*** LA NIGHT 1 2022 SETLIST THREAD ***

1234568»

Comments

• MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,055
    Maybe it’s a supply chain issue? Do they order their songs from overseas? 
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    This was a damn good setlist. Sign me up for this any day of the week. By all accounts it sounds as if the band is playing tight and sounds great. Couldn’t be more pumped to hit the 3 shows I signed up for. 
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,828
    It was a great show to be at.  The pit and crowd were relatively calm, but again, we’re all 6 years older than the last time we met in an arena.

A big reason for lack of white whale songs is the removal of encore 1.  You were always good for a couple rare songs during that first encore.  Now that encore 1 and 2 are just “encore”, there’s no where else for some of those songs to fit.

I do think this is probably the new norm, especially for arena shows.  There will still be destination shows which will crack 30+ songs, but as others have said, the 2022 US arena tour is going to be exactly what it is called, the Gigaton tour.  
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,540
    Comparable is 2013-14 last album tour, they averaged 35 songs with 6 from LB. Now it’s low 20s with 8 from Gig, creates an entirely different set list dynamic, enhanced by the longer song lengths on Gig. For an album tour they are cutting set list size overall but increased the new album song count.

two hour twenty is plenty long for a show, if covers are out and storytelling is minimized. Perhaps if they can treat the new album set list size in the same manner as the show size (needs to be reduced) it would create a different dynamic. 5 or 6 of 22/23 seems like a good ratio.

I get they are proud of gig, and they should be, but nearly half the show dedicated to it (given the set list reputation they worked hard to establish) is going to be an adjustment for many fans.  Maybe traveling cross country or internationally may not be as appealing.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549

Pearl Jam - FAITHFUL - Live Los Angeles, CA

https://youtu.be/oO_sHuNp_sU
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 653
    I count 6 gigaton songs with beautiful lyrics at this show.
  • BW285110BW285110 Posts: 30
    These are different things.  A whole different concept.  I'm not saying 2022 is terrible.  I'm not telling you to stay home.  I'm just saying there is no argument that the "tighter" (much shorter) setlist is better.  And 2022 is not what anyone hoped for or really expected.  In 2013, PJ seemed to reach their rightful place as one of the elite American bands.  Playing an epic unique show every night that was nothing short of fantastic, and always better than you expected.  So far, 2022 is not that.  Hopefully as the tour progresses the shows will get a bit longer.  When/if they start approaching 28 or so songs, this will no longer be an issue.  The show last night was great, it was just too short.  I think someone above hit the nail on the head.  It's like the 6 to 8 song first encore is missing.

LA Sports Arena
    11/23/2013

Pendulum
    Release
    Corduroy
    Lightning Bolt
    Mind Your Manners
    Why Go
    Dissident
    Getaway
    Got Some
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    I Got Id
    Sirens
    State Of Love And Trust
    The Long Road
    Jeremy
    Leatherman
    Eruption
    Spin The Black Circle
    Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1
    Yellow Moon
    Footsteps
    All Or None
    Come Back
    I Believe In Miracles
    Given To Fly
    Once
    Porch

ENCORE 2
    Unthought Known
    Black
    Alive
    Baba O'Riley
    Indifference

—————————————————————

The Forum
    5/6/2022

Of The Girl
    Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Corduroy
    Dance Of The Clairvoyants
    Quick Escape
    Faithfull
    Not For You
    Buckle Up
    Even Flow
    Never Destination
    Down
    Nothingman
    Present Tense
    Who Ever Said
    Porch

ENCORE
    State Of Love And Trust
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    Black
    Alive
    Yellow Ledbetter

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,828
    edited May 2022
    The only reason I am ok with 22-24 is that there are no covers.  The only difference between a 22 song setlist with no covers and a 28 song setlist with 6 covers, is that with one of those, I get to bed about an hour later.  

Also, it is hard to compare anything to 2013.  Looking back, I dont think we realized just how great of a run the 2013-2014 LB Tour really was until recently.  

Wrigley 2013, which would have been the greatest PJ set of all time, plus an INCREDIBLE 2013 fall run which hit nearly every part of the country.
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    The only reason I am ok with 22-24 is that there are no covers.  The only difference between a 22 song setlist with no covers and a 28 song setlist with 6 covers, is that with one of those, I get to bed about an hour later.  

Also, it is hard to compare anything to 2013.  Looking back, I dont think we realized just how great of a run the 2013-2014 LB Tour really was until recently.  

Wrigley 2013, which would have been the greatest PJ set of all time, plus an INCREDIBLE 2013 fall run which hit nearly every part of the country.
    Yes 2013 was epic. But it’s not just 2013. Most shows since then have around 30 songs. 

One thing you don’t get from the setlists is how much Eddie talks. He has become a very engaging frontman, but he talks A LOT. I mean 5 songs a lot. The 2:25 running time is misleading. You have to go back decades to find PJ shows at 22 songs. 
  • deadlax97deadlax97 Posts: 33
    of the girl, down, faithfull, not for you, and present tense on an album tour with opener is pretty nice. only 4 Ten songs (you'd get 6-7 most evening with shows) and 1 vs. song is pretty interesting. 

would be very cool if they dropped the guaranteed even flow, porch, and alive and rotated them along with RVM, Given to Fly, DTE, Corduroy, daughter, and betterman and that would strike a balance between the folks who want longer shows (when you know nothing is guaranteed) and the bands desire to play these 1 encore shows. 

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,451
    SD set was a little scary, but this one renewed my faith! I am getting so pumped for Sac 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Charlie_modCharlie_mod Posts: 136
    LA FORUM   5-6-22
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,514

Pearl Jam - FAITHFUL - Live Los Angeles, CA

https://youtu.be/oO_sHuNp_sU
    Just beautiful  my friend 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    BW285110 said:
    These are different things.  A whole different concept.  I'm not saying 2022 is terrible.  I'm not telling you to stay home.  I'm just saying there is no argument that the "tighter" (much shorter) setlist is better.  And 2022 is not what anyone hoped for or really expected.  In 2013, PJ seemed to reach their rightful place as one of the elite American bands.  Playing an epic unique show every night that was nothing short of fantastic, and always better than you expected.  So far, 2022 is not that.  Hopefully as the tour progresses the shows will get a bit longer.  When/if they start approaching 28 or so songs, this will no longer be an issue.  The show last night was great, it was just too short.  I think someone above hit the nail on the head.  It's like the 6 to 8 song first encore is missing.

LA Sports Arena
    11/23/2013

Pendulum
    Release
    Corduroy
    Lightning Bolt
    Mind Your Manners
    Why Go
    Dissident
    Getaway
    Got Some
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    I Got Id
    Sirens
    State Of Love And Trust
    The Long Road
    Jeremy
    Leatherman
    Eruption
    Spin The Black Circle
    Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1
    Yellow Moon
    Footsteps
    All Or None
    Come Back
    I Believe In Miracles
    Given To Fly
    Once
    Porch

ENCORE 2
    Unthought Known
    Black
    Alive
    Baba O'Riley
    Indifference

—————————————————————

The Forum
    5/6/2022

Of The Girl
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Corduroy
    Quick Escape
    Faithfull
    Not For You
    Buckle Up
    Even Flow
    Never Destination
    Down
    Nothingman
    Present Tense
    Who Ever Said
    Porch

ENCORE
    State Of Love And Trust
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    Black
    Alive
    Yellow Ledbetter

If you find yourself speaking for EVERYONE, you're probably overstating things. 
    BW285110 said:

LA Sports Arena
    11/23/2013

Pendulum
    Release
    Corduroy
    Lightning Bolt
    Mind Your Manners
    Why Go
    Dissident
    Getaway
    Got Some
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    I Got Id
    Sirens
    State Of Love And Trust
    The Long Road
    Jeremy
    Leatherman
    Eruption
    Spin The Black Circle
    Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1
    Yellow Moon
    Footsteps
    All Or None
    Come Back
    I Believe In Miracles
    Given To Fly
    Once
    Porch

ENCORE 2
    Unthought Known
    Black
    Alive
    Baba O'Riley
    Indifference

—————————————————————

The Forum
    5/6/2022

Of The Girl
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Corduroy
    Quick Escape
    Faithfull
    Not For You
    Buckle Up
    Even Flow
    Never Destination
    Down
    Nothingman
    Present Tense
    Who Ever Said
    Porch

ENCORE
    State Of Love And Trust
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    Black
    Alive
    Yellow Ledbetter

Speaking for everyone was not really my intention, but since you brought it up, yes, on behalf of everyone, 33 is more than 22.
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    BW285110 said:
    I don’t think the days of longer sets are necessarily a thing of the past, I just think everyone needs to realize this tour isn’t an “Evening with PJ” format. When there’s no opening band, they can come on earlier and play a longer set with multiple encores. But when there’s an opener, there’s just not enough time for them to play 30+ song sets. It’s as simple as that. 

I think most shows will be 22-24 songs on average with maybe 2-3 stops on the tour getting a 26-27 song set. 
    There have been openers for many years. The norm became for PJ to routinely pay the fine and play well past curfew. 
    I could be wrong, but the last time they had an opening band was around 2009/2010. And that was the only time with an opening band where they averaged 28 songs per show. All the other years prior with an opening act, they averaged anywhere between 24-26 songs on a given night. 

Then from 2012 to 2018 is where we saw the dramatic uptick to 30 songs on average in set list length, and those were the “Evening with PJ” years. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,360
    Maybe it’s a supply chain issue? Do they order their songs from overseas? 
    I'm not sure how to say this more succinctly, but I am laughing out loud at this post.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.

I get they are proud of gig, and they should be, but nearly half the show dedicated to it (given the set list reputation they worked hard to establish) is going to be an adjustment for many fans.  Maybe traveling cross country or internationally may not be as appealing.
    How is six out of 22 songs nearly half the show?  It's barely more than a quarter of the show in terms of number of songs, and probably less than that in terms of time because of the extended jams in older songs like "Even Flow," "Corduroy" and "Present Tense."
    The Gigaton songs seem to be DOA live on a proper tour based on the crowd reactions tonight. Wonder if SD crowd was like this. Will see if it changes tomorrow and in Phoenix

The weird part is they sound GREAT musically and the lyrics are the weak points. Not understanding or knowing any of the words doesn't help I think.

Outside of my msg and st. Louis shows glad I'm not too invested in the fall run. 

Hopefully MSG gets the proper show treatment on 9/11.
    Gigaton has been out for two years now, which should be plenty of time to digest a good percentage of the lyrics or at least be able to sing along to the choruses by now. 

But I get what you’re saying completely. Eddie got too wordy and tried to fit in too much on certain Gigaton songs which makes it hard for any crowd to sing along to. Case in point, Seven O’Clock is an amazing song when I’m listening to the album, but it doesn’t translate well in a live setting if you ask me. I’ve heard it twice so far and each time I could feel all the momentum and excitement they had built up, just leave the crowd at that moment. 

That’s why I only really expect Who Ever Said, Never Destination, SBWM & Quick Escape to be the true set list mainstays on future tours.
    The Gigaton songs seem to be DOA live on a proper tour based on the crowd reactions tonight. Wonder if SD crowd was like this. Will see if it changes tomorrow and in Phoenix

The weird part is they sound GREAT musically and the lyrics are the weak points. Not understanding or knowing any of the words doesn't help I think.

Outside of my msg and st. Louis shows glad I'm not too invested in the fall run. 

Gigaton has been out for two years now, which should be plenty of time to digest a good percentage of the lyrics or at least be able to sing along to the choruses by now. 

But I get what you’re saying completely. Eddie got too wordy and tried to fit in too much on certain Gigaton songs which makes it hard for any crowd to sing along to. Case in point, Seven O’Clock is an amazing song when I’m listening to the album, but it doesn’t translate well in a live setting if you ask me. I’ve heard it twice so far and each time I could feel all the momentum and excitement they had built up, just leave the crowd at that moment. 

That’s why I only really expect Who Ever Said, Never Destination, SBWM & Quick Escape to be the true set list mainstays on future tours.
    I have had a totally different experience at Ohana and in San Diego with respect to "Seven O'Clock."  I thought it sounded great and really built to a powerful, emotional climax.  People near me at both venues seemed to be into it.  I was singing along with every word.  (I do agree with you that Eddie went a little word-crazy on this album.)
  • The Gigaton songs seem to be DOA live on a proper tour based on the crowd reactions tonight. Wonder if SD crowd was like this. Will see if it changes tomorrow and in Phoenix

I'd like to see Take the Long Way mixed in a little more myself. I'm seeing them Monday night in Glendale hopefully it makes an appearance. I thought it sounded great at Ohana.
    The band has built up an expectation for their shows over the years. That's what drives ppl to travel and go to so many shows. For us to be disappointed that that's suddenly changed doesn't mean we don't still love the band.
    I don’t know about you or anyone else, but what drives me to travel to see this band is their live performances, the revolving set list & never seeing the same show twice and meeting other like minded fans like myself in other cities/countries. It was never about how many songs or how long they played. 

I’ve always said, expectations are a dangerous thing because you’re only setting yourself up for disappointment if you go into any show expecting anything more than a good time. 
  • Maybe it’s a supply chain issue? Do they order their songs from overseas? 
    I deal with that crap Every Day at work, so I actually registered for this message board and paid to join Ten Club just so I can quote this and tell you I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna wet myself. 
  • mdevitremdevitre Posts: 26
    Pretty damn good for a bunch of senior citizens!!! 
    [X]  Ventura, California (May 12, 1992)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (December 01, 1993)
    [X]  Mountain View, California (October 01, 1994)
    [X]  San Diego, California (November 06, 1995)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 14, 1996)
    [X]  Seattle, Washington (September 16, 1996)
    [X]  San Diego, California (July 10, 1998)
    [X]  Great Western Forum (July 13, 1998)
    [X]  Inglewood, California (July 14, 1998)
    [X]  Las Vegas, Nevada (October 22, 2000)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (October 24, 2000)
    [X]  San Diego, California (October 25, 2000)
    [X]  Irvine, California (June 02, 2003)
    [X]  San Diego, California (June 05, 2003)
    [X]  Los Angeles, California (July 09, 2006)
    [X]  Hollywood, California (July 12, 2006)
    [X]  Santa Barbara, California (July 13, 2006)
    [X]  Universal City, California (September 30, 2009)
    [X]  Gibson Amphitheater (October 07, 2009)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 23, 2013)
    [X]  Los Angeles, CA (November 24, 2013)
    [X]  Greenville (April 16, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 1 (August 05, 2016)
    [X]  Boston 2 (August 07, 2016)
  • ClownofThornsClownofThorns Posts: 165
    BW285110 said:
    BW285110 said:

LA Sports Arena
    11/23/2013

Pendulum
    Release
    Corduroy
    Lightning Bolt
    Mind Your Manners
    Why Go
    Dissident
    Getaway
    Got Some
    Garden
    Do The Evolution
    I Got Id
    Sirens
    State Of Love And Trust
    The Long Road
    Jeremy
    Leatherman
    Eruption
    Spin The Black Circle
    Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1
    Yellow Moon
    Footsteps
    All Or None
    Come Back
    I Believe In Miracles
    Given To Fly
    Once
    Porch

ENCORE 2
    Unthought Known
    Black
    Alive
    Baba O'Riley
    Indifference

—————————————————————

The Forum
    5/6/2022

Of The Girl
    Superblood Wolfmoon
    Corduroy
    Quick Escape
    Faithfull
    Not For You
    Buckle Up
    Even Flow
    Never Destination
    Down
    Nothingman
    Present Tense
    Who Ever Said
    Porch

ENCORE
    State Of Love And Trust
    Wishlist
    Do The Evolution
    Black
    Alive
    Yellow Ledbetter

Speaking for everyone was not really my intention, but since you brought it up, yes, on behalf of everyone, 33 is more than 22.
    Agree to disagree.