Options

The Democracy vs Authoritarianism Thread

124»

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,688
    It didn’t seem so bad before trump, the blame the immigrant phenomenon. Either by coincidence or his influence, it’s been terrible since 2016, and it seems the number one issue in these countries and brexit as well, is to stop immigration 
    Brexit was a long time coming apparently.

We have had rumblings about our borders here in the US for as long as I can remember.  Some states have been more vocal than others.  AZ was one where I lived at that it was always a hot topic.  I lived there on 3 separate occasions.

Here in NY it wasn't a really big issue until MS13 became a thing and issuing drivers licenses to illegals/undocumented.

Edit:  I went to thinking about this and it all happened during Trump.

Interesting.

Yes I slept walked thru those years. The gangs problem in NY was a huge wake up call. A question of why existing laws weren’t enforced when gang activity became widespread, so we wouldn’t get an anti immigrant fascist president.
    So at the end of Obamas run the police were told NOT to arrest/deport the Hispanic/Latinos that were here illegally/undocumented.  I have quite a few friends and family in LE that would talk about how their hands were tied and couldn't do anything.  

but told focus on felons and other criminal undocumented.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    It didn’t seem so bad before trump, the blame the immigrant phenomenon. Either by coincidence or his influence, it’s been terrible since 2016, and it seems the number one issue in these countries and brexit as well, is to stop immigration 

We have had rumblings about our borders here in the US for as long as I can remember.  Some states have been more vocal than others.  AZ was one where I lived at that it was always a hot topic.  I lived there on 3 separate occasions.

Here in NY it wasn't a really big issue until MS13 became a thing and issuing drivers licenses to illegals/undocumented.

Interesting.

Yes I slept walked thru those years. The gangs problem in NY was a huge wake up call. A question of why existing laws weren’t enforced when gang activity became widespread, so we wouldn’t get an anti immigrant fascist president.
    So at the end of Obamas run the police were told NOT to arrest/deport the Hispanic/Latinos that were here illegally/undocumented.  I have quite a few friends and family in LE that would talk about how their hands were tied and couldn't do anything.  

No, that wasn't the case either.  Whenever another incident happened and they had been arrested before it became an uproar though.

Then we still have bail reform that we were all lied to about.  I defended that one for a while.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Interesting.

No, that wasn't the case either.  Whenever another incident happened and they had been arrested before it became an uproar though.

Then we still have bail reform that we were all lied to about.  I defended that one for a while.

wasnt the case according to whom?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Interesting.

Sorry, not following. Can you be more specific?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Interesting.

not arrest ANY undocumented was told you you by whom?

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Interesting.

not arrest ANY undocumented was told you you by whom?
    Friends in Law enforcement here on long Island.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm just telling you what friends in law enforcement told me back then.  They were in it and the source.  Never bothered to ask further about the meetings they had in the stations but I could always go back and ask if you're interested?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I'm just telling you what friends in law enforcement told me back then.  They were in it and the source.  Never bothered to ask further about the meetings they had in the stations but I could always go back and ask if you're interested?

no. they lied to you. or werent fully honest. or were lied to by command.

if even fox news is reporting it fairly, kinda says something, no?

the thing was, dont arrest solely on the basis of status. commit a crime, from the criminal code(immigration status is not) enter the due process process. 

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

the thing was, dont arrest solely on the basis of status. commit a crime, from the criminal code(immigration status is not) enter the due process process. 
    That is quite a few people that would have lied then which I would find really hard to believe that I got the same story from different LE's.  When we get together I will ask them to remember or if I even remember to ask, about that time.  It would be interesting to hear more about it.

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,113
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

That is quite a few people that would have lied then which I would find really hard to believe that I got the same story from different LE's.  When we get together I will ask them to remember or if I even remember to ask, about that time.  It would be interesting to hear more about it.

A very complicated topic. Lengthy paper from 2018…

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/homesec/R45292.pdf
  • Options

Anti-immigrant rhetoric and sentiment in America is almost as old as America itself.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

A very complicated topic. Lengthy paper from 2018…

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/homesec/R45292.pdf
    So MS13 I have talked about in length.  The paper you posted confirms what I had been saying for years, there is no head of them.

I would tell people that MS13 is like the movie the Postman where cells of post offices just started happening without organization from other ones.  MS13 is the same way.  Someone from Texas moves to Maine and could start their own clique there and not have to answer to anyone else.

It's an idea that will never die.  Hopefully its numbers dwindle but I don't ever see it going away.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    brianlux said:
    OnWis97 said:
    There are a couple of places this could go but apparently if you work at the University of Idaho, per state law, you could be fired (or even charged with a crime) for talking about abortion or distributing birth control.

https://jezebel.com/university-of-idaho-told-faculty-they-could-be-fired-fo-1849582850

Idaho is leading the way.

Sadly, I'm not surprised.   Idaho really is a physically beautiful state but it's moving rapidly in to an uber right-wing state and leaps and bounds. 
    I hear that tell of some of the hard-line right wingers here in conservative El Dorado County are hot to trot off to that state.  Adios!
    Isn't Idaho the militia capital?  I think it was there or Montana I was interested in survival training years ago and it was one of those states.  This was before I knew these organizations had other motives...

I've heard/read that militia groups are strong in Idaho but then it looks like Southern Poverty Law Center has identified more militia groups in other states, especially Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and  Texas.   They have identified 1274 "patriot groups" that "engage in groundless conspiracy theorizing, or advocate or adhere to extreme anti-government doctrines.

This all get a bit confusing though because there are illegal militia groups but also those that are legally authorized by state and federal governments.  What did George Carlin say about us being a "war-like nation"?   No kidding!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.