Should Pearl Jam continue with non-transferable tickets?

We have had a bit of experience with the transfer restrictions on the aborted 2020 tour and now the EV tour. Wanted to get a pulse on the current thoughts on whether the transfer restrictions have been beneficial or not compared to prior tours and/or other ticketing experiences.
DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22

Should Pearl Jam continue with non-transferable tickets? 53 votes

Yes - the current system is helping keep out scalpers and allowing fans to get tickets at face
41%
fall by the waysideHailHailVitalogyDeLukinpjl44jwhjr17AngryGregComeToTXhollyberry1DamiensZodBK35942KM73780MR242791TA243471desolatejoyD-RodJason7192jakesbluskyhomeWeston1283JojoRice 22 votes
No - the current system is not working and I would like all tickets to be transferable again (explain)
37%
pjhawksAmishGuy91PJINFLApatkelly12lastexitlondonBillGlorifiedGdreamsterLuckytwn1EH14457BF25394RS65573RS259438goblues82kirb0110PSUS2HRatherStarvedbbiggsthunderrd34lawilczewski2andrew.meepos 20 votes
Maybe - the current system could work but needs some modifications (explain)
20%
Human Tidecarbon436on2legstschavpledgeagrievancemattcozmpedoneCS135344tylerjPJNBrahjiim 11 votes

Comments

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,815
    Yes - the current system is helping keep out scalpers and allowing fans to get tickets at face
    I thought that Fan to Fan was excellent when we had it in 2020.  Gave fans a chance to buy 10c for face value after missing out, and sellers are able to list them in the event they can’t make it.  What more can you want than that?
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Keep the mustache, oops, wrong poll!! 

Jason Sudeikis Ted GIF by Apple TV
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    No - the current system is not working and I would like all tickets to be transferable again (explain)
    Ticket transfers should be allowed for all shows.  If the pending tour's ticket system resembles the recent EV tour's in any way, they're not accomplishing the goal of keeping tickets out of the hands of scalpers, assuming that is even a goal.  They're just pushing them into the hands of one giant scalper (Ticketmaster) rather than several small ones.  The Platinum pricing and held back tickets by TM is a complete scam that left a sour taste in a lot of mouths. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,210
    I liked the 2020 Fan to Fan option. Very easy to use and a great way of getting extra tickets or selling your tickets if you can't go. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 327
    edited February 2022
    I believe a simple solution would be to maintain non-transferable tickets, but with 2 key requirements:

1) The fan-to-fan face value ticket exchange is made available immediately or shortly after the main on-sale, with a firm commitment. It was a scam to promise the exchange but then delay it for 2 months while TM scalped their Platinum tickets. They basically manufactured the "overwhelming" demand they advertised, even though it didn't really exist. I'm amazed that this could be legal. Maybe it's not... 

2) Ticketmaster does not hold back tickets for their Official Platinum scam. Or if the artists insist on allowing Platinum sales, the percentage of tickets held back should be disclosed and the Platinum tickets should have to compete with the fan-to-fan exchange. Just getting rid of Platinum would be better. EV and/or PJ can charge as much as they want, but let's avoid screwing fans over with Ticketmaster's dishonest shenanigans. 
    Post edited by Human Tide on
  • No - the current system is not working and I would like all tickets to be transferable again (explain)
    You should be able transfer your ticket on the TM site for prices below what the purchaser paid (that includes Platinum). At any and all times. The artists got their money. To prevent someone from getting rid of their ticket so that the artist can maximize THEIR profit (while harming the fans) is reprehensible.
  • No - the current system is not working and I would like all tickets to be transferable again (explain)
    bbiggs said:
    Ticket transfers should be allowed for all shows.  If the pending tour's ticket system resembles the recent EV tour's in any way, they're not accomplishing the goal of keeping tickets out of the hands of scalpers, assuming that is even a goal.  They're just pushing them into the hands of one giant scalper (Ticketmaster) rather than several small ones.  The Platinum pricing and held back tickets by TM is a complete scam that left a sour taste in a lot of mouths. 
    +1

There shouldn’t be both non-transferability and dynamic pricing.  One or the other or neither.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    Platinum and dynamic pricing aren't going away. Fine. But don't say we need those tools in today's ticketing market while not extending them to others who want to sell theirs. You can still keep a cap on resale price (to ensure resales for profit aren't taking place). I have a huge problem with the "free market dynamics" for me and not for thee strategy.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    edited February 2022
    I think the non-transferrable and platinum are two different arguments:

1) Yes, to keep using non-transferrable.   PJ often sells tickets below market value.  If they're going to sell them below market value, it helps to increase the chances they're used by fans and not scalped.  I did like 2018 tour idea of 10c tickets being non-transferrable.  I had no problem with that. I also liked the 2020 evolution into the fan2fan portal.   Makes it easy to sell tickets at face, and gives other fans a chance to get tickets to a show they missed out on.  

2) Platinum pricing.  It's left a sour taste in my mouth.  Paid a bunch for night 1 tickets, only to see a bunch posted today at close to face value prices even closer.  Makes me feel like I got taken for the extra I paid for further away tickets.   I fully understand why it's used.   It cuts out scalpers, and TM/Promoter/Band all make more money using it.  It benefits everyone in that industry.   That being said as a fan, and how it went down for the EV shows.  I feel like they allocated too many tickets.   Seattle just put up full rows and sections of tickets. Between what they've sold over the past few months, it feels like a really big portion of the venue was never put up for sale to us plebs.  It also didn't feel great the delayed the F2F ticket selling to sell more platinum tickets.   Kind of screwed some fans over.   Who's going to buy those over priced seattle platinum tickets when now TM and Fan2Fan are offloading tickets at cheaper prices.

That's my thoughts.  Non-Transferrable, yay!, platinum, boo-urns!

It seems like a less than honorary idea to have both systems going at the same time.   I agree with other posters to open up F2F right away, and limit the # of platinum tickets.

Hopefully this was an EV only thing, and future PJ tours keep doing what they're doing.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    I find fan to fan just as ridiculous as platinum seats.  Fan to fan is basically fans who artificially inflate demand and request tickets to shows they aren’t even sure they are even going to. It’s not any better when a large chunk of people sell tickets for face value instead of at a profit when most of them probably shouldn’t have bought them in the first place. I like the idea generally of fan club seats of any popular band being will call only to the original purchaser only or any other way that links a ticket to a person 

If I buy I non refundable airline ticket and can’t go, I can’t sell my ticket to my buddy for face value.  Therefore I don’t buy that ticket unless I’m sure I’m going 

TM seats, that’s fair game for whatever as you shouldn’t  sell platinum seats and then tell me what price I can sell my ticket for. I do think there is a distinction between fan club seats and TM seats 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    I believe a simple solution would be to maintain non-transferable tickets, but with 2 key requirements:

1) The fan-to-fan face value ticket exchange is made available immediately or shortly after the main on-sale, with a firm commitment. It was a scam to promise the exchange but then delay it for 2 months while TM scalped their Platinum tickets. I'm amazed that this is legal. 

2) Ticketmaster does not hold back tickets for their Official Platinum scam. Or if the artists insist on allowing Platinum sales, the percentage of tickets held back should be disclosed and the Platinum tickets should have to compete with the fan-to-fan exchange. Just getting rid of Platinum would be better. EV and/or PJ can charge as much as they want, but let's avoid screwing fans over with Ticketmaster's dishonest shenanigans. 
    This.
  • Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 513
    edited February 2022
    Absolutely not on non-transferable tickets. Ed's tour shows why NY and IL have dictated tickets must be transferable. Platinum Ticketing is here and not going anywhere so that's not even worth discussing. It is the new industry standard.

But Pearl Jam is one of the few, if not only, acts using the fan to fan ticket exchange and it is awful. I have been a 10C member since 1994. 10C ticketing is a privilege and of course, tickets should not be sold for above face value. But to not to allow people to list for BELOW face value is ridiculous when it is the only place you can sell your tickets and quite clearly done to prop the market up. Many people in LA who otherwise would have eaten tickets are actually now bailed out by the show being postponed.
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    edited February 2022
    If PJ insists on shorter tours and doing tickets per leg not having secondary market tickets makes it much harder for fans to see more than 1 show per leg. An East Coast leg makes it almost impossible to get tickets to your second or later choice.  I like the stub hub option for concerts.  It gives me the choice to decide how much I want to pay to see a band:  The Who is coming to Philly but original prices are ridiculous so no need for me to purchase months ahead of time.  I’ll decide as the show gets closer if I want to pay the prices at that time. That works for me but I understand some don’t share that view. I understand a band not wanting secondary market tickets but honestly don’t understand fans who are against it.  In the long run no secondary market ultimately be limits availability to shows to consumers. 

Wouldn’t it be better for those that had Baltimore tickets if secondary market tickets as available for other shows?  Now they are shut out most likely for other shows.  That sucks for them.  

Post edited by pjhawks on
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    Not including the platinum issue.

If it's fan2fan and the only tix available were at face value. Then every venue is full of fans that paid face value.  

I guess the ethical problem in the concert industry, is quite often people are willing to pay more for tickets than the band is charging.  Quite a number of people have more capacity to buy tickets than other people.  Do you focus on making your concerts more accessible to people with moderate income, or do you focus on making them more accessible to people with $$.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,169
    I agree with Yankee 2B Legend Pat Kelly that you should be able to sell below face on f2f. It doesn't seem hard to let you set your price with face being the max but what do I know.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    I like the prevention of scalping, but I don't like the "platinum tickets" thing.

I also agree that users should be allowed to set a price, with Face Value being the limit.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,831

1) The fan-to-fan face value ticket exchange is made available immediately or shortly after the main on-sale, with a firm commitment. It was a scam to promise the exchange but then delay it for 2 months while TM scalped their Platinum tickets. I'm amazed that this is legal. 

Totally agree on both points. If the F2F exchange existed and was live weeks before the tour I’d bet most people would be happier in how everything shook out.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,662
    Platinum and dynamic pricing aren't going away. Fine. 
    They can go away for shows if the artist requests it. Just look at what Garth Brooks is doing. All tix for his current slate of shows are $84.70 plus fees (which are only $7.25). No dynamic pricing, no VIP packages, no Platinum seating, no extra 20 bucks for aisle seats, no charity seats for $500.00, none of it. 
    The only reason there are platinum tickets to EV's shows is he agreed to let it happen.

This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    They can go away for shows if the artist requests it. Just look at what Garth Brooks is doing. All tix for his current slate of shows are $84.70 plus fees (which are only $7.25). No dynamic pricing, no VIP packages, no Platinum seating, no extra 20 bucks for aisle seats, no charity seats for $500.00, none of it. 
    The only reason there are platinum tickets to EV's shows is he agreed to let it happen.

Wow.  Didn't realize that.  I'm guessing Garth Brooks still has a massive fan base too (could be wrong - I don't listen to country), so this proves the artist has full control. 

Of course the artists have control. Only the cucks believe they don't. That is why its not going away.
    bbiggs said:
    Poncier said:

Wow.  Didn't realize that.  I'm guessing Garth Brooks still has a massive fan base too (could be wrong - I don't listen to country), so this proves the artist has full control. 

Yep, he's playing football stadiums (and selling most of them out).
    I don't listen to country either, but great respect to this guy for treating his fans fairly.
    Poncier said:
    bbiggs said:
    Poncier said:

Yep, he's playing football stadiums (and selling most of them out).
    I don't listen to country either, but great respect to this guy for treating his fans fairly.
    Amen.  This recent TM debacle was eye opening.

I wonder if they would ever consider lower prices on 10C tix and make them completely non-transferable. Would fans take that trade-off? Probably a massive headache from a number of angles but not my problem so just throwing it out there. 
    pjl44 said:
    I wonder if they would ever consider lower prices on 10C tix and make them completely non-transferable. Would fans take that trade-off? Probably a massive headache from a number of angles but not my problem so just throwing it out there. 
    I mean, that's basically what they used to do.
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:
    Minus the cheaper price, yeah. Maybe you saved a little on fees? I'm just thinking of the biiiiiig increases the last few tours. Which I generally have no issue with, by the way. 
    pjl44 said:
    Poncier said:
    pjl44 said:
    Minus the cheaper price, yeah. Maybe you saved a little on fees? I'm just thinking of the biiiiiig increases the last few tours. Which I generally have no issue with, by the way. 
    I've never had issue with the cost of PJ tix, they've always been reasonably priced for the marketplace (folks who rail about them not being $23.00 like they were in 1996 are clearly not being realistic or reasonable). And they (the band) have yet to do Platinum tix. So hopefully EV's Earthlings tour is an outlier and PJ tix (if and when new shows are announced) are at their usual reasonable level.
    I expect them to be a bit higher than last shows they sold, but so long as it's a fair increase I take no issue.
    bbiggs said:
    Poncier said:

Of course, the artist has full control. If the artist doesn't want platinum pricing then they have to take much less to play the show. I'm sure Ed's tour is expensive to mount with the band he has and then the venues are quite small. The platinum pricing is understandable but not when combined with the F2F and also when 10C tickets are mostly worse in terms of seat position.

The other issue with the way the platinum ticketing has been handled for Ed's tour, if you look at The Who tour there are tons and tons of platinum tickets but they were all released during the onsale so you can see what's there and how the show is selling. When I saw The Who in 2019, I bought 7th row platinum seats that started at close to $1000 and gradually came down. A few weeks before the show I paid $350. Here the platinum tickets have been released in drips and drabs with all sorts of varying pricing so you really have to track it to know the market.