Canadians travelling for EV Earthling tour/PCR tests

mwplummwplum Posts: 1,530
Asking as there was a similar thread for Ohana that resulted in a great discussion and sharing of information. Back in the Fall, you could do your PCR test in Canada before leaving and then use it for re-entry. 

The new restrictions are much more strict in that they've added that the molecular test "must be done outside Canada" and not more than 72 hours before entry. We were planning on leaving Vancouver for Seattle #2 on Tuesday afternoon by car, and returning immediately after the show. However, this seems impossible under the new rules since most testing facilities take at least 24 hours to return the results.

Is anyone else in the same boat, and if so, have you found any quick return testing facilities or other solutions?

Only other option seems to be to go down earlier, but our 4.5 year old son (also named Eddie) would not be thrilled with spending that long at grandma's house.
1992-07-21 Vancouver
1993-9-4 Vancouver
1996-9-16 Seattle
1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
2000-11-6 Seattle
2001-10-22 Seattle
2002 -12-09 Seattle
2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2

Comments

• Try the Seattle airport.  Many airports have 1 hour testing.  But it's expensive.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited February 2022
    https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/COVID19/TestingforCOVID19/TestingLocations

Does that site help? 

I know there are other molecular tests out there like the NAAT that are cheaper and quicker compared to the PCR. I have not looked into this in awhile though. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    We're taking the coho ferry over to port angeles, then going to seattle from there.

The coho recommend's jim's pharmacy in port angeles but their website is always out of the tests.  Some walgreens seem to allow you to book in advance but only a few days.  Was hoping we could book the walgreens in seqium to get the test done.

We're staying for both shows though, so that gives is plenty of time for a 24 hour turn over.

I will say the requirement kind of seems pointless.   We'll basically get the test as soon as we can when we cross the border, which means if we pick up covid while were there it's not going to show up on any test.

We did find out that the random return test doesn't apply when coming back to Canada by boat though, so that should prevent us from having to quarantine at home until the result of a random test at the border.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,436
    Alternatively, if you documented your recent omicron infection, the states will let you in for 90 days with a Dr.'s note saying you're all better now. Canada letz you back in for 180 days.
  • Manu117Manu117 Posts: 109
    They really need to do away with this ridiculous rule...
    I haven't had covid yet, so I can't get back in that way :(

and yah they really do need to get rid of the rule.  It makes no sense for short trips because everyone gets tested as soon as they cross the border before there's any chance to get infected.    Long trips it also makes little sense as omicron is widespread on both sides of the border.  At this point it's not doing much.
  • Zod said:
    I haven't had covid yet, so I can't get back in that way :(

and yah they really do need to get rid of the rule.  It makes no sense for short trips because everyone gets tested as soon as they cross the border before there's any chance to get infected.    Long trips it also makes little sense as omicron is widespread on both sides of the border.  At this point it's not doing much.
    Agreed.  In addition, there is an easy middle ground.  Just accept antigen test results.  Those are cheaper, faster, more available, and according to some scientists, a better measure of infectiousness.  I don’t support the convoys but the government does need to reconsider some of its policies.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• camhendycamhendy Posts: 164
    I can't speak for driving across the border but I flew to Denver for a leafs/avalanche game and rather than getting a PCR we got a NAAT at the Walgreens drive thru. Totally free, accepted by Canada (at least for flying) and had the results in 2 hours. Good luck! 
    2013: London
    2016: Ottawa
    2018: Wrigley 1 & 2
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Innings Fest (EV), Ft Worth 1 & 2, Austin 1 & 2
    2024: Seattle 1 & 2

• mwplummwplum Posts: 1,530
    Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the responses as I hadn’t thought of SeaTac (unfortunately it seems you have to be a ticketed passenger to do a rapid PCR).

I completely agree about how illogical these rules are for short trips. Hopefully things change soon! According to this CBC article from today, it could be as soon as next week (fingers crossed):

1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
  • mwplum said:
    Thanks everyone! Really appreciate the responses as I hadn’t thought of SeaTac (unfortunately it seems you have to be a ticketed passenger to do a rapid PCR).

I completely agree about how illogical these rules are for short trips. Hopefully things change soon! According to this CBC article from today, it could be as soon as next week (fingers crossed):

Canadian tour in March then!

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• julieferjuliefer Posts: 395
    The Feds are announcing updates to Canada's travel restrictions next week. That doesn't necessarily mean anything will change in time for the Seattle shows, but fingers crossed!!

OP - the quickest and cheapest option I have found is getting a NAAT test at Walgreen's, which apparently gives you results in a few hours but only guarantees it to be within 24 hours, so maybe risky if you're just going down for the day. And you have to pre-book the appointment about 4 days in advance. All the other options are expensive!!

I really hope they get rid of the testing requirement for short trips because I have been losing sleep over this for weeks. I haven't had COVID, as far as I know, but I am concerned about the possibility that I could have had it but I only find out when I take the test in the US and then have to stay there for 11 days before I'm allowed back home. That would not be great.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,251
    mwplum said:

Sweet zombie jebus that's too early. 
  • demetrios said:
    mwplum said:

Sweet zombie jebus that's too early. 
    I know, I know… 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

That would be amazing if the changes worked in our favour for the Seattle shows.

Thanks for the note about the NAAT test.  I didn't realize they were also able to be used for crossing the border.   There's a Walgreen's in Sequim on the drive from Port Angeles to Seattle.  They only seem to book a few days in advance, but hopefully I can book in there to get our tests scheduled.
  • RVMMFCRVMMFC Posts: 435
    Flying in from Toronto for the shows, have a tic to night 2 if anyone has an extra for Night 1 please let me know!

Looking for a testing center downtown near venue so I can test as soon as I land on Sunday and be cleared for return home Wednesday
    " I said there's nothing wrong with what you say. Believe me just asking you to sway. No white or black just grey. Can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?"
    Zod said:
    That would be amazing if the changes worked in our favour for the Seattle shows.

Thanks for the note about the NAAT test.  I didn't realize they were also able to be used for crossing the border.   There's a Walgreen's in Sequim on the drive from Port Angeles to Seattle.  They only seem to book a few days in advance, but hopefully I can book in there to get our tests scheduled.
    Also, double check that that particular test is offered at that location; they don't all offer the same options. (I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at options.) Based on my research, for me, wanting to take a test right after I come across the border on Monday, my only hope of booking an appointment is to get online sometime in the middle of the night between Thur and Fri to book for Monday. If I wait until Friday morning, most or all of the appointments are already filled so they must release the next day's dates sometime after midnight.

That being said, I am REALLY hoping this week's announcement makes all of this unnecessary because it's a huge hassle and stressor!!
    edited February 2022
    juliefer said:
    Zod said:

Also, double check that that particular test is offered at that location; they don't all offer the same options. (I have spent a ridiculous amount of time looking at options.) Based on my research, for me, wanting to take a test right after I come across the border on Monday, my only hope of booking an appointment is to get online sometime in the middle of the night between Thur and Fri to book for Monday. If I wait until Friday morning, most or all of the appointments are already filled so they must release the next day's dates sometime after midnight.

That being said, I am REALLY hoping this week's announcement makes all of this unnecessary because it's a huge hassle and stressor!!

Yah, I'm considering changing my route.  Right now we were going to do Victoria-->ferry-->port Angeles-->bainbridge island-->ferry>seattle.

The place the Coho (US ferry) recommends for rapid PCR tests never has any in stock so you can't book on their site.   There's a Walgreen's in Seqium but they only have PCR tests and the rapid antigen tests.  They don't have NAAT test at that walgreens.  It seems there's a chance the result might not be back within the 48 hours will be in washington state, so it seems kind of risky to go that route.

So now we're thinking of taking the Victoria to Tswassen Ferry, then drive south to Seattle.   It looks like there's a Walgreens close to bellingham that does the NAAT tests (probably the same one you're looking at).  Get that on the drive down, and then take the port angeles way home, as the marine border doesn't have a random covid test on the way home (which the land border does and you have to quarantine until get the result if chosen).

We could test fate with the port angeles ferry, but doing it in a giant loop seems to make more sense.  There's also a number of Walgreen's close to the I5 on the drive south to Seattle, so it might give more than 1 option to book at.

Decisions.. Decisions.  The Ferry from Victoria to Vancouver only has 1 route left with open sailings (7am), might book a reservation just to keep options open.

edit: Even tougher.  That Walgreen's in Bellingham which seems to be one of the few locations that does that test that can be accepted but has a shorter turnaround time, is pretty booked.  I see what you mean by needing to stay up overnight to book a slot :(

To go that route and try get a spot, or go the other way and hope the PCR test is done on time.. argh.
    Post edited by Zod on
    Have you looked at the PCR test available through Air Canada's preferred customer program where Switch does it online? They had a sale last time I looked.
    tish said:
    Have you looked at the PCR test available through Air Canada's preferred customer program where Switch does it online? They had a sale last time I looked.

I haven't, but I'm not flying so i'm not sure how that would work.

You order them ahead and book your online test? Not sure, too. 
    they mail you a test you do online over video with them and get the results within 45 min..Ive ordered one and will do it as soon as i land sunday evening
    " I said there's nothing wrong with what you say. Believe me just asking you to sway. No white or black just grey. Can you feel this world with your heart and not your brain?"
  • Border rules update expected at 1pm ET today.

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Border rules update expected at 1pm ET today.
    What are we expecting and when will it be implemented? 
  • I've heard end of Feb and antigen will become acceptable.  However it's unconfirmed.  I don't have inside info.  Just read that somewhere.  

Waiting for these federal and provincial restriction updates is feeling similar to waiting for concert announcements. I'm eager to find out but also trying to keep my hopes in check because it's unlikely to make any difference in time for these EV shows. (and of course the announcement time RatherStarved noted is exactly when I'm in a work meeting)
    only after the tour - end of month
  • A bit of a lunch bag letdown.  Was hoping they'd reinstate the 72 hour no test exception.  

A bit of a lunch bag letdown.  Was hoping they'd reinstate the 72 hour no test exception.  
    Me too!
    I did find this place that seems to do tests in both Bellingham and Marysville.  Seems to have lots of time available and get the PCR test back within 36 hours which is enough for our 48 hour trip.

It looks almost impossible to get a booking for the NAAT test at a walgreens, and it doesn't sound like there PCR tests come back too often in under 48 hours.

• mwplummwplum Posts: 1,530
    I ended up buying a LAMP test through Switch (partners with Air Canada). Cost was $149 CAD + tax + shipping. It's accepted by the Government, and you do the test live over videochat and then they send you the paperwork immediately. So plan is to cross border, pull over in Blaine, and go down!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle