The Democracy vs Authoritarianism Thread

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
edited April 2022 in A Moving Train
Having read a lot about the rise of authoritarianism and the dangers Democracy is facing for it's viable future, I thought it would be useful to have a thread in which we talk about this issues as it continues to grow more and more in it's reality and importance.

I'll start the thread with this article that I'm gifting from the New York Times (at least I hope I've done this right and the link works- let me know if not and I'll copy and past the article):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    61 viewings and no response.  Well, that's actually kind of cool to know that the threat of authoritarianism taking over much of the world is not such a big concern after all.  Such a relief!   I gotta stop reading shit and go rock me some Ted Nugent and maybe a little Kid Rock.  Yaaaarrrr!  God Bless these fuckers!
    Donald Trump hosts man who called for death of Barack Obama and Hillary  Clinton at White House  The Independent  The Independent

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    edited April 2022
    patience grasshopper
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    patience grasshopper

Yes master.  :smile:
    But what I'm wondering is, is the topic to close to the bone?  Or have I been deluded by things I have read that would indicate Democracy truly is endangered?  Is it too hot a topic?  I suppose we shall see. 

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    patience grasshopper

Yes master.  :smile:
    But what I'm wondering is, is the topic to close to the bone?  Or have I been deluded by things I have read that would indicate Democracy truly is endangered?  Is it too hot a topic?  I suppose we shall see. 
    People thought that it was happening w Trump being elected.  I say no way.  Watch that China video where they are locking people up in their homes.  We aren't headed in that direction by a person.

I think we are heading that direction because of technology though.
    edited April 2022
    so, the offered opinion piece illustrates how single person rule as seen in countries such as Russia and China can lead to errors with global consequences, but only in that our mistakes have been to be too reliant on such countries for certain products thereby being affected by those errors. Not necessarily as I read the op, which strikes me as rather alarmist in tone. understandable to a point as something to watch and guard  against for sure but I dont believe we are there or even close really.

Observation about traction, yesterday was a really super light day of activity here. something like 10 or so posts all day including your 2 after posting this thread. no way to know if it was guests or bots giving a look or if it was members passing on by for now. just something to consider.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Great topic Brian, AMT has been a little sparse of late. The members may be a bit preoccupied whether to fork over for MSG, Camden or hop on a plane to your great state for the multitude of shows there or maybe Ohana, are you going to any?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited April 2022
    I got paywalled by the story, so I might be missing some of your point.

Worldwide and in the US there is a growing fascination with authoritarianism. Now, if you ask most Trump voters if they want dictatorship, they'll say "no" and they'll be telling the truth. Yet every step along the way will be supported.

I used to talk about it on here but few people were interested and one member in particular got sick of it. In the United States, I think people are pretty confident that the Republic will survive and that authoritarianism can't happen here. 

I still think it's a major concern. In tact, I think it's happening. The GOP is weakening our faith in democracy. They NEVER lose elections; they're always rigged. For the first time in my life, the primary enemy is domestic. The Dems? They just don't seem to see the gravity of the situation.

Someone I think everyone* should be following is Sarah Kendzior, a scholar of authoritarian states and someone who's predicted almost everything that has happened.

*well, almost everyone; people like probably should not  be following her.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Yes there is definitely a growing fascination.  Information and news is split into so many different directions,  it's easy for trump supporters to go through life with their world view constantly confirmed and unchallenged 

An interesting line from Friedmans article:

"High-coercion authoritarian systems are low-information systems — so they often drive blind more than they realize."
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Yes there is definitely a growing fascination.  Information and news is split into so many different directions,  it's easy for trump supporters to go through life with their world view constantly confirmed and unchallenged 

An interesting line from Friedmans article:

"High-coercion authoritarian systems are low-information systems — so they often drive blind more than they realize."
    This^^^

Real news is fake...fake news is real.  And there is no convincing them differently.

We are in a very strange time and I fear this exposes our main weakness which is freedom of speech. How can the government envisioned by the founding fathers function when the very right they cherished is being used to destroy it?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Sometimes I look at a topic and then think about it before I might post. :)  Great topic, Brian.
    I'm wondering where the word "freedom" fits in with authoritarianism. They don't seem compatible to me. Pigs will fly before I'd vote for a candidate who wants to eliminate freedoms that so many Americans died to protect, including family members. Our Democracy is based on ideas that I still support and will work to keep and improve. Some things have become corrupted but that doesn't mean I won't work to eliminate the corruption, not the ideals.

Falling down,...not staying down
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Kat said:
    Sometimes I look at a topic and then think about it before I might post. :)  Great topic, Brian.
    I'm wondering where the word "freedom" fits in with authoritarianism. They don't seem compatible to me. Pigs will fly before I'd vote for a candidate who wants to eliminate freedoms that so many Americans died to protect, including family members. Our Democracy is based on ideas that I still support and will work to keep and improve. Some things have become corrupted but that doesn't mean I won't work to eliminate the corruption, not the ideals.

I’d rather leave than fight. When nearly half of the aged nation is in opposition and the younger generations actually prefer autocracy to democracy, I think it’s a losing battle.

I’ve been to better countries. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    brianlux said:
    Having read a lot about the rise of authoritarianism and the dangers Democracy is facing for it's viable future, I thought it would be useful to have a thread in which we talk about this issues as it continues to grow more and more in it's reality and importance.

I'll start the thread with this article that I'm gifting from the New York Times (at least I hope I've done this right and the link works- let me know if not and I'll copy and past the article):

Have not read due to having to sign up for an account type thing
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    dankind said:
    Kat said:

I’d rather leave than fight. When nearly half of the aged nation is in opposition and the younger generations actually prefer autocracy to democracy, I think it’s a losing battle.

I'm not sure that is true about the younger generation. They are less religious and less capitalist in my view.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Kat said:

What about a candidate that believes freedom of speech needs to be limited? i.e. OAN being restricted as to what "news" they can report without certain elements of truth?

Imagine the bureaucracy that would have to exist to police that. But isn't it necessary? How can these places be allowed to spew such bullshit?

Thanks for great posts all around, good people, and apologies for my impatience! (I'm thinking another 70 years and I should be hitting around the 85 to 90% level of perfection, lol)

The general consensus here seems to be (in a nutshell) "No way will we become an authoritarian nation."  I wish I felt that way (yes, Mickey, I do feel a bit "alarmist" about this topic, it's true.)  My concern stems from what I see as a long, slow trend toward becoming a nation less interested in "government by the people" and more prone to "follow the leader" and "don't ask me to get involved".  Blind acceptance is slowly becoming the norm.  That opens the door to authoritarianism.

And another point (which will lead me out on a limb) regards population trend.  This is something I have been observing for several decades:  Well educated people tend to procreate less, poorly educated people tend to procreate more.  This, I believe, is part of the reason for the "dumbing down" of America.  It's also part off the reason for more and more people being willing to stand behind a man like Trump who can appeal to the more base human nature and less to an intelligent viewpoint.  Frankly, that scares me.  And I have to admit, I am part of the problem.  I'm well educated (fact, not brag) and I had no kids (though I did help raise two boys and I did work as a teacher, so maybe I can cut myself a little slack there).

I hope I'm wrong about a lot of what I perceive as happening to this country.  I fear I am right.

Thanks again for good input here, and LONG LIVE DEMOCRACY! 

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Kat said:

What about a candidate that believes freedom of speech needs to be limited? i.e. OAN being restricted as to what "news" they can report without certain elements of truth?

Imagine the bureaucracy that would have to exist to police that. But isn't it necessary? How can these places be allowed to spew such bullshit?
    I'm certain that the founding fathers never envisioned something like the internet. It was such a simpler time, right? Humans can be very smart when they want to be...we have to come up with a solution to limit the spread of total BS and obvious lies. That isn't free speech to me...it's harmful. Something like a Supreme Court but a group that has oversight and the final say...without being politicized. Am I a dreamer...probably. How does one get a majority to even agree to do that? ah...voting. It would need an amendment to the Constitution, right? sigh.
    Falling down,...not staying down
    Kat said:
    Kat said:

I'm certain that the founding fathers never envisioned something like the internet. It was such a simpler time, right? Humans can be very smart when they want to be...we have to come up with a solution to limit the spread of total BS and obvious lies. That isn't free speech to me...it's harmful. Something like a Supreme Court but a group that has oversight and the final say...without being politicized. Am I a dreamer...probably. How does one get a majority to even agree to do that? ah...voting. It would need an amendment to the Constitution, right? sigh.
    I'm convinced that we have to eliminate the true fake news and clamp down on the first amendment in the process. We can't rely on capitalism to squash it by not advertising on their networks because there are enough ignorant people to support it.

It really is spelled out perfectly in Idiocracy. Fucking president Camacho.

dankind said:
    Kat said:

I'm not sure that is true about the younger generation. They are less religious and less capitalist in my view.
    Harvard (and University of Melbourne) does get stuff wrong, but I suggest that you read not only this article but also the robust study to which it refers: https://qz.com/848031/harvard-research-suggests-that-an-entire-global-generation-has-lost-faith-in-democracy/.

One note I took from it that addresses your comment directly is that it has nothing to do with religion or capitalism; it’s more about successfully getting things accomplished. And millennials and Gen Z think that more progress can be made under authoritarian rule. 

Prove them wrong, and democracy might have a shot. 

Spoiler alert: Washington, D.C., will not prove them wrong. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    But do they prefer a religious conservative authoritarian or a liberal one? 

I'm all for a liberal one.

edited April 2022
    Wow. 

“If you hate something …”
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited April 2022
    OnWis97 said:
    I got paywalled by the story, so I might be missing some of your point.

Worldwide and in the US there is a growing fascination with authoritarianism. Now, if you ask most Trump voters if they want dictatorship, they'll say "no" and they'll be telling the truth. Yet every step along the way will be supported.

I used to talk about it on here but few people were interested and one member in particular got sick of it. In the United States, I think people are pretty confident that the Republic will survive and that authoritarianism can't happen here. 

I still think it's a major concern. In tact, I think it's happening. The GOP is weakening our faith in democracy. They NEVER lose elections; they're always rigged. For the first time in my life, the primary enemy is domestic. The Dems? They just don't seem to see the gravity of the situation.

Someone I think everyone* should be following is Sarah Kendzior, a scholar of authoritarian states and someone who's predicted almost everything that has happened.

*well, almost everyone; people like probably should not  be following her.
    haha, are you referring to me? don't worry, I won't do this if you mention me:

Will Smith erupts on Chris Rock in uncensored Oscars video
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    61 viewings and no response.  Well, that's actually kind of cool to know that the threat of authoritarianism taking over much of the world is not such a big concern after all.  Such a relief!   I gotta stop reading shit and go rock me some Ted Nugent and maybe a little Kid Rock.  Yaaaarrrr!  God Bless these fuckers!
    Donald Trump hosts man who called for death of Barack Obama and Hillary  Clinton at White House  The Independent  The Independent

man, the ol' man gets riled up when his threads don't take off like a rocket! haha. it's all good brian. sometimes this place ebbs and flows. it's a topic of interest for sure. And I see it's now getting some traction. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

you're all for a liberal authoritarian??
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I just read the article (thanks Mickey, I was paywalled on your link Brian). while initially I was alarmed at Trump and his obvious reaches for authoritarianism, and some of his party's willingness to embrace it. But we have seen that democracy still works. sure, each party would probably love to be in power forever. In theory. But I can't see things changing so drastically that it actually comes to fruition. the limits are being tested, but so far, she's holding. And I think it would even withstand further onslaught than it already has. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

you're all for a liberal authoritarian??
    yes....an FDR

I had a guy in my office a few days ago picking up his tax returns. This is the guy I mentioned in another thread that refused to pay his 2021 quarterly tax estimates because of Biden and now paid a big penalty for that.

He was yammering about how things were going to change soon because of god. Suggesting that Biden would be out and, I assume, tRump/god back in.

Funny because a year ago in January we talked around insurrection time and he asked me if I though Biden was still going to be POTUS in a week or whatever. I said "yeah of course tRump lost" and he couldn't believe it.

This guy is my insurance agent.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    The weird thing is you see people following along cause what is happening they believe already or can be convinced easily.  But as soon as you have 1 dissent...you are removed from the pack.  

"First they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a socialist.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out— because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me."

Just look at Disney.  Disney hasn't really done much of anything.  Then they have to come out in support of their gay workers and instantly cancelled by the soft people that bitch about cancel culture.  They continue to bitch and complain and accuse everyone of exactly what they are doing.  

So I have no idea if it could happen here or not.  6 years ago I would have said no way.  But I also said Trump wouldn't win the nomination....then he wouldn't win the election....then the party would run away from his bs back towards their core values.....So what the hell do I know!

hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    edited April 2022
    I had a guy in my office a few days ago picking up his tax returns. This is the guy I mentioned in another thread that refused to pay his 2021 quarterly tax estimates because of Biden and now paid a big penalty for that.

He was yammering about how things were going to change soon because of god. Suggesting that Biden would be out and, I assume, tRump/god back in.

Funny because a year ago in January we talked around insurrection time and he asked me if I though Biden was still going to be POTUS in a week or whatever. I said "yeah of course tRump lost" and he couldn't believe it.

Like functional alcoholics, the past 6 years has proven there are a lot of functional morons in the USA.
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481

I’d get a new insurance agent.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©