OAKLAND where to stay--BART open after the show???

Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,986
Would airport lodging be easiest and a decent choice?   Wondering if the BART ride would be available, looks like it runs til midnight.  Brain mashing times the show would start and end, and all that jazz...

Not really wanting to get hooked for high UBER rates after the show either.

Any expert advice?
"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06

Comments

• NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    There should be BART service after the show in Oakland. You can look at the BART schedule online to confirm the last train times leaving & to where & such, for your own personal situation. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,762
    Is there a Hotel within walking distance?
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Posts: 3,411
    cutz said:
    There are plenty of hotels between the Arena and Oakland airport, not sure of exact distance or cost.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    cutz said:
    You do not want to be walking in the neighborhood near the Coliseum. It is pretty bad. 
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,393
    cutz said:
    I think you mean running distance. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,520
    When we were going to go in 2020, we had booked a cheap super 8 motel that was a fair bit north of the coliseum in Berkely? It was only a few blocks from the BART so it seems like an ok plan.
  • ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 250
    cutz said:
    You do not want to be walking in the neighborhood near the Coliseum. It is pretty bad. 
    It’s not that bad!!! But the price of melons have gone through the roof! 🤣🤣🤣

Be careful!
    Previously known as Elzar
  • JS38594JS38594 Posts: 24
    If you're going north, the last BART train is 12:30am, if you're going south, the last BART train is 1:15am. 

I'd recommend finding a hotel somewhere on the BART line (Berkeley, Oakland, SF, even Hayward or Fremont might have some cheaper options). It would be better than staying near the airport.
    cutz said:
    I guess drive a car and park at the Venue? 
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
              My daughter prefers ^ ^ ^ drive, & park in the venue's parking lot.  She did that for the Pearl Jam concert there in 2013.  I took BART to that venue, and that's how we met up, after I exited BART & walked towards that venue& into the lot, w/ other fellow concert goers. She lived in Oakland for five+years around that time, and cautions about the area. I primarily use BART for the Bay Area's live music events, but that's just me. 
  • I believe the Oakland Airport Hilton (about a 5 minute drive) has a shuttle that runs to the Oakland Arena for events. Double check this as it may have changed with Covid. 

As someone who has lived in the Bay Area my whole life, I'd recommend (as others have) riding BART to and from the show and finding a hotel in San Francisco or Berkeley as both would give you fun places to explore during the day. 
    Mountain View, California (July 19, 1992), Mountain View, California (November 01, 1992), Mountain View, California (October 02, 1994), San Francisco, California (June 24, 1995), San Jose, California (November 04, 1995), Mountain View, California (October 20, 1996), Santa Cruz, California (November 12, 1997), Oakland, California (November 14, 1997), Oakland, California (November 15, 1997), Oakland, California (November 18, 1997), Sacramento, California (July 16, 1998), Portland, Oregon (July 18, 1998), Mountain View, California (October 31, 1999), Mountain View, California (October 31, 2000), Mountain View, California (October 21, 2001), Mountain View, California (October 26, 2003), San Francisco, California (August 28, 2009), Seattle 1 (August 08, 2018), Seattle 2 (August 10, 2018), Ohana 1 (September 26, 2021), Ohana 2 (October 1, 2021), Ohana 3 (October 2, 2021) The Apollo (September 10, 2022), MSG (September 11, 2022). Sacramento (May 13, 2024), Bottlerock (May 25, 2024) 
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    Either that or take BART. I used to go to see the A's and take BART from Fremont. It is cheap and you don't have to worry about the hassle of getting out of the Coliseum parking lot, which can truly suck for big events. But not nearly as bad as trying to get out of Candlestick Park for a Giants or 49ers game.  
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    Either that or take BART. I used to go to see the A's and take BART from Fremont. It is cheap and you don't have to worry about the hassle of getting out of the Coliseum parking lot, which can truly suck for big events. But not nearly as bad as trying to get out of Candlestick Park for a Giants or 49ers game.  
    No clue how to go about BART.

There are a couple of Hotels that are less than a Mile from the Venue, so I would think that shouldn't be too bad of a ride after the Show?
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

There are a couple of Hotels that are less than a Mile from the Venue, so I would think that shouldn't be too bad of a ride after the Show?

Yah but what's the radius of sketchy around the arena? a mile might be too close :)
    BART is a commuter/ mass transit train. That connects Oakland with other cities. Look up where there are BART stations on Google maps and find a hotel that is close to one. 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,551
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Ticketmaster already has prepaid parking available for both nights, but it costs $40. Even worse, the Angels are in town for a night game on May 13th. A dual event at the Coliseum Complex at roughly the same time. BART is definitely the way to go that night.
    edited March 2022
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Are you flying into the area? If so which airport? If Oakland, there could be hotels that have shuttles that can take you to the Coliseum, or you can find a hotel near a BART station. If San Jose, you can find a hotel in San Jose or Milpitas and drive up to Fremont, park and take BART to the stadium. If San Francisco, you can find a hotel near the airport or in The City and take BART to the stadium. It is a long ride and requires a transfer at one station, so it would be the least attractive option. BART website: https://www.bart.gov/ You can check the routes and schedules and station locations. 
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Are you flying into the area? If so which airport? If Oakland, there could be hotels that have shuttles that can take you to the Coliseum, or you can find a hotel near a BART station. If San Jose, you can find a hotel in San Jose or Milpitas and drive up to Fremont, park and take BART to the stadium. If San Francisco, you can find a hotel near the airport or in The City and take BART to the stadium. It is a long ride and requires a transfer at one station, so it would be the least attractive option. BART website: https://www.bart.gov/ You can check the routes and schedules and station locations. 
    I'll be driving in from either Glendale or Vegas.
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

In that case I would find a hotel close to a BART station. You can check Google Maps to see the BART stations and figure out which one to use. Many of them have decent parking due to the amount of commuters that use it. I lived in the South Bay, so I am not as familiar with the stations up north and East of Oakland. I always took the Fremont station and rarely went North of Oakland. Good luck and enjoy the show. 
        If you wanna Lo/no city, as in stay in a town/ you could check out Pleasanton- and the Inns hotels they have next to their West Dublin-Pleasanton BART, & Pleasanton BART also-some are (check) under a 1/2 mile from those BART stations (Owens Drive, Pleasanton) .There'd be a transfer to go the direction of the Oakland Arena Station, but it's not too difficult - just another option, east Bay Area
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

In that case I would find a hotel close to a BART station. You can check Google Maps to see the BART stations and figure out which one to use. Many of them have decent parking due to the amount of commuters that use it. I lived in the South Bay, so I am not as familiar with the stations up north and East of Oakland. I always took the Fremont station and rarely went North of Oakland. Good luck and enjoy the show. 
    Thanks for that advice.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,890
    Am using some of the advice here to see Paul McCartney in Oak on the off night between LA2 and PHX.  Anyone else doing that? 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    Any recommendations on a hotel along the bart?  I think we're going to stay an extra day and wander around san fran.  We'll probably have to fly into san fran too due to lack of options for flying into oakland.  

Was looking at Downtown Oakland for hotels, as it seems be not too far of a Bart ride to the arena, and would reasonable to take it to san fran.  Not sure how sketchy downtown oakland is?

Also really hard to find a suite with 2 beds and a sofabed.  3 people in a group is hard.. lol.
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

Ticketmaster already has prepaid parking available for both nights, but it costs $40. Even worse, the Angels are in town for a night game on May 13th. A dual event at the Coliseum Complex at roughly the same time. BART is definitely the way to go that night.
    You obviously have never tried taking the BART after leaving an A’s game. 😂
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Zod said:
    Any recommendations on a hotel along the bart?  I think we're going to stay an extra day and wander around san fran.  We'll probably have to fly into san fran too due to lack of options for flying into oakland.  

Was looking at Downtown Oakland for hotels, as it seems be not too far of a Bart ride to the arena, and would reasonable to take it to san fran.  Not sure how sketchy downtown oakland is?

Also really hard to find a suite with 2 beds and a sofabed.  3 people in a group is hard.. lol.
    If you plan on staying over to check out SF and since you’re flying into SF anyway, I would highly recommend staying in the city (SF). Plenty of hotel options on Market street & Union Square that have quick BART access. 
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

The wait for BART after a game can be a bit, but I remember it taking a very long time getting out of the parking lot at the Coliseum. And Candlestick was even worse.
    Zod said:

If you plan on staying over to check out SF and since you’re flying into SF anyway, I would highly recommend staying in the city (SF). Plenty of hotel options on Market street & Union Square that have quick BART access. 
    Great suggestion. Nice area and a short Uber ride to all the sites in the City.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,551
    cutz said:
    cutz said:

You obviously know me so well.

People are looking for advice about attending Pearl Jam, not the A's game. The chance of both events getting out at the same time is low. Getting there is the tricky part, as traffic will be a nightmare.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,003
    Zod said:

I find the City hard to stomach these days. i once loved it, but it just seems like everything has gotten crazier there.
    I will say that if anyone is going to SF and wants to experience some unique bars, you should check out Smuggler's Cove and Whitechapel. The Cove is a tiki bar with expertly mixed cocktails and an interior that will blow your mind. Whitechapel is the same, but with a gin focus and old London Underground vibe. You can actually walk from one to the other if you don't mind a small trek.

Sounds like either way you go, BART or drive, to the show on the 13th, it's going to be a little crazy. I'm coming from Vallejo, so I'm definitely driving in and having some beers in the parking lot.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Been awhile since anyone posted here.

What would people choose between the Airport Hilton and the Best Western Plus?

Very similar price....BW includes breakfast.