Comments

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited June 2022
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    It looks like MPP 3554 then the runout that’s on discogs 
    oh interesting. I cannot find the (U) to save my life however. It does have some hand scratched "#2" and other numbers as well
    You are right MRP and I can’t find a U either
    Yea, that is definitely Memphis Record Pressing. I guess since they pressed so many of these, they had to use multiple plants.
    I just assumed united.  Seemed obvious 
    lol...Did you peel that extra label off?
    Nope, I’m leaving it how it came 
    If you happen to come across another MRP pressing let me know. I would be afraid to buy one blindly, cause I would prolly get another United pressing.

That is what I love about getting vinyl on Amazon is that the returns are so easy. Took me forever to find the Reissue of the Reissue MPO pressing of Vitalogy.

Hopefully the Gold pressing is MRP and I won't have to search out a clear one.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 644
    pjpitt89 said:
    Are we sure ALL clear US pressings are from United? I just got home from a trip and mine definitely does not have a (U), and part of the runout contains MRP which I believe is Memphis Record Pressing? I haven't listened yet, because I prefer to clean first and I'm out of distilled water. I did run them on my table and they're mostly flat, minimal warp.

Paging @MedozK
    Great work here. I was wondering why my record sounds so good compared to most reviews. 
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited June 2022
    AW124797 said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    Are we sure ALL clear US pressings are from United? I just got home from a trip and mine definitely does not have a (U), and part of the runout contains MRP which I believe is Memphis Record Pressing? I haven't listened yet, because I prefer to clean first and I'm out of distilled water. I did run them on my table and they're mostly flat, minimal warp.

Paging @MedozK
    Great work here. I was wondering why my record sounds so good compared to most reviews. 
    It still has less depth than the original.  I’m also convinced the levels are different too. a bit less drum and more guitar on the clear (MRP) in my case. Either that or it’s just less powerful drum sounds and by default that brings up the guitar 

It’s slight, but it’s different. The thinness is the only thing that I don’t like.  I wouldn’t say it isn’t good though, it’s just very slightly different.  And being honest the original isn’t the best sounding record to begin with anyway. Good not great 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    AW124797 said:
    pjpitt89 said:

Paging @MedozK
    It still has less depth than the original.  I’m also convinced the levels are different too. a bit less drum and more guitar on the clear (MRP) in my case. Either that or it’s just less powerful drum sounds and by default that brings up the guitar 

It’s slight, but it’s different. The thinness is the only thing that I don’t like.  
    Agree totally. I think that is what happens when they make the overall sound more clear. Takes the depth and bottom end away.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,821
    I have only listened to Side A of my clear MRP. It does have more of a warp than at first look. Sound is nice, I still think my OG is preferred, but it's better than I expected. No distortion and minimal surface noise through one side.

@MedozK I could probably pick you up a copy at the shop where I got mine, but obviously still can't guarantee it's MRP. I just imagine it has a fair shot since they were likely shipped together from the plant.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    pjpitt89 said:
    oh interesting. I cannot find the (U) to save my life however. It does have some hand scratched "#2" and other numbers as well

This is what mine says as well - MRP3554. Mine sounds great and no warping, but I don't have the same audiophile ears that many of you have.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    pjpitt89 said:
    I have only listened to Side A of my clear MRP. It does have more of a warp than at first look. Sound is nice, I still think my OG is preferred, but it's better than I expected. No distortion and minimal surface noise through one side.

@MedozK I could probably pick you up a copy at the shop where I got mine, but obviously still can't guarantee it's MRP. I just imagine it has a fair shot since they were likely shipped together from the plant.
    Thanks for the offer, but I would be afraid for you buying it blindly. I will probably have a better chance buying used for it.

Hopefully the Gold is MRP.

You are probably right though about the MRPs being at your store, prolly from the same distributor who probably received them from the plants.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    pjpitt89 said:

This is what mine says as well - MRP3554. Mine sounds great and no warping, but I don't have the same audiophile ears that many of you have.
    If you aren’t listening back to back you probably wouldn’t notice anyway 

if you thought the original was solid, this one is too 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    I would suggest the Memphis pressing receive its own listing in discogs… but the rules around this are as clear as mud. A separate listing may end up merged anyway.  I would argue that records being pressed at different plants is enough to “distinguish the different versions”.
    I can’t enter a separate submission because I do not have physical possession of the record (another one of the rules). 

Excerpt from their submission guidelines for your reference. 

Unique Releases

1.4.1. Discogs allows the entering of all versions of a release, such as white labels, reissues, different artwork, format variations, colored vinyl, different manufacturers, etc. In order for these to be accepted, you must provide enough information to distinguish the different versions of a release. It may be important to provide as much information as possible for major label releases, such as barcodes, matrix numbers, publishing/copyright dates, and any other identifiable marks. Note that different matrix numbers or barcodes may not necessarily mean that a separate release should be entered, please ask in the forum if in doubt.

• Options
    I would suggest the Memphis pressing receive its own listing in discogs… but the rules around this are as clear as mud. A separate listing may end up merged anyway.  I would argue that records being pressed at different plants is enough to “distinguish the different versions”.
    I can’t enter a separate submission because I do not have physical possession of the record (another one of the rules). 

Unique Releases

1.4.1. Discogs allows the entering of all versions of a release, such as white labels, reissues, different artwork, format variations, colored vinyl, different manufacturers, etc. In order for these to be accepted, you must provide enough information to distinguish the different versions of a release. It may be important to provide as much information as possible for major label releases, such as barcodes, matrix numbers, publishing/copyright dates, and any other identifiable marks. Note that different matrix numbers or barcodes may not necessarily mean that a separate release should be entered, please ask in the forum if in doubt.

Definite unique release. If I owned it I would have already added it.
  • Options
    edited June 2022

Unique Releases

I know for sure in rainbows 45 rpm has two listings plus the misprint and it’s avoided a merge 

the only difference I’m aware of is the where it was pressed 

I’ve seen others get merged for the same reason though 

on a side note, what’s up with all the comments that a made in Germany, Canada etc. isn’t a US release? That’s been going on a lot lately.  Where it’s made isn’t related to if it’s a US release I wouldn’t think 
  • Options
    Different pressing plants are without a doubt different subs on Discogs.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    Different pressing plants are without a doubt different subs on Discogs.
    MedozK said:

Unique Releases

Definite unique release. If I owned it I would have already added it.
    Glad we agree 🤙👍
  • Options
    Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    I got a gold copy from Easy Street on Saturday from what I can make out on the gold copy is: 21-0682NL_19439952191 A
  • Options
    I got a gold copy from Easy Street on Saturday from what I can make out on the gold copy is: 21-0682NL_19439952191 A
    Whoever entered that listing in discogs didn’t enter the runout info or add any pictures. Just a terrible job. Why do something so half-assed? 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Whoever entered that listing in discogs didn’t enter the runout info or add any pictures. Just a terrible job. Why do something so half-assed? 
    And this is why I’m not creating a listing 😂

too much pressure 

then you get 30 inbox notifications for all the revisions that follow 
  • Options
    AW124797AW124797 Posts: 644
    AW124797 said:
    pjpitt89 said:

Paging @MedozK

It’s slight, but it’s different. The thinness is the only thing that I don’t like.  I wouldn’t say it isn’t good though, it’s just very slightly different.  And being honest the original isn’t the best sounding record to begin with anyway. Good not great 
    I thought Jeff and Matt were mixed well here. This makes me want to crack open my original. 
  • Options
    bazfromozbazfromoz Posts: 186
    demetrios said:
    bazfromoz said:
    So anyone know where the Australian copies were pressed? 

Got a photo of the back credits?

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    MRP pressing check in. Flat, quiet, and a bit brighter than my OG pressing, but sounds outstanding!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AW124797 said:
    AW124797 said:
    pjpitt89 said:

Paging @MedozK

I thought Jeff and Matt were mixed well here. This makes me want to crack open my original. 
    Yeah. That part I like. There is also better separation on the clear. 

I would suspect regardless if it’s the reissue or the original that compilation albums are difficult since it’s multiple recordings from multiple locations and making them all go together. 

From what I remember (it’s been a while since I’ve listened) I like vault 3 and 6 a bit more and a good chunk of Lo2L is from those two. That’s not to say I don’t like Lo2L because I do. Both versions 
  • Options
    MRP pressing check in. Flat, quiet, and a bit brighter than my OG pressing, but sounds outstanding!! 
    Dreaded emphasis on the upper/midrange and lower treble sound. Essentially, lacks bottom end. Brightness on a record is subjective, it doesn’t bother some people as much as others. To my ears, it generally makes a record sound harsh and thin. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    Ordered a gold copy from ten club and a clear from Easy Street Records.  Big difference is, easy street records charged me $5 for shipping, ten club charged $12.23.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Dreaded emphasis on the upper/midrange and lower treble sound. Essentially, lacks bottom end. Brightness on a record is subjective, it doesn’t bother some people as much as others. To my ears, it generally makes a record sound harsh and thin. 
    Bass & treble EQ adjustment on my receiver helped a lot! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,772
    Ok.  Readdress here, it looks like mine is MRP as well.  Did anyone else who has the MRP have a warp on disc 2 or hiss/distortion coming out of the right channel on Off He Goes??
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    So this one is mastered at Noiseland Industries. So that is 4 different plants. 3 US, 1 EU (Maybe more EU really haven't even looked into it)
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    So this one is mastered at Noiseland Industries. So that is 4 different plants. 3 US, 1 EU (Maybe more EU really haven't even looked into it)
    What is Noiseland’s reputation? I haven’t heard much discussion on them. 
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Received both my US and EU copies today. Looks like the US is an MRP. Sound pretty good, although I haven't had a chance to do a comparison to the original pressing. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    MedozK said:
    They are fine, usually work with MPO. A lot of the PJ reissues have used NL.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,924
    bazfromoz said:
    demetrios said:
    bazfromoz said:
    So anyone know where the Australian copies were pressed? 

Got a photo of the back credits?

USA pressing.

• Options
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:
    They are fine, usually work with MPO. A lot of the PJ reissues have used NL.
    Sounds good. MPO has a decent reputation. Pulled the trigger on the gold one not knowing if it was United or what lol.