We wanna hear the hits!!!

Comments

• Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    Might be in the minority here but I would love to hear a Hits concert. They could easiest pull it off as a 1 or 2 time thing. Think Ontario/Wrigley 2013. Two shows played randomly in the summer. I also feel that Ten Club members have this perception that we fill out almost every seat in an arena as opposed to “locals” probably buying 75% of the tickets. Those 75% are the people that want to hear Even Flow and not take a piss break, they take a piss when Strangest Tribe is played. The energy from a hits show may be too much honestly, it wouldn’t stop. Wrigley 2016 night 2, the first 17 or 18 songs were all hits or had radio play and the vibe was insane. They had to slow it down in Encore 1 for the crowds sake. 
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    They would absolutely destroy all the hits.  That would be a fun ass show.   Crowd would be deafening.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bzouidenbzouiden Posts: 134
    edited May 2022
    So this is Pearl Jam world and here we don't care about stuff that is popular on the radio and played to the point where it gets old or as they say "hits" (who says that in 2022?).  They are all "hits" here (even Sweet Lew).  I always get a little disappointed at first when I hear Alive (until half way through when I realize it is still great)again but when I hear something new live that is always a little exciting.  I got to hear a lot of the new Album at Ohana last year and to know me and 20000 others heard Buckle up played for the 1st time that is just thrilling. Second about touring infrequently either A.) You don't follow the actual band so maybe don't know when they tour.  or B.) Your frame of reference is a cover band or someone with a lot less on their plate.  I have been to a lot of shows and Pearl Jam is the only band I know of that sets aside a large number of tickets for fans.  I did not get any of the ones I requested this year but it was the 1st year that happened.  Still going to 2 shows when I hope to hear anything they would like to play.  At this point I would be thrilled if Eddie just talked about politics for 3 hours.  
    Kansas City 1998  /\  Kansas City 2000  /\  Kansas City 2003  /\  St. Louis 2014
    Ohana Encore N1 & N2 2021 /\ St. Louis 2022  /\  OKC 2022  /\  Chicago N1 & N2 2023
    Chicago N1 & N2 2024

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,633
    A non deep cuts show would be amazing. Like when they play an album all the way through. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    bzouiden said:
    So this is Pearl Jam world and here we don't care about stuff that is popular on the radio and played to the point where it gets old or as they say "hits" (who says that in 2022?).  They are all "hits" here (even Sweet Lew).  I always get a little disappointed at first when I hear Alive (until half way through when I realize it is still great)again but when I hear something new live that is always a little exciting.  I got to hear a lot of the new Album at Ohana last year and to know me and 20000 others heard Buckle up played for the 1st time that is just thrilling. Second about touring infrequently either A.) You don't follow the actual band so maybe don't know when they tour.  or B.) Your frame of reference is a cover band or someone with a lot less on their plate.  I have been to a lot of shows and Pearl Jam is the only band I know of that sets aside a large number of tickets for fans.  I did not get any of the ones I requested this year but it was the 1st year that happened.  Still going to 2 shows when I hope to hear anything they would like to play.  At this point I would be thrilled if Eddie just talked about politics for 3 hours.  
    I’d be extremely disappointed if Ed just talked about anything.
    The do tour infrequently compared to 15 or 20 years ago. Excluding Covid delays, it’s still only a mini tour every 3-4 years. Last time I saw them without having to travel was 2014. Last time I saw them at all was 2018 and I have to fly to see them. That’s not frequent touring by any standards. i used to be able to count on 3-4 shows every couple years if I was willing to drive a few hours. Now I hope for 1 or 2 shows every 2 or 3 years if I’m willing to fly.
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    I went to the PHX show with my brother, casual fan, and he said they should have played more from Ten!  I said, man, they played 5 songs from Ten, plus Daughter, Small Town, Better Man, Corduroy!  You can't make everyone happy, but I think they try.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited May 2022
    ddeschler said:
    I went to the PHX show with my brother, casual fan, and he said they should have played more from Ten!  I said, man, they played 5 songs from Ten, plus Daughter, Small Town, Better Man, Corduroy!  You can't make everyone happy, but I think they try.
    Songs at concerts are better if you’ve heard them before. I tend to think generally the “they should have played more from ten” kind of comments have more to do with that’s the only songs they have even heard before. Not necessarily that they are the better songs or even the hits. It’s really hard to grasp a song the first time you hear it 

it’s less a reflection on the song catalog than it is about being a low information concert attendee.  I’m the same way when I go to a random concert.  However I don’t go to those shows with any specific expectation either 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JimmyV said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Go Animal said:
    I want to be at a show with the OP, and have this be the setlist:
    1. Alright
    2. Breakerfall
    3. Gonna See My Friend
    4. All Night
    5. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
    6. Of The Girl
    7. Of The Earth
    8. Severed Hand
    9. Light Years
    10. Undone
    11. Just Breathe
    12. You Are
    13. Quick Escape
    14. Lightning Bolt
    15. The Fixer
    16. Wasted Reprise
    17. Life Wasted
    18. Seven O'Clock
    19. (encore break)
    20. Worldwide Suicide
    21. Superblood Wolfmoon
    22. Green Disease
    23. Love Reign O'er Me
    24. River Cross
    25. (encore break 2)
    26. Fuckin' Up
    Sorry but his show would be boring as hell 
    It would be absolutely horrendous.  lol
    It would be glorious! 
    I'm as hardcore as you guys and even I would be bored as hell at a show like that.  After all these years I still love seeing rvm and porch live.  Just breathe into you are?  Just stop. ;)
    Yeah, I was mistaken in what set we were referencing. I'm right there with you. Edited above. 
    My fault for not being more clear.

Are these all the "Hits"?:
    evenflow
    alive
    black
    jeremy
    daughter
    elderly
    betterman
    corduroy
    given to fly
    dte
    last kiss

I guess next tier "hits" would be:
    porch
    release
    go
    animal
    rvm
    immortality
    present tense
    in hiding

Nothing after 1999 correct?
    They have more than that. Unless you mean Hot 100 hits or top 40 then less
    I miss igotid88
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    I'm guessing the OP would have been somewhat pleased with tonight's show in Oakland.
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
    I just want what has been the norm since 2000.  A good, somewhat unpredictable mix of hits, deep cuts, hopefully a rarity and even an off the wall cover.  New album tours get 6-8 songs from it.  The tour this year has now turned into new album 3-4 songs and the rest is the usual suspects.  Very disappointing 
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,392
    Looks like Oakland 1 got the hits.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,046
    mcgruff10 said:
    & only 24 songs... a great night for the crowd that prefers fewer songs.  :D 
  • edoconedocon Posts: 324
    A non deep cuts show would be amazing. Like when they play an album all the way through. 
    If they played Binaural or Riot Act, that would probably amount to a deep cuts show to many in attendance. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,837
    mace1229 said:
    bzouiden said:
    I’d be extremely disappointed if Ed just talked about anything.
    The do tour infrequently compared to 15 or 20 years ago. Excluding Covid delays, it’s still only a mini tour every 3-4 years. Last time I saw them without having to travel was 2014. Last time I saw them at all was 2018 and I have to fly to see them. That’s not frequent touring by any standards. i used to be able to count on 3-4 shows every couple years if I was willing to drive a few hours. Now I hope for 1 or 2 shows every 2 or 3 years if I’m willing to fly.
    To put things in perspective.  This is Pearl Jam’s first tour since 2018 (due to Covid).  There are four shows left on this leg.  It feels like it just started because it just did and already halfway over.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,781
    first post. member for 2 days now. alrighty then.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrk2mrk2 Posts: 2,067
    edited May 2022
    nevermind.
    Post edited by mrk2 on
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    And Ed played 2 songs pre-show, maybe those should count towards the total?  Very good effort, long time on stage, esp considering the circumstances.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 247
    Last night was my son's first PJ show, so songs I normally would not want to hear - certainly not all in the same night - I was absolutely thrilled that they played! "Jeremy," "Daughter," "Better Man," "RITFW," "Baba," "Ledbetter"...it was perfect, my son just started playing guitar the past couple years so we got as close to Mike as possible so he could watch him wail...I loved it.

But that was last night...my son isn't going tonight, so I want "Riot Act" played in its entirety, "Of The Earth," "Falling Down," eight songs from Gigaton, "Rats," "Satan's Bed," "Speed Of Sound"...that might happen tonight, right?!?
  • merlin401merlin401 Posts: 230
    I wonder if they ever considered splitting the shows when they play two nights in the same venue as an official policy:  night one hits heavy, call it “classic Pearl jam” and night two be more interesting “an experimental night with Pearl Jam” or something.  Maybe even offer more ten club tickets night two and less night one.  I totally get that there’s a place for both types of show. It would help everyone chasing their type of show and their favorite deep cuts to zero in on the best chance of those things happening too. 
    Jones Beach II (2000), Holmdel (2003), Camden I, East Rutherford II, Gorge I, Gorge II (2006), MSG I, Boston II (2008), Spectrum II, Spectrum III, Spectrum IV (2009), MSG I, MSG II (2010), Prague (2012), Philly I (2013), Philly I, Philly II, Fenway I (2016), Fenway I (2018), MSG (2022), MSG I, Fenway 1 (2024)
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    mcgruff10 said:
    That's actually the most they played this tour
    I miss igotid88
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Since the time of the Bash Brothers, Oakland has been a hits kind of town...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,734
    Damn this thread and it’s jinx!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,101
    I think it is obvious why the hits were out, last night.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,145
    I think it is obvious why the hits were out, last night.

No doubt! That or reschedule the show.  I think the fans got something very unique last night. 
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 || Chicago, IL August 29, 2024 
    JimmyV said:
    No…just no.  Take your dad jokes elsewhere.  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    JimmyV said:
    Tough crowd. Probably time to soften you up with a hit!

Jeremy...that's your cue.  

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    Tough crowd. Probably time to soften you up with a hit!

Jeremy...that's your cue.  
    Ha.  You know I get comfort from the familiar.
    edited May 2022
    edocon said:
    If they played Binaural or Riot Act, that would probably amount to a deep cuts show to many in attendance. 
    Most actually. Ten club members are the extreme minority at these shows. Look at all the posts on Porch, it’s pretty much the same hundred people posting 95% of the content 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    edited May 2022
    edocon said:
    Most actually. Ten club members are the extreme minority at these shows. Look at all the posts on Porch, it’s pretty much the same hundred people posting 95% of the content 
    The same thing has happened on the dmb warehouse boards. Years ago, that place was hopping. Now, it's just the same 20 people arguing with each other all the time. I think that's more a reflection on message boards in general, not the size of a fanbase.
    edocon said:
    The same thing has happened on the dmb warehouse boards. Years ago, that place was hopping. Now, it's just the same 20 people arguing with each other all the time. I think that's more a reflection on message boards in general, not the size of a fanbase.
    My brother has been in DMBs fan club since 1995z I love it because we never have seats past Row B and he says he’s always sitting next to the same people at every single show.