislation is unfair.  And what if they agree with you about one issue but disagree about another issue?  Should they get a questionnaire or commission a poll before shows are scheduled?  It's like the Catholic bishops withholding Communion from politicians who support a woman's right to an abortion, but who are conveniently silent about other politicians who support the death penalty, which directly contravenes the Church's teaching.  And a boycott would be foolish because it wouldn't accomplish anything.  Many of the people on the other side of this issue from Pearl Jam are opposed to abortion because they believe it is murder, and they believe God disapproves of it.  Rock band boycotts are not going to sway them from these deeply held beliefs.

With respect to the "I wish musicians would just play music" argument, I think that's simplistic.  Musicians are artists.  For many artists, including Pearl Jam, the songs are political.  Pearl Jam has been writing anti-war songs ("Garden"; "Yellow Ledbetter") and making pro-choice statements ("Porch") since the beginning.  You can't separate their music and their politics.  And it has been 30 years.  It's a known quantity.  If you go see Pearl Jam in 2022, you know there might be politics.  If you can't stomach it, don't go.  I always remember a friend who complained about Bono getting political at U2 shows by saying, "I don't want to hear about politics.  Just sing 'Sunday Bloody Sunday.'"  The song is obviously very political, but the friend was oblivious because he was ignorant of Irish history and politics.  What really bothered him is not when someone talked about politics; it was when someone talked about politics in a way that he disagreed with.  This is a common phenomenon.

I mostly align with Pearl Jam politically, and definitely on abortion and war, and I sometimes get uncomfortable when Eddie talks about politics, but mostly because I think he sometimes can be didactic and dismissive and I think it ends up being counterproductive-- in other words, it preaches to the choir but doesn't convert anyone else and actually might alienate some people.  I will say that I thought he managed to address political issues in a much more appealing way on this tour.  His two political asides in Fresno (on guns and abortion) were particularly thoughtful and humorous.

I'm more uncomfortable with athletes getting political because, unlike artists, their job does not entail the promulgation of any sort of ideas.  There's also something coercive about political stands in team sports.  When Muhammad Ali took a stand against the Vietnam War, he represented himself alone and he bore the consequences of his actions alone.  When an MLB team all gets together in support of, for example, Black Lives Matter, you know there are players on that team that either don't believe that, or who just would rather not put themselves out there one way or the other on social or political issues, but they don't want to be the guy who causes a rift in the locker room by saying, "I don't want to be part of this."  That's troublesome.  Having said that, I don't begrudge any athlete using their platform to further a cause, but I totally understand why some people get upset about it when they do.

Last thing: it's one of the interesting things about the rock world.  Pearl Jam and many other rock bands are very liberal, particularly on social issues, but their fans tend to be older and whiter, which is demographically a conservative cohort.  There will always be a tension there.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • JZ280705 said:
    Roger Waters boycotts Israel who he is obsessed with, and is a useful idiot for Hamas who arrests and tortured their own people,  whose press he has given interviews to.  He also defends Assad and other murderous dictators.  A bigger hypocrite I’ve never seen.

Meanwhile, he plays dozens of shows in the US despite his profound hatred for our country which he constantly shuts on, while raging against the evils of capitalism from his luxury mansion in the Hamptons.  

Six days before Russia attacked Ukraine, Waters went on the pro Putin RT where he gave this despicable interview.  He’s been a fan of Putin for years and has yet to apologize for it.  

Waters is the only act whose politics has made me boycott him despite my having been a fan of Pink Floyd since 1970.

I wish musicians would just play music and not act like they are experts on political matters even one’s I may agree with.  Who cares what actors, celebrities and musicians think.  If they want to use their art to unite people, that’s great. But usually it’s to satisfy their own ego.  Google “Film Actors Guild”

Musicians, artists and entertainers are people and as such they have every right to express themselves politically. Just you have the right to express that you wish they wouldn’t.  The guys in Pearl Jam have been politically active from the very beginning.  They guys in Pearl Jam seem to put in the work to inform themselves on various political issues.  All of the guys are very involved in giving to various communities which is inherently political. If you don’t want to hear about politics you need to find a different band.  These guys have the time and the resources and the experience in various political and charitable organizations.  They might not be experts but they are well informed and passionate. They make mistakes and they make choices and say things you might disagree with and that I disagree with but I would never presume to tell another human being to stop being themselves and entertain me.  That is a weird , entitled thing to demand. Why should they shut up?  Maybe you should move on?   Or stick around and enjoy the music and ignore the politics if you don’t like it and protest if they offend you. It is your right after all.